#37: Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.

Thread Title Poll  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man just oooooooooozes awwwwwness.
    • He is so sexay when he's following his Passion!!!
    • He looks really, really, really good while exuding all that good stuff.
    • One hawt hunk of packin' perfection!
    • He's a man of character and integrity and talent.
    • Kurei Eikun? I LOVE that guy!
    • Sometimes Clay is just the sex, YKWIM??

ausdon... Sewell was infamous for a couple of reasons. In that concert tour, they had local children's choirs and local high school choirs sing backup for Clay. One of each. At each one, the kids were asked not to take pictures of Clay before the concert, but could take them after. At Sewell, one of the kids (don't remember which age, but think HS) didn't follow the rules and their camera was taken away. Then, the choir directors overbooked the choir and they didn't have a chance to get lunch/dinner. So, since McDonalds was a sponsor of the tour, Clay sent out for food for them (was not his responsibility). Some of the kids (HS) grumped about the stingyness of the food. Then some teacher got ticked off about either the food or the picture/camera incident and screamed at Clay (he walked away) and wrote to someone about how horrible the experience was and Clay was and the teacher who received the email publicized it and was repremanded by the school board and she was actually a Teacher of the Year. Then someone said that the envelope that contained the donation that Clay made to each school was empty and he was cheating the schools. It was not a great experience. Needless to say, that is the last tour the Clay made use of public school choirs.

Feel free to correct my memories, anyone... it's been awhile.

liney23, that's how I remembered it. Was there and it was a wonderful show. I don't know who was responsible for feeding the kids, but had heard that a local McD could not handle the order quickly and a second had to be contacted, thus holding up progress on their dinner.

The show was wonderful, but some of the high school kids had an "attitude" because their choir director had them booked at other shows and on tv in the NY area and they thought they were "hot stuff." The director was also trying to build a reputation for himself with this show, and wanted the choir to sing more than backup because of their "credentials."

The story about the show was very negative for Clay. Media ran with it because they finally had a negative story about Clay. Fans went crazy contacting media and responding to internet stories. But, Clay remained silent on the issue. Typically, he chose not to address the situation at the time. Many months later, he spoke about it in the context of a totally different subject and just used it as a comparison against another experience or something like that.

This is my own opinion based on nothing.
BWAH!, Iseeme! This CMSU!. In many instances this could be the siggie of so very many posters on internet message board. But it would be actually TRUE! At the least it could be a new thing like CMSU or ITA...

TIMOOBON! :cryingwlaughter:

The story about the show was very negative for Clay. Media ran with it because they finally had a negative story about Clay. Fans went crazy contacting media and responding to internet stories. But, Clay remained silent on the issue. Typically, he chose not to address the situation at the time. Many months later, he spoke about it in the context of a totally different subject and just used it as a comparison against another experience or something like that.

clayzedover, this struck me because he's done this again and again---ignored the 'stories' when they have their airtime and then later referred to them only as an example of how the media does its disservice when it 'looks' for controversy and if it's not there, they create it. He's done that re: the sexuality question in general and he did it specifically re: the JP crap when he talked about OMWH and the 'things he'd rather not have happened" etc. Smart man. More grown up than I am, fo' sho'.

Have today off but am not feeling so good about that because I woke up so very aware of all the things at work that are due/past due and the very few days left in which to do them. :unsure: I leave Sat. for my next conference and OMG!

:scream:

Does anyone know if there were any non-US ATDW or OMWH CD's?

I have a Japanese ATDW. Will try to remember to scan it soon.

Not only that, Madden got a woman pregnant and didn't marry her, and she's Nicole Richie, not exactly role model material from some points of view. Gee, what were they thinking? Perhaps that he has a history of activism, a good heart, and a connection to a dedicated group of fans; that he is interesting to a certain demographic, and has a desire to make a difference?

I don't feel it has mattered for quite a while now whether the parents are married or not, it only matters that they are good parents. I feel that Nicole Ritchie has very different priorities now that she is a mother. For similar reasons, it doesn't make any difference in my mind whether or not Clay's child's parents are married. I know too many dysfunctional people whose parents followed social traditions to the book.

Sometimes sarcasm is not my friend. The lines I bolded are my point. The previous lines were to intended to set up my point.

Regardless of Good Charlotte's sales record lately - they can still play in largish venues and the place is clogged with young'uns. I know this for a fact dear ones because I had a step granddaughter who hasn't missed an appearance anywhere within a 300 mile radius of where she lives in the past 6 years. They are considered "cool" by the younger set and I doubt seriously that the lack of marraige is making a bit of difference in how people view the Madden/Richie hookup. The baby is adorable and spread all over the magazines and the success story is how Nicole has cleaned up!!! And she's been forgiven. So - look for Madden to bring in money from a segment of the population that heretofore has not been interested. I would bet that was the purpose in appointing him an Ambassador. On that note, however, he doesn't strike me as one who will be reading up on the country and trying to understand their culture like someone else we know. But - I could be surprised. I'm surprised in here every day!

You will be surprised, I think. Madden would not have been chosen were that not his intention. He is a intelligent and compassionate young man. I've been a fan of Good Charlotte's humanitarianism for a long time, although their music hasn't captured my interest. I agree about the demographic, the cool factor--that was the point of my post (see above).

I think that Clay continues to be as capable of calling attention to UNICEF's work as Madden or any of the other ambassadors, regardless of the decline in his record sales.

liney23 and clayzedover, thanks for explaining what happened re Sewell. This is the first I have heard about it; I love how Clay always maintains an immediate dignified silence when a direct response would simply fuel the media fire. Clay could even have an additional career - presenting at seminars for young, rising stars of the future, especially the ones who experience overnight fame as a result of massive exposure from talent shows on television.

Sewell. Eek. Having nightmares. In hindsight it's child's play but it prepared me for everything that was to come. Yeah in an offhand way, Clay just said it was all blown out of proportion. No details. And tha'ts what I always felt about Sewell. Never thought he was an angel and thought "something" happened that day- just thought the way it was reported was way over the top. And then that Philly paper tried their best to keep it alive.

And to show how worry and stress and making oneself sick is counter productive to life..this is my gate and it wore me out. My main concern was that children were involved in the story and that would somehow affect his ability to do his charity thing with kids. Was he a UNICEF Ambassador thien . I can't remember I thought I was thinking that would get snatched away or maybe my fears were all about TBAF..don't even remember now. Guess that was part of that 95% of crap you worry about that never happens.

Cotton...first of all, I do not smut. hee And second..what does that sign mean..you actually think I took in the Chinese lesson from yesterday? :hysterical:

Regardless of Good Charlotte's sales record lately - they can still play in largish venues and the place is clogged with young'uns. I know this for a fact dear ones because I had a step granddaughter who hasn't missed an appearance anywhere within a 300 mile radius of where she lives in the past 6 years. They are considered "cool" by the younger set and I doubt seriously that the lack of marraige is making a bit of difference in how people view the Madden/Richie hookup. The baby is adorable and spread all over the magazines and the success story is how Nicole has cleaned up!!! And she's been forgiven. So - look for Madden to bring in money from a segment of the population that heretofore has not been interested. I would bet that was the purpose in appointing him an Ambassador. On that note, however, he doesn't strike me as one who will be reading up on the country and trying to understand their culture like someone else we know. But - I could be surprised. I'm surprised in here every day!

I think her point is that Good Charlotte's career is also not at its peak right now and yet they chose him to be an ambassador. Its just that it seems that you are suggesting that if Clay does not put his career first then he may not be as effective as a spokesperson. I say Clay has reached a point in his career that he will always be recognizable. He has established himself as a recording star and a personality...when you look at the other ambassadors in their roster you don;t see the big superstars there anyway.

Business is business KAndre - it's still all about the bottom line no matter what field you're in! Simple fact. I don't know of any company, corporation, business, store front, kiosk or pushcart that isn't about money and the making of it. So however it's twisted to make a point, it's still the bottom line that matters!

Oh I;m pretty sure KAndre knows about the bottom line. But bottom line is not just about sales....its about return for your investment. If you have an artist that can sell 150K without spending too much on getting a radio hit...or videos...or other sales promo...then they will still have a healthy bottom line. But if you have an artist that relies on radio hits and heavy promo to sell...then you really want to sell more and maybe 150K would be a disappointment.

Also..we do not know what the acceptable bottom line is when the industry is in such trouble. Someone already said that at this point in the year only a small percent of artist sold platinum...way down compared to what it was last year. So whose to say that RCA considers 150K tanking. I remember that someone asked an RCA rep during the CD signing about what RCA's expectations were...she quipped that they would be happy with 15K. Now I bet she was just exaggerating...but the point is...they have pretty low expectations at this point because sales are WAAAAAY down overall.

Yeah we want him to sell a lot. But there really is no formula for it. The people that are selling are very very different from Clay. Even Buble and Groban are very different in musical styles. Its not what he is doing that is the problem its that he is not quite in line with whats popular nowadays...So since I love Clay just as he is...I am resigned to the situation that his sales won't be in the same category as Timberlake and Mayer. He is more a niche artist now and so my expectations are much lower.

I don't necessarily see him as a niche artist because I do think his songs can fit on AC or even hot AC. But since apparantly Clay and radio don't go together (and I know we've had that discussion many times), then it becomes about having the music heard in other ways. And it's easy to say -oh his songs should be on tv shows and movies and he should be promoting on TV nonstop but making that happen is another story. There is a lot of competition for those relatively few spots. I personally feel Clay needs to piggyback on a duet with some radio darling to get his break , or some avenue will lead to it like a tv show or some watershed movie that you can't plan. It could also happen organically with any one of his songs. A lot of times the way things happen is just pure good fortune. In the meantime, I'll enjoy as is and look forward to the next thing. I'll worry about Clay when he's homesless or something and haven't been seen for a year or so and maybe not even then because I have this silly faith in him that he will always rebound and that I will always get to hear the man sing. And I can't believe I'm sitting here when I need to be at work. Have a good day ya'll.

Cotton, heee I ahve to run to work so will do it later if one of the other admins haven't.

Just got this quote from RealSimple.

It made me Oh My God right out loud!

Real Simple

July 07, 2008

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

— Plato

ETA:

Couchie! :)

Yep to what Ansa said - except I would say even in the most capitalistic society ever - it's never only about the bottom line. It's why everyone doesn't just run to the job that pays the most money, or buy the cheapest item. Adam Smith will only take you so far.

As for Good Charlotte's being considered "cool" by the younger set - it's only a set of the younger set - shoot, "Good Charlotte haters" has it's own entry in the urban dictionary.

kf, man, you're taking me back - hell, even I thought the theater was a titch warm!

Cotton, cotton, cotton - are you under the mistaken impression that our admins are whatchamacallit - organized? HA!

I really shouldn't be here...I've got twenty gazillion things to do this week, but at the "overwhelmed" point so I end up here just to ease my mind a bit.

This is from a few pages back, from dear liney...

When you love someone, one of your fears is of losing that loved one. So much of the angst of the fandom is for that very reason. Could we lose Clay... yes. Are we likely to... no! He's too ambitious and too talented. Especially now that he's had a successful run on Broadway that he enjoyed the heck out of. He'll fight to maintain his career so he gets more chances to do fun things. I kinda think he likes getting the chance to do stuff he didn't even dream of before AI and he'll do whatever he can to keep all those options open. And, IMO, he's not done with this cd yet, I'm sure of it!

Word, word, a thousand times word. Of course, this isn't true for everyone in the fandom, but yet...there is a palpable fear in some that I personally can read in some posting styles. (How's that for a terrible sentence?)

I too feel I'm a realist -- and therefore realize that Clay simply could decide that a show business career isn't for him. I'm prepared for that -- and I think my husband will be glad to have me off the computer as much. *g* Having said this though...I certainly don't think there's a chance in h-e-doublehockeysticks that this will happen. He'll continue to do what he wants to do until he feels it's unfullfilling. He's actually quite lucky in this regard -- most of us are stuck in jobs that aren't all that fulfilling, and IMO Clay's got the freedom to do what he wants in show business, enjoy what he's doing, shed light on some situations that need it (via UNICEF and BAF), oh, and make money in the process.

kf -- it may have been hot as Hades in that theater, but I think Clay had a lot to do with the heat generated at Tulsa.

Have I mentioned that I touched arm fur that night? 'cause I did. And then...a week later...he didn't have arm fur. Hee.

It won't be long before Timberlake and Mayer are yesterday's news too. That's the mixed blessings of being the flavor of the month -- you sell like hotcakes until the next flavor comes along. The trick is to have something more, and it helps to have a ready made fanbase to move along with you into the world of adult contemporary, jazz, r&b, or whatever.

Country is another ballgame completely. When I was falling hard for the Eagles in Desperado days I was the only person in my social group who listened to them at all, because they were "too country" for my friends - while to me Desperado was more Americana than country. To this day Desperado is my favorite Eagles album ever with songs like Tequila Sunrise, Doolin' Dalton, Outlaw Man, Desperado, and the brilliant Bitter Creek, and it's my favorite because I think they actually peaked musically and harmonically on this one. Note: There was a lot of peaking going on in those days! Goodness I loved Joe Walsh with the James Gang, and his solo stuff -- still love Rocky Mountain Way. But the Eagles haven't really been the Real Eagles to me since about '75. Anyway, my POINT to all this is that the album Desperado peaked on the charts at #41 back in 1973. It was probably the Eagles' worst performing original album, sales wise, of all time, but in my estimation the very best thing they ever did. I'm still listening after 35 years. The Eagles had a SMASH with Hotel California and it was on the charts for a decade or better, but it never tripped my trigger (although I am a huge fan of The Last Resort). I jumped from pre-1976 Eagles to loving the solo work of Don Henley (Dirty Laundry anyone?) and Glenn Frey -- yeah, I belong to the city.

Clay's albums, any of them, don't have to sell the most to be the most rewarding, it's what you love that matters.

It won't be long before Timberlake and Mayer are yesterday's news too. That's the mixed blessings of being the flavor of the month -- you sell like hotcakes until the next flavor comes along. The trick is to have something more, and it helps to have a ready made fanbase to move along with you into the world of adult contemporary, jazz, r&b, or whatever.

Country is another ballgame completely. When I was falling hard for the Eagles in Desperado days I was the only person in my social group who listened to them at all, because they were "too country" for my friends - while to me Desperado was more Americana than country. To this day Desperado is my favorite Eagles album ever with songs like Tequila Sunrise, Doolin' Dalton, Outlaw Man, Desperado, and the brilliant Bitter Creek, and it's my favorite because I think they actually peaked musically and harmonically on this one. Note: There was a lot of peaking going on in those days! Goodness I loved Joe Walsh with the James Gang, and his solo stuff -- still love Rocky Mountain Way. But the Eagles haven't really been the Real Eagles to me since about '75. Anyway, my POINT to all this is that the album Desperado peaked on the charts at #41 back in 1973. It was probably the Eagles' worst performing original album, sales wise, of all time, but in my estimation the very best thing they ever did. I'm still listening after 35 years. The Eagles had a SMASH with Hotel California and it was on the charts for a decade or better, but it never tripped my trigger (although I am a huge fan of The Last Resort). I jumped from pre-1976 Eagles to loving the solo work of Don Henley (Dirty Laundry anyone?) and Glenn Frey -- yeah, I belong to the city.

Clay's albums, any of them, don't have to sell the most to be the most rewarding, it's what you love that matters.

Yeay! Music talk! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Love the Eagles, have always loved the Eagles, never liked Hotel California. I remember one night I was rehearsing with the guy who was playing guitar for my gigs at a local bar...we gave that song a try but both of us were falling asleep before we got to the chorus! :cryingwlaughter: And YES! to Desperado, the album. (Love Ronstadt's version of the song...that was one of my songs as a lounge singer, too. heh.) Adore Dirty Laundry (except the kind I have to wash here at home)

And know who I heard on the radio this morning while cruising to get a latte? Jackson Browne. I love him. Saw him in concert in the 70s with Orleans opening for him. Then the main guy from Orleans stayed on to play with JB in his set...very cool. Love Jackson's voice--nothing amazing in a pure vocal talent way, but it has soul and I love most of his lyrics. Where's he these days? (serious question there)

I get a real kick out of the fact that when Alex connects her iPod to the car system and puts it on shuffle, there are a helluva lot of songs that show up from MY generation's collection---classic bands and songs from decades of yore. (Of course, she doesn't have any Clay songs, but maybe HER kids' music lists will! ;) )

WORD KF...that is why I am not really worried about Clay cos his style is more timeless classic pop. It may not be in step with current fads but its good music and I think that will be timeless. And he also has a lot more going for him than just the singing.

I think the reason why I think he is a niche artist at this point is that he has such a distinct style that does not really fit mainstream top 40. It fits right in with Adult contemporary....As we can see with other AC artists...they can get big hits as well. I totally agree that a lot of that is good fortune...or timing....Perfect example is Buble's Home. He wasn't a big seller until he had this big radio hit. Its a song that can easily be a Clay Aiken song. So who knows...maybe Clay's Home is in OMWH... that is why I choose not to say its dead in the water when only one single was released to radio. The fact that OMWH did better in spins than his previous singles is very good cos that means progress. His foot is getting in a bit more and maybe that door is more open for the next single.

I really don't know how RCA sees Clay right now. Its possible he is in a bubble to get dropped...he could be pretty secure...we really don't know because we do not know what their expectations were for Clay. I am in the wait and see car. Not stressing about it cos I think Clay will always have an audience. He will always have people willing to travel to see him. He also has a lotmore in his arsenal of talents so lots of potential there.

I have a DIL who made it clear to me two years ago that Clay was not her thing, it was more than that – she couldn’t stand him. She worshipped and adored John Mayer and his music above anything and anyone. She listened to him in the car, in her room, on the computer, and she saw him at the Rodeo, at Cynthia Woods Mitchell, and in Austin, wherever he would be in this area. She never said anything expressly ugly to me about Clay, just turned up her nose and made it clear to me that he was “no John Mayer.” I let her be, and made sure I never mentioned Clay in her presence, or played his music when she was in my car, it was like that part of my life wasn't available to her. So, THERE!

Fast forward to 2008. John Mayer doesn’t seem to be doing it for her anymore, at least not like before because I don't hear her playing his music. I still haven’t made one move to get her to listen when any of Clay's albums have come out -- ATDW, AIW or OMWH -- but she really can’t escape the residual effects in the house. She studies on the other side of the wall from my computer speakers. So far this year …

”Hey Sandy, you’re going to New York to see Clay? Wow, I wish I could go.”

She comes into my room, “Hey Sandy, I saw Clay Aiken on Tyra this morning. Tyra really likes him. She gave away tickets to that show he’s in.” (Note: she always watches The Tyra Banks Show.)

“Hey Sandy, what’s that Clay Aiken song you play that goes “Down, down, down”? I like that, can I put it on my iPod?

“Hey Sandy, did you know Clay was on Rachael Ray today?”

“Hey Sandy, I’m on the graduation committee and need to come up with a class song for graduation in August (nursing school). Will you help me find something?” Me: “Sure.” But I do nothing and make her ask me again a couple of days later. Then I burn It’s in Every One of Us and give her the CD. Later, “Hey, Sandy, that song is perfect. Can you download the words so I can take the CD and lyrics with me to the meeting this week?” Me: “No problem."

See, in my world, you piss me off and you just may not get to hear Clay sing to you. DIL is slowing getting Clay privileges restored.

Ahhh, Eagles talk! I floved the Eagles!! Not so much anymore. But Desperado, On The Border & One of These Nights...yea, good times, good memories, good music & friends! ahhhh

Of course I was only 3 at the time ;)

I like Clay to be going only up up up

I just wanted to summarize Couchie's post.

Cotton...first of all, I do not smut

Then allow me. I would be more than happy to meet him halfway, going down down down :whistling-1:

I finally started to like John Mayer a bit. I was resistant because he was hyped so much, and because 'Daughters' sucked. I really like his Continuum album, so much I actually bought it on iTunes. I'd like to see him be able to make that inevitable transition from Big Deal to career artist, and I think if he does, his music will probably improve as a result, although his sales may not.

Kurei Eikun? I LOVE that guy!

:)

Thread title?

:)

My Chinese speaking friend says that we're sorta OK with the characters, but that the word for love is a really strong one, implying intense and unswerving devotion, so maybe not appropriate for Clay's rear end. She suggests we use 我爱上克雷的屁股 instead, which means "I fell in love with Clay's butt." She loves the CD cover. They translated "Measure of a Man" as "True Love Measure". It's smutty either way.