#27: Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!

Couch Tomato

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly
    • He goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway.
    • What is it about Clay? Damned if I know.
    • Good Lord, is that man cute.
    • Sir Aiken - a triumph in SPAMalot!
    • He's a triumph in the show.
    • The man's a joy magnet!
    • Reach into that golden grab bag!
    • His smile just lights up everything.

- still waiting to hear back from my music biz insider peeps -

Are you now? :cryingwlaughter:

IMO the review/notsomuchareview thing is probably fairly common. I know some think it's just Clay. It's not and it never was. In many ways I'm glad I was born cynical taught to question everything. These things just don't ever surprise me.

---

Oh boy. I haven't been on top for days ages. I'm underoverwhelmed....

eta....this post brought to you by the strikethrough

****Sniff**** Scarlett doesn't love us any more! She posted her recap at CV and not here! :cry4:

Hope Clay is feeling better. I cannot imagine what would happen if he had to miss a show! I would pity the poor understudy!

I want to go see Spamalot again and SOON! I keep looking for tickets, but its hard to find good seats when you can only go on a weekend. Which reminds me, for those who have sat in the mezzanine - if you had a choice of orchestra, pretty far back and on the side or maybe 5th row center mezzanine, which would you take?

Have a good weekend everyone!

< - - - -

hee

The chick's gone!

I knew she was dorky, but she was the only chick I could find!

Dang Boondocks!!!

So - I'm off later to our SPAMSLAM with my basket of bears, my SPAM dish, (why do I think everyone's going to need to go out for burgers after our lunch??!! :cryingwlaughter: ), my portable DVD player and Monty Python and the Holy Grail + some Clay DVD's.

Should be fun - the sun is starting to come out so I'm hoping for a walk on the beach as well!

Any news of BF this am???

Catching up...

RunningFree...

There were some young girls in front of me and one of them got all excited at Lancelot coming out scene, and she said she wants a gay guy of her own. The boy who was with them wasn't thrilled.

My 16 yr old DGS asked me once why the girls liked gay guys so much... I laughed and told him it was because they were not threatening. So, I laughed out loud at this part of her recap! :cryingwlaughter:

As I saw the Google alert I sat here saying "Please, please, please, let it be good." And it was!!!

I am so happy right now I want to dance!

merrieeee... no, no... it's "I want to sing!" :cryingwlaughter:

But - I'm having trouble anticipating letting them go!!!

How bad is that?!

th_IMG_3330.jpg th_IMG_3337.jpg

Cotton... those are seriously adorable! I don't blame you for not wanting to let them go. Those would be a great seller right now... jest sayin'

I think the "I've got a brother who's a guard" was added purely as a nod to Brett...but just because the role of Prince Herbert's guard existed before this line was added doesn't mean (IMO) that him being Robin's brother is an impossibility, at least temporarily, while Clay is in the role. After all, they do look a lot alike, eh? I never thought the first guard was Robin because they seem to have a different flavor to them...I'd have to go back and look, but I don't the "swallow" scene and the "bring out your dead" scene was as connected in the movie....and don't think the characters were at all the same. Plus, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for Robin to say he has a brother who is a guard if he himself is also a guard already. Is he also related to Brother Maynard? heh I just think they are three/four separate roles and I am trying too hard to find connections where maybe there aren't any. Just as all the original Monty Python people played different roles throughout the movie without seeming to make an effort to make their roles connected/logical in any way. One scene a peasant trying to burn a witch, the next a knight...

The AP review? I'm in heaven. Please, please, please, let this be a great year for Clay Aiken. He so deserves better treatment in the media. Please. LOVE the review. Did I mention I loved the review? Particularly since the person who said he was doing great is actually a "somebody" instead of some unknown pettish person at EW.

I'm also delighted to hear that Mike Nichols is taking such a personal interest in Clay's growth in the role, if that is actually true. I hope it is. I liked Hannah's early comment about him taking direction very well (or extremely well, can't remember). I just thought at the time it was an excellent sign. ;)

00lsee... Word to a lot of what you said... however, I read a bio of Sir Robin, I think from the Spamalot site, that says that Robin is a night watchman and a gatherer of the dead. That made sense cause that would be why Guard 1 is never mentioned in the parts Clay plays... cause it is Robin.

I agree that Clay will not be touring the week after Spamalot... promoing most likely! Course if the cd is pushed back a few weeks, I wonder if he would extend his run... nah, probably not.

I got home from my seminar last night and eeeeee'd like crazy over that fantastic review... from an honest to goodness theatre critic! Soooo kewl!!!

Skybar... happy belated birthday!!! Hope it was a good one!

CD Release party... I went to the Hollywood Virgin Megastore one last time and it was a complete bust for me... not a real party, just get in line and buy the cd, tho I did get my bracelets for the signing. I found out later that people who knew about it were at the restaurant across the street partying.... I just didn't know about it and thought, now this sure isn't much of a party. :cryingwlaughter:

Now the cd signing and Kimmel... I went to both and it was a total blast of a day! It was so good to see him again! Got to watch rehearsals through the fence and went awww when they were sitting on the couch to the side of the stage and he put his head on Quina's shoulder for a moment!

Funny, I could have sworn I heard that that Virgin store went out of business. Guess not! But, no party for me this time... I'll just get it that morning after a good night's sleep. Course that could change if he does a signing again!

jmh123

I'm pretty sure she's already seen the Gala tapes--she's asking about the performances for the auction winners--the two guys who paid the half a million apiece.

Lotus, I think it is possible that no one in Claydom heard about the recitals when they happened, as they were probably for small groups of close friends or associates of the auction winners.

Ah, thanks for the clarification...sorry about that, Lotus! Still, it was fun going back and watching that auction again. Clay is so ding-dang yummy. :)

liney

I read a bio of Sir Robin, I think from the Spamalot site, that says that Robin is a night watchman and a gatherer of the dead. That made sense cause that would be why Guard 1 is never mentioned in the parts Clay plays... cause it is Robin.

Oh, I see. Right. (tm Prince Herbert's guard)

Cheeky.gif

liney

I read a bio of Sir Robin, I think from the Spamalot site, that says that Robin is a night watchman and a gatherer of the dead. That made sense cause that would be why Guard 1 is never mentioned in the parts Clay plays... cause it is Robin.

I still don't think so...didn;t clay say something about using different types of accent from the guards and Robin. Besides...Robin wanted to join the Knights in Camelot...he wouldn't be acting so blase and uncaring if he actually met King Arthur the way the tower guard was in the first scene. Just two very very different characters IMO.

I guess i don't know why any of the characters need to be connected at all...the characters that the other main actors play are not connected so why should they do that for Robin.

Cotton

So - I'm off later to our SPAMSLAM with my basket of bears, my SPAM dish, (why do I think everyone's going to need to go out for burgers after our lunch??!! :cryingwlaughter: ), my portable DVD player and Monty Python and the Holy Grail + some Clay DVD's.

Should be fun - the sun is starting to come out so I'm hoping for a walk on the beach as well!

It's sunny? You're going for a walk on the beach with your bears? Is it nice and warm where you live? Sigh...I am sick of winter.

Hope you have a fun time at your SPAMSLAM.

OOlsee No problelm. I always hoped that at least one of the 2 who bought the grand pianos would do as David Foster suggested and have a concert and recoup some of the money they spent, which is a hell of a lot even with tax deductions.

Did DHP do the missed handshake thing? Every time someone reports on that, I can't help thinking of Ripa and her stupid comment, and imagining he is poking at her.

One of the things I like about Spamalot is there so many instances where you wonder if they meant this or that or was it deliberate or not. There is one line, I think in the Camelot scene, where they sing they are "not just idol bums with royal mums". Now I think that really has to be a dig at Prince Charles but then again I may be being a little bit silly (hee).

As I listen to the original Spamlot soundtrack I keep hearing little things like that and I realise more and more how well written and smart it is.

Couldn't that be Idle (eric like) bums? I don't think they are talking about idol bums like Simon C.

Oops missed Cotton and her bears. I was going to suggest printing the rubber chickens, instead of using a plastic chicken little.

I forgot last night the knights that say Ni had a new name - they were " I will always love yooooouuuooouu Crack is whack!" The name is shorter than usual.

I am not going to count shows anymore. Too many angry people out there.

Did anyone report that there is a magnet now for $10. I bet it is not on line yet, will go and check.

It's sunny and relatively warm, compared to the temps we've been having (-4 Celsius as compared to temps as low as -30 Celsius in the past couple of weeks)! I took the dog for a walk in the park with my new iPod and had a blast. I'm ripping my library of CDs into iTunes since I now have mega gigabytes to fill! 2 weeks until I go to NYC and see that critically acclaimed Clay Aiken & cast in Spamalot. EEEEEEEEEE! Things are looking up.

liney

I still don't think so...didn;t clay say something about using different types of accent from the guards and Robin. Besides...Robin wanted to join the Knights in Camelot...he wouldn't be acting so blase and uncaring if he actually met King Arthur the way the tower guard was in the first scene. Just two very very different characters IMO.

I guess i don't know why any of the characters need to be connected at all...the characters that the other main actors play are not connected so why should they do that for Robin.

I've wondered about this since I first saw the show, actually. Clay plays the guard blase, yet when he's down collecting the dead it's like he's thought about it and decided he would go join Arthur after all. It fits quite nicely, in my book - how does random dead collecting dude hear about joining the "army" in Camelot anyway, if not for Arthur when he came and spoke to tower guard? It's not like they had the net. <g> And if there was some other way to hear about it, Arthur wouldn't need to go traveling all over collecting men.

As for the accent - Galahad changes his accent because, as he says, he's a knight now. I saw the accent change as the exact same thing for Robin. Clay also plays two other characters that *aren't* connected, IMO, but that doesn't mean that the tower guard is NOT Robin.

Okay - I just looked at the Spamalot Book that I bought at the show - for Robin it says: "Robin Clegg. Night Watchman and Dead Collector"

Hee - I can't believe I didn't read this more before. For Lancelot it says:

Formerly: Lance Cockburn

Ex-Occupation: Trainee Sewage Attendant (umm)

Dislikes: people who get in his way.

Dreams of opening a fabric shop.

Robins whole bio reads:

Occupation: Knight of the Round Table and Viscious Chicken Slayer

Formerly: Robin Clegg. Night watchman and Dead Collector

Hobbies: Musical theater, piano and laundry (BWAH)

Dislikes: Horrid Fighting

Hopes to establish off-Broadway Dinner Theater in Medieval England

Good Morning Everyone,

28 Days until Spring! (waves to jazzgirl)

<snip>

Kim

Hee!!!!! :cryingwlaughter: Thanks, Kim, for adding SPRING to your countdown. This has truly seemed to me to be the endless winter, so a countdown to spring is much appreciated. I know the Canadians have been hit hard, but here in Chicagoland, it has been one of the snowiest winters ever (not huge snowfalls, just frequent ones) and some brutal temps.

What I have also been curious about, is if anything ever happened to the possible Donald Trump booking of Clay that aired on the Insider over a year ago. I don't remember reading if the gig ever came to fruition, but it did make a grand TV segment even if nothing came of it.

ETA:

Hopes to establish off-Broadway Dinner Theater in Medieval England
Funny! So is the name "Clegg". Maybe a soothsayer wrote the program and foresaw who would be playing Sir Robin?

Good morning, FCA! :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'm sitting at a coffee shop this morning, enjoying the free WiFi and my latte. For some reason our internet connection went kablooey last night at home. This is bad news. It means that I'll not be able to distract myself from housecleaning and tax preparation and whatnot with you guys and Clay.

Unacceptable.

I'm still :Boss: over the AP review....the more I read it, the more I think it's truly high praise indeed. Clay must be happy with it since I think it's exactly the kind of praise he appreciates---measured and thoughtful, keeping things in perspective. He IS a wonderful ensemble player in this production. It's NOT his show, as he very specifically told us in the beginning, and he's respectful of the other cast members' talent, just as this reviewer is. What a great tribute to him and the show!

And I LOVE that the 'reviews' we've read (other than those from fans) from people who have a clue--Broadway.com and AP---are reflective of reality and not stinking of bias and unprofessionalism. Consider the source, indeed. :clap:

I'm just :yess: and :yahoo: for Clay. He soooooo deserves good stuff---

and since I'm happily married, I guess he'll have to find it elsewhere.

heh.

I'm still reading the program I bought a month and a half ago and I just found this:

Not Yet Dead Fred

Formerly: Alive

Currently: Not yet dead.

Dislikes: Plague. Going on the cart.

Hopes to become a singer and meet Simon Cowell.

It appears the Idol references preceeded Clay. <g> I think Not Dead Fred becomes Sir Robin's minstrel - and sings the song about Robin getting beaten up and soiling himself.

I'm still reading the program I bought a month and a half ago and I just found this:

Not Yet Dead Fred

It appears the Idol references preceeded Clay. <g> I think Not Dead Fred becomes Sir Robin's minstrel - and sings the song about Robin getting beaten up and soiling himself.

Hee! And towards the end of the Not Yet Dead number, he actually sings, looking toward Robin 'I'll be your musician, cuz I'm not yet dead!'. I always figured that was Fred. The idea that the tower guard is actually a night watchman (and Robin) does fit. On the Spam website it lists his role(s) as Guard 1, Robin and Brother Maynard. So if 'Guard 1' is drunken guard guy, then it would follow that the first guy isn't a guard at all, but a night watchman and therefore, Robin. The guy in the tower is a fairly signifigant part, so you'd think they would list it if he was a 'separate' person. Hmmmm. I mean, they list 'Sir Not Appearing in this Play' and he says exactly one word.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Not Yet Dead Fred

Those bios are funny...i think he does...cos isn't there is a line in the song not dead yet that goes...

I am coming too,

My name will be Sir Fred

I'll be your musician

Cos I'm not yet dead

However...I still don't think the guard and Robin are the same...Robin lives near Camelot since he can go there by six. The castle the king encounters is in Mersia which is far from Camelot since the king said he has been riding through the snows of winter to get there. Also the other guard is played by the same actor as Lancelot...and yet they are not connected, why would robin and the guard be the same. In the DHP version the guard's accent sounded more cockney and not the same as how Robin the dead collector sounded. Robin may be a night watchman but does not mean thats the same as a tower guard.

I find this discussion really funny since i don't think we are supposed to think of this sooooo deeply...hee

eta: I think they do not list two guards cos he is guard 1 on both scenes...not that he is supposed to be the same guard but he is always the first guard spoken to.

I find this discussion really funny since i don't think we are supposed to think of this sooooo deeply...hee

Next, let us ponder the deeper significance of the wooden rabbit...What does it really mean? Are we all rabeets inside? And why was there no chocolate?

Next, let us ponder the deeper significance of the wooden rabbit...What does it really mean? Are we all rabeets inside? And why was there no chocolate?

BWah!!!! :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter: :cryingwlaughter:

It is interesting to watch the movie...cos that really has no story line at all...he just gathered the knights and was sent to find the grail. It was really weird seeing the lines being delivered in the context of the film. In the end...i think I love how they adapted it to a musical and adding lots of snark on the musical theater...

btw...I found this review of spamalot and the original cast by the same AP reviewer Michael Kuchwara at the CH:

Review of original cast

I've been sitting here chuckling all day, too, at y'alls in depth dissection of Clay's parts. I mean, his roles. In Spamalot. It never even occurred to me to wonder...I just enjoy them all. His roles, that is. :28: Well.....and his parts.

Those bios are just too funny! If you have time, could you post some of the others?

I've been sitting here chuckling all day, too, at y'alls in depth dissection of Clay's parts. I mean, his roles. In Spamalot. It never even occurred to me to wonder...I just enjoy them all. His roles, that is. :28: Well.....and his parts.

Those bios are just too funny! If you have time, could you post some of the others?

I still believe the tower guard is Robin because of his occupation in his bio - Night watchman. Not that it matters. <g>

Other bios - Galahad gets TWO pages, a before and an after.

The Before: Denis

Dislikes: People who automatically treat you as an inferior.

Believes strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

The After: Sir Galahad

Formerly: Dennis Galahad, Mud Collector

Likes: having his hair done. Boat rides with soggy trollops.

Dislikes: Working class oiks who complain about his accent (Heidi: read Patsy <g>)

Currently: Working on a CD

Hopes to meet the Tooth Fairy.

Lady of the Lake

Currently: The Lady of the Lake

Formerly: A hairdresser from New Jersey

Dislikes: To meet a queen who makes her feel like a man.

Issues: Ecology and Anger Management

Enjoys romantic boat rides with handsome young men, love songs and lounge acts.

Arthur

Hates: Horses

Dislikes the Dark Ages, especially at night.

Patsy

Current Job: As a horse.

Parents: Father won the Preakness in '05

Dislikes: eating oats.

Formerly: A donkey to Nobby the Cretin.

Hopes: to win the Derby.

Is Lance(lot) the other guard in the tower at the beginning? Is that why Robin and Lance are friends?

I don't see why not. I find it rather coincidental that Clay is a tower guard and then comes out on the same side of the stage for the "bring out yer dead" scene and Rick is the other tower guard who comes out on the same side of the stage as his tower pulling a not dead guy and the two characters are friends. It works for me. Dear god, I can't wait to see this show again. It just so great.

And Clay has never, IMO, looked better in his life than he does when he pops out the stage door. I can't help dissecting the show because I'm obsessed with it and re-obsessed with Clay. No strikeouts for me - I'm just obsessed. <g>

Stagedoor Report:

Clay is sick, he is continuing to do his part.

No Stage door, none all weekend.

BellyAiken says you couldn't tell by looking at him. Jerome said he is taking care of himself