#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

but...but...what was your comment and what was his comment about your comment?

NEWS FLASH! I interrupt this silly post to announce that my laptop just told me that my startup disk is almost full and I need to make room on it in order to keep filling it up with Clay Aiken! :scream:

I think I'll delete the 5G set aside for the Windows operating system...I never use it...

I can't believe how I actually jumped when that message flashed on the screen! I thought it was gonna tell me something was crashing! Yikes! I'm in the middle of a mass downloading spree---Scarlett Concert Clack!

Will y'all be shocked to know that I have no idea who either Kirk Gibson or Drew Pearson are?

Thank God!!! I thought it was just me!!

I'm hoping I'm too young instead of too old to NOT know about these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QskvtFYNXPk...ted&search=

Seriously. The DAY I became a cynic and my childhood ended. He so pushed off.

We are about the same age and are both from Minnesota. That is a day that will live in infamy.

Meesa , I'm afraid you're wasting your time with Clay, then. At least from my casual perusal of various pictures and videos of Clay, I've concluded that he is of the 'cropped' group....

Casual?? Nope, not by a long shot. I'm not buying that bull, Muski! :cryingwlaughter:

Fan club - I'm definitely going to join again, for the blogs, the presales, and the chance to win a meet & greet. Never won yet, but who knows, I just might in the next few years. So I'll keep joining. The club package is fun to get, but I haven't really used anything from it. The t shirt's too big and boxy, and the rest of the stuff is in my box of Clay stuff. If anybody wants the t shirt, just let me know. I'll be happy to share.

I listened to the recorded, itunes version of LAA yesterday, and couldn't stop. It's just sooooo gorgeous. I'd been listening to the live version recently, but once I heard the recorded version again, I was mesermized. I like both versions for different reasons. It's so impressive that Clay can sing LAA live. It's really hard to sing a slow song well and pull it off, and Clay does it. The accompanment is rather sparse for LAA, which leaves Clay's voice out there exposed; any vocal mistakes would be obvious. But that's no problem for Clay! I love how relaxed and beautiful his voice is on this song when he sings it live. I especially LURVE his vibrato - it's almost a sensuous experience to hear it, especially with good headphones!

But the recorded version has beautiful moments for different reasons. I find the production absolutely gorgeous. The instruments and Clay's voice are well-balanced. The guitar part and the ethereal electronics effects add so much. The strings are all in-tune, which isn't always the case in the live version (likely due to the heat, as Caro pointed out). The timing and harmonies are tight, creating some beautiful overtones in several places. I also like it that the tempo is just a hair faster in the recorded version; sometimes it seemed to drag just a bit in the live version. Clay's voice is gorgeous in the recording, but a bit more controlled. I really like how he gets so impassioned at the end of the last chorus on 'as hard as love can be, it's harder it still it seems.'

At any rate, I'm really glad I don't have to choose between the live and recorded versions. They are both gorgeous for different reasons. I'm looking forward to finding out which concert and recording jmh will be recommending!

GAH! Look at these hands:

Knoxville81207.jpg

ETA: Crap Wooohoooo!! I'm on the top.

Edited by Gibby

What venue did Clay sing the duet with Cherie?

Foxwoods.

Thanks CG - well my weekend is over and I didn't get anything I wanted to get done..but I can happily say the song book has been updated with the songs from Classic Medley and TV medley. I noticed Fool was missing when I was updating.

Will y'all be shocked to know that I have no idea who either Kirk Gibson or Drew Pearson are?

Oh mah goodness! I couldn't imagine what poor ol' Drew could have done! He was such a good guy, role model, etc., or those are my memories. Then I watched the youtube - thank you for providing it, JaMar. I'm so sorry that was such a horrible time for you. (It was rather celebrated where I come from!) I was a big Cowboys fan back then. In through the Michael Irwin bad behavior years, they lost me for good.

I will re-up at the fan club as fast as my little fingers and internet connection can get me there!!! Those words are pure magic and flood me with wonderful little endorphines........... HE BLOGGED! (No, not now - don't misread anyone just scrolling!) Magic little words!!! Yes indeedy. And I might get lucky in a presale sometime. And I got lucky with the M&G's. Plus those other things Muski said, like the audio message, pics, etc. I'm already looking forward to giving more of my money to Clay!! :clap:

Lordy, lordy, what I don't do for Claymates. I actually just researched Kirk and Drew because I watched the video and had no clue in hell what I was looking at.

Love all the wonderful discussion, & yup I'll re-up at the OFC faster than you can pull a greased string out of a cats ass! His blogs alone make it worth it for me. I love the conversational tone, like he's writing to a friend. I don't read the message board & it may be the only board he actually reads, so I wish it was more representative of his fans, but I can't change that. I know I have read on the boards many times that some fans think his OFC could be a wonderful PR tool for him. I think Clay is smart, so why he leaves things as is is beyond me. I still love him though.

"Pulling a greased string out of a cat's ass". Now that's a visual a westerner like me just can't wrap my mind around. I'm afraid to ask why a greased string would be in a cat's ass in the first place but I'll play if you explain it!! :cry4:

but...but...what was your comment and what was his comment about your comment?

NEWS FLASH! I interrupt this silly post to announce that my laptop just told me that my startup disk is almost full and I need to make room on it in order to keep filling it up with Clay Aiken! :scream:

I think I'll delete the 5G set aside for the Windows operating system...I never use it...

I can't believe how I actually jumped when that message flashed on the screen! I thought it was gonna tell me something was crashing! Yikes! I'm in the middle of a mass downloading spree---Scarlett Concert Clack!

Have you ever tried a travel drive? I bought a couple to load my pictures on because they took up to much of my disk space.

Great discussion today. Everything I might've said has been said and I ditched the dozen or so quotes I'd collected. Certain posters used to bug the hell out of me, but I've learned to scroll, scroll, scroll. I still get annoyed by self-professed authorities making pronouncements about Clay's career based on sheer conjecture, but I'm just as annoyed at the people who take what these so-called experts say so seriously and never seem to learn to be discerning about sources. I'm much better about the need to argue with folks or boost people's spirits. It can still get to me when I go to certain boards that have a negative slant all the time, or days on certain boards when the bitching and moaning rules. Having a place like this helps a whole lot, as optimism rules at FCA.

I noticed that there definitely is not a hive mind here today, as the opinions on this topic vary widely. I like that. Honestly, I'd prefer everyone agree with me about everything, but I'm realistic. :cryingwlaughter:

You were approached with that story. I was approached with that story. Certainly seems like somebody was serious about getting some RCA bashing into the fan buzz. Awwww, it must have been so disappointing when it fizzled. :clap:

Now, see, this is a conspiracy story I can get behind - who wanted that story out there so much? Was it just a fan famewhoring some gossip she heard or was it someone who wanted this spread?

Now that is a good question playbiller, keepingfaith. It seems that every person at the concert was filled in on this bit of gossip, and, from CG's story, it appears that at least one person took it upon herself to make sure everyone she saw had heard her particular version whether they wanted to or not. To me that is a sickness, and bad for fan morale. What was the motivation?

I was skeered, but I clicked that link jamar. I was so relieved when it was Drew. :lol: Sorry for your pain!

Knoxville81207.jpg

Ok, Knoxville is now officially my favorite venue for pictures. And look... fur!!!11 /MrsLoki

I made pie! :believeitornot: It's gooood! I didn't quite have the patience to remove the seeds from 2 quarts of grapes though, so I halved it and put apples in with the grapes. And I used whole wheat flour instead and made a lattice top... It turned out pretty good!

See?

grapepie1.jpg

Well....

DUH.

Last year I bought a big assed (at the time) 250 GB hard drive to transfer all my clack, donchaknow. Bought one for like $60, alhtough it was an internal drive. Bought an external case for it and went to work...had all kinds of trouble getting it to 'work' (too many details and if I went into them, you all would sign off and I'd get my blood pressure up again)...long story short, I gave up.

Forgot all about the damned thing. So tonight when I looked for some data disks I came across some boxes of stuff. Guess what? During all the returns and warranty claims and repair reports, etc. last year, Comp USA gave me a new external drive case (which they claimed was the problem)...and thar it sat in a file drawer!

So for the last hour or so I've been playing techie nerd and after a number of fuckups, I DID it! I am now copying about 40 GB of CLACK onto my new external disk drive entitled CLACK PACKAGE!

:clap:

Damn, I'm good! :cryingwlaughter:

I made pie! It's gooood! I didn't quite have the patience to remove the seeds from 2 quarts of grapes though, so I halved it and put apples in with the grapes. And I used whole wheat flour instead and made a lattice top... It turned out pretty good!

See?

YSRN....damn you! What the hell's the problem here? Why the hell would you make a pie (an incredibly gorgeous one, too) late at night when I can't get down there and back in time to get to work in the morning?

<_<:angry::argument::what_d_fuck::onsoapbox:

Oh.

You say you can't answer right now because you have company?

Couchie's there? :blink:

Oh.

muski slinks away filled with familiar feelings from high school....

B)B) Just kidding, of course. :cryingwlaughter:

Except for the damned pie thing. I want some. Make another and tell me when it's still daylight, okay? Pweaze? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

That pie looks damn good.

Muski..you crack me up. Yay for the hard drive package..

I too wonder why RCA is sending faxes and not say calling Jerome or Mary or whatever or even the venue. Oh wait they FAXED Clay too? heee. Cracks me up. And why people would be angry and intent on spreading this right when the man of their affection is a few minues away. Why is this the focus and why are they spoiling other's people's nights. Where is the damn perspective. I think my eyes would have rolled right out of my head just because of the buzz kill aspect, and that's just for starters. I would really like to know who started this one..

I noticed that there definitely is not a hive mind here today, as the opinions on this topic vary widely. I like that. Honestly, I'd prefer everyone agree with me about everything, but I'm realistic.

:cryingwlaughter:

I feel that the ones who constantly post criticisms usually do it to bait others since they usually do it and then sit back and watch the hysteria ensue. Pitiful.

Yup - it's obvious they enjoy the reaction, so why don't people learn to just ignore it?

]For every fan who sees lost oppportunities in a phantom album, there's probably a record exec who sees lost opportunities in forgoing a Mother's Day '06 album release.

Um, yeah. Especially when there's a big TV appearance scheduled around then too, on a show that gets huge ratings and whose the viewership is prediposed to know and like you. I fully support the decision to wait and do a better job than some toss-off, but I also see the exec's POV.

I need to see these again. I flove the way he looks in these!!

050901_AtlanticCity_MotownMedley1_Scarle

050901_AtlanticCity_MotownMedley1_Scarle

050901_AtlanticCity_ANMHE_Scarlett_01110

A most interesting article/Rick Rubin interview posted by walkiki in the Industry News thread at the CH:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/magazine...amp;oref=slogin

It's looooonnnnnggggg and I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I love Rick Rubin and he's always a good read. I suppose there is a thread somewhere around here that this should go in, eh? I'll go look in a bit, but I wanted to get this post done eventually.

I highly recommend this article for anyone who wants a better-rounded look at the industry that the one the Clay Nation's pundits have given us.

I made pie! :believeitornot: It's gooood! I didn't quite have the patience to remove the seeds from 2 quarts of grapes though, so I halved it and put apples in with the grapes. And I used whole wheat flour instead and made a lattice top... It turned out pretty good!

See?

grapepie1.jpg

WOW, that's purdy!!

Finally finished reading the fascinating posts. my, my y'all been busy. very interesting convo yesterday and today.

I am a very laid back fan. I love what clay offers me as a fan. he sells me tees and stuff, I buy, he sells me CDs, I buy, he sells me tickets to his concerts, I buy, he tells me to support causes near and dear to him, I support with open mind and open heart and not to exclude my wallet.

Why do I do these things, It is simple really, it's because he makes me happy. He brought so much joy to my life. I went to places I woudn't have gone if not for him. He tells me to renew OFC , I am more than willing to do so. Because in exchange, I get to read his blog and I get to respond to him. I get to see what he is thinking of and what he is doing directly from him. He may not tell me all but, I get a glimpse of what is keeping him busy.

I do care about him and his endeavors. For all the joy he brought into my life , I will continue to support him. I get so much in return.

Good night everyone.

Great discussion today. Everything I might've said has been said and I ditched the dozen or so quotes I'd collected. Certain posters used to bug the hell out of me, but I've learned to scroll, scroll, scroll. I still get annoyed by self-professed authorities making pronouncements about Clay's career based on sheer conjecture, but I'm just as annoyed at the people who take what these so-called experts say so seriously and never seem to learn to be discerning about sources. I'm much better about the need to argue with folks or boost people's spirits. It can still get to me when I go to certain boards that have a negative slant all the time, or days on certain boards when the bitching and moaning rules. Having a place like this helps a whole lot, as optimism rules at FCA.

Now, see, this is a conspiracy story I can get behind - who wanted that story out there so much? Was it just a fan famewhoring some gossip she heard or was it someone who wanted this spread?

Now that is a good question playbiller, keepingfaith. It seems that every person at the concert was filled in on this bit of gossip, and, from CG's story, it appears that at least one person took it upon herself to make sure everyone she saw had heard her particular version whether they wanted to or not. To me that is a sickness, and bad for fan morale. What was the motivation?

I don't think I ever bought anything I didn't want to buy. (stoopid husband and the time-share thingy not included) I think some fans NEED a boogieman....someone to attach blame if Clay's career doesn't move in the direction they want or expect. Someone to put blame on if he acts in a manner they hadn't pictured. I think some fans want to buy RCA and Clive as the boogieman, and since, for whatever reason, that fills a need in their psyche, I don't think those kind of rumors will ever go away. Chances are, if he had changed labels, those same people would have attached all of what they perceive as negative onto that new label as well.

YSRN...damn! Will that thing ship do you think? :hubbahubba: (talking about the pie!)

What do you mean it's all gone already?

Happy Birthday merrieeee! Hope it's a great one!! :)

Edited by laughn

Good Morning Everyone:

52 Days until Clay is Live at Lincoln Center! :whoohoo:

63 Days until Clay Tapes The Skating Special! :whoohoo:

83 Days until The Christmas Tour Starts! :whoohoo:

109 Days until Christmas in Merrillville! :whoohoo:

112 Days until The Skating Special Airs! :whoohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim