#52: "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."

jmh123

Thread title poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I am so grateful for a board that is celebrating The Clay!
    • We have no idea in hell what Clay is up to. We hope he's happy.
    • God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.
    • He's made a changed woman out of me!
    • Clay Aiken - Better than burnt weinies!

Congratulations to the children of gibby, muski and luckiest1! My, how they grow so fast...and become so smart! And I love all your proud mothers...

I'd love to be able to comment on the conversation at hand, but I will say that I've been a fan of many people at the same time over the years. It's just that Clay, for now, has most of my time and money. I don't think that will change for a long time either...

But...just put my name on couchie's response and you pretty much have my take on most of this too.

justclay12

:happybirthday05:

Ooh, it's birthday time again? Happy Birthday justclay12!

Hee, I put this together for comparison purposes. Now vs. last March in NYC for Spam. I promise I'll stop now. This is a Clay board after all! :cryingwlaughter:

post-212-1244811117_thumb.jpg

Interesting questions. I think there's a conflict between entertainment-celebrity culture and the kind of values you are talking about. I'm not sure one can exist within the other. Ditto with corporate culture. A wise man who was a Harvard professor and came from a family that owned a large and successful corporation, Holmes Welch, wrote this in 1957 (in the name of another wise old Chinese man of several millenia ago):

"America's greatest troubles come from the advertising business...It makes people want to buy things that they would not otherwise want to buy. It fills their minds with desire for ingenious devices and with ambition to have more than their neighbors.... But this is not the worst. Advertising agencies are Press Gangs in the warfare between manufacturers where one pits his brand against the others. Here is a poor citizen minding his own business. See how the advertisers advance upon him and persuade him to choose a brand and be loyal to it! He becomes a soldier; he learns that because the brand he uses is superior, he is superior.... This cannot help but damage his character.

The advertising business supports newspapers, magazines, television, and radio. Without advertising most of these would pine away.... Then people would not know what was happening in the world and soon they would not care. After they ceased to care, they would become quiet, they would be ready for understanding.... To be always talking is against nature. Clever people are so busy supplying demand for talk and the rest of the people are so busy keeping the supply consumed that everybody knows everything, but understands nothing.

Then there is the practice of 'public relations'. Public relations are not only harmful, but foolish. To deafen the country with clamour about the good deeds of a man or company is to risk their goodness, while to say that the bad is good will be one's own undoing.... But it is more than foolish. It damages character....

What is needed by each of your great men and great companies is not an advertising program, not a public relations program, but an anonymity program. Each company then would have a Vice-President in charge of Anonymity, who would do what he could to keep people from learning about its good products and good works. Then the good works would be wholly successful and the good products would be bought only by those who needed them...."

jmh... very interesting quote! This is a time of shifting paradigms and to survive, being fluid and flexible in our thinking is essential. New ideas and new ways of thinking (and reacting) MUST be looked at, evaluated, and accepted/rejected. We cannot go back to the past, that no longer works. We must create the new future. I'm looking forward to seeing the future we move into. Growing and changing is not comfortable for most and many fight it tooth and nail, unfortunately. Clay is a future thinker and I really like that about him.

Gots to get to work...

JustClay... :bdayparty2: Have a wonderful day/week!!!

Taking a break from unpacking boxes....don't feel like I'm accomplishing much other than making a mess. :givemebeer: As much as I griped about its coming, I'm beginning to think "stuff" is overrated. I did find 2 external hard drives and some Clay CD's though. That was nice.

Oh, and I did find the hurling stick I won at a charity event on St. Patrick's Day in Baku. I think I'll keep it in the corner by the front door in case anyone without good manners comes calling looking for hardwood. I'll be able to help them with that. :bigemo_harabe_net-24:

:cryingwlaughter: Seriously, that packing and unpacking thing gets mighty old, doesn't it?

Hee, I put this together for comparison purposes. Now vs. last March in NYC for Spam. I promise I'll stop now. This is a Clay board after all! :cryingwlaughter:

Thank you for that illustration! It was really quite shocking to see the difference. He (and all your kids) are good people.

Aw luckiest, from a boy to a young man. I'm sure it makes all you've both gone through worth it. :clap:

Happy Birthday justclay12

:04: :happybirthday01::cake: :hb2: :ole0:

Happy Birthday justclay12!!! Didn't I meet you at Spamalot in Jan?

Ah, these are great pictures!

Happy birthday, justclay

Have any of you here thought of yourselves as cougars in relation to Clay? Much as I lust after him I've never called myself that but I then think I'm way past cougar age and well into too old pussycat age.

An Interesting article on the subject from NPR

Let Us Allow The Word 'Cougar' To Die Instantly and Painfully

by Linda Holmes

It was this Newsweek piece, entitled "Why Cougars Crave 'Idol' Runner-Up Adam Lambert," that finally broke me.

It is time for the word "cougar" to go, preferably instantly.

The Newsweek writer, Joan Raymond, spends paragraph upon paragraph explaining why she and her "cougar court" spent an American Idol season sweating over the heavily hyped, extremely popular, out-without-having-ever-been-in Lambert. How could this be? How could it possibly be that they, as non-teenagers, could be interested in an American Idol who, at 27 years old, was young enough to be ... their nephew, if they had a significantly older sister?

When I first heard it, "cougar" was a crude slam; I think I first noticed it on the "Aldrin Justice" episode of How I Met Your Mother, which aired in October 2006, though this ABC story was chatting it up in 2005, and it surely is much older than that.

But interestingly, as the ABC story notes, it began as a putdown — a term of ridicule for older women who went home from bars with "whoever was left."

We could go through the sexual politics, the cultural baggage that comes with older men and younger women vs. younger men and older women. We could explain why seeing women gleefully referring to themselves the same way Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris) did on How I Met Your Mother is kind of disheartening.

But really, it's not necessary. The term "cougar" can be easily retired, simply on the grounds that it's so stupid.

Crazy fans, too many sex therapists, and never calling yourself "punk rock," after the jump...

Maybe there was some cultural moment in which this term had something to do with being self-possessed enough, or in control enough, or financially independent enough that it was no longer necessary to consider the career prospects of blah blah blah yes, okay, fine. Maybe for a brief moment.

But when I saw it applied to Slumdog Millionaire star Freida Pinto — who is 24 — when initial reports emerged that she was dating her co-star Dev Patel — who is 19 — it became clear that whatever minuscule speck of usefulness it might have ever had was gone.

And if it can be applied to a bunch of 40-year-old women because they are shocked by their own ability to be attracted to a physically attractive, heavily marketed, highly talented 27-year-old? It's done. Fully cooked. Burnt to a crisp, in fact.

Perhaps this is true of Raymond and her "cougar court":

When we got together, we no longer talked about good books, North Korea or the recession. We talked about all things Lambert.

But if that's true, and if they're thinking it's weird, then it's not weird because they're 40. It's weird because it's weird. Forty-year-old women who cancel all other conversation for a period of months so they can talk about American Idol aren't cougars. They are overinvested fans.

And overinvested fans have been part of American Idol (and the careers of plenty of other musicians — gay ones, straight ones, old ones, young ones, and Mick Jagger) since Adam Lambert's run on the show was but a platform-booted twinkle in his own eye.

If you want to be an obsessed fan, then by all means be one, and enjoy it, and don't feel guilty, because it's not one of the more harmful ways you could entertain yourself.

But it's pretty silly to promote the idea that your attraction to an under-30 American Idol contestant is something that requires the attention of a psychoanalyst and two sex therapists — as though a woman of Raymond's age should naturally expect her tastes to have turned exclusively Wilford Brimley-ward by now.

What Raymond et al experienced was not a freak occurrence of cougar-osity, of aging female sexuality remarkably brought back to life by the wildly unexpected appearance of a man in eyeliner.

It was, to put it plainly, rather common. Every single year, there are those who say, "I'm a woman over 40, and believe it or not, I LOVE HIM AND CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM."

They did it from Justin Guarini and Clay Aiken in Seasons 1 and 2 all the way up through Blake Lewis and David Cook in Seasons 6 and 7.

Look, you don't need a special word for 40-year-old women who can respond to a good-looking man on television with a healthy "yowza." They're called 40-year-old women. Calling yourself a "cougar" is like calling yourself "alternative" or "punk rock" or "famous." When people start saying it about themselves, it means even less than it did before.

And now it means nothing, so with apologies to the new Courteney Cox sitcom Cougar Town, I must suggest — no, request — that it end here.

and on a slightly positive note on the so called fight between OMC and AL that points out how ridiculous and unimportant it all is.

Lambert smacks down Aiken

The catfight between fellow gay “American Idol” second placers ADAM LAMBERT and CLAY AIKEN continues, with the singer who currently has a career ahead of him taking another swipe just for fun.

Lambert made his comments in the July issue of Rolling Stone, in the interview where he “officially comes out” (insert yawning sound here) as gay, in case anyone didn’t already know this. But he proved just how gay he is by bitching about his nemesis Aiken, who came out last year in celeb magazine “People,” after years of dragging it out.

“I didn’t want the Clay Aiken thing and the celebrity-magazine bullshit,” he said on the Rolling Stone blog. “I need to be able to explain myself in context.”

What is there to explain? That you wear lipstick and make out with other boys? Dish loves Le Lambert more than her Prada heels, but she must question how Lambert sees himself as being so superior. Both singers were interviewed in magazines that Dish keeps in a basket next to her toilet. In the end, a magazine is a magazine, they’re good to read while you take a…well, you know.

Dish would also like to point out the fact that Lambert admits he decided to try out for “American Idol” when he was at Burning Man, high on drugs. Such scandal! What will the children think, Clay? The ball is in your court.

ps wandacleo I enjoyed the article on The Gay Asterisk thank for posting the link. (damn 2 edits in 3 minutes!)

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys. I bought myself a Sony walkman, which is actually a gift from my son, this morning as my birthday gift. His birthday was yesterday and mine today so instead of him actually having to go shop, he told me to just use my money for his birthday and buy one. I'm really looking forward to a day when he has a steady girlfriend who will do the shopping for him cuz it's just not the same when you have to get your own gift.

Preden, we probably did meet but I met so many people that night, I can't remember. I was sitting with Couchie.

Now, can somebody bring purty pictures or suggestions of videos to help fill up my mp3 player? My hard drive fried so I'm rebuilding my collection.

Happy Birthday, justclay12!

Has AL become Voldemort? Goodness! Quick, raise your hand if you too thought that the biggest post-finale Idol story was going to be Clay Aiken vs. Lamdemort! :laugh2: I know it's been said before, but other than The Clayman and Lamdemort are both gay, were on Idol, and have hot boyfriends, they don't have that much in common... :shrug: Whatevs.

ETA: I keep forgetting to thank, PermaSwooned for trying to answer my question! *raps self on head* Thanks, PermaSwooned! It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it made my day! *glances at treenuts' birthday offering* Now there's a happy birthday present!

Now, can somebody bring purty pictures or suggestions of videos to help fill up my mp3 player? My hard drive fried so I'm rebuilding my collection.

Not sure what your preference in pics is so I'll just toss a few of my favs out there for ya! :tasty:

:loveclaysbutt:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :BlowKiss:

For JustClay (and anyone else who happens to be breathing!

DejaVu.jpg

Clay33-8-082.jpg

vlcsnap-44859.png

ClaySouthBend197_filtered.jpg

gahahahah.jpg

IMG_1255_fsen.jpg

Clay23.jpg

As for videos... I bought AYSTAFG from itunes for $3.99 and then went to Clack Unlimited and downloaded any and all of Scarlett's MP4's. Have FUN!!!

Thanks for the pictures and suggestions. Keep em coming. As far as what I like treenuts, as long as it's not the Jenna Bush pics, I'm good. I loved all the ones you posted, and had them before the crash so it will be nice to have them back.

FromClaygary...you and I are not always on the same page, but I was in danger of breaking my neck from nodding so violently while reading your 'rant'....All I can say is.:

:preachit::yeahthat:

All the staff at my workplace are going together to an Oakland A's game today...gonna tailgate first and then just vegetate at the ballpark. Nice day, huh? My older daughter graduates high school tomorrow. Un.freak.ing.real. :Ahh:

CONGRATS on your daughter's graduation! :clap: It's rather mind-blowing, isn't it? I hope the festivities are joyous.

I just spent the last two days at CU Boulder with my 16 year old dtr, going to student/parent orientation. She will start there mid-August, but signed up for classes and got most of the orientation stuff out of the way already. She's so excited to go to college! I, on the other hand, have mixed feelings - so glad that she is moving onto the next stage, but sad that she's leaving the nest. I know that I'll adjust with time!

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying all of the delish pics of Clay posted recently. Thank you!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to justclay, who inspired them!

:happybirthday01:

As for videos... I bought AYSTAFG from itunes for $3.99 and then went to Clack Unlimited and downloaded any and all of Scarlett's MP4's. Have FUN!!!

OK, I guess I'm not as fluent in Clay-cronyms as I thought I was. What is AYSTAFG? I feel like I should know it, but don't and I couldn't get to the FCA glossary.

bwah..I too was trying to figure out which SONG that was and was wondering why it cost 3.99.

I'm glad I wasn't alone!

Did I make GA-FCA? No? Awww. Well, GE then!

:GE_FCA:

(sorry, not caught up -- what's available for $3.99?) Found it! [tm:cute knight]

HBD, justclay12!!!

:happybirthday02:

ETA: Thanks for the shoutout on the mp4's, liney!!! :thankyou: BTW, in case there are any XviDs that I forgot to make mp4's of, please let me know. I'll be working on files while cleaning pretending to clean this weekend because a couple of people requested the rest of the Erie 2007 concert (where he sang the Bach part at the end of OHN). I try to make mp4's straight from the HD files because multiple conversions can reduce clarity a bit (well, ok, not by much but it still gets me).

Since I am completely clueless when it comes to the different kinds of files, can someone explain the difference between wmv's, mp3's and mp4's. I've seen all of them for audio and have no idea what they mean.