#30: Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken
    • "If I hear the term 'radio-friendly' one more time, I'm going to scream"
    • I'm ridiculously in love with the man & that's all there is to it.
    • "That will be an extra $50 for the butt squeeze!"
    • A snippet of Clay beats the hell out of the whole damn thing of anyone else!
    • Slovenia...who would a thunk it? I love Slovenia.
    • And if you strip away the friendly sweaters and smooth hair and charming smile, there's a feral creature underneath waiting to BITE you.
    • We've climbed on Mr. Aiken's Wild Ride!!!! Only this time it's an A Ticket!!!!
    • "You're doing GREAT!"
    • Clay Aiken is my high.
    • Clay Aiken is more punk then any of these groups.
    • "I still don't understand why people like my ass, I'm sorry!"

It's impossible to critique just a few seconds as it's only an indicator of the nature of the song, but I shared the snippets with the bedrock non-Clay person in my family, someone who loves popular music and still listens to the radio -- and she particularly likes Falling and Weight of the World and wants to hear more. Excellent.

I hesitate to defend The Real Me, having heard only the bit, but if this thing has some dramatic flourishes, a few echo techniques, and interesting chord progressions, it could be a cornerstone hit for Clay. Tear-tinged melodies with climactic moments sung by great interpretive voices have always and will continue to be extremely popular, and have been known to cause cravings. I think it's built into the human psyche.

I definitely hear more strings in LAA, and a fuller sound, which I think is a good thing. I don't think it has been re-recorded but remixed, because Clay's voice sounds the same as the original.

Didn't someone post that they had never broken $100k at Spamalot?

Whoa - if that's true, Clay will be responsible for breaking yet another record in donations.....

I keep trying to find the auction items on eBay but it ain't intuitive what to search for. Tried charity. Tried Broadway Equity. Tried Clay Aiken. Does anyone have the link? And who is the woman who keeps "winning" Clay's clothes and then displays them in her classroom? Snoopy? Sloopy? Something like that. Wonder if she's bidding on any of his costumes.

How are y'all getting so much to talk about out of a few seconds of a song? I'm impressed.

Re LAA:

It sounded like it was re-recorded to me also. I can't wait to hear the full version. David Foster's piano version was dreadful. It did not do Clay's beautiful lyrics justice, IMHO. I thought I detected strings and a more orchestral sound in the very, very short snippet we got. I figured this cd would be more like MOAM than ATDW. So far I think Ashes is my favorite, and The Real Me my least favorite. Of course it's all subject to change once I hear the whole CD.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't hear a difference at all. And I'd never call the arrangement on the original LAA dreadful....not in a million years.

aikim... don't forget tomorrow is the day of pre-order for itunes to get the bonus track.

EEEEEEEEEEEEE thanks for the reminder!

And who is the woman who keeps "winning" Clay's clothes and then displays them in her classroom? Snoopy? Sloopy? Something like that. Wonder if she's bidding on any of his costumes.

Her board name is Spooky...I believe there are some numbers after it as well. She has won some auctions of his clothes and shoes, usually charity auctions. I don't know if she's bidding this time, but if she has plans to, she may not bid until the end. I've met her before, she's nice.

OK off to do some yard work, while the sun is still shining!

I keep trying to find the auction items on eBay but it ain't intuitive what to search for. Tried charity. Tried Broadway Equity. Tried Clay Aiken. Does anyone have the link?

Right this minute, the auction is on the front page of eBay--just click the Spamalot picture. In case it doesn't stay there, here's the link: nyraisealot.

I have a confession to make.

Remember that day when we all got a text message from boyfriend, asking him to call him for a message? Well, he used alternative keystrokes for me, and I had to call a supra-sekret number, where Clay asked me personally to play handbells on his latest album. He had read about my playing handbells on this board *waves at Clay* and asked me personally to do this for him. Yes, on the song "Something About Us," that's handbells, played by yours truly. Those days when I was saying that I was so busy at work? I lied. I was actually in NYC recording this part. (BTW, Kipper says to tell everyone at FCA "hello.")

He wanted me on that particular song because...well, I'm the second part of the "us" in the title. Yes. It's true.

couchie, maybe this should have been in the supra sekret thread here?

And I probably shouldn't be announcing this confession on my 10th anniversary weekend, eh?

The signed posters are $100 - the signed playbills are $40. The poster is thick paper,. I don't want torollit up.I got home too late and took too longto catch up here, so I will see if it can be boxed. I would rather deliver it flat, myself. But I suppose you can roll it up.

I didn't realize they were so expensive. I have a friend attending today and she was going to get one for me if she could easily get it home. Sounds like it will be a pain and that is too much money. I think I'm going to have to pass on that.

Thanks for the reply!

It's impossible to critique just a few seconds as it's only an indicator of the nature of the song, but I shared the snippets with the bedrock non-Clay person in my family, someone who loves popular music and still listens to the radio -- and she particularly likes Falling and Weight of the World and wants to hear more. Excellent.

I hesitate to defend The Real Me, having heard only the bit, but if this thing has some dramatic flourishes, a few echo techniques, and interesting chord progressions, it could be a cornerstone hit for Clay. Tear-tinged melodies with climactic moments sung by great interpretive voices have always and will continue to be extremely popular, and have been known to cause cravings. I think it's built into the human psyche.

I definitely hear more strings in LAA, and a fuller sound, which I think is a good thing. I don't think it has been re-recorded but remixed, because Clay's voice sounds the same as the original.

A very good thing. I agree. Apparently though there must be something wrong with our hearing. :cryingwlaughter: I'll have to go back and listen again, but I thought it sounded like he was more uptempo in this version too. I don't know why we got a much shorter snippet on this song than the others. It is so hard to get a feel for it. I am so curious.

Ahh. I remember that webisode with Quianna in it. You could be right on who is singing with her, liney, I just hear two voices. Can't tell who they are, but it does sound like Quaianna is one of them.

I'm sure lots of fans like David Foster and the way he produced the music for LAA. Music is subjective and we can all have our own opinions on it. I think most would agree. I've always loved the lyrics to Clay's song, LAA. I just never liked the music David Foster wrote for it. To me it is DREADFUL. Too slow and too long. Didn't stop me from owning it. I can't wait to hear the full version on the new cd. If it is the same then, Que sera sera. I'll own 7 more copies of it. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Clayzorback, for sure, David Foster's playing does have a different "touch" than William Joseph or Jesse Vargas I've found that experimenting with my media player settings, either on computer or ipod, can change the way I "hear" Clay's songs. I have my ipod set on "Spoken voice", which seems silly when there are so many other musical settings to choose from. But for me, his voice comes out better on that setting than any other. There must have been a reason to place the piano where they did in the mix because Clay seems to have strong opinions on the sound he wants. To me, the piano is the heartbeat of the song, giving the melancholy lyrics a sense of urgency, like one lonely day relentlessly flowing into another....and another day...another day. I can see how some ears might find it jarring mixed with such vulnerable words.

I haven't heard the new snippets, mind you, so have no way of knowing whether the song has been remixed or not. I kind of doubt it, simply because Clay has specifically said it is the only song on the album NOT produced by Kipper. I'm very curious to find out!!! :)

Aha! Clayzorback, your last post gave me a clue. Someone on the CH mentioned yesterday that one of the Slovenian snippets seemed 'speeded up', but the other snippet from another site sounded normal. I wonder if that's the difference your ear is detecting. Either way, I guess we have a few more days to wait to hear this new/old version, eh?

Speaking of remixed...do y'all remember the Howard Jones song "No One is to Blame"? When it first came out, it had a very dominant piano sound that I LOVED...and then they switched to a more music box sound that I really DON'T like. Love the song, but hate to download the version with the tinkling synthesized sound. Anyone remember the piano version or know where to download it?

Didn't Clay say in one of the interviews that LAA was the only track on the CD that Kipper did NOT produce? Which of course indicated to me that they did not re-record it. But, of course, I know nothin'.

---

I have a mini-trip recap I'll put in the Spamalot thread. But it's more trip recap than Spam recap since I don't have much to add about Spamalot ... I just enjoyed and loved the whole thing :wub:

---

I listened to the snippets once and then deleted them. Yeah. Pat me on the back and gimme a cookie. I'm verra verra excited about the next couple of weeks!

:lilredani:

Isn't it possible that Clay meant that kipper didn't produce LAA originally, but possible he could of remixed it? Is producing and remixing one and the same? It isn't important. Not criticising just making an observation, the same as keepingfaith, that the song sounds different on this cd.

You could be right about why it sounds speeded up Oolsee. I wonder why they would just speed up one song though, from all the snippets, or did they speed them all up? I couldn't listen to the other link. I just got the message it was downloading song but it never finished downloading. So I can't compare.

As I recall David wrote the music first, then gave it to Clay to write lyrics to. The piano and tempo would seem to be already set for Clay. Of course he could of made requests to change parts of the song the way he liked it. I've always felt Clay has a lot more input into his CDs than fans give him credit for.

I bet the Spamalot crew is ecstatic at the amount of money Clay has brought in for them. Not only with tickets sales but with merchandise sales, and auctioned items. Another new record set for our man. :clap:

Now I am off to go outdoors and enjoy one of the first few nice days we've had here lately. I think I will fix me a martini and work on a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle on the patio. Of course Clay music cranked up for the neighbors to hear. :cryingwlaughter:

I'm sure lots of fans like David Foster and the way he produced the music for LAA. Music is subjective and we can all have our own opinions on it. I think most would agree. I've always loved the lyrics to Clay's song, LAA. I just never liked the music David Foster wrote for it. To me it is DREADFUL. Too slow and too long. Didn't stop me from owning it. I can't wait to hear the full version on the new cd. If it is the same then, Que sera sera. I'll own 7 more copies of it. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Not sure I get how you feel......maybe next time you could repeat it again, but in larger font, bolded, with blinkies all around it for emphasis. :cryingwlaughter: But since I agree that music is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'd still disagree with you. :) :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I just listened to LAA and there are parts that have more than just the cello and the piano. I do recognize the part that was sampled and it sounds the same to my ears. There was a part in LAA where I think other string instruments, a guitar come in. I believe its the same but the snippets is not really as clean as the one from itunes so it may sound different somewhat. Maybe Gibby can give her opinion on this.

I personally love the production of LAA and its not Foster that produced it. I am actually happy he didn't cos I am afraid he may over produce it the way he likes to do with Groban songs. The mood of the piece is supposed to be haunting, introspective, sad...thats why the combination of piano, cello guitar was just perfect for me...I really hope that song gets more recognition. It would be perfect for a movie or TV soundtrack.

Clayzor...I thought it was pretty clear by what Clay said that Kipper didn't touch the song. If Kipper did remix it then Clay should give him credit, but since he didn't I assume it was left as is, unless someone else remixed it, but I doubt.

I just listened to LAA and there are parts that have more than just the cello and the piano. I do recognize the part that was sampled and it sounds the same to my ears. There was a part in LAA where I think other string instruments, a guitar come in. I believe its the same but the snippets is not really as clean as the one from itunes so it may sound different somewhat. Maybe Gibby can give her opinion on this.

I personally love the production of LAA and its not Foster that produced it. I am actually happy he didn't cos I am afraid he may over produce it the way he likes to do with Groban songs. The mood of the piece is supposed to be haunting, introspective, sad...thats why the combination of piano, cello guitar was just perfect for me...I really hope that song gets more recognition. It would be perfect for a movie or TV soundtrack.

Clayzor...I thought it was pretty clear by what Clay said that Kipper didn't touch the song. If Kipper did remix it then Clay should give him credit, but since he didn't I assume it was left as is, unless someone else remixed it, but I doubt.

I agree with every word. LAA is beautiful just the way it is.

Whatever Idyj had for breakfast.....I want some!!!!! :whistling-1:

I'm not sure why Clay would go to the expense of re-recording, re-mixing, whatever for LAA. I loved it. I thought it was supposed to be slow and I also liked David Foster's accompaniement. Guess I just like the idea of someone who wrote the music playing it - seems to mean so much more!!!! I always hoped Clay didn't write those lyrics from personal experience.....but after seeing the words to some of the new songs.....hmmmm.....!!!!!! If someone broke his heart I suggest we form a posse and go smack her one!!!

I know Kipper managed to work a LOT of musical iinstruments into this CD - but I am a bit disappointed - needs more cowbell.

SSSHHHHH....I have been texted a super sekrit link to a pirated video of a bit of the studio sessions for OMWH. The names have been changed to protect, um, something - and they decided to go in a different direction. But for those who want to see the creative process, this is priceless. The opening titles are deliberately wrong in order to fool the non-seriously nosy, um, inquistive, fans.....

sekrit OMWH recording session

Saw this on CH and it CMSU! :cryingwlaughter: Just goes to show ya' how freakin' goofy the media's take on Clay's popularity is..

A slightly different opinion about Clay/Ruben from the Philippine Daily Enquirer.

Season Two winner Ruben Studdard continues to perform, but he’s been roundly upstaged by “loser” Clay Aiken, who now rates a heftier talent fee than Studdard. “Blame” that on the fact that Aiken looks better, so he has the female teen demographic going for him.

"Aiken looks better"---now that's a first from the media!

"female teen" demographic---well, one of out two ain't bad! :cryingwlaughter:

I looked for a recap thread but didn't find one. So here it is in all it's glory...scroll at will.

Spamalot.

I really really loved Spamalot. All of it. From the fish slapping to the last curtain. It isn't anything I probably would have wanted to see if Clay had not been doing it. MP was never my thing but I may have to revist that. To me...the whole experience is just plain fun.

:clap:

I have a hard time picking a favorite part or scene because I liked it all. Clay was just non-stop adorable. :wub: We saw Hannah Sat. and had her understudy Sun. Hannah was much better, of course. Ummmm.....the mezzanine seats we had for Sunday's show were great! We were in Row B Right Mezz. on the center isle But the leg room up there sucks donkey balls. There was a larger guy seated across the aisle from me and he looked like he was in pain just trying to fit in there.

--

The trip.

This was not a Claycentric trip for me. My daughter E is seeing someone who lives in NYC and when I told her Clay was going to be in Spamalot she SQUUEEEE'd because she has wanted to see it while she was out there but no one would go with her. So that is how the trip actually came together. Somewhere along the line her BFF D. decided to go too.

We stayed at the Club Quarters Downtown. Got a good rate (around $200.00 a night) because it's located on Wall Street and empties out on the weekends. It was very and secure but the room was on the smallish size. The area was pretty quiet. We bought $20.00 Metro cards and took the subway just about everywhere we needed to go.

I recommend John's Pizzeria. We had 2 medium pizzas, way more than we needed to feed 3 famished women and one largish guy. We also had drinks and the tab was a bit over $50.00. Make sure if you go there to look up!

We also went to Chevy's (located on W. 42nd Street & 8th Ave) for gi-normous margaritas.

One of E's college friends works at the Time Square Comedy Club. He is in an improv show called Eight is Never Enough. We saw that Friday night. They sell the tickets on the street but I don't know for how much, E thought it was $8.00. There is also a two drink minimum...but it is advertised as a family-friendly show and they draw lots of their business from that.

Saturday we walked to the WTC site. The observation area was closed. Perhaps to prepare for the Pope's visit. That was a bummer but there is this historic colonial era church right in front of the site. Don't miss it! St. Paul's Chapel. If you go to the bottom of that site you can see some pictures. Apparently this church served as an aid station after the attack.

We were also able to walk down to the Staten Island Ferry and Battery Park. Both worth seeing ... and free! Make sure to get the same side on the way back if you want the opposite view. It was really very relaxing. Don't miss seeing the The Sphere in Battery Park. It's a sculpture that once stood between the World Trade Center towers. It it was dug out of the rubble and relocated to Battery Park with an eternal flame as a memorial to the victims of 9/11.

Another great free place to visit is the New York Public Library. It is really an incredible building. Don't miss the original "Pooh" plush stuffed animals on the second floor.

Saturday night the twenty somethings planned to stay out all night (OY!) so ducky came in on the train and we took in an additional showing of Spamalot! We got tickets that afternoon and would have done SRO if I hadn't walked all over Manhattan that day. We got obstructed view on the right side. Knowing the staging really helped!

:lilredani:

Saw this on Clayversity (from KMH at CH) and thought it was worth posting here:

Remakes

The Real Me - Originally released by Natalie Grant on "Awake" (2005)

As Long As We're Here - Originally released by Kristy Starling on "Kristy Starling" (2003)

Something About Us - Originally released by Michael O'Brien on "Something About Us" (2007)

Grace of God - Originally release by Hummingbird on "Tougher Than Love" (2007)

Not Remakes

On My Way Here - Available as a Tedder demo but never officially released

Everything I Don't Need - Written by Kipper

Where I Draw the Line - written by Clint Lagerberg. Available as a mySpace demo but never officially released.

Sacrificial Love - written by Carl Falk, Didrik Thott and Sharon Vaugn

Released Previously by Clay

Lover All Alone

Unknown

Ashes

Falling

Weight Of The World

I have a confession to make.

Remember that day when we all got a text message from boyfriend, asking him to call him for a message? Well, he used alternative keystrokes for me, and I had to call a supra-sekret number, where Clay asked me personally to play handbells on his latest album. He had read about my playing handbells on this board *waves at Clay* and asked me personally to do this for him. Yes, on the song "Something About Us," that's handbells, played by yours truly. Those days when I was saying that I was so busy at work? I lied. I was actually in NYC recording this part. (BTW, Kipper says to tell everyone at FCA "hello.")

He wanted me on that particular song because...well, I'm the second part of the "us" in the title. Yes. It's true.

couchie, maybe this should have been in the supra sekret thread here?

And I probably shouldn't be announcing this confession on my 10th anniversary weekend, eh?

Does this mean we need to start planning on throwing you a shower?

Cool recap, jamar. I love the Sphere picture. I've never seen it before. My sister stayed at that hotel a few weeks ago and loved it... good location downtown. I think we probably sat very near each other Saturday night. Sorry to have missed meeting you.

I listened to LAA a bunch yesterday -- I don't think the ringtone/snippet version is any different than the original... kinda hard to tell with such a low quality version, but it seemed the same to me.

Walmart has some snippets posted, including Grace of God, but I can't make them play. Can anyone else?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp...=61&sdir=xx

Click Quick View under the album cover.

What's a NYC Pass?