#46: Avoid the crazy, enjoy the good, and chill.

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Ain't it grand? We've come a long way babee!
    • I love quirky Clay Aiken
    • Fascinating, outrageous Clay. Give me more. I want more.
    • The twisty tie confuses me EVERYtime
    • Still hotness after all these years!!
    • All that said - Orchestra, Band, Kazoo, Bongos, a capella - I'm there. Just sing for us, baby!!
    • If he's singing, I'm there, no matter what, no matter where!
    • As long as he wears his smile all is well
    • That's not just any man... That's OUR man! You're a GOOD MAN, Clay Aiken!

Jaycee---you go on with your bad self! I think you did everything you could to express your feelings well. I've found that on a message board, with only words (and even with the addition of emoticons), a person's post becomes as much or more about the reader's own feelings and opinions than about the author's! Each of us is reading from our own 'place'---where we are (metaphorically) at the moment re: our 'relationship' with Clay---and how our own life experiences have shaped how we view others.

I know that sometimes I'm like :huh: after I post something and then see what a reader 'got' from my words. I know what I meant and I THOUGHT I'd been careful to express it, but then a reader refers to my post and takes a phrase as a launching pad for either supporting or challenging an opinion with the effect that MY phrase comes across very differently from what I intended!

I also think it's a byproduct of message board 'speak' that posts that ask questions or offer a different take on something seem more like a challenge than an opinion because we can't really 'discuss' as we would were we to be sitting around together and shooting the breeze. It's a linear progression online rather than a natural conversation with interruptions and facial expressions and various sounds of agreement or disbelief, etc. So instead of a bunch of hawt, intelligent women exchanging ideas over coffee or tequila, we become a list of people taking her turn to post words.

JMO, etc.

So...given the description of Clay's entourage THIS time, who's the chick with the short dark hair? Did Jamie get a haircut? Or perhaps (as I've seen on another site) Reed is a 'beard' and this chick is really the love of Clay's life? :lipstick: Hey! :lilredani: I know! Who's ALWAYS with Clay? Jerome! Of course! That's it! All this time, it's been Jerome and Clay.

Those sneaky dudes. :sleezy:

Jaycee - I think you have done a good job of explaining how you are feeling too. Please don't feel you need to stop posting. What I very much appreciate is that even though some things about Clay may be different than what you thought, you are working through how you feel about it in a respectful way. I loved how you acknowledged that you have some responsibility in the misinterpretation. I wish more people could get to that point and realize we all have some responsibility in our own perception of things. In fact, I think this kind of dialog is more like what Clay had hoped for that dreadful thread at the OFC when he first came out. Sharing different points of view can be very helpful in working through how you see and feel about something.

The other thing I wanted to add is that if at times some people seem a bit direct or harsh please try and remember Clay isn't the only one who has gone through a lot in the past several months. One of my dearest friends is on this board, georgiesmybaby, and we have both been thru the ringer with friends (and in some cases former friends) who reacted very extreme to Clay being gay and have turned against him in very ugly ways. It has been really heartbreaking to hear such vile things said about him and it makes you want to smack people sometimes. LOL! Its almost ironic because here is Clay, a celebrity that I know very little about on a personal level and then people who were friends who I thought I knew really, really well and yet Clay was the constant that never changed while my friends became people I had never seen before and quite frankly didn't want to know. In some ways, Clay was the one I trusted, I guess. That does not mean he is exactly the same as he was on AI. Of course he has changed some over time, but that is no different than the way you or I change as time goes on. I don't see that as changing into a different person. I see that as growing as a person. Everything anyone has loved about Clay is still there and always will be. We are just discovering even more layers that make him the amazing person that he is.

beautifully said Claylove.

Everyone has to be open to "listen" to the other with an open heart because just because we accept Clay doesn't mean we are without issues. Clay and us (gramm.. police here heee) have had to deal with a lot over the past few years. I know I've learned to deal with some of what has been dished at him. It's a bit tougher to deal with it coming from fans and friends. That's why for me I've lost a bit of patience at people who come at this in a place that shows him no respect. Those may very well be the people who told you they feel pushed out. You certainly haven't done that and I appreciate it. But yes in many ways my patience has run out and I'm being more blunt about how I feel. I'm very sorry if that hurts people but I have a right to an opinion too. And that's the way of message boards and communicating in general whether it's live and in person or behind the keyboard.

this inaugural concert is putting me to sleep -

ETA: thank you Garth Brooks

Has anyone seen this Obama montage set to "Weight of the World?"

BWAH! God, I love the San Francisco Bay Area. In today's SF Chronicle (an excerpt):

Cougars on the Prowl in the East Bay

More than 100 guests looking for liaisons, if not love, paid $10 each to mingle at the East Bay's first "Single Cougars Party," an event sponsored by the Society of Single Professionals, billed as the world's largest nonprofit for singles.

The aim, according to society founder Rich Gosse, was to help break the age taboo against older women dating younger men. More experienced women have been dubbed "cougars" for their independent, or, some say, predatory ways.

"It's more conventional in the Bay Area to be gay than it is to be a cougar,: Gosse said. "I'm trying to get cougars out of the closet."

The whole article is really interesting. It goes on to talk about the connotations of the term "cougar" and the reasons younger men might be attracted to older women. Very cool.

Clay and Ruben in Greensboro picture!

That was from last night???

Did Clay take a whirl in a time machine or something? :hubbahubba:

Aah, YouTube needs to be avoided! I found this really hilarious video of these people getting married and the pastor recites lyrics from OMWH (the song) and TITN. It might have others, but my speakers are crappy so I can't hear it all.

jamar, I'm lazier than you - I haven't even managed to get dressed yet. Good thing I live alone!

And what makes you think I'm dressed? :cryingwlaughter:

Are people dressed already? :imgtongue:

People get dressed on the weekends? Who knew?! (TM King Arthur)

Love the pic of pals Clay & Ruben! :wub:

Apropos of nothing - whenever I see this commercial I feel like striking the hostess with a blunt object.

Several times.

THEN there will be something that needs to use electricity in order to clean up.....

She makes me think of Rachel Ray on crack.

Also, I saw an episode title from Survivor that made me wonder if KAndre was there -

Episode 1603: "I Should Be Carried on the Chariot-Type Thing!"

Spam.gif

If anyone's bored or looking to procrastinate further, you might want to check out our main thread from 1 year ago tonight....

TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

Happy 1 year Spam-iversary!

Awwww...love the photo. I love them together (never been fond of the combined monikers such as Cluben, though-just me?) One of my all-time favorite photos is the one where they are on the AI tour bus, asleep against each other. I found it endearing that even in sleep, they looked so comfortable with each other. I am definitely in the "hoping for a future Clay/Ruben duet" camp, too. I think JIL was brilliant. And I always celebrate Memorial Day and July 4th by re-watching Clay and Ruben perform "God Bless the USA." Their impromptu performance on the Today show back in 2003 makes me schmoopy just thinking about it. :smiley_84:

Lucky 32?? Someone must REALLY like Lucky 32 because the road where the coliseum is located here in Greensboro is restaurant row. They actually had to drive out of their way to get to Lucky 32. As Fear and Claylove can attest from chauffeuring me around town mumblety mumblety times, Lucky 32 is on the way to MY house. They could have driven just a little further out Battleground...I would have been happy to feed them, so long as they weren't expecting anything fancy, like ya know...real food. I did make banana pudding for the weekend, so they could have at least had dessert. :flirtysmile3::imgtongue:

beautifully said Claylove.

Everyone has to be open to "listen" to the other with an open heart because just because we accept Clay doesn't mean we are without issues. Clay and us (gramm.. police here heee) have had to deal with a lot over the past few years. I know I've learned to deal with some of what has been dished at him. It's a bit tougher to deal with it coming from fans and friends. That's why for me I've lost a bit of patience at people who come at this in a place that shows him no respect. Those may very well be the people who told you they feel pushed out. You certainly haven't done that and I appreciate it. But yes in many ways my patience has run out and I'm being more blunt about how I feel. I'm very sorry if that hurts people but I have a right to an opinion too. And that's the way of message boards and communicating in general whether it's live and in person or behind the keyboard.

Word.

I can't help but feel that the statute of limitations for pissing and moaning about the person Clay is (or someone thought he was) has run out.

From ChP

Someone has posted the Miracle on the Hudson Montage here -- Music by Clay Aiken

http://raipurnews.info/miracle-hudson-6

very nice.

I wish another song had been used. The event and its results do not match the song.

the first song I thought of for a montage was weight of the world...the montage is beautiful..but I dont think the song matched the "event"

I met the Bay area clay fans today, had such a good time...it was mostly good to get out of the house..Im on duty 24/7 and this is the first time I got out for some me time since ive been here.