# 62: I live in Clay World. And I'm not moving!

ldyjocelyn

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think there might be bonus tracks somewhere. Whether or not there are, my copy is pre-ordered, and I'm a happy puppy as always.

Did you know Clay's career is over.........again?

How many times is this now..I've lost track!

Kim

Shall we start the count with Season 2 AI or after? :hysterical:

Looks like Clay has been reading around..just want to hug him:

QUOTE (canuck2010 @ Feb 1 2012, 08:20 PM)

clayaiken Clay Aiken

Some folks will never be satisfied with who you are and will always want you to be/do what they think you should do or be. That's sad. -(

Clay Aiken @clayaiken

I LOVE my girl Kelly, and NO ONE does that type of music as well she does. That type is NOT what I want to do though.

clayaiken Clay Aiken

Some folks will never be satisfied with who you are and will always want you to be/do what they think you should do or be. That's sad. -(

Clay Aiken @clayaiken

I LOVE my girl Kelly, and NO ONE does that type of music as well she does. That type is NOT what I want to do though.

Been reading around and some people are not happy with him calling him a ass and a cry baby. I sorry but if they can be nasty to him he has the right to state how he feels. Love him, and even though I have all the songs I will buy at least one copy to have. I bought the Playlist and had all the songs and I do put it into my CD ever once in awhile. I am so tired of people saying his career is over and that he better sing better songs. I may not like every song on the cd but love his voice!!

clayaiken Clay Aiken

Clay Aiken @clayaiken

Been reading around and some people are not happy with him calling him a ass and a cry baby. I sorry but if they can be nasty to him he has the right to state how he feels. Love him, and even though I have all the songs I will buy at least one copy to have. I bought the Playlist and had all the songs and I do put it into my CD ever once in awhile. I am so tired of people saying his career is over and that he better sing better songs. I may not like every song on the cd but love his voice!!

You know..if these people are so fucking unhappy then why don't they just leave and find some singer who will do everything they want and sing what they want..obviously Clay isn't doing it for them.

Kim

Looks like Twitter is the double edged sword I thought it would be. I don't care if he says what's on his mind. Everybody else does.

I understand that people want new. I really do. But I think if Clay wasn't doing CA we wouldn't' be getting anything at all right now let alone something new. What they are trying to do is having something for people to buy if they rediscover him during this show. He's going to be on a tv every weeks for months and they are ready to take advantage of that. I don't think it's really a "career" move or something for us. It's something to grab back people who liked him on Idol and that's all.

Haven't read the comments calling him an ass and hope I don't but I do understand fans being disappointed, and stating their disappointment. I said as much myself because I don't understand taking just some of the songs from TnT, adding BBML to it, and repackaging it. Might as well get them separate, which is what many of us have done already. Or just put out an EP.

The ones that I do have a problem with are the ones who say it's not going to sell, his career is over, etc. Basically the same ones who say it every time he does anything. Or the ones who say that nobody liked the songs on TnT because they didn't like them. Can't say that I would have picked some of the songs but he sounds wonderful on them. I was just hoping, after his blog, that there would be something on it that I didn't already have as a recorded version.

:GM_FCA:

17 Days until the premiere of Celebrity Apprentice!:yahoo:

19 Days until Clay is at Carnegie Hall!

:yahoo:

54 Days until Steadfast is available!:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I have come to the realization that you just need to let people vent for a bit and work out their feelings. If left alone, the boards would have churned over their various reactions to the track list for a day or two and then moved on. To me, the tweets came across as impulsive and poorly-timed on Clay's part.

That sentiment cuts both ways. Clay's online fans have always been highly vocal and opinionated group. Does Clay expect or want any dissenters to feel like they have to shut up or move on? If Clay wants the freedom to be who he is, he should accept that his fans need that same freedom to be who they are, which is sometimes bossy or 'negative' or whatever.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this - just wanted to offer my personal perspective on it.

It's this kind of shit that makes me want to step away from the online fandom even more than I already have. It's tiring, it's juvenile, and it's so ridiculously repetitive. Good on Clay for blogging what he did, and generating a bunch of supportive tweets (even I sent one). I hate it when the vocal few start up complaining and saying hurtful things, and make it sound like everyone feels the same way. I sure don't. I love Clay's voice, and I love everything he sings. I know I'm easy. I don't care. I still listen to TnT over and over in my car. I wouldn't listen to that style of music if anyone else sang it. I will listen to Steadfast over and over in my car. Occasionally I will replace it with ATDW (which remains my favourite Clay CD) or OMWH (my second favourite). I love putting my iPod on "All Clay" and letting it play me random stuff. I hope he continues to sing whatever feels right to him.

Is it Feb. 19th yet?

He is just sooooo cute!

And who is the guy next to him?

I've seen the name mentioned elsewhere, but I don't remember who it is. Did you notice Quiana there though too?

Looks like Twitter is the double edged sword I thought it would be. I don't care if he says what's on his mind. Everybody else does.

Yep.

I have come to the realization that you just need to let people vent for a bit and work out their feelings. If left alone, the boards would have churned over their various reactions to the track list for a day or two and then moved on. To me, the tweets came across as impulsive and poorly-timed on Clay's part.

That sentiment cuts both ways. Clay's online fans have always been highly vocal and opinionated group. Does Clay expect or want any dissenters to feel like they have to shut up or move on? If Clay wants the freedom to be who he is, he should accept that his fans need that same freedom to be who they are, which is sometimes bossy or 'negative' or whatever.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this - just wanted to offer my personal perspective on it.

First of all bc, thank you for your perspective.

I'm not sure if I'd say "poorly timed" more than "fed up" (so yeah, "impulsive" works). But I would also say that there have been fans who have asked him what he wants to do musically -- and when he says "sing songs with pretty melodies," the fans will say back "No, really -- what do you want to do?" And after a while, I think I would get tired of the exchange, and might lash out.

Yes, those fans have the freedom to be bossy or "negative." But when it happens over and over and OVER again, it just gets tiring. Should those fans move on? I honestly don't know. Granted, I know he needs fans to continue in this business...

If I applied this thing to my own life -- there is a person I work with who is constantly negative. Nothing is EVER right, whether it be with our workplace or her own personal life. I tolerate her enough to get my own work done, but for the most part, I stay the hell away from her. I don't need her poisoning my own thinking.

I do wonder if Clay feels that way sometimes.

And...just to throw caution totally to the wind...I still personally believe that he'd much rather have that talk show he's been dreaming about for years, rather than a career in music. He could still sing on the talk show, but it wouldn't be the focus. It would be his BRAIN.

This is not directed at anyone here but I have been reading around and I just want to yell, so I came here to my safe place!

I am getting so tired of some fans telling Clay what we want to hear! I am not "we"! I can think and speak for myself thank you very much and I am quite happy with what he puts out! He has not disappointed me ever and I don't expect him to in the future. It is the same old fans who think if they tell him enough time he will "get" it. Guess what he is his own man so get over it and move on!

Ah I feel so much better now. :)

Luckiest, thank you! Discussing is one thing but name calling is so rude. It also probably hurts to see one person after another talking about cancelling their cd order. I haven't even ordered yet but I do intend to order more than one. And even if I did cancel I doubt that I would post it on a board. I am very excited to hear the remastering though. As I mentioned multiple times, I really enjoy the Playlist.

Ldyj, I think Clay will always be a singer but may not record as often. I also think his number one role is Daddy. In a few years Parker will be old enough for kindergarten and he will be an even bigger part of Clay's life. I wouldn't be surprised if Clay did more local type shows or at least more things he can commute to. As always JMO.

If I applied this thing to my own life -- there is a person I work with who is constantly negative. Nothing is EVER right, whether it be with our workplace or her own personal life. I tolerate her enough to get my own work done, but for the most part, I stay the hell away from her. I don't need her poisoning my own thinking.

Do you feel like it would be a professional thing to do to lose your temper and lash out at X in a public way? Or do you accept that that is just the way X is and roll your eyes and get on with your day?

In my opinion, that's what Clay should have done: Recognize the complaining is going to happen (Opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one, especially in this fandom), so ignore it and let it burn itself out. And maybe rant offline to a friend about your pain-in-the-neck internet fans. Diving into the fray on the spur of the moment with the very people who you're trying to sell your product to when you're frustrated or hungry / tired / angry at traffic is probably not the best idea in the world. I recognize I'm being unfair and inconsistent in wishing that Clay was more tolerant of his fans' snippiness than I am of his, but he's the one with the bigger platform and his words carry more weight in the wider world than do those of some random message board posters.

Do you feel like it would be a professional thing to do to lose your temper and lash out at X in a public way? Or do you accept that that is just the way X is and roll your eyes and get on with your day?

That's true, I probably would just roll my eyes and move on. But then, I've also had people tell me that I'm TOO easy-going, and that people can easily walk over me.

Maybe that's what he should have done (and actually, I agree with you, and I wouldn't be surprised if Clay would agree with you as well). But it also shows that Clay "ain't no Jesus" and entirely human.

but he's the one with the bigger platform and his words carry more weight in the wider world than do those of some random message board posters.

If Clay were the President of the United States, I would worry about the weight of his words in the world. Since he's not...

Again, I understand your viewpoint. But I call myself the Alfred E. Newman of this fandom for a reason!

Random message board posters words holding weight? Nah. Hee.

I saw that letter on the Straight Dope last week, and laughed and laughed...

I admit, I'm more in ladyj's court on this one...if it was a regular job and you had people making personal attacks and mostly unjustified criticisms to you constantly (and it's been almost ten years of it - hell, I got sick of the whining Why won't Clay rock out like I want him to seven years ago), Clay should have some sort of recourse (HR, a supervisor). People just don't have to put up with constant, unnecessary bitching. I have to admit, I did have a co-worker who felt entitled to bitch at me about something that I felt they didn't have a right to bitch about...and I let them have it. Personally, and in great detail. It probably wasn't the most professional thing I've ever done...and I still wouldn't change my reaction. In fact, the bastard should be grateful...hopefully the memory of me going off on him will save him from an ass-kicking in the future. If they had continued, down to HR we would have marched. But Clay's career is different that a regular job. He really doesn't work for the fans, especially not a small vocal subset of fans. He really doesn't. And some have made it clear he can't make them happy. As far as I'm concerned, he gets to say that, one of the joys of being human instead of some little saintlet. If you bitch at someone, and don't expect something negative in return, and you are not in a position of authority over that someone, that's beyond naive. If Clay was out bitching first, that would be something. But he wasn't. He kept his mouth shut forever and that clearly didn't do any good; some of these people have been going on for years. Maybe they will catch a clue. But probably not.

I was reading a thread last week (again on the Straight Dope), George Lucas is taking his ball and going home, and if you think Clay is beat up by some fans, Lucas has some who want to string him up because he apparently is all that is evil with movies. Lucas say fine, no more Star Wars and they bitch about that. Some were even asking if they could take his "creation" and "fix" it since it was clear he didn't know what to do with it. Others (the ones I consider sane) mentioned a "sense of entitlement" by fans.

I still don't see the point of tweeting...it's vaguely interesting what Clay has to say, but honestly? I don't care any more about Clay's random thoughts then anybody else's. I do think it encourages a false sense of intimacy because I don't know if some random tweet was caused by a brain fart, some intern, Clay being snarky, Clay just have a crazy thought, Clay just having one sane thought among a bunch of crazy thoughts, whatever.

Yeah, I don't get the idea that it is okay for fans to bitch at Clay but he is supposed to just keep his mouth shut and take it and when he does say something..get all offended because he dared to criticize the criticizers. I am guessing this same people wouldn't take too kindly to anyone telling them how to do their job and what they should and shouldn't do to be successful at it.

Not saying fans don't have a right to their opinion or to voice it, but if they are going to voice it on a public forum like twitter and I do believe that is what Clay was responding to..than they need to expect a response in return.

Kim

I also agree that Clay had just as much right to give his opinion as everyone else. I get so annoyed at the fans who say his taste in music is crap, or how the songs on TnT are moldy oldies, or other sings do such and such so why doesn't Clay. Then there are the ones who just have to either predict the end of Clay's career for every decision he has made that didn't go along with theirs or feel they are qualified to give Clay advise on his career. Since none of them have a singing career or manage a singer, I think they should let Clay and his team decide what they are going to do.

And I can tell you what I'd do if I was around people who are negative or tell me what I should be doing, I'd stop talking to them for a few years. Worked wonders with my sisters. I have also, on occasion, let loose on someone when they've pissed me off. Sure makes me feel better.

I just feel bad for Clay because he is so proud of TnT, as he should be, and then have to read fans say how horrible they think it is or how boring. He does have feelings too. And I also agree about how irritating it is when some of those fans throw that "we" around like they are talking about all of us instead of just themselves.