#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

Oh my. After looking at that gif I posted for merriee's birthday present, I had to go download that Letterman performance of Invisible.

What FUN! He looked SO good that night...loved the outfit...and while he sang he was doing that foot twist thingy he does with those big ole' feet and he hopped and did a mini-shirt tug and he growled and touched his temple when he sang "in my mind" and...oh, it was soooooo fun to see him that way again...he was so slim and the angles of his face were :hubbahubba: and he was....

sigh...I remember all the commotion about being able to see some actual definition in his chest in that turtleneck!

BWAH!

I'd FLOVE to see him in that turtleneck sweater NOW! YOWZA! :Thud:

ETA: posted on CH by Notacanuck from a blog she stumbled onto:

And then of course, the Clay song was uploaded when we found out a friend of ours had his demo. Random note, Clay once hit on that friend of ours, and gave her his phone number. Of course, before he hit the big time. She lost his number.

GAWD.

That's hot. (tmParisHilton) :Thud:

Edited by muskifest

Oh I am having the bestest birthday! Look at all the wonderful prezzies I am getting!!! Thank you one and all!

It is really special of you not to post "that" picture*g* (You like me, you really like me!TM SF)

If the 12.01am is Eastern Standard time, then I shall probably still be awake...you know how us old people are. Besides who could sleep with visions of those sugar plums dancing in my head?

<snip>

Regarding the fanclub, I'm in the group who wants to show support for Clay in anyway my pocket book will allow I guess. I think last year there was an option of renewing for 2 years and I think I did that. Yep, the blogs are worth it for me. The message board, I've never been able to navigate it very successfully, and whenever any one posts about a dicussion going on over there, I can never find it. Yes, ingnorance is bliss.I don't think I could ever attach a dollar amount to the joy Clay gives me, so the unworn tee shirts, a few extra CDs here and there, a concert when possible and the membership to his fanclub seems like a fair exchange. Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.

Fear, thanks for the overview of the JT concert on HBO. I think he is a talented young man, but not one who causes me to open my heart or my pocketbook.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask for opinions on something. Clay jokes at his concerts and in interviews about taking the same 3000 to 5000 fans with him everywhere. How many people do you really feel are multiple concert goers, say 3 or more per tour? I just thought that might be a fun topic.

atinal, I think the two-year thingie was a common misconception at renewal time. What it said was 'renew for year two', not 'renew for two years'. *g* Honest.

There are some tours I've only seen once (AI2 and JNT04) and this latest one I saw an amazing (to me) seven times. (Seven. Seven. SEVEN!!!!!!!! [tm Monica Gellar]). I think his shtick about the same 3000 fans is just that - shtick. But the same few dozen (maybe hundred) in the front rows - that I can and do believe.

I would imagine about half of his audience are multiple concert goer within the region. I think there may be a handful hardcore *cougheHPcough* that would fly from one region to another...these may be a couple of hundred???

of course there is absolutely nothing scientific in my guesstimates.

If I had to hazard a rough guess, I would put the multiple show-goers at maybe 300 to 500, but certainly much less than 1,000. I think they're just very exuberant on the boards, loud in concert, and noticeable in the front rows, so it makes it seem like more of them.

:DoClay:

I base my estimate on eyeballing the average size of the representing lists at CH and CV, and extrapolating like crazy. That in no way includes all multiple concert-goers, especially the non-board ones.

Oh I am having the bestest birthday! Look at all the wonderful prezzies I am getting!!! Thank you one and all!

It is really special of you not to post "that" picture*g* (You like me, you really like me!TM SF)

If the 12.01am is Eastern Standard time, then I shall probably still be awake...you know how us old people are. Besides who could sleep with visions of those sugar plums dancing in my head?

Sugar plums? Is that what we're calling them now? Okay, I'll think about dancing sugar plums, too.

186441439_5527.jpg

merrieeee, darling, have the happiest of birthdays. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:partytime2: :7252: I guess that makes me a year younger than you now, right? :eusa_whistle:

If I had to hazard a rough guess, I would put the multiple show-goers at maybe 300 to 500, but certainly much less than 1,000.

This seems right to me... but of course it's not the same folks..300-500 - regions do play a part.

This reminds me of a bit of banter I just listened to yesterday....not sure what concert it came from, but Clay comments to the audience "most of you have driven, what, 7 hours to come to one of these before?" Heh, he knows that there is a contingent who will travel to whatever concerts are within a day's drive. That definitely includes me. :RedGuy: Of course, then you have those who don't have a concert within a day's drive, who will fly out. Further to that, you have those who will do both. Hee, me again, finances be damned. :P

FYI, for anyone who is a fan of farouche's fanfic, there is a new chapter up at CV for Somewhere Out There Part II. :clap:

Happy Birthday, merrieeee!!!

Edited by luckiest1

I don't think I ever bought anything I didn't want to buy. (stoopid husband and the time-share thingy not included) I think some fans NEED a boogieman....someone to attach blame if Clay's career doesn't move in the direction they want or expect. Someone to put blame on if he acts in a manner they hadn't pictured. I think some fans want to buy RCA and Clive as the boogieman, and since, for whatever reason, that fills a need in their psyche, I don't think those kind of rumors will ever go away. Chances are, if he had changed labels, those same people would have attached all of what they perceive as negative onto that new label as well.

Laughn. You are wise. Not saying RCA and Clive are in any way perfect - I've found him creepy since the double platinum surprise, and it would be so much nicer if big busines actually cared about the artist's growth, but it sure is easier to just blame them for everything. And it's not just about them not doing a great job for Clay but actively sabatoging him on every little thing. TAMPAX being a prime example heee. I find people who espouse that extreme so tend not to trust anything they say.

AIKim - I appreciate the countdowns.

Waves at Fear.

Note to self, don't mess with Jamar, she keeps talking about beingpassive agressive in a very agressive way - I am missing the passive part

Bwah..this really cracked me up. I met Jamar during the Calif4fer and I'm so glad. But it was funny to me that she is labeled as passive agressive cuz I've never seen that side of her at all. I can understand it though as I got quite good at calling someone stupid without calling them stupid. TWoP was good for something. Knowing that I would start using TWoP tactics on Clay boards thus making things all that much worse was a determining factor in just backing out. In the convo over the weekend I see others acknowleged taking a look at themselves as well. And yep writing something out and hitting backspace works!!

Happy Birthday Merrieeee!!

ETA: No havent read the Ruben article yet..the 10 pages scared me heh. But will tonight since it comes so highly recommended. To be honest, not normally a person that cares about the business part of stuff.

Yeah Lucky if I fly across the country I need to see at least 3 shows. I could never fly across the country for 1. That's why figuring out xmas is so hard. Looks like 2 will have to be max this year.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MERRIEEEE :F_05BL17blowkiss:

:00003653: :partytime: :fest30: :bier: :partytime2::partytime2::partytime2: :bday2:

Thanks to whoever brought over the link to the Rick Rubin article. That is an awesome article. I can't believe no one is discussing it. Ansamcw-couchie-jennaz have you read that? I can remember posting, ad nauseum, that the best advertising in the world was word of mouth and it is free. Rubin talks about that, and how to set it up. Of course those with their endless wisdom, for those of us not in the marketing know, would always find something wrong with other's opinions. I loved his idea about doing music subscriptions. He said what many of us have already been preaching. Radio is a goner. Labels are behind the times. It's a whole new ballgame in the music industry and radio is no longer the way to get your single heard. More and more TV is being utilized. Rollingstone, MTV, radio, which used to be the mainstays for getting music out to people, are all bygone eras. You can't make careers doing things the old way. Great reading. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Clayzorback

I saw discussion of the word 'unconditional' - and it was a little freaky, because I had just updated my siggy. It's always been 'unconditional' but I added that other bit, and I swear it was before this discussion. No monkey! *g* When I say my support for Clay as an artist and as a man is unconditional, I mean it. I honestly can't think of anything within the realm of possibility that would turn me away from him. I feel he's shown us enough of himself over these past four years to state with confidence that the things that would end it for me are not within that realm.

Not in musical choices, for I love to hear his voice. When the lyrics have meaning for me, he touches my soul. When they don't, he transcends them and I am still left with that glorious sound. I'm not religious, so things like YWT or GN are not an altar call for me. They are magnificent in that I see him in his element, and I don't think anybody would argue that when he sings those songs, there is something special there.

Not in career choices, for I believe there are no boundaries to his talent, and I hope, no limits to his dreams. TV? Movies? Theatre? All good. Bring it on, Clay.

Not in lifestyle choices, for as long as he loves and is loved in return I wish only happiness for him.

And if he chucked it all and went back to 'real life' tomorrow? Well, after I cried for about a year, and offered up sacrifices to whatever deities I could think of to get him to come back, I'd still support him. Because as inexplicable as it is (even to myself), I really do love him.

So yes, I can keep my signature down there and not feel the slightest bit of hypocrisy about it.

:clap: I can so relate.

But the recorded version has beautiful moments for different reasons. I find the production absolutely gorgeous. The instruments and Clay's voice are well-balanced. The guitar part and the ethereal electronics effects add so much. The strings are all in-tune, which isn't always the case in the live version (likely due to the heat, as Caro pointed out). The timing and harmonies are tight, creating some beautiful overtones in several places. I also like it that the tempo is just a hair faster in the recorded version; sometimes it seemed to drag just a bit in the live version. Clay's voice is gorgeous in the recording, but a bit more controlled. I really like how he gets so impassioned at the end of the last chorus on 'as hard as love can be, it's harder it still it seems.'

Oh dear, this made me go and feel all inadequate and shit. I don't know nuttin' 'bout music. I read this and think, "There were guitars? Electronics? Overtones? A tight harmony? Sounds durrty to me. " And I still don't know what a 'producer' does. Besides sell raffle tickets at BAF fundraisers, that is. All I'm capable of discerning is that Clay sings purdy and gives all these shivery feelings and I likes it.

And in a way I like it like that. I wish I could carry on a semi-intelligent discussion about making music, or at least be able to fake it. But I like to feel music, rather than think about it. I'm constantly impressed with the ladies here and how knowledgable y'all are about so many different things, and it does make me feel inept sometimes. Which is why I'll just stick with crotch pictures and be happy.

Even still, I'll probably listen to MOAM with renewed interest and attention now and see if I can pick out some of those harmonies and overtones. :allgood:

To the very merry Merieeee5f371bf7.gif

I actually wander over there from time to time, but have found I am more likely to post and emoticon than a comment in some discussions. We really need more sunny threads over there, the one thing about the fandom is that people can be very funny.

:clap: Such an excellent way of stating it. I'll have to tuck that away for future use. Most of the angst and board wars have been started by emotional posts rather than stating of opinions.

I tried to do the multiple quote thingy, but my computer hates FCA, apparently. So Happy Birthday to Merrieeeeee!!! You have fun doin' The Earl today, and tell us about it when you come up for air.

But the recorded version has beautiful moments for different reasons. I find the production absolutely gorgeous. The instruments and Clay's voice are well-balanced. The guitar part and the ethereal electronics effects add so much. The strings are all in-tune, which isn't always the case in the live version (likely due to the heat, as Caro pointed out). The timing and harmonies are tight, creating some beautiful overtones in several places. I also like it that the tempo is just a hair faster in the recorded version; sometimes it seemed to drag just a bit in the live version. Clay's voice is gorgeous in the recording, but a bit more controlled. I really like how he gets so impassioned at the end of the last chorus on 'as hard as love can be, it's harder it still it seems.'

Oh dear, this made me go and feel all inadequate and shit. I don't know nuttin' 'bout music. I read this and think, "There were guitars? Electronics? Overtones? A tight harmony? Sounds durrty to me. " And I still don't know what a 'producer' does. Besides sell raffle tickets at BAF fundraisers, that is. All I'm capable of discerning is that Clay sings purdy and gives all these shivery feelings and I likes it.

And in a way I like it like that. I wish I could carry on a semi-intelligent discussion about making music, or at least be able to fake it. But I like to feel music, rather than think about it. I'm constantly impressed with the ladies here and how knowledgable y'all are about so many different things, and it does make me feel inept sometimes. Which is why I'll just stick with crotch pictures and be happy.

Even still, I'll probably listen to MOAM with renewed interest and attention now and see if I can pick out some of those harmonies and overtones. :allgood:

Aw, Bookwhore, I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable about many things than I! Like books, maybe? And other things, too, I'm sure. I just happen to lurve listening to and performing music. Gives me a thrill. So I'm sorry that reading my post made you feel inept. I think the most important thing you posted was what I bolded - you like to feel the music, rather than think about it. That's wonderful! Sometimes I wish I could do the same, but sometimes my mind starts analyzing what's going on in the music before I even know it's happening. Anyway, I think Clay needs fans who enjoy music in a variety of ways. Vive la differance!! It's good that we all come from different places, and have different ways of enjoying our fandom, 'cuz it's a whole lot more interesting that way!

And don't tell Muski that you found part of my post kinda durrty. She wouldn't agree. :tongue09:

Clayzor...yup I read it...

Very interesting...I totally bristled at the idea that the label might try to take half of concert revenues from the artist...are they nuts!!! I think if they want some income from the concerts they should work on the idea of instant live DVD's or cds and sell that in the venue.

The subscription idea is difficult to imagine. I just can't see how it will make enough money with out resorting to commercials and corporate sponsorships.

Now on Rubin...I like his focus on the artist and I can basically agree...but I hope he is not the only one that will decide on new music. I just have a hard time believing that he would have a broad enough taste that he can fin music that would appeal to a large segment of the population. But I find him fascinating and the fact that he produced the Dixie Chicks...is exciting to me...cos that means he has some connection with Clay...what degree of seperation is that...hee

I do agree with him that the old system is obsolete. The change will have to be across the board. Columbia is under the same umbrella as RCA...To me Clive seem to represent the old system. So I wonder which one will eventually prevail.

188313350-O.jpg
:hubbahubba:

THOSE GORGEOUS HANDS!

I had a ton of posts quoted - there's been some great ones here over the weekend - but I saw those hands and all my brain cells started to vibrate and now I can hardly type!

~

Regarding the OFC, I'll join again. I seldom post or read the MB but, when I have the time, I love the blogs - both writing my own and reading others. Especially Clay's blog!