#40: He simply makes me smile when I see him.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• He looks great, he looks happy and healhty...me likey, me happy!
    • He makes me go broke with a smile on my face!
    • He is excessively, endlessly, adorably CUTE!!!!!!!!
    • God the voice is gorgeous. I'll never take it for granted.
    • Break open those piggy banks! Remember - if you choose to rob a bank, just don't wear a Clay Aiken t-shirt!
    • Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!
    • Clay has some serious mojo!!!
    • He sings. He dances. He talks. He wears PANTS! verra, verra niiiicely. The rest is just noise!
    • Someone take the measure of that man!
    • Who CARES? He's hot!!!
    • But in the final analysis - he could be bald and I would still love him.
    • Is there ever enough Clay?
    • He's Clay, you know. The hotness intensifies as time goes by.

wish me luck, as my computer kept crashing last night my computer wsas automatically diagnosed with a need for a new driver - i confirmed that it was the right driver myself, then went to the offical site myself and did download an update. Installing it now - may not see you for a while - may end up tossing this computer - the clack is on two separate and backed up hard drives - not to worry.

Good luck, Play and hugs for {{{cha cha}}}'s computer woes.

A schmoopie YouTube trip down Memory Lane:

:wub:

I'm off to work on bears for the SSS TBAF sale in Nov!

I'm back. hah.

Am I neurotic or do we get a lot of lurkers int he middle of the night when we are supposed to be sleeping and I am amusing myself running diagnostics on the computer? I was just surprised to see how many lurkers there were.

Yay - things run so much better and look so much better - who knew there was a new driver!

Nice pictures no longer freeze my computer. Whee - I can enjoy all the pretties again Thanks everyone.

Happy Labor Day! I'm trying hard to focus on this lovely day off :)

rather than thinking about having to go back to work tomorrow and how there are no more long holiday weekends until -

*gulp* - Thanksgiving! :(

I hear ya! Only for me,

I don't have another long weekend until next Memorial Day!!!!!!!!!

:Ahh:

I saw that thread, Play. :rolleyes: Gee, I wonder if Mike Nichols and Eric Idle realize the mistake they made! :o Oh, wait...

"Clay Aiken is amazing beyond that glorious voice. Turns out he is an excellent comic actor and a master of character," said director Mike Nichols in a release. "People will be surprised by his wide ranging talent, since the first impression is of great country charm and a singer to remember. This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more. We are lucky to get him for Spamalot."

For those who don't enjoy Sir Robin for what he is, may the rabbit with great big pointy teeth nibble their bums! killer_rabbit.gif

IMO, Clay did great with Sir Robin. When I first heard he ws going to be in Spamalot I thought it was a match made in heaven. For someone like Clay who seems so ADD, not being held too tightly to a script or character is perfect. I don't know whether Clay is a good serious actor. We haven't had a chance to see that yet. I frankly cannot imagine him in a serious role or a real character role. But it wouldn't surprise me if he would be really good in such roles.

Nothing, I mean NOTHING, Clay does, will do or could do would surprise me anymore!

A schmoopie YouTube trip down Memory Lane:
:wub:

I must just be in a mood. I find myself getting depressed when I watch stuff from 5, 4 or even 3 years ago. I can't help comparing how it was, to how it is now.

I think maybe if I knew that Clay prefered this level of celebrity over the way it use to be, then I would feel better and maybe he does, but somehow I don't think so.

I think he enjoys being able to have a more normal life (go to the mall and things like that) but I don't think he enjoys fewer people at concert and low CD sales and unfortunately, it seems to all go together.

When I think of actors that have paced themselves and tried to keep some kind of "normal" in their life, I think of Johnny Depp. He became almost reclusive but now he comes out for really challenging work, and I he picks and chooses.

I, for one, will be thrilled to see Clay again because this everyday jonesing gets old LOL!!!! IMO, he's a natural actor, and I'm not even a Thespian. How dare I? LOL!!!

Awwwwwww, I enjoyed watching that Jerry Lewis clip. That was such an honour, I'm sure. I don't know that Clay is unhappy at all with the way his life is going right now. I think he has found a balance that works for him. I don't need him to be the next Elvis, in that I don't need him to be a mega-star. He is my own personal "Elvis" and that is enough for me.

I made my dahl and it is as good as I remember. yummmmmmm

I remember when Bruce Springsteen was the hottest thing and then his career was "over." His records weren't selling--he disappeared from the spotlight and then he was the hottest thing EVER again!

Careers ebb and flow and people take time out, do different things. Talent prevails.

I'm not even remotely worried about Clay. He's probably making a shitload of money in Spamalot, so it's not as though he's broke or out of the limelight. He's not all over the tabloids because he stays out of sight and out of LA. Good for him. I don't understand why anyone is worrying.

Awwwwwww, I enjoyed watching that Jerry Lewis clip. That was such an honour, I'm sure. I don't know that Clay is unhappy at all with the way his life is going right now. I think he has found a balance that works for him. I don't need him to be the next Elvis, in that I don't need him to be a mega-star. He is my own personal "Elvis" and that is enough for me.

I guess that is what I found sad. He was treated with such respect back then and I don't see that anymore.

I don't know that he is unhappy and I don't know that he is happy. I am talking about his career, not his private life. I am sure he is happy about the baby. Obviously, I can't expect to know how he REALLY feels about anything. I just want Clay to be around and continue performing and I worry that isn't going to happen if every year there are fewer people that are interested in seeing him.

I will even be happy if he has a career on Broadway if that is what he wants; even though it is very unlikely that I would ever be able to go and see him. I wonder though, is this what he wants, or is it just what is available.

I know I question too much but that is just how I am

I don't worry about Clay. I think he could have taken advantage of all his unwanted publicity a la Paris Hilton but instead wants to be known as a charitable, singer, actor and most importantly a family man. And I don't think I would have been as devoted a fan if he had gone Hollywood.

If he can continue making enough money to have a stable career, I have a feeling he will be happy too. I am hoping he will someday get more respect for his voice and I think it will happen over time. As playbiller will attest from her research, some of the most famous singers don't get gold or platinum records immediately, they sell steadily over long periods of time.

I think Clay has mentioned many times that he doesn't want to have celebrity go to his head so his path will be different than the usual singer.

ETA: I wish I could like Indian food but I don't. I had a garden salad last time we went to an Indian restaurant. I love totally bland food. I'll eat plain rice, mashed potatoes, vegetables without toppings and plain chicken. Vanilla ice cream is my favorite dessert. I'll rarely eat chocolate. As a result my husband and sons like everything exotic. :crying1:

Doesthis mean I have to put my Tony Bennett didn't sell many records when records sold well post out here again? I have to search for it

My facvorite is the the Johnny Mathis Christmas album didn't even go gold it's first year, it too k years but it is now the best selling Christmas album. As long as no album goes out of print like Ruben's latest - do to a small copyright infringement. That album may not ever sell well, unless his internet sales pick up.

I almost never go back and watch old Clack. I remember enjoying everything at the time but don't feel the need to revist those times. I don't know why. :shrug: I don't save mp3's of his interviews and concert songs either. It just all seems so...so...not relevant? to my fandom of today. Don't know how to explain it really. But I guess it's part of my personality. My Mom always said ... one of the few things you can count on in life is that your life is going to change. She was right. And somewhere along the way I decided that sitting around and waiting for it to change back was a waste of my time on this earth. Now I just roll with it. Guess that's how I approach my fandom too.

I guess that is what I found sad. He was treated with such respect back then and I don't see that anymore.

Honestly, here is how I would deal with this Jaycee: do you treat him with respect? I'm guessing strongly that you do, because you care enough to be on a fanboard. The rest of them? Frankly -- I don't care. As long as I treat him with respect best that I can, I put the rest out of my mind. And also, frankly -- there seems to be a LOT of people out there, in the show business world, who DO treat him with respect. The entire cast of Spamalot. Most of the cast of Scrubs. David Foster (although I suppose that could be because of other things. Nah...). All the theaters and symphonies and musicians he's worked with who said "man, he was a good guy to work with, and talented to boot." And, as fans, we probably don't see HALF of that kind of thing, we only hear dribs and drabbles of it. Just because I don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening.

annabear, thank you posting that clip -- if you hadn't done it, I would have. I was thinking about all this today, and how much his life has changed since then. At that point in his life, he wasn't "multi-platinum" Clay Aiken. He wasn't "touring machine" Clay Aiken. "Broadway star" Clay Aiken wasn't around either. The BAF was just at the bare bones starting point. He probably thought of UNICEF only at Halloween. He wasn't ready to tell stories about his life via LTS quite yet. He was just starting to get a clue about how crazy enthusiastic his fans were (still are). And little did he know how exactly his family dynamic would change in 5 years. Of course, that's not to mention the 5 gazillion changes to his hair!

And yet, on that one day, he made an impression, and a strong one at that. There was a glimmer there that so many got to see. It made me so proud of him that very day.

In the same manner that he has seemingly changed (while his core being has pretty much been left untouched, IMO), it's been interesting to watch us as a fandom grow and change too. I've learned so much from people I would have never met otherwise -- different cultures, different foods, different religions. I've also learned so much about how people react when there's no "Clay Aiken" around in the way he was 4 years ago; how people's posting styles on message boards really say a lot about them; and how differently Clay means to each one of us. I'm just glad I've gotten to "know" so many of you -- thanks to one Clay Aiken.

jamar, it's funny, because I've been doing exactly what you said you almost never do...watching old clack. I've got several external hard drives around here, and I don't know what's on them, and can maybe consolidate one or two of them. Last night I had a grand time rewatching clack from the Florida BAF benefit -- that speech he gave was fantastic, and I had to watch several times Jerome's "tackle" of the lady who presented flowers to Clay during TW. I think that's why I'm kind of schmoopie today, just because it did remind me of how far he (and we) had come. Having said that, I look forward to the future of Clay Aiken. This thrill ride is still only beginning for me!

No Indian food for me, just because it's not popular in my region of the state! But I just made a killer pesto from basil fresh from my garden...

Honestly, here is how I would deal with this Jaycee: do you treat him with respect? I'm guessing strongly that you do, because you care enough to be on a fanboard. The rest of them? Frankly -- I don't care.

I know that you are right but I am just one person who can't even afford to go and see him unless he comes to me, which he seldom does. He needs the respect of a lot of people!

You know what bothers me? Anytime he is mentioned anymore it is Clay Aiken, American Idol finalist. For awhile there he was Superstar, Singer, Actor... something. For a while his only claim to fame wasn't just being on AI. Lately that is the only way I see him being refered to, even in articles that are nice. I can't swear that isn't true of other people from AI that have careers beyond that, but I don't think that it is. I know when mentioning someone, who no one would recognize the name, they will tell you they were on AI but not Kelly, Carrie, Chris Daughtry, people whose names are recognizable but they keep doing it with Clay.

I think what you are looking at is Clay being the IT guy of 2003 and 2004 and so getting a lot of projects. That was because he was the IT guy not because he was more respected. I think the fact that he was invited back to a Broadway show IS respectful. He's still doing things like singing for presidents and representing Unicef in the media.

I think the whirlwind of him going from project to project made people look beyond the disrespect. It was easy to say "here's to not caring" because well he was packing them in. It's not like he got great reviews for MoaM but who cared when he sold almost 3 million.

So I'm really with wandacleo... Clay's career is not stuck in a moment in time. As long as he's working (and some celebs/big names have been so out they couldn't buy a job - how many comebacks has John Trovalta had) it's all good as far as I'm concerned and you just never know what "thing" will make the world sit up and take notice again. You can look at huge superstar careers and think of some moment that propelled them even higher. With Clay it's hard to beat the highest rated tv show of the year..that kind of exposure is just hard to come by. But I think of Ricky Marting tearing up the Grammy stage and exploding or Michael, who had been a star his whole life, at the Motown whatever year annivesary special and again that propelled him even higher. Maybe for Clay that will be Spam -- maybe it will lead to another role on Broadway. Maybe he'll get that TV show. And who knows, in 2 years maybe you'll be wondering why you were so sad.

Jamar, nothing wrong with living in the moment. I don't watch old video clack a lot but thanks to youtube every now and then I can go get lost for an hour or two. I do have extensive Clay audio on my ipod though including LTS and old interviews. They pop up now and then on shuffle and they are fun to listen to. I do think I live my fandom in that way... sure I'd prefer Clay to sale millions and all that but I can't worry about it, just enjoy what's actually in front of me..and for the next few months it will be spam wonderful spam. And then we moveon from there.

Play what are you talking about with regards to Ruben. Can you explain in one of the AI threads?

ETA:

I was one who never thought Clay was as much of a "superstar" as some on the boards made him out to be. There were too many I knew in my real life who, even at the height of it all, had no clue who Clay was. They had never watched AI. He had no radio play. They didn't read People or watch ET. How would they know who he was? I know there are a lot of people who are huge in some circles (probably mostly the teen circle) who I have never heard of! IMO, I don't think Clay was ever at the megastar level someone like Mylie Cyrus is now (thanks to Disney), for example.

Everyone's careers ebb and flow. The fact that Clay still has one says a lot to me. I think his career is evolving. I always thought he would end up much more than just a "pop star", and it looks to me as if he heading in that direction.

Works for me!

As to him being a natural actor - not sure of that, but I DO think he is a natural comedian! I swear he could be a successful stand-up comedian if he wanted to be. He is one of the funniest people I have ever seen and he has the quickest wit.

And he's the cutest!

You know, couchie, even if Clay flies high someday like Michael or Ricky or Elvis, there will come a time when his career is in another down phase. That's just the way it goes. Up down up down. No one stays on top for a lifetime in show biz. It's not likely that Clay will be in the public eye 24/7/365 for the rest of our lives, or that his every project will be equally successful. As for respect, show me a celebrity who consistently is respected by every single person (including online nutbars). I don't think there is one. For Pete's sake, Rachel Ray has haters, Tom Hanks has haters, everyone has haters.

I think Clay has made a very deliberate choice, and has taken many deliberate actions in his career to avoid too much "celebrity" even if it costs him some material success, because he's aware of the potential damage to one's psyche that superstardom can bring.... For example, avoiding the red carpet events. For example, not dating starlets. For example, moving to NC. For example, not exploiting his personal life to get attention.

I think Clay got involved in BAF and UNICEF, why he volunteered so much even before he became famous, because he understands what's really important in life.

Red letter day!! I think CG and I are sharing a brain. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

You know, couchie, even if Clay flies high someday like Michael or Ricky or Elvis, there will come a time when his career is in another down phase. That's just the way it goes. Up down up down. No one stays on top for a lifetime in show biz. It's not likely that Clay will be in the public eye 24/7/365 for the rest of our lives, or that his every project will be equally successful. As for respect, show me a celebrity who consistently is respected by every single person (including online nutbars). I don't think there is one. For Pete's sake, Rachel Ray has haters, Tom Hanks has haters, everyone has haters.

I think Clay has made a very deliberate choice, and has taken many deliberate actions in his career to avoid too much "celebrity" even if it costs him some material success, because he's aware of the potential damage to one's psyche that superstardom can bring.... For example, avoiding the red carpet events. For example, not dating starlets. For example, moving to NC. For example, not exploiting his personal life to get attention.

I think Clay got involved in BAF and UNICEF, why he volunteered so much even before he became famous, because he understands what's really important in life.

yeah totally agree with everything. My only point was that people's careers go up and down and you never know what that thing is that will lift it to another level. And even then, like you said..that will last a certain amount of time...see both examples I listed to prove my point. I can't think of a soul whse career has only gone up if they've had one longer than 3 years that is.

Miley Cyrus being on Disney is just like Clay being on Idol. And it remains to be seen whether her career will outlast her youth (especially in this day and age when it seems like the tabloids are trying to sully her image). Before Miley....there was that other chick and where is she now ..so yesterday girl.. Hillary something or other? Just another example of how this life works. I'm sure a lot of people who have no kids wouldn't know Miley if they tripped over her just like the millions of millions that didn't watch idol. No doubt to me that Clay was as hot as people can get in 2003 2004...no matter how hot you are there are people that don't know you and like JMH said that level is not sustainable.

I'm not looking any further ahead than January 4th. I'm just going to enjoy the next few months.

Post I made at CV when we were having a similiar discussion:

Some quotes on fame from Clay in LTS:

"Because of that, I remind myself that I need to make the most of my opportunities. I need to use this abilility (singing) to help others, not just to buy myself a new car"

"Will I let Celebrity define me? Will I let it become who I am? Or will I remember where I am from; remember my purpose."

" I believe all this happened for a purpose; so I want my career to be purpose driven, I want my life to be purpose driven"

"In the end I keep telling myself this celebrity, however moderate, has nothing do with my wallet or my image. My purpose is to do good and this is the form it has taken"

Sure these words were said 5 years ago, but I think they still hold true; Clay has certain priorities and he will not compromise those priorities for the sake of a hit song on the radio or so he can become the next Elvis. I am sure he has made many decisions over the years that have affected his career adversely so I can't totally blame RCA for not handling him properly. There are so many variables here and so many things we are not aware of that I could never blame one entity for his career direction.

And I do believe that career direction is heading away from him solely being a "pop star" and more into the entertainment field and I think that is a wise move...he is such a talented guy and it would be a waste of those God given talents to limit himself to simply being a "pop singer".

Kim

I remember when Bruce Springsteen was the hottest thing and then his career was "over." His records weren't selling--he disappeared from the spotlight and then he was the hottest thing EVER again!

Careers ebb and flow and people take time out, do different things. Talent prevails.

I'm not even remotely worried about Clay. He's probably making a shitload of money in Spamalot, so it's not as though he's broke or out of the limelight. He's not all over the tabloids because he stays out of sight and out of LA. Good for him. I don't understand why anyone is worrying.

Word to this!

I have always said - right from the beginning - that Clay will have exactly the career he wants to have. He is not a fool - he's proven that time and time again, so I believe that's he's made the choices he has because they've gotten him what he wants at a cost he's willing to pay. He could have chosen different routes many times - played the games that are necessary in today's world. But he hasn't.

I firmly believe Clay is just where he's chosen to be. That's more than enough for me.

Wringing your hands over what might have been is useless and does you know good - and it surely doesn't do him any good.

I don't even think it's all about game playing either but choices. Prime example: JNT - I think doing that every year was good for his soul.

AIKim - I agree with you about expanding his choices. I actually prefer entertainer and look forward to whatever he does in singing, acting, talk show, whatever. I think the music business is in such a state of flux that in the long run having other talents will serve him well. And ahem...I'd love another book one of these days.

I do think Clay is ambitious so don't know I'd say he's right where he wants to be (not saying for certain,have no clue) but whatever the case I don't think he is consumed by his career and will just keep on keeping on, working, improving, growing. That's what we all do in life. And I think he has other things in his life that are just as important - and I think I can guess at a few things even more so.

Everybody goes about their fandom in a different way. I use to worry a lot more, not really about his career, but some of the other junk. I agree that it did me no good and even though I knew that in my head it still took time to make the change.

EVERY TIME my mom leaves the house for more than 2 days I get rid of so much stuff. She never notices that it's gone. The kitchen is the worst..I swear we had peices from every set of glasses, dishware, silverware, we ever had from the day I was born. And I've never seen a person save so many jars and plastic crap heee.

OMG, Couchie!

My Mama was a PACK RAT! Of the highest order. I think folks who lived through the depression had a hard time discarding things.

When she and Daddy moved from the house I grew up in - a small concrete block 3 bedroom - into a "new" house, long after Sis and I were married with children - Sis helped her move. (I didn't live in the same town.) Actually, Mama had gone out of state to take care of my Aunt (remember my Teeny Tiny Aunt?) who had been severely injured in an auto accident. So Sis and I friend of hers were unpacking the kitchen. They unpacked some ungodly number of peanut butter jars. No. NO empty jars. It was AT LEAST 12 jars of peanut butter! ( I think everytime she went shopping she asked herself, "Do we have any peanut butter?" and couldn't remember so she bought one 'just in case'! :hysterical:

But - when she died, Sis and I were cleaning out the kitchen ( a very tiny alley type kitchen) we found a DRAWER FULL of those plastic milk bottle lids!!! I mean HUNDREDS!

What the heck kind of rainy day was she saving those for??!!

:lmaosmiley-1:

I don't ever go look at Clack either - unless someone on the boards points me to it. Even though I do have a lot saved. I really should just toss it all! Free up my hard drive and my external! I seriously never just on my own go pull it up and watch it!

I don't know why either. But - I don't.

I also don't worry about Clay. I quit that at least 4 years ago. The man is way smarter than I am.

He knows way more than I do . . .

- about the music business

- about television

- about Broadway, for sure

- about touring and tour expenses

- about what he is willing do do

- about what he is capable of

- about music - even though he claims not to be a musician

- about the people he works with

- about his bosses

- about how much rehearsal he needs

and

Bottom Line:

- about what he wants!

I know what I want.

I want Clay Aiken to sing to me.

I want Clay Aiken to . . .

Make me laugh.

Make me think.

Make me smile.

Entertain me.

Make my heart race.

And make me feel young again for a little while.

:)

He does all that. And he owes me nothing more than that.

He doesn't even owe me that!

All he owes me is a good product for my $$ spent.

In recordings. In concert tickets. In theater tickets. In any performance that I pay for.

And - maybe that his recommendations for donations be well thought out and duly considered.

Beyond that. His life. His choices. If he makes something I don't like, I won't spend my money on it. That's my choice.

Oh - forgot one thing.

He needs to wear . . .

tight PANTS!

:hubbahubba:

ETA:

Jaycee,

I have wondered lately about that AI Finalist descriptive.

I wonder if there wasn't something in place in some contracts that required dropping the Runner-up designation?

I really think AI Finalist is better. It makes the connection to his beginning, which is the only place some people know him from. But I think he was (and I sure am) sick of the Runner-Up/Loser, whatever.

I also wonder if he will be back on the show this year. It seems like there has been much kinder talk from AI lately. Just curious. No clue.

I hear ya! Only for me,

I don't have another long weekend until next Memorial Day!!!!!!!!!

:Ahh:

:Ahh: indeed!! :therethere:

annabear, thank you posting that clip -- if you hadn't done it, I would have. I was thinking about all this today, and how much his life has changed since then. At that point in his life, he wasn't "multi-platinum" Clay Aiken. He wasn't "touring machine" Clay Aiken. "Broadway star" Clay Aiken wasn't around either. The BAF was just at the bare bones starting point. He probably thought of UNICEF only at Halloween. He wasn't ready to tell stories about his life via LTS quite yet. He was just starting to get a clue about how crazy enthusiastic his fans were (still are). And little did he know how exactly his family dynamic would change in 5 years. Of course, that's not to mention the 5 gazillion changes to his hair!

And yet, on that one day, he made an impression, and a strong one at that. There was a glimmer there that so many got to see. It made me so proud of him that very day.

In the same manner that he has seemingly changed (while his core being has pretty much been left untouched, IMO), it's been interesting to watch us as a fandom grow and change too. I've learned so much from people I would have never met otherwise -- different cultures, different foods, different religions. I've also learned so much about how people react when there's no "Clay Aiken" around in the way he was 4 years ago; how people's posting styles on message boards really say a lot about them; and how differently Clay means to each one of us. I'm just glad I've gotten to "know" so many of you -- thanks to one Clay Aiken.

You're welcome. Thanks for posting my thoughts. *sniffle* The thread title says it all for me: He simply makes me smile when I see him.