#52: "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."

jmh123

Thread title poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I am so grateful for a board that is celebrating The Clay!
    • We have no idea in hell what Clay is up to. We hope he's happy.
    • God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.
    • He's made a changed woman out of me!
    • Clay Aiken - Better than burnt weinies!

Since I am completely clueless when it comes to the different kinds of files, can someone explain the difference between wmv's, mp3's and mp4's. I've seen all of them for audio and have no idea what they mean.

Only the mp3 is an audio file. mp4 is an iTunes video file and will play on an iPod--but I'm not sure about the Walkman. wmv is a video file that plays on window's media player. I don't know whether wmv files will play on your Walkman, or what kind of files it will play. Here is a link to some manuals for various models: http://www.usersmanualguide.com/sony/mp3_walkman.

Gibby,

When will she be 17? My 18 year old is leaving for college in August. I can't imagine letting her go at 16.

Hi, Paulette! She will be 17 on July 1st, so she'll barely be 17 when she goes to college. Eeeeep! She will probably be fine, but it's a little hard on Mom! During orientation there were parent sessions, which of course included info on how to pay your mooolah to the university. But there were also sessions about letting your teen have more independence, letting them make their own mistakes, letting them solve their own problems, etc. I might need a couple of more sessions like that! :)

Do I remember correctly that your son already went off to college? So you'll have two in college next year - your son and daughter?

Thanks for the info jmh. I'm pretty sure my walkman plays wmv files, not sure about mp4 but I haven't read enough yet to do anything more than charge my battery and load the music and pictures from my computer. Since I haven't had a chance to re-download videos yet, I don't know which ones will go on the walkman. It basically did everything for me. I plugged it in and once it charged, a box popped up asking if I wanted to download files and I clicked yes and it did all the work.

And thank you Couchie and everyone else for the birthday wishes. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit the memory for birthdays that my one sister did so I usually forget birthdays, but I do appreciate all you guys and want to say a Happy Birthday to all for the birthdays I missed and those that I am sure I will miss in the future. How's that for a run-on sentence. I am famous for them.

Gibby,

When will she be 17? My 18 year old is leaving for college in August. I can't imagine letting her go at 16.

Hi, Paulette! She will be 17 on July 1st, so she'll barely be 17 when she goes to college. Eeeeep! She will probably be fine, but it's a little hard on Mom! During orientation there were parent sessions, which of course included info on how to pay your mooolah to the university. But there were also sessions about letting your teen have more independence, letting them make their own mistakes, letting them solve their own problems, etc. I might need a couple of more sessions like that! :)

Do I remember correctly that your son already went off to college? So you'll have two in college next year - your son and daughter?

Yes, my son will be a junior. How did your daughter graduate so early? She must be one bright girl.

Yes, my son will be a junior. How did your daughter graduate so early? She must be one bright girl.

She skipped kindergarten as she was already a very fluent reader at the time. She was five years old when she started first grade. She will be in the honors program at CU, mostly because she's such a good reader and writer.

I'm already groaning about college costs, so I can't imagine having to pay for two in college at the same time! Are your two going to the same college, or did they choose to go separate ways?

Did your daughter get a scholarship?

Both of mine are going to Iowa State University. My daughter did not think she would go there. It was the last campus that we visited, but she was blown away by their program. She will be a part of WISE, Women in Science and Engineering. Her roommate is a math major. Her whole floor will be girls in this program.

My daughter is majoring in Computer Science and ISU is certified in some special program that Microsoft requires. Every one of their students that graduated with a Com Sci degree this past Spring had job offers. That's pretty amazing in this economy. I've heard it's the same for the Mechanical Engineering students.

My son is in an apartment on campus, so it's easier to let go knowing that he is down there.

Both of my kids qualified for a scholarship that ALMOST brings the tuition down to in-state cost. We are lucky and my MIL is helping a lot and we have saved since they were babies. It's still going to be tight.

:GM_FCA:

126 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Claygary - thanks for the link! That is a very interesting and well-written article. It totally makes sense that the sentiment against effeminate men is really a societal bias against feminine behavior in general.

Did your daughter get a scholarship?

Yes, she did, but the costs are still high. We, too, have money saved up, but of course not enough to cover everything. It will be tight for us, too! College education is still the best determinant of a higher income, though, so I'm glad she's going to college.

But if Clay tours, I know I'll still find a way to go to see him! :-)

Congratulations to the FCA-kids: luckiest's DS, Muski's DD, Gibby's DD, Thankful's DD

:thbighug-1: to the Moms. Not to worry, you raised them well. They'll be just fine.

On topic: :BOCA:

:GM_FCA:

Kind of a grey day here today, but at least it's not raining. I spent the morning out at the rhubarb festival where heinz lives, checking out the garage sales and all the different rhubarb goodies for sale. I took this picture, can you believe the size of the rhubarb plant on this person's front lawn? I found that lots of houses had it planted for decoration, not just in the back garden like you would expect (including the local bank). I bought lots for baking and jam, which I'll get to a bit later today when I've got more energy. Right now I'm pooped! Piper came along for the ride this morning, and she was a very good little puppy, letting everyone pet her, and wearing her seat belt in the car.

th_IMG_1732-1.jpg

Still no word from Clay? I figure he may lay low for a few weeks, enjoy the summer. I bet that if he does have anything to announce, it won't be until the gala tickets have gone on sale, so maybe the beginning of July? I'm hoping, anyways. I'd love a Christmas tour (maybe in support of a new Christmas album) or another Broadway stint. Whatever he wants to do is fine with me. I'm easy that way. :cryingwlaughter:

luckiest... I grew up eating rhubarb and have a family recipe for rhubarb upside down cake that is delicious! If you are interested, I'll try and dig it up. Don't see it too often in the stores out here in CA (the state, not the man, hehe). Yum!

I hope Clay is doing exactly what he wants to do and having a great time doing it. I have no doubt that part of what he wants to do in the future is entertain us... he's said as much. It's just a matter of when and where.

Scarlett... pretty flower!

ETA: Sorry, the flower person was Perma. Opps!

Here's a VERY interesting article on effeminacy and the GLBT community. Warning, it's long....but I think it's well worth reading while we wait :)

Why can't you just Butch it up?

Really interesting article. I hope you post the link on other sites as well. The more people know, the more they can understand and accept.

We are the champions!

OMG what a game. In little league it only goes to 6 innings but it was tied so since it was the championship game we kept going. There were a bunch of other championship games going on and they had to wait for us for the trophy ceremony. Well actually they only waited a a bit and then they started without us. LOL. My nephew knocked in the winning run with a hit down the first base line in the bottom of the 9th and got the game ball!! yay. So they are the city's double A champs. And now we learn we go to the tournament of champions to play teams representing cities from 2 counties so it's not over yet.

Congrats couchie and nephew!

I just love the new technology! Here I am in 100 degree heat, in the pool, catching up on the FCA on my laptop with Clay Aiken blaring out from my iPod. Life is good.

Though it is hot...darn hot! Thank goodness I got my air conditioner fixed.

Rhubarb......I love the stuff with custard. The English kind of course not the ice cream kind.

Speaking of rhubarb, I have a plant about the size in luckiest1's picture...this is the second season of growing and although it is huge, the stalks are mostly green with just a hint of red at the base. I don't know if this is because the spring has been so cool and rainy, but I am just wondering if it is okay to pick? I love rhubarb, but I don't want to pick it and risk making anyone sick.

:italianflick: Merrieeee...it's June 13th and I am sitting here in a sweatshirt and making soup for dinner it is chilly...send a little of that warmth our way, mmmkay?

(just kidding really, but being Italian, I had to use that emoticon :hugs-1: )

Kim

I think I must be rhubarb challenged. :cryingwlaughter: Even though I think it maybe resembles pinkish reddish celery (?), I really have only used it in the context of some kind of argument or bruhaha and have never considered it as an edible :whistling-1: Please don't think me a Philistine, k.

Something to decorate with...

In honor of some article about some guys who may or may not be harmonizing together somewhere or somehow this weekend or something like that ;-)

Ah, treenuts, you don't know what you're missing! :cryingwlaughter:

aikim, I don't think there is any reason not to pick it....not all rhubarb is red. The only thing on rhubarb that can hurt anyone is the leaves - they are not edible.

Congrats to your nephew's team, couchie!

aikim, I don't think there is any reason not to pick it....not all rhubarb is red. The only thing on rhubarb that can hurt anyone is the leaves - they are not edible.

My rhubarb is mostly green also. Still tastes great.

Thanks for the input...guess I will go pick some rhubarb...I know the leaves are toxic...I have lots of rhubarb recipes that I am anxious to try!

Kim