#23: Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• It is more than just the vox and the humor and the gahness!
    • Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.
    • In so many ways, Clay has made me throw my sanity to the wind.
    • Clay is just standing out there with his naked voice, balls proud, singing his heart out without a safety net.
    • "Them desire prospered New Year"
    • He's one yummy man from any angle I look at him.
    • I just betcha "Sir Robin" is going to fit his Clayness like a second skin.

I hope loving "stuff like the Sound of Music" doesn't make me an alien...or an idiot.

Of course it doesn't....

But Play you're not alone cuz I don't think I ever watched The Sound of Music. I do like musicals a lot though and old movies. ..or should I call them classics. I love Easter Parade.

Raise your hand if you don't have a cousin or uncle bubba LOL. KF that is a book waiting to happen.

Hey you're never more out of step than me when a new Harry Potter book or movie comes out...oh wait...KAndre's with me on that one right?

the kids (and nieces) call my brother Bubba!!! (he's a bit different fromme!! LOL)

What is this, true confessions and flashbacks?

:cryingwlaughter:

I probably need to go to the emergency room.

If you go, please get someone to drive you. You don't want to get woozy on the way. Take care, OK?? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I do like musicals a lot though and old movies. ..or should I call them classics.

<snip>

Hey you're never more out of step than me when a new Harry Potter book or movie comes out...oh wait...KAndre's with me on that one right?

I'm a "classic" movie/musical fan myself. The King and I with Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr (RIP this year) anyone? One of my absolute favorites!

I've tried to get into Harry Potter, but just can't.

ETA:

I connect to both musicals, old movies, Harry Potter and Cartman, Kyle & Kenny of South Park so maybe none of us are aliens.

I think Scarlett's got it!

keepingfaith, please do be careful! :friends:

see, stuff like the love of Sound of Music makes me feel like I am in an alien environment. mocantina.gif

I guess I weird that way.

Sorry...I was raised with musicals. My mother was very involved in music and I guess I inherited it from her.

I hope loving "stuff like the Sound of Music" doesn't make me an alien...or an idiot.

Look around - who is the person out of step here? me.

Heh, that reminds me whan I read about K'Andre and South Park, I immediately thought of Cartman and Kyle and Butters.

playbiller/jj/annabear, I connect to any of them - musicals, old movies, Harry Potter and Cartman, Kyle & Kenny of South Park so maybe none of us are aliens. I even consider "South Park: The Musical" to be one.... (apologizes in advance to everyone from Canada for liking the Canada song from that "film")

jumpingjacks, Christopher Plummer's dubbing (or what I thought was lip-synching) wasn't that big a deal for me since I saw "Sound of Music" too early to have a crush on the Captain. What devastated me was finding out that Audrey Hepburn was dubbed on MFL & B@T. OTOH, it was a relief to find out that Clint Eastwood didn't really sing "Paint Your Wagon".

Another day and a half away, another 10 pages to read....God I love this place.

{{{{{{merrieeee}}}}}}

I really have nothing else to add to the discussions around here. I mean, I just went to visit my Mother -- and I always find it amazing that I fell right back into the "you're the baby of the family" feeling that I almost always get when I'm home. Those silly parental roles really can play a number on your. Also, I went back to my rural area. Heh. I'm glad to read that there are others of you around here that are of smaller places than me! YAY! MY PEOPLE!!!

Topic? Well, I've never seen "The Wizard of Oz" all the way through, I found the flying monkeys way too scary and will never watch that movie again. I'm guessing that Clay probably has watched it, though.

jumpingjacks, Christopher Plummer's dubbing (or what I thought was lip-synching) wasn't that big a deal for me since I saw "Sound of Music" too early to have a crush on the Captain. What devastated me was finding out that Audrey Hepburn was dubbed on MFL & B@T. OTOH, it was a relief to find out that Clint Eastwood didn't really sing "Paint Your Wagon".

I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't find out about the dubbing until I was old enough to know better....sadly I think I was in high school.

The person who dubbed for Audrey Hepburn in MFL and B@T is actually in SofM....she is a nun.

Can't get into the Harry Potter books, either.

OTOH, it was a relief to find out that Clint Eastwood didn't really sing "Paint Your Wagon".

Huh? He didn't sing "I Talk to the Trees" in that movie? Yes, he did! Clint sang! I just KNOW he did! :cryingwlaughter:

I like musicals but need to get in the mood for them. Prep myself to suspend belief so that when somebody bursts into song at the most absurd moments in the plot, I can just relax and enjoy the music...heh.

Raise your hand if you don't have a cousin or uncle bubba LOL. KF that is a book waiting to happen.

hi.gif

Now if you start counting relatives called Stash........

Truithfully, there are certain movies taht people love that do noting for me. never saw Gone with the wind due to circumstances, and now have lost all desire to see it. But Casablanca, I could watch forever. Even read the "making of" book which is a riot of flying by the seat of your pants to get an owesy movie out of the way and how the script would be written at night and filmed in the morning with a lot of random dialogue generators going. For "musicals", you can't beat the original producers with Zero Mostel. I also like the b movies version of things like Holiday Inn and otehr not to serious movies or maybe Singing in the Rain is one of the best.

Oooh, I love musicals, old and new! Especially the Fred Astaire ones. And Gene Kelly. And Danny Kaye. *happy sigh* Didn't Clay talk about this once? About a soundtrack to life (or something like that)? Seriously, what couldn't be overcome by being able to burst into song when mere words just won't do? FLOVE!! My favorite musical of all time is The Court Jester, with Danny Kaye and Glynnis Johns. I have the soundtrack on my not-an-iPod. The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle. The chalice with the palace has the brew that is true! So now who's a dork? *g*

Apart from the HP &LOTR series , the only movies I own are modern musicals. Grease, Rent, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Dreamgirls, and my absolute favorite of the modern era, Moulin Rouge (Ewan McGregor wuz robbed, I tell ya!! He should've won an Oscar for that).

Topic? Well, I've never seen "The Wizard of Oz" all the way through, I found the flying monkeys way too scary and will never watch that movie again. I'm guessing that Clay probably has watched it, though.

What??? :o ;) Another one of my favorite movies evah!

The flying monkeys never bothered me, oddly enough. But I do remember my grandmother having a pair of red patent leather dress shoes that were for some odd reason in the car and sticking out from under the seat, a la the wicked witch when the house falls on her. I was probably 3-4 and completely convinced that the wicked witch was under the seat! :unsure:

Some time I would love to see Clay play Danny Kaye and sing the pellet in the pestle song. But only after he is more established. nothing like being great in a biography to kill a beginnning career.

I have3 seen bits and pieces of the Wizard of Oz, I lost all interest in seeing the whole movie as I have see so much of it already.

My son learned to tap dance to meet girls, (he went to an all boys school that worked with the all girls school to put on a musical each year) and my daughter ended up as a theater tech, degreed in costuming, but she's worked about everything backstage and managed a few scenes in front of the lights besides. Point being, I have sat through about a gazillion or so musicals in my lifetime. Luckily, I love them...all of them actually, if done well.

My latest love is Dreamgirls. I watch the movie whenever I can...trouble is now I can't stand to hear Beyonce' belt out Listen. I much prefer both Angela's and Quiana's versions to hers.

...forgot to mention...no Bubbas, but a Skip here and there. lol

More than the musicals themselves, I loved the soundtracks to the musicals. Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, Carousel, Camelot, Paint Your Wagon, we had all the LPs and I knew all the words to all the songs. As a child I thought there was no more beautiful sound than Julie Andrews' voice. The newer musicals (Rent, JOseph, etc.) just don't hold the same appeal for me. Gee...I think I finally grew up. I do adore Phantom, though. The Broadway cast, not the movie track.

It never bothered me a bit when they broke into song at absurd moments. I mean, Maria & Tony singing There's a Place For Us as he lay dying on the sidewalk? It was totally romantic for me, not a bit absurd. :cryingwlaughter:

I want to know which nun it was in SOM that did the dubbing in MR and B@T.

Well, I need to pack it in for tonight. We have one more family 'Christmas' gathering tomorrow and then we'll be done for the season. Cant wait to throw this Christmas tree down the basement stairs and reclaim my living room.

ETA: My great-nephew calls my brohter Uncle Bubba. My brother calls my great-nephew Bubba. I have no idea why they only call each other Bubba, and no one else ever calls either of them by that name. But, yes, I have to say there are two Bubbas in the family.

"The Sound of Music" was always one of my favorites, so much so that the last time I was in Austria, I went on a "Sound of Music" tour. Yes, I know all the words to all the songs! I also love "Singing in the Rain," as well as "Gigi." Growing up, my family had season tickets to the musical theater in Houston, and we tended to see most of the big touring shows, so we saw many, many productions over the years. My all time favorite is "Les Miserables," which I've seen four times.

I was raised in the northern suburbs of Houston, and though we were technically not within city limits, I always related to the city and felt a part of it. I loved having access to the theater, professional sporting events, and a diverse and vibrant restaurant scene. BTW: My high school had over 2400 students, with my graduating class at 740. I'll admit, when I went to school in a city of 100,000 for a couple of years, it felt so small and limited to me. I guess I'm just a city girl at heart, which is probably why I ended up in Los Angeles.

It was the tornado in Wizard of Oz that scared me!

LOVED GWTW.

I love a lot of musicals, mainly older ones, but like muski, I must be in the mood for them because they truly do ask you to suspend belief.

The King and I is also one of my favorites. I met Yul Brynner once. I saw him in the King and I locally once and my friend and I hung out at the stage door with a few others. He came out and was so kind and gracious to each of us. I have his autograph on my Playbill somewhere. The shocking thing to me was how short he was! On stage he looked big, he so dominated it. In person he was tiny - no more than 5'6" I bet - if that - and very slight.

Danny Kaye? I dated someone named Danny Kaye once. Even had red hair. Turned out to be a real jerk.

Wizard of Oz? Well my screenname at the OFC is Ozfan4 so I guess you know where I stand on that movie...actually, I am collector of all things Oz...books, records, Christmas Ornaments...hubby and like to to go antiquing and that is usually what I hunt for.

Casablanca...my favorite movie ever and I think I watched Gone With The Wind straight through once...like the book much better!

Kim

I guess I'm the really easy one around here -- no one has named anything I really dislike and I also have LOTR, GWTW, Casablanca, Grease, Rent, Moulin Rouge, etc.

As musicals go, some songs I'd love to hear Clay sing are: "Being Alive" from Company, "Lily's Eyes" and "Race You To The Top of the Morning" from The Secret Garden, "Soliloquy" from Carousel, "If Every I Would Leave You" from Camelot, "Defying Gravity" from Wicked, "Bui-doi" from Miss Saigon... Oh, who am I kidding? I'm one of those who'd literally listen to him singing a Chinese Menu.

ETA: *Looks down & covers eyes. Yikes. Help please!*

Oops, spoke too soon! I just can't stand POTO but have loved Les Mis for (eep!) 20 years.

ETAA: {{{{Gibby}}}}

As far as cousins, my dad's side was all Italian, so some Tony Sopranos, yes. Bubbas, no. :cryingwlaughter:

Phantom & Les Mis are two productions that I could see over and over again and never tire of. Absolutely LOVE both of them.

Also, just about any movie with Jimmy Stewart.

Marnie Nixon played Sister Sophia in TSOM. Marnie Nixon provided the voiceovers for Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, for Natalie Wood in West Side Story, and for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, among others.

I forgot to weigh in on this hick thing - and I just know you are waiting with baited breath for me to do so! :cryingwlaughter:

I was born in Philly, but we moved to the suburbs when I was still a baby. I have lived in suburbs all my life. The hickiest place I ever lived was probably Kalamazoo because it wasn't much of a city back then. But I was always drawn to the country. I went to college in a town of 3500. I live now sort of in the country - but truth be told, 15 minutes away is a mall, I'm a 45 minute train ride to the city. There is civilization all around. But its peaceful and quiet and gorgeous.

Lately, though, I keep think I might be happier someplace more citified - at least someplace where I could walk to more things and do more things. I think I would like living in a city if I had the money to live they way I would like. I love going to NYC when I go with my friend and we stay with her brother's in his lovely apartment and he takes us out to dinner at a lovely restaurant I could never afford otherwise. I am addicted to HGTV's "House Hunters" and see these cool loft type condos in Chicago and think I would like to live like that. If I loved the city and had the money to live nicely, I think I could be a city girl.

I do not consider Raleigh the sticks. It is a city. It isn't NYC or Chicago or even Philly, but its hardly the sticks. I am sure the sticks are nearby, but I don't think where Clay grew up could be called the sticks by any stretch of the imagination.

I feel like I'm in a freaking musical much of the time. Why? Because my 15-year loves singing and loves musicals. She does have a really nice voice, thanks to a great voice teacher, but it can get annoying when she's in a musical and she sings it ALL of the time at home. It's not unusual for her to sing answers to questions at home. And she sings her choir songs and her solo competition songs, and on and on. Sometimes I have to ask her to only sing behind closed doors for awhile so my ears can get a rest!

So, to earn extra money, what am I doing the next few months? I'm going to be the rehearsal and pit pianist for her high school musical, Titanic. I agreed to do it (for money, of course!!) and then saw the piano score, which is 327 pages long. Eeeep! There isn't much plain acting in this musical, it's mostly all singing. My hands and wrists are going to be sore, I think!

:party20:

It's a good thing I like musicals! And I love LOTR and Harry Potter.