#59: Forget life -- It's CLAY time!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My life has been so enriched by knowing this Clay Aiken guy!
    • I love Clay !! Forever and ever !
    • It's About Damn Time for the Spaghetti & Meatball Show.
    • Let's do it again, girls!
    • Clay is hilarious and lickable at the same time
    • I l.o.v.e. my hawt humanatarianactivistsingersongwriterambassador boyfriend
    • Brad Pitt, Johnny Dep move over, way over, here comes Clay.
    • It's always like the first date all over again with Clay, and I always end up falling in love.
    • Whoever shrunk those jeans... thank you!
    • He branded me for life.
    • Clay Aiken: I am me.

Thank you keeping faith for posting the link to Just One Look. I lived in Ruben's 60's as well. I don't think any decade can touch the 60's for the richness and variety of music. I loved it all from the Beatles to Brazil 66. My tastes were so eclectic-my album collection ranged from the Anita Kerr singers to Steppenwolf. From the little snippet we got of the 60's in Timeless, the music sung by Ruben resonated with me more than Clay's. But I did love that he sang Going Out of My Head. Now he just has to sing Sing I Fell For You.

I had an interesting musical epiphany while listening to a radio show that features songs from the 50's and 60's each Saturday night on wxpn.org out of Philly. The host was playing Strangers in the Night sung by Sinatra and really that is the only rendition I recalled hearing. Then he played the song sung by the orignal artist who sang that song as part of a musical score for a movie. The host did not initially identify the artist and I found myself thinking how much I loved the voice and the rendition and how much I preferred it to Sinatra's and how the voice had a "clay" quality. It turned out to be Jack Jones- who I listened to on repeat when he came out with Can't Get Used to Losing You in 1962. Jones was one of my favorite pop artists back then - I loved his voice which reminded me of Clay's yesterday. It seems to me that the vocal qualities I loved back then has remained pretty constant.

Looking at this one, I'm just gonna call it a night. :dead-1:

HamptonBeachNH.jpg

I don't know if his surgery fixed the TMJ, but the result visually is a thing of beauty and a wonder to behold.

keeping... Amen to that sistah keepingfaith! (I just watched SueReu and your posted Rival youtubes, can't you guess????)

I laughed so hard during this. It takes several revival clips and puts them together. Enjoy, This was done by SueRue:

gbm... thank you for posting this link. I laughed my head off. I absolutely LOVED when the mic when down into his drawers... BWAH!!!

cagney... I remember Jack Jones, but he was a voice only to me. Never saw him perform.

Besides a fantabulous voice, Clay has personality and is funny!!! I remember laughing at Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr trying to do skits and they had great voices, too. I liked Dean Martin and laughed a lot at his shows, but I adored Sammy Davis Jr. Now that I think about it, he and Clay have some similarities... big voices out of skinny bodies and f.u.n.n.y. However, Sammy could dance circles around any other vocalist I know of.

Ok so

cindilu2 - 80s medley

FearOfH20 - Suspicious Minds

ldyjocelyn - Mandy

couchie - 60s medley

keepingfaith - 70s medley

Just a reminder that we are ranking audio, not video. So this means that we try to evaluate each piece of clack (video or audio) for the audio quality only. We could also do a set of best of video, but that's a whole different thing.

I'd like to do both an audio as well as video of the best of Timeless Tour. Maybe just a comment if a video is splendiforus or down right pretty or even laugh out loud funny.

I'm enjoying KF and cagneys' memories of the sixties. I don't remember a thing and I didn't do drugs. :whee:

:GM_FCA:

52 Days until The Special Chicago Concert!:yahoo:

54 Days until The National Inclusion Project Gala!:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I loved it all from the Beatles to Brazil 66. My tastes were so eclectic-my album collection ranged from the Anita Kerr singers to Steppenwolf.

Thank YOU, Cagney. I read the words Brazil 66 and immediately saw Sergio Mendes and heard Mas Que Nada in my head!

I never had any Jack Jones records. He was in that group with Andy Williams, Perry Como and Robert Goulet that my mother liked -- the "Wives and Lovers" stuff. Maybe Jack had a version, but "Can't Get Used to Loving You" was a big hit for Andy Williams. About that time I was preferring Sam Cooke's "Another Saturday Night" and The Tymes "So Much In Love" and The Ronettes "Be My Baby." It was also about the time I started buying Peter, Paul and Mary records, Joe & Eddie, The Chad Mitchell Trio in the early 60's.

Regarding Steppenwolf, anybody remember that song "Tenderness" that had a country vibe, very different from "Ride With Me" and "Monster" and "Born to Be Wild" etc. -- but I loved that song very much. And I remember some dudes who didn't much care for it!

I don't care what Clay records next, except I want it to be something he can dance to! I love to watch the man's moves.

I guess I was more of a 70's child but I am crazy about the music of the 60's. I love the R&R from that era. But the Beatles were and are still my all time favorite band! LOVE :flirtysmile3:

Steppenwolf was some cool shit though! I think the lead singer sounded a bit like Eric Burden (The Animals, which was another fav of mine) but I may have been halucinating :cryingwlaughter:acid flash

Here's what I know/recall about Jack Jones -

The Looooove Boat,

promises something for everyone.

Set a course for adventure,

Your mind on a new romance....

:hello:

but the Beatles were and are still my all time favorite band! LOVE :flirtysmile3:

Steppenwolf was some cool shit though! I think the lead singer sounded a bit like Eric Burden (The Animals, which was another fav of mine) but I may have been halucinating :cryingwlaughter:acid flash

Here's what I know/recall about Jack Jones -

The Looooove Boat,

promises something for everyone.

Set a course for adventure,

Your mind on a new romance....

1. For a long time I never fully trusted anyone of my generation who didn't like The Beatles. Right off the bat, there was a problem. So I married a guy who didn't like The Beatles. Lust screwed with my life so many times!

2. I love John Kay's voice and he sounds like no one else. I adored Eric Burden too. That husband I just spoke of always said the best concert he ever saw was The Animals down at Padre Island in the late 60's. I've heard Classic Rock stations for mumblety-years and they are a pale comparison to the old underground radio stations, like K-AUM in Houston. Classic Rock doesn't play The Pusher or Monster or any of the truly greats from Steppenwolf, you'll usually just hear Magic Carpet Ride and Born to Be Wild. My favorite Burden/Animals was Don't Bring Me Down (not the Lennon-McCartney song although I love it) and the later stuff with War. Speaking of the Lennon-McCartney Don't Bring Me Down, there's a guy singing in a sandwich shop a few blocks down who either has a very limited repertoire or I'm just hitting it at strange moments, because 75% of the time when I pass by he's singing "Don't Bring Me Down" -- the rooftop version. And speaking of sandwich shop, my stream of consciousness has moved to the guy I saw while walking down San Jacinto Street week before last, a long-hair wearing a sandwich board home-made from a cardboard box, and the only thing I could read from it as he passed by was the first line, "I Am An Asshole." There's gotta be a story there. I was then stopped on the street by a strange looking man who asked me, "Are you a writer, a musician or an artist?" Yeah, I kept walking. Life in the city. But then there was the best looking man I've ever seen in my life who was stopped at the corner with me on Thursday and when I looked at him I almost had a heart attack. He was dressed oh so gorgeously and was dazzlingly handsome. I was stricken by how handsome this man was. He walked quickly and I was losing ground to him for at least 4 blocks when I saw him enter my workplace. If he's a new professor here this semester, OMG!

3. Could I possibly be the only person in America who never watched even one full episode of The Love Boat, or Fantasy Island, or Love, American Style? In many ways my pop culture knowledge is very sketchy.

cagney 1950, I was in LOVE with Jack Jones!! I agree, it was the "Clay-ness" of his voice that I loved and re-found in Clay. I had all his albums, and saw him at a nightclub for my 16th birthday in 1966.

Nope don't get the clay-ness. Because NOBODY sounds like Clay to me. The first time I heard him sing, what grabbed me was the uniqueness of his voice, the tone and styling was all his own. I just don't compare his voice to anyone.

The only "old folks" songs I liked from the early 60's were Sammy Davis, Jr.'s What Kind of Fool Am I (also loved Anthony Newley singing it), and Bobby Darin's Beyond the Sea, and I don't even know why I like that song, because I didn't like Mack the Knife. I loved Timi Yuro's "Hurt" with a passion that may still not be assuaged, and I was 11 or 12 when that one came out. Anybody remember Timi?

ETA: I'd love to hear Quiana get ahold of that one!

I'd like to do both an audio as well as video of the best of Timeless Tour. Maybe just a comment if a video is splendiforus or down right pretty or even laugh out loud funny.

Absolutey, I think this would be a great list to compile as well! I am happy to see the clack still rolling in. I noticed a couple of LauraQ videos go up from Hammond, wheeeee! What a great show that was. I remember TITN/FWW was especially good that night (remember that little note change up he used to do when he first performed it? Most notably at the Miss America pageant IIRC) and I am hoping we get clack of WISYS soon too. He blew that out of the water. As for Windsor, can you really see the outline of the mic in his drawers? cryingwlaughter.gif Hee, I was clueless as to what was going on at the time! But I will have to check that out as well. So much clack, so little time....

So just to get these in order and add mine in:

FWW/TITN

Suspicious Minds - FearOfH20

Bring it on Home to Me (Ruben) - luckiest1

60s Medley - couchie

Natural Woman (Casey)

Still the One - luckiest1

Marvin Gaye Medley (Ruben)

70s Medley - keepingfaith

Mandy - ldyjocelyn

Superstar (Ruben)

I'm Every Woman (Quiana)

Baby, Stay With Me Tonight? (Ruben)

LackofRhythmitis Banter (Ruben)

When I See You Smile

80s Medley - cindilu2

Everything I Do, I Do For You (Ruben)

90s Medley

I've Had the Time of my Life

Anybody else? You know you wanna.....

What's with the reply function? I cannot get anything posted in the usual way, am now using Fast Reply.

Trying again, using edit function.

I loved Timi Yuro's "Hurt" with a passion that may still not be assuaged, and I was 11 or 12 when that one came out. Anybody remember Timi?

Thanks for that link, keepingfaith,what a beautiful voice.

Today I took the plunge and bought tickets through PBS for the San Francisco concert. I asked the receptionist where in the venue the tickets would be and she told me that they don't know where they will be as they are donated tickets. A list is made of those who have pledged for them and they are sold on a first pledged first served basis.

At least I will be able to see and hear Clay again and hopefully spend some time in San Francisco, a city I haven't visited in over 20 years.

I don't remember Ruben singing this. Where was I?

He sang this for the first couple of dates. My favourite solo of his. They could have chopped a verse off Superstar and left this one in. Fun song.

Hmmm Jack Jones. I love Jack Jones and his was the first What Are You Doing New Year's Eve that I heard (have it on my mp3 player).

ETA. Jack Jones is a classy looking man too

For luckiest and any other Elvis fans, this (link added) is audio with photographs of my teenage cousin, at that time a DJ at a country station, interviewing Elvis. Great sound quality. The amazed and thrilled but speechless look on the face of the young guy off to the right looks very familiar to me. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: deep into cleaning out my mom's house and moving things over here. Missing out on sign-up and cool conversation....

Was there supposed to be a link jmh123? Would love to hear it.

Thanks goldarngirl, I was kind of wondering myself when he'd sang that. I just copied and pasted that set list.

I went looking to see where in the progression it was. In Asheville it was right after IEW by Quiana. Since I haven't downloaded any clack and I didn't have full Jax, Melbourne or Clearwater (due to various different reasons) I don't have it again. My feeling is that he did it up to Clearwater (Scarlett has all of that concert I believe.

As an aside. If anyone is or knows an expert video tech that has expertise in recovering corrupt .mov files (we might end up with most of the Melbourne show) Otherwise we probably have all that we are going to get. *keeps fingers crossed*

Absolutey, I think this would be a great list to compile as well! I am happy to see the clack still rolling in. I noticed a couple of LauraQ videos go up from Hammond, wheeeee! What a great show that was. I remember TITN/FWW was especially good that night (remember that little note change up he used to do when he first performed it? Most notably at the Miss America pageant IIRC) and I am hoping we get clack of WISYS soon too. He blew that out of the water. As for Windsor, can you really see the outline of the mic in his drawers? cryingwlaughter.gif Hee, I was clueless as to what was going on at the time! But I will have to check that out as well. So much clack, so little time....

So just to get these in order and add mine in:

FWW/TITN

60s Medley - couchie

Natural Woman (Casey)

Mandy - ldyjocelyn

Superstar (Ruben)

I'm Every Woman (Quiana)

When I See You Smile

80s Medley - cindilu2

90s Medley

Anybody else? You know you wanna.....

Hey all. I would love to help and do the 90's medley. :) I love that medley...and Clay's hammerpants :D

At least I will be able to see and hear Clay again and hopefully spend some time in San Francisco, a city I haven't visited in over 20 years.

Party over here!

Let me know if you continue to have a problem Lotus.

I look forward to partying in San Francisco. And now I'll see if I can post this.

In preview it looks that it will.

Thanks vivs! I'm volunteering goldarngirl. ;)

FWW/TITN

60s Medley - couchie

Natural Woman (Casey)

Mandy - ldyjocelyn

Superstar (Ruben)

I'm Every Woman (Quiana)

Baby, Stay With Me Tonight? (Ruben) - goldarngirl

When I See You Smile

80s Medley - cindilu2

90s Medley - vivs

Thanks vivs! I'm volunteering goldarngirl. ;)

FWW/TITN

60s Medley - couchie

Natural Woman (Casey)

Mandy - ldyjocelyn

Superstar (Ruben)

I'm Every Woman (Quiana)

Baby, Stay With Me Tonight? (Ruben) - goldarngirl

When I See You Smile

80s Medley - cindilu2

90s Medley - vivs

:cryingwlaughter: That might be slightly less work than the ICMYLM and IWALY that I did for the Jukebox Tour eons ago. Let's hope the other version or two of this shows up. It was a lot of fun.

:GM_FCA:

A requirement of my full-time status at the Library is to take a LTA (Library Technical Assistant) Course..last night was class one...to say I was over-whelmed is an understatement...this was me about 15 minutes in :yow: Having not been in a classroom in over 30 years I felt totally lost and out of my element compared to others in my class who have taken college courses before and knew what they were doing. This is a blended class so a lot of the work is online and I did not know that you had to complete an orientation program before beginning...so I was fumbling through that while others were going ahead with other things. I also did not have my book...I was so unprepared which was probably my own fault for not checking out the course thoroughly but I think part of that was I have been so ambivalent about the course that I did not want to deal with it until I absolutely had to. So...needless to say I was almost in tears by the time I left at the work load and feeling so far behind and out of it. But then I got home; took a deep breath, got on the computer and finished my orientation, found my way around the website and completed the first introduction assignment we had to do. Did not get to bed until midnight. So I am feeling a little better about the whole thing...need to get the book and then figure out how to submit assignments. This is going to be an experience. Fortunately the instructor is really nice and helpful and really got me calmed down before I went into a full-fledged panic attack!

52 Days until The Special Chicago Concert :yahoo:

54 Days until The National Inclusion Project Gala!:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Good luck aikim! We have an LTA program in our community college, and I think you'll do fine. Learning something new is always a good thing....

From Invisible926 at the CH, sorry I don't have time to post the pictures themselves...

I know everyone is probably tired of concert pictures but these kind of woke me up. I don't know how I missed them. *g*

Livin'

La

Vie

Da

Lo

Ca