#44: We think we'll keep him!!!!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• I'll connect with this man in any way at any time.
    • He could sing me the Invisionfree terms of service agreement and I'd love it, so any new songs are obviously going to be coolness squared.
    • He owns us.
    • Just sing to me, pretty boy!

Oh man, you don't know how much I'd love a JBT2. :wub:

ETA: Hee, took a peek around......yep, it's 2006 all over again.

me too!! and he can sing all his own songs in the 2000 section.

As for it being 2006 all over again..well the more you do something the easier it gets. Peice of cake on dealing with that. His label wants to make money and whatever way they feel they can make that happen is the way it's gonna be. Bottom line.

I just loved that he did something special with the covers and I expect him to do it again... my one hope is that like ATDW it does have a few originals. I'm fine with that. But this seems a LONG WAY OFF so I'll mark this on my calendar for a year from now.

I love ATDW...covers or not...doesn't matter to me as long as he is singing!

I have no doubt the process leading up to ATDW was not pleasant, but I think he loved the songs and recording and singing them.

At some point...those more vocal fans are going to have to accept the fact that Clay is never going to be a rock star, may never be a huge radio or recording star...he may very well end up with a career on Broadway.

Makes it tough for those of who can't make it to NYC and our only chance of seeing him is when he tours...but I want him to be happy and do what makes him happy.

Kim

aikim, as the Partridge Family sang, I think I love you...

More recaps from the chat this afternoon:

From CV:

Stool hurt his butt so he sat on the edge of the stage.

Has he ever walked on the 'stilts' and he said no it was too scary him.

Toni7babe asked about what's on his plate yet - he didn't now for sure yet.

He would be interested in a singing role on Broadway.

He said he talked to Hannah two days ago and will see her in London after Spamalog.

toni7babe called with after-chat report. Scarlett assisting. This may be repeats, but I’ll just share what toni told me as best I can.

First off, he was F%#king GORGEOUS!!! Personable, funny and very engaging.

It was FANTASTIC, just FANTASTIC!

He was wearing a grey sweatshirt, Kentucky across the front, blue sweat pants with yellow stripe down side, hair tousled, looked great. People raised hands, answered about 50 questions or so. Was answering questions as people were walking out the door.

Lots of security watching very carefully.

Sat on a stool in the middle of the stage at first. Then said it was the most uncomfortable stool he’s ever sat on and then he moved and sat on the edge of the stage with his feet dangling into the Orchestra Pit.

He said no questions about Parker, but that he is doing fine. No personal questions and no requests for hugs and don’t sing Happy Birthday to him. Snarky and fun.

Off to type up some questions and answers, but here is toni’s first part.

Asked if he ever took a blue collar job, what would it be. He asked what it was and they replied "manual labor" and he said "HELL NO".

Would you learn a musical instrument?

Oh, hell no

Claysvayevorite asked which news he liked best - He likes CNN best.

All is Well hair is favorite but he can't do it.

ATDW his favorite CD - he won't ever get radio so he might as well sing what he likes.

He was alone on Thanksgiving - probably had a sandwich from a sandwich shop.

No Christmas songs this year. He recorded something at 6:30 in the morning for TV we will see soon.

He has some things in the works but he doesn't want to say anything because they don't always pan out.

He answered "What the hell is wrong with you people?" in answer to the question what would he like to ask the fans.

Near the end he said just keep asking questions but when I said it's time - 'Get the Hell out of dodge!'

What else other than BAF and UNICEF?

Character education and Focus for a better life.

Favorite late night show - Kimmel hands down.

Has anyone ever pulled a practical joke on him back stage - and he said - they may have and he was too stupid to realize it.

More from CV:

From Tugger at OFC:

recap from BFS

Kentucky hoodie, blue track pants. He looked hot! it was awesome, seriously and totally awesome.

rules hates giving them, feels like a really bad person.

rule one no pics, just no

rule two no hugs, just no

rule three no questions about Parker, he's doing fine

no birthday wishes. Did a group birthday wish!

In Pittsburg - a Christmas show - in the middle of the show someone proposed to their girlfriend - it wasn't real - it was Jacob's girlfriend!

More from Tugger at OFC:

more from BFS

?...favorite part of show that he is not in?

ans...hard for him because he is usually doing something to get ready for next scene...stopped by theater briefly after Rosie and watched Concord scene really funny. Rick is priceless!

He answered questions as they were walking out of the theatre!

OMG OMG OMG!!

He was gorgeous relaxed and answered everyone's questions. He is very grounded and he said that he knows people get worked up but bad things people say about him but that people shouldn't worry about it or leave dung at the person's door.

He said Hell 3 times even though the first time he was like "I cussed/..." hilarious.

I asked what hairstyle he liked the most and he pointed right at me and looked at me with those beautiful eyes when asking me the question. He said that he liked the All is Well cover hair, but he can't maintain it so he likes the little spikes which he had there.

dmom has more details so stay tuned.

RE: COVERS

He did not mean he would record covers all his life. When he said he seemed to say that Atlantic Records went for digital and it was so much better then album sales. He said that the Economy and the Record Business is a MESS! Which is true. He said that the record business is tanking. He said that he has given up trying to PLEASE everyone and that he likes doing covers because they are good songs and that is why he liked AI. This is not a bad thing

He want to SING! which is good.

I don't think we have to worry about covers.

I just talked to AnAmeraikenInTx. She said both Claysfaveorite and Butterflyshines were taking copious notes so we will get a detailed recap. She just wanted me to know how absolutely wonderful the chat was! He looked great and was very chatty. Answered absolutely as many questions as he could. She was really impressed that he kept on talking as the fans were exciting. (He told the rows which exit to take! LOL!) It was hard to hear her so we just talked briefly. Most of her comments have been posted but I loved hearing them "in person"! Can't wait for more "news"!

From Tugger at OFC:

more from BFS

?...now that he is a father will he limit his McDonalds runs?

ans....off limits

professional newscast junkie. if he had 30 minutes with Pres-elect Obama, what issue would he discuss?

ans...economy and he would discuss UNICEF issues. Current administration has been seperationists. meaning that UNICEF can't help children in Iran...they have same needs as children in Afghanistan.

Toni7babe after chat Part 2

(I told her a lot of the Q & A were already posted, but she wanted met to post anyway cause people might have heard things a little differently.)

So...up until the point I’ve read...here’s more.

After Spamalot, he’ll take a break and do some UNICEF stuff. You already know about golfing and BAF

A couple of things in the works, but won’t say specifics, cause you never know how things are gonna pan out.

He was asked about his chances of being an International star. The music industry is changing, in the tank and the international label has to release it. With digital downloads, it doesn’t make economical sense.

Any plans for acting on stage, screen or TV. Didn’t have any plans right now in the near future but would not close the door. Options are open. If he did another Broadway show, he’d like it to be more singing, but that’s not exactly the first thing on his plate.

He was asked about being star struck with anyone. He said it was once Diane Sawyer, Diane. Now it’s whatever.

And one more set...

Via CV:

recap from bigappleforclay from getclayaiken:

These are just quick noted - more accurate details to come later.

Kentucky pullover, track pants, sneakers, Sat on stool for part and then the edge of the stage.

Parker questions off limits. Don't waste time saying Happy Birthday, asking for hugs or for a song.

What blue collar job would he want to do. Didn't know what that meant and didn't have an answer.

Has he ever stood on the Nights of Ni stilts - No.

Will he extend to Jan. 11 - no.

Would he do another Broadway show - only if he could sing more than he does in Spam.

Would he take guitar lesson - Not interested anymore. Still has trouble with the piano that he plays in the show.

What qualities does he think are important in a performer - ability to change things up.

Would he do a variety show - not after Rosie. (laugh)

Has he ever watched the original Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie - still hasn't watched it all yet after trying a couple of times.

His favorite hair - the current style because he can do it by himself. Very favorite was All is Well cover hair, but he didn't think he could do it by himself.

What would he like to see Obama do as president - focus on programs for children, Commented that UNICEF isn't allowed to help children in Iran and Afghanistan.

Because of the economy, would he co-tour - he had a hard time answering the question. He loved touring with Kelly.

International touring - needs international record company sponsorship, and he doesn't see the likelyhood of that happening right now.

Next album - may not be original songs. ATDW is his favorite because he loves the songs. He would do AI over and over again because he loved the songs.

After Spam - time off without giving specifics after that.

If he had a talk show - wouldn't have celebrity guests.

Favorite charities - A Better Life in Wake County.

Prime Time shows he'd like to be on - The Closer, 30 Rock ( like everybody else). He doesn't like Boston Legal anymore because it's too soap opera-ish.

The difference between having Clay fans and other fans in the Spam audience - doesn't matter as long as they cheer.

Will he sing any Christmas songs on the morning shows this year - No. The parade interview will be it for the holiday season.

What other role in Spam would he like to do - Tom Deckman's part.

Do you have a question for your fans - What the hell do you keep coming back for? coffeescreen.gif

What Spam songs run through your head - Bright Side of Life, which he annoys Jaymes with

He continued to answer questions as the audience filled out to maximize the time.

Toni7babe after chat Part 3

Asked about a tour. He loves to tour and would like to do more. Perfect person to tour with would be Kelley. He loved touring with her. Joked about being Barry and Bette.

Favorite tour was JBT. Loved the music. It was fun.

Would do Idol again and again and again—over and over. Loved the songs they sang.

Work with Kipper again? Not sure; I don’t know.

Next album, probably not original material. Probably wouldn’t be popular. Sorry.

Jenny Hill was in the audience.

Thanksgiving—was alone. Not traditional--thinks he ordered from a sandwich shop.

Asked about his favorite late night show. He gave a look like, “I can’t even believe you asked that.” Jimmy Kimmel.

Jenny Hill is one of the dancers in Spamalot and she sang back-up on one of the songs on OMWH, can't remember which one though. There was a picture of her online with Clay and I think Quiana. She has long blonde hair.

OMG – this is a clash of two worlds that I find kind of funny: a “tribute” to Derek Hough (DWTS) using Clay singing Measure of a Man. Doesn’t fit for me, but I enjoy the merging of my two favorite boys. <g>

*crosses fingers and toes for the ET appearance* I think if ET is promoting it, it will probably happen this time. *also prays that no one famous has a baby or dies over the weekend*

You know...Clay's hair yesterday was funky. But...I can't believe this guy went out looking like this. And supposedly, he's HAWT. *shrug*

400_rpattinson_081110_sshugerman_8329220

I think Clay looked pretty darn good compared to this....

This guy is pretty hot, and I like his hair better than Clay’s right now. For me, it’s THAT bad. <g> But, it will change again. I just saw on E! or ET or some such place that Robert Pattinson (guy in pic) hates his hair long, but it has to be for the part – and it usually looks worse than it does in this picture because he can’t keep his hands out of it.

I think we all scrutinize Clay and express our opinion because we are NOT indifferent to him. We take the time and effort to watch everything and notice every little thing and then comment on every little thing. I really didn't like his hair, frankly I was kinda taken aback. And his appearance on ANY show will always be too short for me. I am glad he talked about Parker's illness, I believe he has been open to sharing it for two reasons, firstly because it was such a big deal to him, and secondly because he believes in bringing awareness to children's medical conditions.

I honestly don't see it as negative criticism. It's just an expression of personal taste and our beautiful obsession. Sometimes I suspect Clay does these crazy hairstyles just to get us worked up! :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

Amen!! And for every person who doesn’t like his hair, there is another person who is entirely too sensitive to criticism of Clay’s hair. <g>

I thought Clay was good on the Parade thing, but his hair (and make up) was fucked up (tm KAndre). I have to confess that I haven’t seen the Rosie thing yet. My DVR didn’t pick it up so I have to download it.

The next album will not be original stuff, he loved ATDW. ATDW was his favorite thing he's ever done!

Bwahahaha….wait, wait, what’s that sound??? Why, it’s heads exploding all over the fandom!!! <g>

You can get upset about the rehash of 2006 or you can take it for what it is – hilarious. <g> I mean, doesn't it mean that most of us on this board were right in what we said about Clay and ATDW??

On a side note, can I just how much I hate the new way photobucket has the link options displayed? It bugs, seriously.

I AGREE!

Totally agree on the Photobucket thing. Also doesn't seem to play well with Mozilla....

From the CV:

Part 1...

OMG

That was the most amazing experience...

AMAZING!!! I feel so blessed to have had the chance to be in the theater to hear him just talk to us.

That was the most amazing experience. Just being there. He was just Clay talking to us. He had on a Kentucky sweatshirt gray with navy letters and navy jogging pants. Hair was just like he took the wig off. It actually looked good...just mussed up after he took the wig off. He laid down some ground rules...no questions about Parker...off limits...don't waste time just saying Hello. Everybody say Happy Birthday to me now so you don't waste time saying HB either. Don't ask me to sing...can't do that either. And of course some people tried to not follow those rules and he was totally stubborn and in control and gave the frown of I told you remember? He really tried to make it go as long as he could...he had us all get up and start walking out as he was still taking questions. I was in the third row middle and he was just sitting there on a stool right in front of me. He at one point said...this has to be the most uncomfortable stool out there. One of the SHubert people got up to get another and then he said...no no...I am ok but now I know why no one sits on this backstage. He then latter went down to just sit on the stage edge. At one time he said...ooops...what camera am I kicking? He was kicking the conductors camera. Hee.

He also said at one point don't let this get out...but then said...wait a minute...I know that with this group that's impossible. *g* He noted that Butterflyshine was taking notes.

Anyway...

Questions:

Have you ever tried Rick's Ni stilts? Said no...there are rules about that stuff and he can't.

What blue collar job would you take if you had to?? That gave him pause and he said...hard to answer don't know where the line is that starts blue collar jobs. He doesn't like getting dirty...no manual labor. He is too lazy.

What is your favorite Spam scene you are not in? Not had a chance to see the show when he is in it. But after Rosie came back for the show and watched and saw the Concorde scene when he gets shot and he thinks that was the funniest and I guess his favorite.

If you could sit down with Barack Obama for 30 minutes what would you tell him? Would say that he would talk about funding things like Unicef and the needs of the children in the world. Right now Unicef cannot raise funds for Iran in the US due to the current government policies. Hopes that the new administration will not be so separatist/isolationist and will allow Unicef to do that. He said he usually doesn't get so political but there you go.

I got to ask him if anyone has done a practical joke on him on the set of Spamalot. It was so wonderful to have him point at me...and say you...in the purple sweater and the red Broadway Cares ribbon...he has this way of just focusing on who he is talking to that is so amazing. He said not that he remembers...or if they did he didnt' realize it. But now he is pretty sure since Jenny Hill was there that he was going to get it on his closing night of Spam. He related again that time when the guy was leaving and on his last night they punked him in the I too have found my grail scene...and didnt' tell Clay either...and the guy just solo'd on the What is your grail line....

Someone asked about his post Spam plans and if he would do another Broadway play. He said that he misses singing and if he was to do something again he would try to have more singing in the role. He sang a teensey weensy Ahhhhhh when he answered that he misses singing. But he is not planning on doing anything right away...going to do some BAF work and Unicef work. They also have some other things they are working on but can't say what they are since they aren't finalized.

Someone asked if any song from Spam gets stuck in his head. He said its Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. It's not YWSOB...he said you can't get that stuck in your head. He said Jaymes get mad at him because he comes home from the play singing that song and she is getting tired of hearing it.

Evidently the Civil War play that Sarah is in is coming to Broadway...asked if he would do it since he sang it to the President. It was a funny discussion because he said...they are doing the play? Where? Oh Here? Broadway? no I haven't heard about it...I guess they didn't like my version of Sarah...no no one asked him to be in it.

He loves being in Spamalot because it's a team working to a common goal...no stars...just everyone working to put on a great show. Not all on his shoulders when your name is on the ticket. On Idol they would do group songs but they were still competing with each other.

Someone asked if he was learning to play guitar since he had talked about it once in an interview although she doesn't remember when. He said...I bet someone here remembers and I said that?? I must have been tired when I said it. He said no...not taking lessons and that he can't even get through Chop Sticks on the show without messing up. But that if the ability to play could just get bestowed upon him then that would be great.

Someone asked what is the best thing he has done in the past 5 years. Long pause...this happened a couple of times...like the Barack Question where he really had to think first. He said that is hard to answer because he has liked it all...but if he could do Idol again without the danger of getting cut he would do that. He also loves the process of creating a tour...although by the end of the run of the tour you are tired of doing it.

What is the attribute you think that artists have to do to keep their fans? Long pause again. He said...well..he said to keep it new and don't do the same thing over and over and to keep it fresh.

Asked what his favorite Thanksgiving food was other than turkey...he said he doesn't know. He said he spent Thanksgiving alone and likely ordered in. That got a big awwwwwwww......

Someone asked if he could do a Variety Show, a reality show or a movie version of Spam what would he do? It was funny because he said...well...after the other night a Variety Show was not going to happen in a very snarky tone. Said he would choose the movie.

He snuck in that he taped something early yesterday....wouldn't say what it was. He sort slid it in the converation when someone asked if we would hear him singing Christmas on NY based show. Said you can by playing MCWL...he doesn't like getting up early...it was said in a very funny way...it was hard getting up for the parade.

Has the last 5 years changed him?? Yes...he hates to say it or admit it but he has become more jaded and guarded.

Someone asked if the fans cheering for him during times like when he sticks his head out of the tower in the guard scene bothers him...he said that the cast loves energy. Doesn't matter who it is directed to. He can note it more this time around on the nights when the audience isn't very full at all and they don't react. It's hard to keep the smile wide...although you wouldn't tell since the cast was so professional and good. Like in the Finland song...he watches it from the tower...and Jenny Hill smiles wide when the audience is dead and when they are full of energy and you couldn't tell the difference.

Part 2

I forgot...in the beginning he said raise your hands...I will call on you...someone tried to shout out..and he said.. I am a teacher and I don't like that....wait to be called on.

Someone asked if he ever gets starstruck? He said now? No. But he used to. Diane Sawyer was like...oh my it's Diane...now she is just a friend. Remembers getting in the elevator with Tom Brokaw and getting starstruck then. That was during the Rock Center thing. I guess...that must be the Tree Lighting?? If he gets star struck it's with news people.

If he could play another role on Spam what would it be? He said it would be Tom Deckman's role since he doesn't have to dance in the Camelot scene. And the dancing is killing him.

Does he get upset about things said about him? In school in the 90s they would say Your Momma jokes at him...and he would ask Faye and she would say..doesn't bother her. He didn't understand then but does now. It doesn't bother him. He said he thinks it bothers us more than it bothers him. You don't have to get mad at these people who trash him and put dung on their doors and stuff like that.

He misses touring. He would love to get back to touring in the summer.

Someone asked about overseas touring...He said well...did you all hear about Atlantic records and that digital sales were greater than hard CD sales? (I posted that article...*g*) He said that the music business is in deep trouble and is tanking and doesn't like to take chances. And to tour overseas they have to release his album there and promote it and because they don't want to take chances in the current business climate it's not likely to happen so he doesn't think overseas touring is going to happen.

Someone asked about his favorite news channel. He said he used to really like Anderson Cooper..but now it's all too much about Anderson Cooper. He aid he likes CNN and Heidi Collins and who she works with (didn't get the name). What he likes are the news programs that don't give their opinion..even if he agrees with it...he just wants the facts.

Are you going to work with Kipper again? This is what brought up the covers issue. I know it's roiling the boards...I knew it when he answered the question and used that word covers. He knew it too. He said this is probably going to make some of you mad but when he talked about it. He said he loves ATDW even though he knows many of us don't like it. He has been talking with Jaymes about what they are going to do on the next album. This is my opinion because he didn't say anything but it sounds like he is still with RCA. I didn't get the impression we are free and clear of RCA at all from what he said. /opinion. He said when he does the songs and when he tries to please himself it doesn't work...and when he tries to please people it doesn't work...he can't figure it out. It's likely that the next album will be covers. He said his favorite song is "A Thousand Days" and his favorite album is ATDW. He loved singing on Idol and that was all covers. He loved the JBT and that was all covers. People said yes we love the JBT and a tour for the JBT 2 would be good.

His favorite late night show is Jimmy Kimmel. That got a awww.and yeah!

He reiterated he won't be extending his run to Jan 11th.

Said that after Spam he is going to do some BAF and Unicef work and take a short break. There are things in the works that he can't talk to us about.

Someone asked about if he and Jerome have played practical jokes on others and what was his favorite? His answer was the joke they played on Jacob at the Pittsburgh concert. Someone proposed to Jacobs girlfriend in the audience. They hired them to do it. Jacob was crying when she said yes. He said that was the best one.

When he is on stage...sometimes he does the braiding of the ribbons..sometimes he sings Amen...how does he decide what to do? He said that now when he really knows the role he never plans it and never knows until the moment comes and he just goes with the feeling he has at the moment on the stage.

Someone asked what charity what charity he would work for if he didn't have what he does now? He said there is a foundation that works children and education...I missed the name...something Foundation for something.

Heh...he said Hell at one moment...and just said...yeah...I cussed. He then proceeded to cuss two more times saying Hell...and people said that's 3! He looked at us and said maybe he just likes that word. He was cute when he did it...

If he could be on a show on tv what would it be? He said that is hard...all his favorites are getting cancelled. He would have loved to be on ER but it's getting canceled. He is over liking Boston Legal. He said he would have to say The Closer or 30 Rock would be great to be on.

All in all...that was just the most amazing experience. Please remember the words I have written are missing the funny snarky delivery we got...and the smiles, and the laughter...which there was a lot of. And a lot of love. He was snarky...and he was just so happy and looked so grounded and happy in his own skin. I am also going from hastily messy notes and subject to my own filters.

He didn't want to use the mike...said he felt he was being too loud when he used it and tried without it at the beginning but it wasn't loud enough. He found a good middle ground by resting it on his knee and then just talking.

ETA: forgot the hair question...what is his favorite hairstyle? That got a laugh from him and us! Hee. He said likely what he has now since he can take care of it himself. But he really liked the "All Is Well" hair...but he can't do that himself.

If he could co tour with anyone who would it be?? He took some time to think that through. Said Kelly. They had a great time and they joke about touring again.

Talked to Hannah two weeks ago. And one thing he may do after Spam is go visit her.

Man, I wish I could have been there. And I totally understand this section:

Does he get upset about things said about him? In school in the 90s they would say Your Momma jokes at him...and he would ask Faye and she would say..doesn't bother her. He didn't understand then but does now. It doesn't bother him. He said he thinks it bothers us more than it bothers him. You don't have to get mad at these people who trash him and put dung on their doors and stuff like that.

Bolding mine. Gee, you think Clay?

More from CV:

From Tugger at OFC:

more from BFS

when he tours, it's all on him..he really like the group songs on idol..the show is group effort, there are no lead roles, no small parts

Once said he would like to play quitar, any deisre to learn?

must have been tired when he said that...he is jealous of those who can. doesn't feel like God wants him to do that. he hits the wrong button on piano...I mean key. Doesn't want to practice or take lessons, now if God wants to bestow it on him...

fondest memory...idol, he would do it every day if he couldn't be voted off. he loves creating a show tour *applause* First few nights are really special...he loves Spam!

More from Tugger at OFC:

more from BFS

what does an artist have to do to keep admiration...hard question...doesn't really know..hope people don't get bored. He wants to be creative fresh and new

a little aside...striped socks, black & white...declared the stool really uncomfortable...sat on stage....aaawww

Iammesmerized told Clay that he gives back to the fans as much as we give him....aaawww...he thanked her. She wanted to ask now that he has half Canadian son would he tour Canada? She tried to phrase it as non rule breaking question, but he flagged her!!

Toni7babe after chat Part 4

Reiterateing...

The chat was absolutely FANTASTIC! Superb, just great. He tried so hard to accommodate everyone, answered as many questions as he could, even as they were walking out. He was funny and smart and sincere. He was gracious and worked the crowd to include everybody. Everyone was so pleased. The whole thing was wonderful. He was in total control, just a great experience. They enjoyed it so much; it was so worth the money.

Staff at Shubert and Broadway Cares were so complimentary and kept thanking the fans for supporting them, thanked them for doing this for Broadway Cares and for making it happen. The staff said it was all Clay’s idea.

The troops all say HI to all of us. All talking and helping with input and having dinner at Robert Emmit’s ?sp. Toni and Scarlett ..... and AAIT, angelty, ClaysFayevorite, irishbookgal, Playbiller, stilltheone and WinkAtMe.

OK...back to Q & A. I haven’t read all of what’s been posted, so some of this may be duplicates. Sorry.

If he could design a perfect career from scratch, what would it be? Doesn’t know, never thought he’d do anything like Spamalot and there he is doing it. If he said there was something he didn’t want to do, something would come along and then it would bite him. Open to most everything.

Loves touring, wants to get back to doing some.

CNN—likes Heidi Collins ?sp He just wants the NEWS. He doesn’t want to hear people’s opinions-- even if they agree with him.

Asked how fame has changed him. He’s gotten a little more jaded and guarded. Joked that he might need to lie on the couch.

TV:

He’s tired of Boston Legal—it’s gotten too soap box.

Brothers and Sisters is a soap opera.

He’d play any part on the Closer.

Someone asked him to sing the Amen. He said no, wasn’t going to sing.

Asked if he could ask the fans a question, what would it be? Exact quote, per toni, “What the hell is wrong with you guys? Why do you keep coming around?” LAUGHING. Very cute. He joked about saying hell, “Oh, I said a curse word.”

Someone asked about playing the guitar, thought they’d remembered that from an interview or something. He said, “No, I don’t think God wanted me to do that.” But if he could be bestowed that skill, that would be fine.

In Spamalot, when he tries to play the piano, he still pushes the wrong buttons. (keys, Clay, keys)

Asked in these 5 years what he liked best. Really hard question, but he loved Idol. And he loves to create a show for a tour—especially loves the first 2 nights.

Sitting down with Obama for half an hour. Thinks the economy is the biggest issue, but he’d talk about UNICEF and similar things regarding children. Politics should have no borders when it comes to that.

Asked about singing Christmas songs on the morning shows. He said the album is really old now. If you want to hear him sing, you’re gonna have to get out the CD and play that.

I wish he'd do some more Christmas songs... Of course, that would mean waiting for a year, abouts, until his next CD. Christmas stuff would fall under the covers category, wouldn't it?

Heidiho Your right...you really do have to laugh at how predictable this fandom has become...the same people saying the same things they said in 2006. Didn't make a difference then and it is not going to make a difference now.

It is what it is...you don't like covers, than don't buy the CD...simple as that...anything else is a waste of time.

Kim

Its already getting messy out there what with that dirty word covers being uttered from his beautiful, luscious lips!

But, although I didn't like a lot of ATDW (but I didn't like a lot of those songs in their original versions either), I think back at some of my very favorite Clay songs ever and there are an awful lot of covers. I mean, BW, IYDKMBN, COF, SM, ICMYLM, Kyrie, WTSHNN, and so many more. Sure, I love OMWH but I also love a lot of his covers.

Everyone is doing covers now. James Taylor's new album is even called "Covers" and it is terrific. Seal's new album is called "Soul" and is terrific. If he picks good songs, with variety in styles and tempo and puts a few violin players out of work, it could be a great album.

But who knows what we will actually get. I don't suspect we'll be getting anything for a long while.

As for how miserable Clay was when he was recording ATDW - doesn't anyone think maybe he was miserable about what was going on in his real life (the crap - remember?) not about what he was singing?

As for a JBT2 - sign me up!! I LOVED that tour! It was 3 hours of Clay singing to meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Most fun tour ever!

Thanks to everyone who brought the recaps over. Loved 'em :lol:, love him :flirtysmile3:, wish I coulda been there! :thankyou:

I do understand why people are confused because Clay goes back and forth a lot. I don't think he deliberately tries to mislead people but I think he sometimes says whatever he feels at the time, however by the next week he probably feels differently. For instance, they reported that he said ATD is his favorite song but during the tour I remember someone at a m&g saying he was bored with it. Our problem is that we like to memorize everything he says, well I can't but others seem to remember every last detail. But for him, he just says what he is thinking or feeling at the time and then its gone. He doesn't rehash it or spend weeks analyzing what he has just said. So even though he can frustrate me sometimes, he always fascinates me.

And I am so jealous of every single person there. I need money.

I think when Clay said he was bored with ATD that was in the middle of a tour when he had been singing it every night and I can imagine it would get boring singing the same song over and over again.

Kim

wheeeeeeeee!!! My only wish is that the people who don't like/want covers and can't accept his choices without badmouthing him all over the place will just go away. Quickly, and hopefully quietly. I'm tired of pretending I have any respect for their opinions, because I don't. So there :-P

Clay needs to have a career and it's pretty clear at this point it isn't going to be as a radio star - so he is going to do what he needs (and wants) to do - be a singer and entertainer. That is more than fine with me. LOTS of people have long, successful careers without filling stadiums. Clay will be one of them. I know it.

Knowing his love of understatement, I hear his 'things in the works' as good news - I can't wait to find out what they are!!!

As for different answers at different times - hell, ask ME today what my favorite Clay song is - pretty sure you'll get a different answer than last week, or next week, or next month... etc. I shudder to think what it would be like if every word I ever uttered was recorded and thrown back at me later.

How about a big, gaudy, blinkie HAPPY BIRTHDAY for the man? Muah ahahahahaha [/evil laugh]

OK, I'm going to showcase my newbie-cluelessness again... why ATDW angst? I loved ATDW. (I loved them all, so that's sort of obvious... :P) Is it the covers thing?

Wait, I think I do remember something about this... But!

Wee! Under the Covers With Clay Aiken, Pt. 2!

Y'all might wanna scroll, because I'm going to pontificate here. :wordpooper:

clayzy, in my opinion, 2006 and the covers angst on the message boards involved a whole witch's brew of crap all mixed together, little of which had much to do with the album itself. The year started with Clay getting slimed with a whole truckload of tabloid crap. Early on in the spring, there was a blurb in Entertainment Weekly that said Clay's new album was going to be covers. That went against what he had said in an interview late in 2005 about having recorded enough material for 4 or 5 albums, but not being sure what direction they were going to take. Other than a guest spot in the American Idol 05 Finale (where he premiered his longer, darker, banged hairstyle), Clay didn't have any TV or other promo appearances from the end of his Christmas tour in December of 2005 until he started talking about ATDW in September of 2006. That time is not so fondly know as "The Drought".

Since nature abhors a vacuum, the emptiness on the message boards began to be filled by rumors and claims of "back channel sources" and other gossip about the making of ATDW and what to expect. There was a ton of hate directed at RCA and Clive Davis for foisting the cover concept onto Clay, who was supposedly crying into his cornflakes over the whole situation. It turns out much of that information was nothing other than complete and utter bullshit seemingly made up out of whole cloth by some individuals who, IMO, either wanted the attention / had mental issues / wanted to claim some connection to Clay / whatever. As a result, while many fans genuinely didn't care for the covers concept, I think some message board fans had a hard time appreciating ATDW on its own merits because it was so intimately wrapped up in these whole layers of other junk that really had nothing to do with the album itself.

This, of course, is my own perspective and opinion and version of fan history, so take it for what it's worth. The short version would be that "2006 was a tough year for the fans. Don't wanna go through that again."

Oh people remember what backs up their theories (me too). I can accept that doing the album wasn't his first choice but I can also believe he loved the process and what he produced.

Clay had been singing ATD for a very long time not just during that tour and album cycle. He also went back to it and seem to be renewed. He also said he didn't like BFM but of course that is because he loved it so much and is bitter he didn't get to have it on his album and can never sing it so he's just saying that to make himself feel better. See how this works.

Bottle, I'm amazed!! Sums it up for me.

Thank you to everyone who brought the reports to us. Damn I'm jealous. hee.

Oh people remember what backs up their theories (me too). I can accept that doing the album wasn't his first choice but I can also believe he loved the process and what he produced.

Clay had been singing ATD for a very long time not just during that tour and album cycle. He also went back to it and seem to be renewed. He also said he didn't like BFM but of course that is because he loved it so much and is bitter he didn't get to have it on his album and can never sing it so he's just saying that to make himself feel better. See how this works.

Bottle, I'm amazed!! Sums it up for me.

Thank you to everyone who brought the reports to us. Damn I'm jealous. hee.

No, no, no ...he said he didn't like BFM to make the fans feel better that it wasn't on the CD and that he didn't mind that someone else recorded it. :cryingwlaughter:

Kim

Since nature abhors a vacuum, the emptiness on the message boards began to be filled by rumors and claims of "back channel sources" and other gossip about the making of ATDW and what to expect. There was a ton of hate directed at RCA and Clive Davis for foisting the cover concept onto Clay, who was supposedly crying into his cornflakes over the whole situation. It turns out much of that information was nothing other than complete and utter bullshit seemingly made up out of whole cloth by some individuals who, IMO, either wanted the attention / had mental issues / wanted to claim some connection to Clay / whatever. As a result, while many fans genuinely didn't care for the covers concept, I think some message board fans had a hard time appreciating ATDW on its own merits because it was so intimately wrapped up in these whole layers of other junk that really had nothing to do with the album itself.

Beautifully said, bottle. I'll just quote my favorite part.

I adore the new banner, cindilu. Gorgeous!!

Oh, look, clayzycoffin has another random question.

Does anyone know which date is the "THEY WILL BE LOCKED" interview? I've downloaded about six interviews between Jimmy Kimmel and Jay Leno because I can't remember which one it is.

I love Clack, so it doesn't really matter how long it takes, I'd just like to have it... I've figured out how to do the screencaps (which is a major personal achievement) and I've been capping all sorts of funny Clay expressions. The "it's just not good" face, the "the turkey's been dead a while, Jay" face... I want to add the "THEY WILL BE LOCKED" face to my collection now. :D

clazy - when all else fails - look it up on youtube!!

THEY WILL BE LOCKED!!

Sept 26, 2006

clayzcoffin... cha cha.... my fave Kimmel interview... especially where he totally bellylaughs after he said he shaved his leg for Jimmy! So many funny parts in that interview. The other thing I remember was his joy at performing for us again... it was palpable. I'm still mad they never put them up on the Cadillac Garage. I don't blame Jimmy, but whoever runs that place never keeps their word. Idiots!!!

Ya' know, I wonder if Clay is deliberately trying to get rid of all fans who expect him to be someone he isn't and that's the "why" of the covers answer. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: I LOVE OMWH, but JBT was sooo much fun and he was soooo good in it. He has the ability to take great songs and sing them greater and so enjoys doing it. S'ok with me!!!

Since he wrote a beautiful original song, I have hope he will do so again someday, when the moment strikes.

I'm sticking around and just enjoying the man and whatever he decides to perform in whatever medium... period.

I am, however, staying here at FCA until something else becomes a topic of conversation "out there." :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

liney23, you may be hanging out here for a long time. Especially if, god forbid, Clay doesn't have any new projects for awhile, or until he puts his hand over someones mouth or his foot on their armrests, something like that. We may be into months and months of griping but I'm kind of like Heidi, at least I think it was her, who finds it funny. What can I say, I get bored easily and people who have a cow about things that haven't even happened yet amuse me. We only have a general idea of the direction he may go and there are so many possibilities that I'm not going to pre-judge something that at this point is just a concept.

And cindilu, I'm the same way with changing my mind and saying something one day and something completely different the next. My son will bust me on it sometimes but it all depends on the day, my mood, new information, etc. Good thing nobody follows me around and records me.

Now, I find that Clay didn't say ATD was his favorite, just that ATDW's was. This is why we need people to go in with mics down their bras or something.

I've been sitting here watching some of Ellen's show and this was a much better production than Rosie's show except that it was more like going to a circus or something. I guess it has a lot of acts from Vegas and they are pretty good and Ellen seems like she is having a good time and having fun with it. I'm just not a big fan of those kinds of shows for the most part. Still would like to see a good variety show in the tradition of Carol Burnett come back.

I am, however, staying here at FCA until something else becomes a topic of conversation "out there." :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

How about this topic, based on Clay's chat comment about annoying Jaymes by coming home singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"? Do you have a Spam-ism that's an earworm, or a line that you use to annoy / amuse your family and friends?

I can clearly hear King Arthur's exclamation of "Gosh!" (after YWSOB) in my head, and I find myself using it with the some tone all the time.

I have also been known to mutter Patsy's "What can they possibly do with a cow?" line on occasion. cow_1.gif