#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

It's pretty quiet in here, so I thought I'd post a link to a long profile of Neil Patrick Harris in New York Magazine. It's an interesting take, I think, on how NPH has come into his own as a gay man, and as an actor who is out in Hollywood - still a pretty rare thing. I shouldn't project too much, but I can't help wondering how much NPH's experiences along the way parallel Clay's. Neil talks about how his time onstage like this:

When the show was canceled in 1993, Harris went through a period of retreat. He made some lightweight but lucrative TV movies; then, at 25, he appeared in the L.A. company of Rent, an experience he found liberating. “This gypsy world of people who are just so appreciative of each other’s individuality!” Harris says, grinning at the memory, his arms held wide. “Where some people are super-gay and have girlfriends or boyfriends for twenty years, and others swing both ways—or are straight and have a wife but they’re okay with gay men giving them foot massages and don’t freak out. And you’re singing about that: no day but today, and there’s only us and there’s only this, and don’t regret.”

The audience became a mirror for his own struggles. “You can see young couples, old-guy couples, clutching each other, openly sobbing,” he tells me. “And you’re singing at them, to them, sobbing too. It’s very cathartic. And it certainly put to rest my weird personal concerns, because there’s a much bigger picture.”

We'll never know unless Clay tells us, but it makes me curious about how much his Spam Fam helped him with his process of coming out publicly.

I do not know the answer either but for whatever caused it, I am grateful. I love the glow that envelops Clay now.

It's pretty quiet in here, so I thought I'd post a link to a long profile of Neil Patrick Harris in New York Magazine.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I liked this quote, regarding NPH's magic hobby:

An obsession with magic requires a particular personality type: the nerd extrovert.

Scarlett, yep, Swayze was born in Houston, from wiki:

Patrick Swayze was born on August 18, 1952 in Houston, Texas, the eldest child of Patricia "Patsy" Karnes (born 1927), a choreographer, dance instructor, and dancer, and Jesse Wayne Swayze (1925-1982), an engineering drafter.[7] He had two younger brothers, actor Don and Sean Kyle (born 1962), and two sisters, Vicky Lynn (1949-1994) and Bambi, who were adopted into the family.[8] Although the surname "Swayze" is of Welsh origin, the family is of mainly Irish descent (possibly with some Apache roots).[9]

Until the age of 20, Swayze lived in the Oak Forest neighborhood of Houston, where he attended St. Rose of Lima Catholic School, Oak Forest Elementary School,[10] Black Middle School,[10][11] and Waltrip High School.[10] During this time, he also pursued multiple artistic and athletic skills, such as ice skating, classical ballet, and acting in school plays. He studied gymnastics at nearby San Jacinto College for two years.

In 1972, he moved to New York City to complete his formal dance training at the Harkness Ballet and Joffrey ballet schools.

It's pretty quiet in here, so I thought I'd post a link to a long profile of Neil Patrick Harris in New York Magazine. It's an interesting take, I think, on how NPH has come into his own as a gay man, and as an actor who is out in Hollywood - still a pretty rare thing. I shouldn't project too much, but I can't help wondering how much NPH's experiences along the way parallel Clay's. Neil talks about how his time onstage like this:

When the show was canceled in 1993, Harris went through a period of retreat. He made some lightweight but lucrative TV movies; then, at 25, he appeared in the L.A. company of Rent, an experience he found liberating. "This gypsy world of people who are just so appreciative of each other's individuality!" Harris says, grinning at the memory, his arms held wide. "Where some people are super-gay and have girlfriends or boyfriends for twenty years, and others swing both ways—or are straight and have a wife but they're okay with gay men giving them foot massages and don't freak out. And you're singing about that: no day but today, and there's only us and there's only this, and don't regret."

The audience became a mirror for his own struggles. "You can see young couples, old-guy couples, clutching each other, openly sobbing," he tells me. "And you're singing at them, to them, sobbing too. It's very cathartic. And it certainly put to rest my weird personal concerns, because there's a much bigger picture."

We'll never know unless Clay tells us, but it makes me curious about how much his Spam Fam helped him with his process of coming out publicly.

I do not know the answer either but for whatever caused it, I am grateful. I love the glow that envelopes Clay now.

IMO his Spam family probably helped him in the process. Totally different being around this family than living in Raleigh surrounded by Southern Baptists. I am happy that he can finally be himself without fear of being "outed" by people who had no business doing it. He looks so happy now, and that makes me happy.

I doubt that we will ever really know because Clay is a private person, but that is OK. All that matters is that he can live his life to the fullest now! JMO

Who knows, maybe one day Clay will open up, write about it if he thinks it will help someone who is in that position.

Can't believe how light-headed I am since ended up staying overnight at workand not yet sleeping since Saturday night. That Clay Aiken sure is worth it,though!!! (and a whole lot more!!!111!!!) I'd like to get my work done before tix to whatever he's planning go on sale

:Iluvclaysbutt:

ETA: I'm all thumbs today. Does that give us a connection?

:GE_FCA:

I've been home for the past day with a bad, bad cold, and will be home again today. You know, Nyquil is NASTY stuff...

Yesterday's photo tourney poll was a very close one, but the winning picture, I think, always had a lead. Here is your winner:

TyraCap2.jpg

bottlecap, I'm sorry. Please don't kill me, as I'm only the messenger.

Here is your tourney photos for today. With these choices, we're halfway through the top 32!

Back to bed for me...

Thanks for the memories... godspeed.

I think he was born here was he not? -- K? kf? Desertrose?

Yes he was. His mother was my best friend's dancing teacher. They lived in Woodforest -- in the North Shore area. I think he went to San Jacinto College too. I know his mom, Patsy Swayze taught dancing/choreography at San Jac. A very sad loss. RIP Patrick.

Until the age of 20, Swayze lived in the Oak Forest neighborhood of Houston, where he attended St. Rose of Lima Catholic School, Oak Forest Elementary School,[10] Black Middle School,[10][11] and Waltrip High School.[10] During this time, he also pursued multiple artistic and athletic skills, such as ice skating, classical ballet, and acting in school plays. He studied gymnastics at nearby San Jacinto College for two years.

Oh goodness, I did a year at Oak Forest after moving from The Heights. Wonder if he was there then, or at St. Rose of Lima? My mother told me he grew up in Woodforest ... obviously she had it confused with OAK Forest.

{{{ldyj}}} :thbighug-1: and sleep deprived {{{Scarlett}}} :thbighug-1:

Found these over at Conclayve:

From CV via CH

This dated Sunday

QUOTE ("ncsupack88 at CV")I have it from third hand info that Clay was spotted at The Color Purple in Greensboro Sunday night. Fantasia is starring in the traveling show. From what I understand a male mentioned the sighting so details are limited but he did say he was wearing cargo shorts and sandals so that kinda verifies it for me! Again, that's ALL I know! And forgive me if this is old news!

I'm kind of surprised they hired her after all the shows she missed in NY.

QUOTE ("lindylo at CV")From an interview with Tyra from "The Advocate". She sure loves our guy

http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Entertain...e/Woman_on_Top/

QUOTE Any behind-the-scenes scoop on the New York awards ceremony?

Before the show kicked off, I hung out backstage with my good friend Clay Aiken, who presented me with the award. He's such a funny guy, and he loves making fun of me, so it was great to catch up.

Found these over at Conclayve:

From CV via CH

This dated Sunday

QUOTE ("ncsupack88 at CV")I have it from third hand info that Clay was spotted at The Color Purple in Greensboro Sunday night. Fantasia is starring in the traveling show. From what I understand a male mentioned the sighting so details are limited but he did say he was wearing cargo shorts and sandals so that kinda verifies it for me! Again, that's ALL I know! And forgive me if this is old news!

I'm kind of surprised they hired her after all the shows she missed in NY.

QUOTE ("lindylo at CV")From an interview with Tyra from "The Advocate". She sure loves our guy

http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Entertain...e/Woman_on_Top/

QUOTE Any behind-the-scenes scoop on the New York awards ceremony?

Before the show kicked off, I hung out backstage with my good friend Clay Aiken, who presented me with the award. He's such a funny guy, and he loves making fun of me, so it was great to catch up.

justclay... thanks for bringing this over.

I am jellus of Tyra being able to hang with Clay and get made fun of... :cryingwlaughter: I'd let Clay make fun of me anytime.... oh, wait.... I think he has made fun of me... just not from close range. Dang! :cryingwlaughter:

Oh cool, Fantasia back in Color Purple. I hope it travels to this area. She got raves and would love to see her.

Speaking of Tyra -- I turned my tv on today and her show was on. I don't watch her show normally but did stop today cuz K-Lo was on it. The topic was about being bi racial. It was kind of sad to see some of those people with no self pride or esteem. I hope they take some of Kim's words to heart. That's always an interesting topic to me since my family is a rainbow coalition. Tyra does love her some clay.

ETA: They're advertising Fanny in L.A. next February. I'd love to go but way too far in advance to plan.

i wish that show was coming by me!

not surprised at all that they wanted Fantasia back. The Color Purple website defended her absences. She had to have throat surgery right after her run on Broadway. She wasn't sure she would loose her voice. She was very lucky (she said some nights after shows her throat was bleeding).

I believe the article about that is in Sister Sister magazine.

Good Morning Everyone,

31 Days until The National Inclusion Project's Champion's Gala!

:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim