#33: Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"

FCA Thread Title  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• So, how about that Clay Aiken?
    • The guy is just endlessly fascinating, isn't he?
    • Artificial insemination, well at least we know he had a hand in it.
    • If you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?
    • I'm happy to let Clay do whatever he wants.
    • I have ears and a brain and a heart, and I like what OMWH does to them.
    • Magical Mercurial Music Maker!
    • Clay--still the one.
    • In general, his voice just DOES something good to me. It makes things seem...better, somehow.

I am going to call it a night; hubby has left for work, so I am going to go snuggle in bed, pop some clack into the DVD player and enjoy me some Clay.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to FCA and to ashleysgram whom I see down there; hope you hang out for a bit here, sweetie!

See all you lovely ladies in the morning!

Kim

There are too many funny and intelligent posts here to quote them all. Suffice it to say that I love all of you, and I love being at FCA!

I just got back from a shopping trip with my 13-year old daughter, and was playing OMWH in the van. She spontaneously said, "I love that song!" when Falling started playing. This is from a girl who considers herself quite cool, and listens to rock music all of the time. Yay!! I'll have to agree with her - I love Falling, even more than Ashes.

I'm single and would rather get another cat than have to take care of a man again!

Same here.

And I really really don't like cats. :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH! But the thing is, if you find a good man, he won't need taking care of, and he might just end up doing a lot of niiiice things for you! Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of guys around like that. I think several lucky girls on our board have guys like that, though, including me. Yeah, I love Mr. Gibby! :)

:lipstick:

Claygasm You are never alone; I like Ashes but I don't love it and I think there are much better songs on the CD and honestly don't know why the fandom is pushing this song so much to be the next single.

I'm with you guys. I mean, I like the song, but nothing in my superior, musically trained ear :cryingwlaughter: screams "HIT SINGLE!" But what do I know? I thought "Lonely No More" should have been released for ADTW and he didn't even bother to sing it for me in concert! :cry4:

Your teeth can bother you when your sinuses are acting up. As Cotton also mentioned, pressure in the cheeks. I always feel it in my teeth and around my eyes - cheeks & eyebrow areas. At this point, I've given up on the usual allergy meds. The only things I've found that seem to help are Benedryl & Advil. If all else fails, just blame Clive - he seems to have had a hand in all the major world problems. Why not add sinus troubles to the list?!

Yup, it's all Clive's fault!

Seriously, I always know when I have a sinus infection because it feels like I need to have a tooth pulled. The maxillary sinus is really close to the teeth, so the teeth are very painful when the maxillary sinus is infected.

Sometimes I think Clay's dedication on this album was to say here it is, what you all wanted and now I am done! (I don't really think that, but it has crossed my mind). What is that line from TRM? How much will they take before I'm empty?. There are times when I hear it that I feel a bit guilty. There are times I think he is referring to this fandom.

Are other fandoms like this? Do others scrutinize every aspect of their favorite's career? Don't most fandoms just enjoy the gifts they are given? Why does this one always have to be in a state of angst and worry and always be so critical of everything in Clay's professional life?? Just this half year alone look at all we have been given. Spamalot, this wonderful CD, lots of clack, those wonderful AOL sessions we were eeeeeeing about just last night. Even with the blond hair and eyeliner, our Clay cup has runneth over these first months of the year.

Truly, how much more can we take from him before he's empty????

Interesting thoughts, CG. Clay's words make it very clear, for those who will listen to them!

I heard Sacrificial Love come up in my playlist while I was working out last night, and it made me think a bit about the fandom. Think about these words sung to fans:

'You tell me you're here forever, but act like you're passing through. Which one's the real you? Are you only practicin' until you find the real thing? Takin' up space, until you find yourself that perfect face. Are you lookin' over my shoulder? Am I enough, or just your Sacrificial Love?'

I think that Clay will never be enough for some people, because he's not who they want him to be.

CG, I like your rant too -- it's frustrating isn't it? The only think I can say is that I do think other fandoms are like this -- Star Trek fans are NOTORIOUS for picking apart the films and the shows. The difference? Clay's a real person, not a Klingon.

Time for bed...hoping that I dream about Clay in a Starfleet Uniform. You know, those tight one-piece lycra things. Where nothing was left to the imagination. Heh.

Oooh, a Starfleet uniform sounds like great fun! You're right - not much is left to the imagination!

Iseeme, you mentioned that the clouds descended on your mountain recently. That happened while we were in the Colorado mountains this last weekend, and I took a few pictures. I hope you all will indulge me while I share a few of the pics I took of the mist (clickable):

th_52608thornlake3.jpg

th_52608thornlakeinmist.jpg

th_52608aspeninmist.jpg

th_52608forestinmist.jpg

And Happy Birthday to OOlsee!!!

:7254:

Ok, I admit it I like Ashes quite a bit, however I've never once said it should have been the first single, I just don't think that is my call. I have been trying to give equal love to all of the videos at AOL. I'm not sure if these things help or not, but I'd rather use my enery giving the songs some hits just in case it does.

Ohhhh Gibby - the third one down.....that's what the trees looked like off my back deck! It was very ethereal.

Welcome Canfly.

helooooo.jpg

It's Oolsee's birthday?

Well, have a happy one.

thHappy-Birthday-1.jpg

From CV, a wonderful interview with a non-PC Clay.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ent.../350642/1/.html

Confessions of former idol Clay Aiken

By TODAY | Posted: 29 May 2008 1053 hrs

Clay Aiken

He’s had four Top 5 albums on the Billboard charts, but Clay Aiken still can’t shake off his days as the geek on American Idol.

“I think to some extent in the United States, you don’t really shed that Idol tag,” he said over the phone from Los Angeles.

“It’s such a huge show that you can’t escape it.

“But I got here being myself on American Idol, and I try my best on continuing to be here based on being myself,” he added.

“If you want to be good at what you do, you can’t slack off. You have to continue to try to do better. Anybody who assumes I’m here only because of Idol is wrong.”

Aiken’s latest album, On My Way Here, confirms that sentiment. Most of the songs, he said, are about “becoming and discovering yourself”, and learning life lessons rather than lessons “from a book in school”.

It’s something that the Raleigh, North Carolina, native has first-hand experience of.

“I never wanted to be a singer,” he admitted. “I wanted to be a teacher. So all this kind of happened as a blessing — to be able to take my hobby and turn it into my job. All the experiences, luck and blessings have come because we’ve been open to a lot of things.”

Still, he’s quick to point out that fame does have its drawbacks.

“Like I was out the other day with my friends just wanting to get some dinner, and we had paparazzi following us the whole time — that’s a pain in the butt,” he said, sighing. “It’s part of the job. I think you just have to learn to deal with it.”

“It” includes rumours that the 29-year-old singer has had plastic surgery and is actually gay but afraid to admit it.

“That’s what’s so great about America,” he said, laughing. “One of our valuable amendments to the Constitution — freedom of the press — is also one of the crappiest. You can write anything you want. You don’t need to have any proof or any truth to what you write.”

Lucky for Aiken, besides the surgery and gay rumours, he’s not exactly exciting tabloid fodder.

“I stole a car one time. At 15, you can drive as long as a parent is with you but one day, they were out, so I took the car out for drive by myself. That’s probably the most rebellious thing I’ve done.”

Yup, Clay Aiken stole his parent’s car when he was 15. Doesn’t exactly scream magazine sales.

“Nobody’s ever the same person everyday, but for the most part, I think I’m pretty nice and easy to get along with. But my manager will probably say that’s crap.”

Still, he does have a snippy side. “Last night, I was watching one of the way-too-many music awards shows we have and the live performances were almost unbearable to listen to. I think people just don’t realise how bad they are. It was really awful. People were off-key, and it was a ... mess.”

Has Aiken turned into a Simon Cowell? “No, but it was really hard to listen to. I was telling my friend: ‘Oh my god, if I were ever that bad, please promise to tell me.’ I hope I’m never that bad.” - TODAY/sh

On My Way Here is available at all CD shops.

I just can't go on (insert Edward Gorey figure here) argh!

Does anyone have a knife? I have two wrists that need slitting!!!!!! I mean there is no reason left to live now Clay has fallen so far!!

Oh wait I just listened to Scarlett Johannsen's song..OMG bad doesn't even cover it! I think I will have to live on to listen to Clay !

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

AOL Sessions just started yesterday and already the death knell is sounding for the cd?

Um, yeah. :cryingwlaughter: And even though Sessions is real purdy. And getting lots of hits. But it didn't increase last weeks sales. :cry4: Oh wait....

RANT TERRITORY AHEAD!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Ok, its been what, one month since the single OMWH was released to radio. Right?

IF I READ ONE MORE TIME IF ASHES, EIDN OF FALLING HAD BEEN THE SINGLE CLAY AND IF RCA WEREN'T SUCH A BUNCH OF INCOMPETENTS OUT TO RUIN CLAY'S CAREER HE WOULD HAVE BEEN KING OF THE MUSIC WORLD I MAY HAVE TO HURT SOMEONE!!!!!!

Lovely rant, CG.

I think probably other fandoms are kind of like this, I'm afraid. The AI thing breeds competitiveness, which, apparently, never slackens.

If we want any of the other songs to get played on radio...if we want this CD to continue to sell steadily....

WE HAVE TO GET BEHIND THE CURRENT SINGLE!!!!

all the hair pulling, finger pointing, and blaming is getting everyone no where really.

If fans need to do that to feel better...just get it done then lets just do things to help. If not..just let it go already...

:word:

00lsee, :bday2:

“That’s what’s so great about America,” he said, laughing. “One of our valuable amendments to the Constitution — freedom of the press — is also one of the crappiest. You can write anything you want. You don’t need to have any proof or any truth to what you write.”

Thank God he can still laugh about it!

This place is such a sanity check.

Good grief, it's been pretty bad out there tonight. All because HDD's projection was wrong, which caused a pretty big slide on the charts and an even bigger slide on the boards.

Pointing fingers, blaming others never works. For whatever reason, Clay found it important to get the CD finished and dropped on May 6th. I know it was before Mothers Day, and was taking advantage of free publicity from the end of Idol and the end of Spamalot. But, somehow, I just don't believe those are the only reasons. He said during an interview that even if he missed the projected date, he wanted the CD out "before the summer." He's supposed to have a UNICEF trip coming up, then "nothing" until the Fall, and even that was "iffy?" That seems so unlike Clay. He has the Gala coming up in mid October. Which would conflict with a Fall tour, wouldn't it?

Lots of questions, I know, but there are just no answers right now. Just have a feeling that he's got something else to do, and not ready to tell us ...

Talking about checking sanity, I did read there will be maintenance on OFC taking place at the end of the month for about four hours. Not sure what that's about, but I can't help thinking Clique has been given orders to get that blog made private ASAP. At least that's my hope....well, better they just redo the thing in its entirety, but that's another story....

Been chatting with some friends through email and doing some serious thinking.

I think there is prejudice out there toward Clay and I honestly think it has nothing to do with his music. All the chit chat (or is that shit shat) about which single should have been put out first, etc. etc. that it should be uptempo and yada! yada! I'm sorry but I don't see where all radio songs have to be uptempo. Like I said to my friends - "two words: Michael Buble!" And OH WAIT - he sings almost nothing but covers and that's seems to be okay. And he doesn't even sing them as well as I think Clay sings! So why does he get a free pass and Clay doesn't? Because, IMO, it goes back to the prejudice. Somehow, someway, the littledick music critics decided Clay was a joke. I don't think it would have mattered which single he put out - the fix was in! He was dead in the water before he was even out of the chute. I don't know if it was the tabloids, Clay's self-deprecation in interviews, or what - but I do think there is prejudice to the extreme. When I read him described as elfin, geeky, dorky, funny looking, goofy etc. etc. it makes me sick - but it also makes me think that he's considered a joke and some don't take him seriously. He's not geeky, dorky, funny looking - in fact, he's a good looking young man! And none of that has anything to do with his singing.

I don't know what's going on. I don't know if there's a plan. I THINK there's a plan. But this whole CD release and promo stuff has been strange. The timing. The two weeks and then nothing. The horrible, really horrible things that have been said about him in the reviews - "the worst album ever!" and the personal comments that had nothing to do with his music or the CD.

Here we have one of the nicest guys in the entertainment business and no matter what he does there's too many that are ready to put a negative spin on it and disclaim him.

I'm frustrated. Not discouraged. Just frustrated.

But I don't think his career is over - not by a long shot!!! It's just going to take longer than it should.

And on that note - good night! Thank you for FCA. Thank you.

OOlsee, a very Happy Birthday to you! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:7254:

Oh man...I'm kind of glad I was babysitting GD today and away from the boards. I did sneak in earlier but didn't get to read much. Criminy...poor Clay is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

ITA with so much that was written here today. I'm so sick and tired of people who have somehow magically gotten into Clay's head and speak for him regarding his career. I just wish I could slap the shit out of some people. :mallet:

ETA...Iseeme, I do agree that there is a preconcieved bias against Clay. I absolutely do not think his career is over...no way in hell.

clayzedover

He has the Gala coming up in mid October. Which would conflict with a Fall tour, wouldn't it?
I think that Clay took a few days out of his tour last summer...was it for the wedding of a friend (I'm having a senior moment and cannot remember the reason) and wasn't it almost a week so he could still tour and do the Gala.

I am so glad that I haven't been spending hours on the boards today. I cannot stand all the worry going on about this CD which has been out for just 22 days. I wish these same people could put their energies into something constructive and that the anxious mummies out there could just stop worrying about something they can do very little about except to not act in such a way that even more people are put off by the obnoxious behaviour of some Clay fans.

I love the AOL sessions and went back to view again the sessions from MOAM where I note that he didn't move around either.

Oh dear, poor Scarlett, why did she make this CD?

I like Hannah....mostly because she likes Clay....but also because she's extremely talented herself....and seems pretty down to earth as near as anyone can tell.

I guess today was a good day to come home from work and fall asleep on the sofa. I woke up at midnight and now I'm working.

CG, yeah Clay's blog fell on deaf ear and it's sad really. I think it was you or Ansa that said yeah rant about it but then let's get over it and put the energy behind the CURRENT single.

Anyway, enough about that..cuz we're on to my favorite subject. I must say that my Hannah love has nothing to do with Clay. That woman is so mad talented..she had me in awe. I went to Spam to see Clay; but every time I walked out of there, yes I had the warm fuzzies about Clay being so impressive but also about Hannah's immense talent. I don't know if that's the perfect role for her or if other things she does would excite me as much...guess I should google or you tube or whatever it is we do these days! I did order the Broadway Cares DVD. Anybody else? I haven't gotten yet but can't wait to see the duet again.

Back to work and the midight repeat of the game I missed.

This place is such a sanity check.

Good grief, it's been pretty bad out there tonight. All because HDD's projection was wrong, which caused a pretty big slide on the charts and an even bigger slide on the boards.

So, I guess it's a good thing that the hell that I call work has trumped everything else in my life this week, and kept me off the boards? :cryingwlaughter: Reading all your rants this morning, I am glad I haven't even peeked in a couple of days. No plans to do so now, either.

Pointing fingers, blaming others never works. For whatever reason, Clay found it important to get the CD finished and dropped on May 6th. I know it was before Mothers Day, and was taking advantage of free publicity from the end of Idol and the end of Spamalot. But, somehow, I just don't believe those are the only reasons. He said during an interview that even if he missed the projected date, he wanted the CD out "before the summer." He's supposed to have a UNICEF trip coming up, then "nothing" until the Fall, and even that was "iffy?" That seems so unlike Clay. He has the Gala coming up in mid October. Which would conflict with a Fall tour, wouldn't it?

Lots of questions, I know, but there are just no answers right now. Just have a feeling that he's got something else to do, and not ready to tell us ...

I've never really believed in the mythical "fall tour". Clay's never said there was going to be one, it's just been pieced together by fans who want it. Of course, I'd love a fall tour. But here we are, almost into June, and no word yet, while most venues are already selling tickets to tours into December. So I'm not going to be disappointed if we find out there won't be an OMWH tour until spring, and I sure won't be blaming Clay for getting our hopes up and then dashing them, since he didn't. Heh.

Have I said WORK SUCKS lately? Yesterday, the visiting 'big boss' from NB basically told me that the responsibilites that my job entails are the 'biggest problem' in the company president's mind. WTF? And then told me that I had to cover for another lady when she goes on holidays........okay fine, except she apparently has planned for a week's holiday in October. You know, right around when the BAF gala is scheduled? :cry4: Yeah, I'm trying to get that sorted out. You can jerk me around all you want, big boss, but don't even think about cutting into my Clay time! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the lovely 00lsee!

clayzedover
He has the Gala coming up in mid October. Which would conflict with a Fall tour, wouldn't it?

I think that Clay took a few days out of his tour last summer...was it for the wedding of a friend (I'm having a senior moment and cannot remember the reason) and wasn't it almost a week so he could still tour and do the Gala.

I remember it was the wedding of a friend as well. I think it was just a week or two into the tour.

I did order the Broadway Cares DVD. Anybody else? I haven't gotten yet but can't wait to see the duet again.

I ordered it Couchie. The site said they wouldn't be shipping until this week, so should be coming soon.

That is probably my favorite Clay duet of all time. Hannah and Clay's voices were just perfect.

OOlsee :00003653: hope it's fun!

Is it too late to wish OOlsee a belated :00003653: ?? Too bad, I'm doing it anyway!

I'm a person who LOVES a good rant, and since I pretty much agree with everything that's been said by everyone on this board since last evening, I'll just say :da_best: Although I was really hoping that some people on other boards would get publicly thrown up against the wall last night- and not in a sexual way! :bananasign:

LOVE the Clay interview printed out above- so , what music awards show do we think he was watching? The only recent one I remember was the Country music one, but not being a fan, I didn't watch- have no idea if the performances stunk! :cryingwlaughter:

And may I just add that I also LOVE snippy Clay!!! One of the first things I saw that really kind of turned me on about him were his "jaded journalist" interviews. The "What's up Buddy" one made me all kinds of hot!! :hubbahubba:

Since this post appears to be brought to you by the word LOVE, I'll just sign off with this:

I LOVE CLAY AIKEN!!!!! :flirtysmile3::needclay:

Been chatting with some friends through email and doing some serious thinking.

I think there is prejudice out there toward Clay and I honestly think it has nothing to do with his music. All the chit chat (or is that shit shat) about which single should have been put out first, etc. etc. that it should be uptempo and yada! yada! I'm sorry but I don't see where all radio songs have to be uptempo. Like I said to my friends - "two words: Michael Buble!" And OH WAIT - he sings almost nothing but covers and that's seems to be okay. And he doesn't even sing them as well as I think Clay sings! So why does he get a free pass and Clay doesn't? Because, IMO, it goes back to the prejudice. Somehow, someway, the littledick music critics decided Clay was a joke. I don't think it would have mattered which single he put out - the fix was in! He was dead in the water before he was even out of the chute. I don't know if it was the tabloids, Clay's self-deprecation in interviews, or what - but I do think there is prejudice to the extreme. When I read him described as elfin, geeky, dorky, funny looking, goofy etc. etc. it makes me sick - but it also makes me think that he's considered a joke and some don't take him seriously. He's not geeky, dorky, funny looking - in fact, he's a good looking young man! And none of that has anything to do with his singing.

I don't know what's going on. I don't know if there's a plan. I THINK there's a plan. But this whole CD release and promo stuff has been strange. The timing. The two weeks and then nothing. The horrible, really horrible things that have been said about him in the reviews - "the worst album ever!" and the personal comments that had nothing to do with his music or the CD.

Here we have one of the nicest guys in the entertainment business and no matter what he does there's too many that are ready to put a negative spin on it and disclaim him.

I pretty much have to disagree with this - I honestly don't think, in the great scheme of music or life, that anybody but the hardcore fans spends much time at all thinking of ways to do Clay in. I don't think there is a "fix" put in. Just the fans alone can be over-the-top and hilarious. And in some ways, harmful. There are FANS out there seriously invested in pushing the agenda that Clay is gay. There are FANS out there seriously pushing the agenda that all the other fans want Ashes to be the single (I personally do not like it at all; I suspect some people are going by what they think teenagers will like, and the marketing research was done at home) - there are FANS wailing and hand-wringing and declaring all is woe - even though Clay did get wonderful reviews for Spamalot, and even though most reviews praise his voice. Even though his CD debuted in the top 5, and even though iconic singers have all slid way down in sales because of industry trends. I just don't see many reviews that say "the worst album ever!", sorry. And if Clay feels most comfortable describing himself as geeky or dorky, then that is his decision, his life.

I have been away from the boards a bit, and have stopped reading all but this one, because all the studious and pointless negativity just really weirds me out. "Clay would be a success if he would just talk about other stuff, sing other stuff, work with other people, wear different clothes, kiss wimmen and grope them in public just to prove he is straight, take more credit, spend less time on that silly charity stuff, get someone else to do his hair or be his mother or get different producers/representation/PR/whateverthecrap, listen to MEEEEEEE". Really, it is not about Clay himself any more, IMO. It seems like some fans need self-validation or something.

I think I am becoming one of those - gasp! - people who used to be a hardcore fan and now just buys his CD when I see it, because all the angst and noisy criticism really do take away from the fun. I guess if people owned stock in Clay Aiken, Inc., they would be entitled to piss and moan, but thank goodness, Clay is his own man. Which is what I love about him. And I am decidedly not a fan of other fans, just Clay. And KAndre.

What bothers me lately is the feeling that if Clay does, indeed, start taking direction from any agenda-laden and self-glorifying fans, I will lose interest in him entirely, because he would not be Clay Aiken any more, he would be like a Sims creature or something.

Heeee.....I remember reading how Clay could sing the phone book, and people would love it. The reality is, there would be people going Oh, no, not THAT phonebook, that city is not the right demographic! He should just sing letters A, O, and T from the really really cool phonebook! The one with the cool cover! The one from New York! The one from Los Angeles! Because those are the phone numbers that count! OMG! Who told him to sing the Raleigh phone book? I bet it was Faye - off with her head! I bet it was Clive! He gave all the really awesome phone books to other singers because he is trying to do Clay in!

Sorry for the rant, I just don't really see all the negative stuff. Clay is a talented singer, a lot of people acknowledge that in print, he himself said things take a long time (unless folks think someone MADE him say that :-). That's another thing, it was funny at first, but I wonder if some people know how stupid and obvious it looks when they take anything Clay says that agrees with their own agenda (or the one they got from listening to FC crap, I feel a LOT of people were taken in by that) - as The Truth, and declare anything he says that does not fit the agenda as misdirection, or someone made him say it.

Back to not hardly even lurking :-)

Good Morning Everyone,

Loved that interview! Doesn't sound like someone who is sitting around watching his career slip away. Just sounds like our Clay, the Clay he has always been.

djs111 Love your post...probably one of the things that pisses me off the most is the "Clay as perpetual victim" syndrome that is so pervasive at times...that man is nobody's victim...not everyone is going to like Clay or think is the greatest thing since sliced bread like we do...doesn't mean they are out to get him. Just deal with it and move on.

Don't forget, Leno repeats tonight!

1 Day until Kimmel repeats!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Thank you guys, for the birthday wishes. I didn't mean to be "sneaky"...just didn't realize that little bit of info was not in my profile. So, that's fixed now. Thanks for noticing, Clagasm. :)

There have been a lot of good posts in the past few days that I will be going back to read again more slowly today...I'm behind, but still running after y'all. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves. LOL

No dreams about Clay in a Starfleet uniform. Darn it.

Happy belated birthday 00lsee!

I'm single and would rather get another cat than have to take care of a man again!

Same here.

And I really really don't like cats. :cryingwlaughter:

BWAH! But the thing is, if you find a good man, he won't need taking care of, and he might just end up doing a lot of niiiice things for you! Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of guys around like that. I think several lucky girls on our board have guys like that, though, including me. Yeah, I love Mr. Gibby! :)

:lipstick:

Yeah, I'm one of those lucky ones too. OK, so maybe he needs taking care of once in a while -- but then so do I. *g* And the benefits are quite worth it, to me at least.

I heard Sacrificial Love come up in my playlist while I was working out last night, and it made me think a bit about the fandom. Think about these words sung to fans:

'You tell me you're here forever, but act like you're passing through. Which one's the real you? Are you only practicin' until you find the real thing? Takin' up space, until you find yourself that perfect face. Are you lookin' over my shoulder? Am I enough, or just your Sacrificial Love?'

I think that Clay will never be enough for some people, because he's not who they want him to be.

Whoa. That's interesting...and your last line is quite true. QUITE.

Gibby, what pretty pictures! I envy you all who live in these picturesque places!

Ok, I admit it I like Ashes quite a bit, however I've never once said it should have been the first single, I just don't think that is my call. I have been trying to give equal love to all of the videos at AOL. I'm not sure if these things help or not, but I'd rather use my enery giving the songs some hits just in case it does.

Actually, I was thinking about this last night too, and have decided that I really need to hit his AOL Sessions of OMWH the song pretty hard. While it is unfortunately, IMO, his weakest performance of the 5 songs, I think I need to give it some love just to say "hey, this is Clay's single, I'm supporting it." I also hit SAU a few times last night too, just for good measure.

Thank God he can still laugh about it!

As a firm defender of free speech (being a librarian and all), this statement of his made my heart glad. Yes, it sucks to have it be like this, and I'm pretty positive our Founding Fathers here in the US would be flummoxed by the internet, but I still do believe in freedom of the press. I also believe in ignoring much of the press. *g*

djs111 Love your post...probably one of the things that pisses me off the most is the "Clay as perpetual victim" syndrome that is so pervasive at times...that man is nobody's victim...not everyone is going to like Clay or think is the greatest thing since sliced bread like we do...doesn't mean they are out to get him. Just deal with it and move on.

Yes, one of the biggest things that makes my teeth grind -- Clay as victim. I always want to say to people -- if you claim he's got titanium balls, why not let him use them?

I think I'm somewhat in the middle of Iseeme and djs, honestly. I think there is some definite prejudice out there -- but IMO much of it was created by the fans. I also hold it in my heart that prejudices can be overcome, and again, I think the fans can help with this. Acting calm and rationally when writing a comment on a blog/review/AOL Sessions can help. *g*

I don't believe that Clay being called a dork/nerd/goofy hurts him that much though -- except in the eyes of the "cool kids," and I don't care about them. (An aside -- we just bought a book in our library called "Nerds: Who They Are and Why the World Needs More of Them." I think that's the title at least. Can't wait to read it....)

I'm sure there's more I want to say, but can't think of it now. Need to run off to work.....

I'm frustrated. Not discouraged. Just frustrated.

But I don't think his career is over - not by a long shot!!! It's just going to take longer than it should.

And on that note - good night! Thank you for FCA. Thank you.

Iseeme, I hope you don't think I'm singling you out but I missed the discussion last night and yours was one of the last posts.

It is frustrating to live in a world where lives get torn apart and wars do start and time is not enough and not everyone has a friend and even if they do friendship doesn't last and right does not always win.

It's not about being a nice guy. Ruben and a bunch of others are nice guys too.

But if you believe that Clay deserves success because he's "one of the nicest guys in the entertainment business" then all I can say is that you have to keep on believing. Sometimes that's all we have but it is enough. Things will turn around like they always do, and the positive I see is that he is not helplessly waiting for things to happen, for some deus ex machina to fix things. Within the parameters of the world, he controls his own destiny.

This is an anthem that that another FCAer gave me, albeit a new version, and the show that it came from is something the critics would gleefully jump on but it gives me hope: I Am What I Am

djs111, you're absolutely right in that this is the worst thing that can come of it.

What bothers me lately is the feeling that if Clay does, indeed, start taking direction from any agenda-laden and self-glorifying fans, I will lose interest in him entirely, because he would not be Clay Aiken any more, he would be like a Sims creature or something.

(though Sims Clay can be a fun diversion - *nudges the eHP*) *Belated HBD, 00lsee!*

Let's see - how many ways could my post be misunderstood. At least two - right off the bat. First of all - it's ridiculous to think that I THOUGHT Clay should be treated differently because he's a nice guy. I was merely making a statement that he IS a nice guy but if you read alot of the reviews he's anything BUT. I also don't feel people are spending time trying to figuring out how to derail him in the media. I'm saying the prejudice exists...........not that it's well-thought out or even logical. It's there - IMO. How else can you explain some of the nasty shots that were taken at him personally instead of reviewing his music!!! How else can you explain the utter dismissal by some of a finely tuned and recorded CD. Do you think Clay has a "thin, ready, quivering voice?" Nothing I would ever use to describe him.

And yeah Scarlett - I think you were singling me out but that's okay. Had you read all the posts, mine was just the end of a long line of frustration - frustration with the so-called fans who think they own him body, soul and voice. Frustration with the fact that people like Michael Buble get a pass to sing covers and ballads and schmaltzy lyrics and it's lauded, not criticized. Frustration with the fact that some of Clay's worst enemies call themselves "one of his greatest fans!"

Anyway, it's too early in the morning for me and I'm taking my cranky self to a golf tournament and then to Tahoe for 5 days.

I hope that over the weekend some real sanity prevails in Claydom but I doubt it.

Have a good weekend everybody.......

I like Ashes a lot. It's in my Top 4. If I were choosing, it would have been the first single. I hear it as an anthem, and picture a bonfire with some choice items on it. And, while I like On My Way Here well enough, I don't love it. Too many over-used images/cliches/whatever you want to call them for my personal taste after that stunning opening. BUT... I'm not in charge, and I hardly have my pulse on the preferences of radio listeners. My choice might not fare any differently. Easy to criticize. Hard to deliver. So far, I think the single is doing exactly what Clay hoped. It broke the top 30 on AC, and is still there. If it climbs slowly, and then another single has a similar path, Clay could become one of their regularly played artists. That's how I interpreted the goal he set in his blog. I'd like to support it, but haven't found the right vehicle. I stream from suggested sources on occasion, but haven't made any requests. I'm lazy. I'm looking for a request line email link and haven't seen one for the AC stations in this area. Have you had any luck with JBR, Claygasm? If so, will you direct me as to the most effective way to request there, which DJ is most responsive, whether there's a request hour, etc? I'd like to help get the single Clay and his team have selected to stay in the top 30 and move up.

But. but. Clayzorback, Even his hand rejects him!

:cryingwlaughter:

poorclay.jpg

Thanks lajeterfan; very interesting...I mean a lot of it we already know, but I love the part where he says he always considered himself an entertainer...I always have too...what I find really kind of humorous now is that so many in the fandom that had Clay firmly in the "pop star" box are suddenly jumping on the "Clay as an all around Entertainer" bandwagon now that the numbers aren't what they think they should be and Clay may not be the next Elvis as some had hoped.

Iseeme I understand your feelings regarding Faye based on what Clay wrote, but for me; that book is told only from Clay's point of view and without Faye and Ray's point of view, I hestitate to condemn her; I am sure if you talked to my kids, I would not get any mother of the year awards myself...we all do the best we can when raising kids and I just can't judge another mother without walking in her shoes.Kim

:clap: I agree wholeheartedly..........I think Faye has done a tremendous job raising Clay. I also don't think she should be fodder for discussion. JMO and all.

I like Hannah....mostly because she likes Clay....but also because she's extremely talented herself....and seems pretty down to earth as near as anyone can tell.

I guess today was a good day to come home from work and fall asleep on the sofa. I woke up at midnight and now I'm working.

CG, yeah Clay's blog fell on deaf ear and it's sad really. I think it was you or Ansa that said yeah rant about it but then let's get over it and put the energy behind the CURRENT single.

Anyway, enough about that..cuz we're on to my favorite subject. I must say that my Hannah love has nothing to do with Clay. That woman is so mad talented..she had me in awe. I went to Spam to see Clay; but every time I walked out of there, yes I had the warm fuzzies about Clay being so impressive but also about Hannah's immense talent. I don't know if that's the perfect role for her or if other things she does would excite me as much...guess I should google or you tube or whatever it is we do these days! I did order the Broadway Cares DVD. Anybody else? I haven't gotten yet but can't wait to see the duet again.

Back to work and the midight repeat of the game I missed.

couchie my husband said she was the star of the show. I enjoyed her contribution to Spamalot, a great deal myself. Very talented lady.

IMHO the only people out to get Clay are some of his fans. They are the albatross around his neck. IMO the song EIDN is about his fans. They truly are "Everything He Don't Need." The best favor he could do for himself is to close down his OFC messageboard and stop reading his fans altogether. The only way I see for him to keep his sanity.

I love Ashes, Falling, and WIDTL along with a couple of others. Least favorites are still TRM, SL, SAU.

It's Summer time. Why are people not outdoors enjoying it? Why spend all their time on the board engaging in the same 5 year old conversations? Time to get back to life and your family. Get out and do things before the snow hits us again. JMO and all. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Bwah! Just to put things in perspective - Rachel Ray has been declared a terrorist sympathizer by some noisy stupidass groups, because she is wearing a black and white scarf that looks like a Muslim headdress scarf, in her Dunkin' Donuts commercial. So Dunkin' Donuts pulled the commercial.

Now, I think Dunkin' Donuts does not do America much good (or actually the world, because I stopped into a Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast stuff once or twice a week when I was working in Tokyo, and I was always the only foreigner there) - selling people chunks of fried sugary fatty dough is not helping them. Yes, I know I bought them, too. What. Shut up.

But now some group has succeeded in screwing with RR's endorsement value, just because of her freaking neckwear!

I was disappointed in her because she shilled for Dunkin' Donuts!

So this happens to everyone at somepoint, IMO and all that.