#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

belle.. welcome..you're not barging in.. there are always multiple conversations going on here. Can you tell us a bit about the judge judy show ..maybe we can get a hint at the production values, acting, etc or at least whether you enjoyed yourself.

Maybe you're right, Couchie.

I'd have to go back and watch the Billy Bush interview. I don't remember it all that well. I wasn't really thinking of Clay reading the boards. I was thinking more of maybe his being asked about it. I don't really remember where the "coming out" interpretation came from. I surely don't visit any of the gnatty sites.

I do think it might piss him off a bit if someone took a song written by a CCM songwriter and put that spin on it.

BTW, I never listened to anybody else's version of these songs either. Have no desire to now, either.

I think of them all as Clay songs! :)

Off to bed!

:claydreaming_ClayIzzaQt:

Here's something... I listened many times to the song before reading the lyrics. I was surprised to find the line 'Shadows of shatttered dreams, they follow me.' I am certain that he sings 'shadows are shattered dreams...' It might be my ears, but I don't think so. And it might be the ARLG, but I like to think he changed it on purpose, because to me it brings a deeper meaning to the line.

I hear it the same way you do, cindilu. I think I saw the lyrics first, but they didn't match what I was hearing- and I do think are makes more sense in the context of the lyric.

This is one of the top 3 on the album for me. I think it's clearly an emotional and personal song for him. And I seem to remember Clay saying that it was about celebrity and how important it was to have someone who really knows you, and I also remember him saying that the writer of the song was kind enough to change some of the lyrics for him.

Then again, I've been suffering from mom-nesia for years, and am lucky to remember my own name at times, so what do I know?? :cryingwlaughter:

Oh, wait- here's something I'm SURE of!!! :DoClay:

Well this "shadows of shattered dreams" vs. "shadows are shattered dreams" could very well replace the "well, well" vs. "well, now" controversy!! I just played it about 10 times (only for the sake of research) and I definitely hear "are" not "of."

So, is it the Aiken Random Lyric Generator, a misprint, an intentional change, or faulty hearing on my part. I leave it to you to decide!

Awww Belle - you weren't barging in. There's usually several different discussions going on at any given time anyway. We've all been kind of wondering what that show was all about. Now if only you could explain Acrobats on Amazon.......hee! hee!

The smoke is getting thicker around my house. I've checked with CAL Fire to see if there's a fire close. I'm getting skeered. Most of all if I DID have to evacuate it would prolly take me a month of Sundays to catch the furbrats and put them in their carriers. I know I'm overreacting right now - it's just smoke from elsewhere, but it does give one pause for thought!

So, is it the Aiken Random Lyric Generator

What do you want to bet he sings it both ways when he finally tours......

Just found this on CAL Fire...

Amador-El Dorado Unit: All fires have been contained
So, no worries.

Thanks for the welcome. I recognize some names here.

The show I attened was a murder mystery held in Judge Judy's courtroom. It was a low-budget type of production with really no setting to speak of and only a handful of props. The characters would walk around the room between tables and would direct some of their remarks to the dinner guests. In fact, one of the remarks was directed to my husband about his hair. After the murder took place ( which occured when the lights were dimmed) and the play/show was over, the audience received a slip of paper and we had to guess who committed the murder and what the motive was.

When I saw the listing of upcoming shows and Americal Idol Clay's Revenge being one of them, my immediate thought was how Clay Aiken despite not winning the show was the name most likely to be forever etched in the minds of people in years to come when they think about AI. As I posted earlier, I don't believe this particular show/play was ever presented at the same fire company because I never saw it advertised. Perhaps the production company just stopped doing them for a period of time so it is interesting that this call for auditions now appears. I will keep an eye out for when and where it can be seen.

Shadows of...Shadows are...I think the confusion is there because he does not really emphasize the f in of ...But I do think he says Of because I hear the O sound but not A for are...Proabably live he will sing IN...hee

forgot to say that great for the good news of gbmifan...and also for the CAL fires...glad y'all are safe

I'm going to mention one more thing before I go to bed.

Maybe we didn't see a spark between Clay and Jaymes because Clay didn't want us to. I can see Clay trying to keep his love life a secret. I think he wants to protect his love ones from the media. I don't know if Clay and Jaymes are in a romantic relationship, but it's a posibility. It's also a possibility that the whole thing is not true.

Good night everyone! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

LNM, I have thought the same thing. That when Clay is in public/on stage he does his thing, but we'd never see his true romantic feelings on display. Somehow to me that seems how the real Clay would be.

I think one giveaway about The Real Me is that the piano intro has a spiritual sound. It moves to being a beautiful pop ballad, but the intro David played seems to be a big hint.

To change the subject, I've been questioning a 60's-70's type variety show in Clay's future after watching about a half hour of America's Got Talent tonight. These dancing/singing/variety reality programs are the Ed Sullivan Show / Carol Burnett Show / Saturday Night at the Palladium, etc. for the new millenium - with low-paid talent. At least for now. I take Clay at his word that he really really really really wants a talk show. And I think he'll have one eventually. I think he wants to record and tour -- but I think he also wants to talk -- on TV. He is such a natural ON talk shows, it makes sense for him to host one. I remember when Mo Rocco asked him what he'd do if he weren't singing and Clay said it would be hard for him to go back to the classroom. If ever worse came to worst for Clay, and the recording industry was lying in destruction and people couldn't afford to buy tickets to concerts, you can bet Clay Aiken would have a talk show somewhere, even if on local TV in Raleigh, and he'd love every minute of it. And knowing Clay he'd grow it to national syndication and be back on top in no time. Don't mind me, just thinking with my fingers.

rohdy I enjoyed your video.

Tom Hanks, I hated Forrest Gump but loved Charlie Wilson's War Tom did some mighty fine acting in that role. Mike Nichols directed by the way.

The Real Me, I almost can't wait for it on the cd. I don't think I have ever heard Clay sing finer. From the little bit we hears on QVC, he won't have a problem singing it in concert. Without You is the only other Clay song that hits me the way this does. He may be doing some serious acting on these songs. I have to admit I haven't read the lyrics so I may have a lot of misinterpretations of the songs.

I love the way TRM builds in intensity, almost has a tension that leaves the listener anticipating the climax of the song.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but on our last weekly drive to meet son#2 for dinner in a nearby town, I was putting NPR on the radio since my husband was in the car. Amazingly he told me to put on Clay's cd instead. I think he really likes it.

Okay I have a question. Beneath my scream name, it says "dog walker". Where did that come from? I have a specific reason for asking.

oh it's just our designations... so you will be a dog walker until your 51st post then you will turn into a body guard and so on and so forth ...

the designations are all jobs in Clay's inner circle....

Okay I have a question. Beneath my scream name, it says "dog walker". Where did that come from? I have a specific reason for asking.

that is level of membership...that changes as your post count goes up..the next level is body guard... we set it up that way to represent the different people in Clay's entourage, so dog walker is entry level...highest level is stylist...cos you get to dress clay...and you control the hair color...hee Yup its more important than Chairman of the recording company...hee

Thank you for answering my question about the dog walker designation. How fitting. Every Thursday night, I drive to Allentown and walk the dogs at a "no-kill" animal shelter. I love those dogs and enjoy their walk as much as they do. Additionally, I give them some TLC. We had a huge yard sale on Saturday and raised $1100 for the shelter. As you can tell, I am a big dog lover...well, I love animals in general and I have a big 120 lb. German Shepherd named "Belle". The ultimate dog walking job of course, would be walking Raleigh and Durham. I'm pretty sure they already receive a huge dose of TLC from their Daddy.

Maybe we didn't see a spark between Clay and Jaymes because Clay didn't want us to. I can see Clay trying to keep his love life a secret. I think he wants to protect his love ones from the media. I don't know if Clay and Jaymes are in a romantic relationship, but it's a posibility. It's also a possibility that the whole thing is not true.

Good night everyone! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

LNM, I have thought the same thing. That when Clay is in public/on stage he does his thing, but we'd never see his true romantic feelings on display. Somehow to me that seems how the real Clay would be.

I think one giveaway about The Real Me is that the piano intro has a spiritual sound. It moves to being a beautiful pop ballad, but the intro David played seems to be a big hint.

To change the subject, I've been questioning a 60's-70's type variety show in Clay's future after watching about a half hour of America's Got Talent tonight. These dancing/singing/variety reality programs are the Ed Sullivan Show / Carol Burnett Show / Saturday Night at the Palladium, etc. for the new millenium - with low-paid talent. At least for now. I take Clay at his word that he really really really really wants a talk show. And I think he'll have one eventually. I think he wants to record and tour -- but I think he also wants to talk -- on TV. He is such a natural ON talk shows, it makes sense for him to host one. I remember when Mo Rocco asked him what he'd do if he weren't singing and Clay said it would be hard for him to go back to the classroom. If ever worse came to worst for Clay, and the recording industry was lying in destruction and people couldn't afford to buy tickets to concerts, you can bet Clay Aiken would have a talk show somewhere, even if on local TV in Raleigh, and he'd love every minute of it. And knowing Clay he'd grow it to national syndication and be back on top in no time. Don't mind me, just thinking with my fingers.

I agree with you about the type of show. I can see him having a talk show but getting to sing with his guests on some days. Similar to the Charlotte Church show in England. I used to envision a late night show, where instead of having a monologue he starts with a song. Then he can also have a bit of comedy talking to the audience or talking to Quiana and Angela ...or going to talk to the man on the street or something...then interviews of guests. I think it will be cool if he can sing with some of the guests and not just the singers...but maybe the actors and even politicians.

The other show I envision is pretty much like the Donahue show...where there is a topic to talk about and he lets the audience interacts, but I would hope he would have one day a week where it will be about the music.

But basically I do think he wants to be able to talk with his guests, to discuss important topics...or just get to know people. I don;t think he really is into creating skits like the Carol Burnett show.

I kind of envision Clay doing a talk show and maybe not performing - which would be a shame. I mean maybe the occasional song but I've always thought the focus would be talking! I WISH WISH WISH some day he would stand-in for Kimmel during Jimmy's vacation or something. That would be hysterical.

Belle - my neighbor and I talked about volunteering at the local animal shelter but decided we'd end up with a menagerie at our houses. I couldn't bear to see an animal scheduled to die the next day if not adopted. I like the idea of a "no kill" shelter but, unfortunately, our county doesn't do that. Good for you though......

Well FCA, good night. Verra verra tired and need to hit the pillow.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Thanks for the loverly discussions. I'm so glad so many of you like TRM. It's also the song I wait for on the CD. I sincerely hope this becomes a Clay classic.....

Canadian Idol: Is this screened in the USA at the same time as Canada? A friend has sent me a link to download the top 24.

Claytonic, just adding to the begging to make your quotes a little larger, please, so that we can actually read them!

....and, more's the pity.....Canadian Idol is not seen at ANY time in the US.

Which I think is a shame, because it looks like it's going to be very good this year. I believe our goldarngirl is capping and vaulting, though, if someone wants it.

It's not just the performances that make it better; to my mind...it's like AI SHOULD be.

When this started a few weeks ago, I offered on CV and here to put the eps up, if anyone wanted to watch it. Since I didn't get a response I assumed no one was interested. This can still be done if people would like to watch. I thought I might create another youtube account and put up the eps. There are about 8 sections to each ep so far. Results shows will probably be less to begin with

This will take a bit of work, but I'm willing to do it if people would like to watch. This year they have a top 24 more guys than girls and allowed auditions over the internet (just some of the things that are different)

If Clay had a late night talk show I could totally see him doing skits such as Carson did with Art Fern and Carnac and some of those characters. Clay could feel free to recreate the Guard scene from Spamalot ANY time for me. And the next night he could go to Camelot, or ride an imaginary horse. I also can see him interested in a Donahue-type show too. Hopefully, if he gets the show he wants he'll be able to do serious and funny, and sing too. I have a feeling it would be original, a type of show that nobody but Clay could do.

Couldn't leave the Tom Hanks discussion without throwing in. I'm not a fan of any actor so much that I'd go see a movie because they were in it. Nobody. (see correction below)

I'm not sure why I select the movies I do, because I usually go to the movies on impulse and see whatever I"m in the mood for. The night I saw Forrest Gump was a bad night for me. I was pissed, totally pissed and got in my car to drive around. I ended up at the cinema and Forrest Gump was opening that night and I'd never heard of it. But I definitely didn't want to see any of those other movies, so I bought a ticket and sat in the theater alone, not having a clue what to expect. I left that theater totally charmed and aglow. I had laughed, I had cried, and it touched my heart. It was a modern day fairy tale, but to this day when I think about him standing under that tree, and the way he said, "Jenny, he's so smart," I break down like a baby.

But I think it was the music that made that movie for me. Somehow, it's always the music.

Hmmm, on second thought, I guess I am a fan of Johnny Depp.

TRM -

This is probably the most played song on the CD for me, it is one I repeat and I love to sing along with it. I too, love the way the song builds and believe Clay displays a beautiful vulnerability in his interpretation of the song. I like that it is a song that could represent a different relationship to each listener.

If Clay were to one day have his own television show. I could see a show in the old mold of the Mike Douglas or Merv Griffin Shows. They both were performers and performed fairly regularly on their show. They were both "nice guy" types I don't remember mean humor from either of them. They were good interviewers too.

I think he wants to record and tour -- but I think he also wants to talk -- on TV. He is such a natural ON talk shows, it makes sense for him to host one. I remember when Mo Rocco asked him what he'd do if he weren't singing and Clay said it would be hard for him to go back to the classroom. If ever worse came to worst for Clay, and the recording industry was lying in destruction and people couldn't afford to buy tickets to concerts, you can bet Clay Aiken would have a talk show somewhere, even if on local TV in Raleigh, and he'd love every minute of it. And knowing Clay he'd grow it to national syndication and be back on top in no time. Don't mind me, just thinking with my fingers.

keepingfaith...I'm with you, babe! I truly think that Clay is the master lemonade maker; actually, he's more than that because I don't think he considers the lemonade he makes to be a substitute or 'less-than' situation. I really think he embraces whatever he's doing in the moment, even if it wasn't what he originally set out to do or thought would be the best course.

And then, of course, whatever it is...he gives it his 500% and slays women along the way. :Thud:

*Stumbles into FCA with bleary eyes*

Hey, ya chatty FCA peeps! I'm soooo sorry I haven't been here for all of the great album discussion in the last few days. I would have loved to talk with ya'll about OMWH and LAA, but have been working a lot and not feeling all that well.

Anyway, we're talking about TRM now. What a GORGEOUS song! Clay sings it so beautifully. His vocals are relaxed, and his tone quality is beautiful.

I went back to find my post waaaay back when we only had the snippets, and found what I posted about TRM:

I've been listening to a few snippets this afternoon. I love the more uptempo songs, but the one I keep wanting to listen to over and over is The Real Me. OMG, Clay's singing is just heartbreakingly gorgeous on that clip! Especially on the chorus, where he sings:

But you see the real me

Hiding in my skin, broken from within

Reveal me completely

I'm loosening my grasp ...

His voice is amazingly tender and beautiful in this section. He caresses the notes, and slides from one note to the next effortlessly. The part that's the most beautiful for me is the part I bolded above. He goes into falsetto for those words (he's singing F sharp - G sharp each time). His tone quality is clear and full, and he gets a lot of resonance. It's really hard to sing that well softly, but he manages to do it! For me, the result is heartbreakingly gorgeous. I want to listen to that part over and over and over. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole song, and to hearing if he changes the way he sings the chorus as he proceeds through the song.

Using that vocal technique really conveys the lyrics. For me it conveys a vulnerability and brokenness, but yet an underlying strength and willingness to be honest. Of course, that's what the song is about. I've always been drawn to Clay's authenticity, and I think it's really cool that he has a song about being 'real' on this album.

I'm happy to say that I still love this song after hearing the whole thing. And he DOES change up the chorus. He sings it with more intensity and volume the second time around, and the instrumentation supports the intensity with more complexity and volume.

'Shadows of (?) shadowed dreams' is the beginning of the bridge, and the bridge ends with the long 'belieeeeeeve.' The last chorus starts right after that long 'belieeeeeve,' and starts out very quietly and tenderly. After a few phrases both Clay and the band suddenly get louder. It's almost as if he's triumphantly exulting in the joy of being completely revealed, accepted and loved, just as he is!

It's cool that this song doesn't resolve at the end. It ends on a B chord, and it's in the key of E major, so it ends on the dominant rather than the tonic.

jmh, was it you that asked about the keys of the songs on OMWH? I didn't comment on LAA and OMWH, but I can at least tell you that LAA and OMWH are both in the key of Eb major.

gbmifan, I'm sooooo happy for your test results!!! YAY!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be having an MRI of my lumbar spine on Thursday evening after working all day. Maybe that will be good - I'll be too tired to fidget after being at work all day! Anyway, I don't think they'll find much on the MRI. I think the cause of my sciatica is piriformis syndrome rather than a lumbar spine issue. Piriformis syndrome is an impingement of the sciatic nerve by a tight or scarred piriformis muscle. I'm working with a physical therapist and doing some stretching exercises to see if we can reduce my pain level.

Anyway, enough of that. I'd rather talk about this gorgeous hunk!

clay-aiken-iphone-01.jpg

If Clay were to one day have his own television show. I could see a show in the old mold of the Mike Douglas or Merv Griffith Shows. They both were performers and performed fairly regularly on their show. They were both "nice guy" types I don't remember mean humor from either of them. They were good interviewers too.

OMG, I'll never forget when John and Yoko cohosted for an entire week with Mike Douglas.

And Merv Griffin was the best interviewer ever. He had so much enthusiasm for whatever his guests were talking about. He didn't seem to be working as much as he seemed to be enjoying himself. Celebrities didn't go on that show because they were promoting a movie or a book, but because Merv invited interesting conversationalists and humorists, or fascinating eccentrics who in most cases were authors or playwrights, and he had a musical guest every day. Yep. Merv Griffin was an excellent talk show host.

Merv Griffin was an excellent talk show host.

Yes, he was....AND an excellent judge of talent. I'll never forget how PROUD I felt when he was on Ryan Seashit's show and talked about Clay having one of those unique voices and then listed people like Streisand, for God's sake, as examples! He "GOT" Clay...and I remember thinking, "SHIT! Merv, go get him! Be a business mentor to this extraordinary young man and help him realize his potential!"

Merv Griffin was an uber-savvy media mogul...yet he always seemed to "keep it real", you know?

Speaking of 'real'....

The Real Me

At first I really HATED the way Clay's voice sounded in the very beginning...it's still my least favorite part of the song (well, except maybe for those sweeping strings that make me think of waves crashing against the shore, etc. :rolleyes:)...I understand why he intros the song like that, though, and I applaud his willingness to be that vulnerable with his sound.

I can nod my head with all the possible "but what does it MEAN?" interpretations y'all have suggested. Devotional/religious, romantic, platonic soul connections, familial love---they all 'fit'. And depending on my mood at the time, I allow myself to consider them all. :cryingwlaughter:

Whatever the words mean to Clay, though, it's a testament to his vocal and interpretive skill and talent, IMO, that he CAN create so many ways to live the words. I truly love this song (but would enjoy it without the melodramatic string surges, too :lilredani: ) and when it happens among my shuffled songs, I always repeat it at least once before going on.

I also agree about the choice of the word "frailty". Perfect. To me, that word has always suggested a dynamic state---a temporary limitation, but always with the potential to be understood, empathized with and even overcome because it's such a universally human condition. Clay's voice sounds 'frail', certainly, at times, yet it's never weak.

He truly is a song stylist. I love him and his voice.

merrieee, I've never been totally fond of the Snowflake pictures myself. He looks good...but his appearance a few nights later at the AMA's (do I have the timing right?) made me totally forget Snowflake. The hair at the AMA's look perfect that night. And that suit? Swoon.

Wow. I’m just the opposite. I didn’t think he looked that great at the AMAs, in fact I always wonder what people see in those photos. Snowflake photos on the other hand are my idea of near perfection. Gorgeous.

I was reading in another place that several people stated that the reason he has lost 3/4 of his fan base is because he has not progressed as a artist. What the hell do they want. I love this CD, maybe I am easy, but his voice is the best I have ever heard him. I like uptempo sounds but I do not need rocker Clay. I just need him to sing great songs and well, which he does.

Another reason they stated is that he changed since A1 and has become rude and a big diva. My thought is that he is five years older, and some change will occur. He stills has the same values he had then, and I am sorry but I do not see the Diva. His behavior as far as I see is always appropriate to the event. If he gets testy once in awhile maybe there is a reason.

If people want to leave that is their option, but to continue to spout over and over how he has disappointed them gets very tiring. End of my Rant.

OMG that is so ridiculous! Would Clay have been able to do Spamalot 5 years ago? He has grown enormously, and not just as an artist; blind Freddie can see that.

As for being rude and a diva, my goodness, he’s been exemplary in the control he has exercised in the face of numerous situations where he was subject to some of the most appalling gossip and innuendo. There is only so much a human being can be expected to endure when his character is being chipped away by low-lifers who obviously thrive on bringing down others to further their own agenda. From all accounts, Clay is enormously liked and respected by his peers. That speaks volumes in terms of refuting any accusations of diva behavior.

When I first saw this I’m not sure I commented. But what comes to my mind when I read the words “rude” and “diva” applied to Clay is a resentment from some fans that he has pretty much cut off access to himself the way they would like it. They want him accessible to them, for a variety of reasons, and when he doesn’t allow that, and wants boundaries, he becomes “rude” and a “diva”. It’s petty bitchiness, IMO. I think we’ve seen this for YEARS starting way back at Hockeygate – they believe they have paid well for full access to Clay and how dare he keep parts of himself (literally and figuratively) private?

Word. I think all the shipping or non-shipping based on what we’ve “seen” is very tenuous and consists of no real “evidence” one way or the other (hell, it's fun and I'll play - but with the acknowledgement that it's JUST fun). We just don’t see enough of Clay’s life for us to make any rational judgments on anything…other than that he sings good. <g> People can hide things easily if motivated. Clay doesn’t really get the attention from paparazzi that some do, so who the hell knows who he is or isn’t doing in his down time. For all we know he could be married to Jaymes. For all we know Jaymes could be pregnant by someone else and Clay is schtupping Jamie or Hannah or god knows who else. I have a knee jerk reaction to definitive statements one way or the other, and this is why – to think we really know one way or the other is rather…just kind of deluded. We only "see" a minute part of his life.