#22: Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should

ldyjocelyn

Thread title poll  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should be our next poll title???

• Lordy. He is one more hunkalicious dude!
    • Brown hair and red hair and blonde hair, OH MY!
    • Is He Harboring Weapons of Mass Seduction?
    • "God help us with the dancing part."
    • I love the new hair, and the hair from last week, and the hair from next week.
    • I can pretend he's the little Shetland pony I wanted to play with as a child.
    • He is a man of many parts and all of them can park on my couch anytime!!!
    • When I pushed the Clay button, his voice pushed all of mine.

The pics tonight..........GAH!!!!!

Love the glasses, love the hair, love the singing, love the man!

I think the glasses make him look sooooo sexy and intelligent!!!!

GAH again!!!!!

Speaking of pictures.....

Ok, so you know how I said I wasn't happy with his look?

Well, my lurking friend took some FABULOUS pictures and has agreed to share one with FCA (and you have no idea what a rarity this is!).

Ladies, I present MR. TOO SEXY FOR HIS GLASSES!

ClayAiken_Albany_071207031_2.jpg

Finally home and in my jammies after another great night at merrieeee's, who should more accurately have a few more eeee's added on! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

And now for Mr. Sweet Lips in the Dark:

clay24.jpg

Yes, all is well, Darlin' ...

clay23.jpg

and Smooth as Silk:

clay13.jpg

GAWD! Who is he looking AT! ---

clay10.jpg

His Hot Lips singing about winter and snow:

clay9.jpg

Time for me to pass out ...

clay7.jpg

But just for the record, I'll take him with glasses, and without glasses. No problem either way:

SouthBend226739991-L-1.jpg

merrieeeeeeeeeeeee dearly wants to see those glasses come off ...... in her presence, of course! KAndre, when I started the car what did I hear but the Police singing you know what. And sweet Scarlett, pretty in pink, as ever.

Why are my eyes still open?

Hair - it was NOT Tyra hair. It was NOT like it was last Christmas. It was more like pictures of him from junior high! Between that and the glasses, he really looked like he was embracing his inner nerd. Not his best look.

Au contraire.....the nerdier, the better, IMO. :hubbahubba:

:lol: Hee. You're not my twin today.

Cuz. Holy Shit... this picture is :hubbahubba: Even with his glasses.

ClayAlbany8_filtered.jpg

OMG, this picture literally made me gasp. Holy shit is right!

I don't like him being so far removed from the audience (the peanut gallery here just said "of course not, especially since I have had two front row seats! And there is something to what she said.... But remember - I am shallow!).

I really think that this show is better appreciated from further back. I am not sure that you can get the full gist of it sitting up front. I had awesome 5th row in Kalamazoo, which was just far enough back and to the side to afford me a full body view of Clay, and I'm not too sure what kind of angle I'm going to get in Erie from 3rd row against the side wall, but I am really looking forward to sitting in row P in Merrillville (which translates to 7 + 16 = 23rd row), to experience the whole show. Sure, I'll bring binocs so I can see Mr. SexyPant's expressions, but I want to see it as it was intended to be seen - everyone on stage together, doing their part to make the show special.

I appreciate what he is trying to do. I just don't think it works. He could still accomplish what he wanted and bring in a wee bit of his personality.

I just miss Clay.

I understand what you are saying, but IMO, this is Clay. Just a different aspect of his personality. May not be the part you like the best, but it is 100% Clay, through and through. His personality is front and centre.

Wow, this is the place to be this morning. Love the pictures and comments. Let me add my 2 cents. Holy, Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clay, you got it going on, dude. Wow!!! I love the jazzy stuff. I could listen to him do that all night. I love the Spamalot pamphlets. You know , Spamalot is a big deal for Clay. Go Clay. I've never seen Clay look more all together. That beautiful tailored suit fits him perfectly. The hair, there are no words. His voice is coutstanding and he looks healthy and happy. Honestly, that's all I want for him. Everything!!!!

The hair, the hair, the hair--OMGoodness, the cheekbones, the vox. My fangirl is out of control.

Report from Lilyshine & Pookle about Albany.

I'll let Pookle go first.

Well... I have to say, he looked amazingly hawt, and I lurved the hair, and I even smiled and enjoyed most of the first half of the show. But claygasm is NOT shallow, I think most of her post is spot on

..... I miss the part of Clays personality that shines. That exudes joy. That moves me to the point I have no choice but to exude giddiness and joy by proxy. And then go forth and try to infect my coworkers and family. Resistance is futile!

It was not there last night. I was, for the first time ever, underwhelmed and sad by the end (This excludes All is Well- which was fantastic)

Not only was the verbal interaction with the audience removed, but he was physically removed too: standing behind a piano and up on a box. I realize this was on purpose, for reverence, or what not, but it just left me.... cold.

I wasn't able to connect to the emotion at all. To be fair, I'm not one that enjoys connecting to that type of 'schmoopie I love baby Jesus' emotion anyway, especially not for 2 hours straight with no break.

Sits back and waits patiently to be entertained by Clay. It's what I've grown to know and love, and expect.

I've taken so long, lilyshine is in the shower and will post later!. Pooks.

Here I am, wet hair and all! Lilyshine speaking from now on.

First set: A-/B+

Second set: B-/C

I enjoyed the first half- went quickly and sounded great - with the exception of WTOW. I really, really, really didn't like the spoken version. I was so disappointed as I was looking forward to hearing this live. Sorry, no stars at all from me for this version.

The second set was sloooow, sloooooower and slooooooowest. I didn't connect at all. I never thought I'd ever say this about a Clay concert, but I was getting bored. I hated the way he spoke the beginning of MGUCL. I hope that Clay is just trying out this spoken, not sung, thing and drops it fast. I'm not a fan of it at all.

DSIAFCD underwhelmed me but did breathe some life back into the concert. All is Well was superb. No screams at all during the penultimate "all is well" which really worked to set up the end. First time I've heard it live without screams spoiling the flow. Loved it!

Taken as a whole, I missed the joy and fun that usually radiates from Clay no matter what he is singing. At this point, I think I'll go to my second concert, but if there's snow, I might not bother.

Sorry for all the spoken WTOW lovers

Allrighty then. I didn't dislike the 'dead' stories. I loved the presentation. I love his artistry and his guts in trying new things (if he 'spoke' to me like that, I'd just keel over dead on the spot). He's a beautiful man, and he doesn't have to be a cookie cutter for me to appreciate it. And I love having, keeping and re-watching Clack, so I lose the 'I have the least Clack' contest. I think I'll go check out that sky again.

Have a nice weekend, y'all.

I guess this is going to be "vive le difference" day here at FCA....

Shallow part out of the way first -- I simply lurve the glasses, but I actually prefer the bangs at this point. From all the pictures I've seen, I think I would say New Brunswick was the best look so far.

WOTW -- pookle and lilyshine, I'll accept your apology. I went and watched WOTW from last night, and was simply stunned by what I see as the emotion he put into it. I've always thought of Clay as a fantastic song stylist, and to me, THAT'S adding his heart and soul to a song. Sometimes full blown "singing" doesn't need to be done to express what he feels.

I agree with luckiest1 that this is a show that needs to be seen from at least a few rows back, and I think that may bother some that always seem to have front row. At this point, I am still looking for upgrades for Merrillville, but within the first 5 or 10 rows. I think that will be optimal seating for this show.

As for the show itself, I totally understand what CG and others are saying when they say they miss "entertainer" Clay. I love him when he's goofy and silly and is having a fantastic time on stage. Having said that...well, I wrote something about the JNT 2005 that a few people PM'd me later and said "ITA," and I think it applies again this year to this show.

I wrote on December 9, 2005:

I have this theory about Clay not being front and center for this show. To me, he's trying to say "look around you, there's joy everywhere." In other words, sometimes people tend to get caught up in the forrest for the trees -- by focusing totally on him, some fans ignore the larger picture, IMO. I also REALLY think he's trying to say "yes, I know my name is on the ticket...but I'm not the reason for the season. My family and friends -- they are what are important to me, and I'll share them with you. Take a look around and find that joy with your family and friends at this time of year." To me, I find his selflessness wonderful, and admire him for it.

With the show this year, I'd also add that his faith is another thing that's massively important to him, and he's trying to share it. He got flack for sharing it at a pop concert a few years ago, but IMO he can try it again through a Christmas show.

*waits for stones*

Ooooo, one more thing, I almost forgot. There's been several discussions over the years about whether Clay is an artist. I always thought so, but I'd definitely say "yes" now, for one big reason -- he's gotten us TALKING about this show. Love it or hate it, we're talking about it. Good art stirs up high emotions, IMO. Seems to have worked this time.

Good Morning All,

14 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

17 Days until The Skating Special Airs!

30 Days until The BAF Golf Outing!

41 Days until Clay is on Broadway!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

..... I miss the part of Clays personality that shines. That exudes joy. That moves me to the point I have no choice but to exude giddiness and joy by proxy. And then go forth and try to infect my coworkers and family. Resistance is futile!

It was not there last night. I was, for the first time ever, underwhelmed and sad by the end (This excludes All is Well- which was fantastic)

Not only was the verbal interaction with the audience removed, but he was physically removed too: standing behind a piano and up on a box. I realize this was on purpose, for reverence, or what not, but it just left me.... cold.

I wasn't able to connect to the emotion at all. To be fair, I'm not one that enjoys connecting to that type of 'schmoopie I love baby Jesus' emotion anyway, especially not for 2 hours straight with no break.

Sits back and waits patiently to be entertained by Clay. It's what I've grown to know and love, and expect.

I'm not trying to pick on your post necessarily, but I'm using it as an example of lots of posts that I've read around the boards since the beginning of this tour.

I think it's sad when fans 'expect' Clay to entertain them in any certain way (or even look a certain way), instead of being able to enjoy him trying out new things with an open mind, and no preconceived notions of what the show should be like or how he should wear his hair or whether or not he should wear his glasses. Of course, we all have our favourite aspects of Clay - there's Goofy!Clay! and Teacher!Clay! and GloryNote!Clay! and Reverent!Clay! and a myriad of other incarcerations of Clay. To me, he is giving us a new piece of himself this year, one that we haven't quite seen before, and I treasure it. I'm sure that on other tours, we'll see other sides of his personality. So I guess it's good that you are patient, because I'm sure the part you love the most will show up again soon!

I think I'll go decorate the Christmas tree while listening to....you guessed it....clack. :XmasRed:

As for the show itself, I totally understand what CG and others are saying when they say they miss "entertainer" Clay.

I understand that, too. I loved it, but as I've said before, I think it takes an adjustment. I've been thinking about why that is. As much as I enjoyed the show, there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on that felt unsettling. It's not the religious thing. I'm fine with that. He calls the tour Christmas in the Heartland, not Happy Holidays with Clay. Christmas. Birth of Jesus Christ. No matter what your belief system, you have to know it will have religious songs. And truly, I don't even notice the difference between the religious and secular songs. It's all just music to me. It's not the staging, which I think is elegant and very effective. It's not Clay's singing, which is sublime. Truly breathtaking at times (although, I'm not crazy about spoken rather than sung, either, really). It's not the lack of banter. We've had that before (the vignette show). It's not the orchestration, which I think works really well. Jesse did a great job, although I miss the old arrangement of O Holy Night, and think that the Jingle Bells piece in the Jazzy Medley is a miss - doesn't feel like Clay to me, not comfortable to me as the person watching. It's not even Clay's stillness, although I miss his energy. I can imagine how hard it is for him to be constrained like that, but I think it works. Here's what I think it is: Clay's face is impassive when he's not singing. Even though he's often in the dark when he's not singing, my attention is still drawn to him, and it's disconcerting not to see any emotion in his face. I know it's designed that way, and I don't dislike it, it just takes an adjustment. He turns toward the girls when they sing, and the readers when they tell their stories, but you can't see any enjoyment of their performance on his face, or any reaction, really - so unlike his usual animation. When there's an instrumental section in a song he's doing, and he stops singing, it's as if he emotionally checks out of the song. I know he doesn't, but it looks that way. When he sings, the emotional engagement is total. You see joy, fun, reverence, warmth, amusement, happiness. It's all there, but only when he sings, and it just feels..... different.

That's my theory.

I wish I were going again. :cry4:

hmmmmmm.... Easton is only an hour and a half drive......

*waits for stones*

Well none from me. And gosh, I hope none from anyone else. We should all be able to say what we think without having to dodge cyber projectiles :)

I wasn't here to read what you wrote about the JNT 2005 but I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. I've always felt that the annual Christmas shows are his way of staying grounded in his career. This year I did feel from the very beginning of the first set that this was, by design, a more serious, reverent, polished, artistic show. Last year we got "seat of his pants Clay" and this year we got just the opposite. Clay doesn't seem to like to remain static. If this show isn't your cup of tea I'm betting that Mr. Personality will be back in full force for something else. I got a feeling when he wrote about "reminding people that he could actually sing..." that there may be a deliberate attempt* with the new CD coming out to put more of the focus back on his voice.

*Disclaimer...I am in no way trying NOT to use a certain fan buzz word that starts with n...... :imgtongue:

And personally I thought he ooozed joy and personality that night in Wichita. Others, apparently didn't see that and that's ... okay. [tm Stuart Smalley] I don't always see Waldo either, most of the time I think it's just a fold. Hee.

---

Crap...it took me so long to type and edit and re-edit (*g*) this post that I forgot to say :nana: for Gibby getting her tickets to Omaha!

And I really love the hair from last night. Very much like my avi hair :wub: which as you know was a one timer. Hee.

---

egads...edited for clarity

and spelling....*sigh*

I will start by saying I have not seen this show and only watched bits and pieces of it...but...I have to think that the staging was definitely thought out and agreed upon. No one really knows what Clay's vision of this show is/was and I can't assume that he liked the "banter heavy" concert of last year better than what he's doing for this one.

To be quite honest, I thought he was truly losing control of the show last year and it lost its meaning. I know he had gone through a whole bunch of shit and some of the off the cuff remarks probably eased some frustration and tension but...sometimes I thought he went too far. There is a time and place for giddy, giggling, banter filled with fart jokes...I, personally, don't think it has a place in a Christmas show. IMHO.

I am not sure I would consider this a concert as much as I would a show...I think there's a difference.

Clay always looks good to me. What amazed me today was how normal he looks with glasses on and how different he looks in the pictures without the glasses.

I come froma slightly different direction. I don't feel I have to like anything just because it is Clay. But I go to Clay concerts like I go to most, I go to be entertained, and everything over that is a plus. I get a lot of plusses with Clay.

When I go to a concert by someone else, I don't really know what to expect. The worst concert I have ever been to was a Paul Simon concert. For reasons I don't understand, he cheaped out the concert. He came out on the stage with a boom box and a guitar. Well, that could mean it would be an intimate accoustic cponcert, but it wasn't. It was in a lage 10K venue. And the boom box signified that the music was recorded. When he pushed the button, the music started, and he sang. He never stopped and said anything, he never really looked into the audience, and I might as well have been listening to a recording, since everything was arranged like on his albums, actually, the music seemed like music minus voice from the album. Now Paul Simon is not a great singer, so this just did not do anything for me. I got more pleasure from going to the free local Elvis imposter show (he had a police car deliver him to the stage with lights flashing!) screaming out songs for him to sing and his interaction with the band or going to a Jimmy (much maligned by Clay fans for some unknown reason) Sturr concert. I felt like Simon was being forced to do a concert against his will, a waste of a lot of money for nothing.

So when I go to see Clay, I go in not knowing what to expect (even after watching clack), except having a belief that I will be entertained. I think it is because Clay very carefully thinks everything out, including containing himself on a podium. First year, it was the children and symphonies (worked out for most, but it only takes a few bad apples...), the next year there was a professional troupe, Last year was not really under Clay's control, and this year, the entertainment was all music.

Last year, I think it was about not really being prepared to have a show. Remember, he was replacing someone who cancelled their tour, and some more dates were added to make it worth while. It was less like a vision and Clay was only on for half the show. As I recall, there were many people unhappy because they only got half a show of Clay. (Not as many as would have been unhappy if that one planner had gotten their way and staged a mini kids show, cutting down Clay even more) And with Clay being a guest performer, I doubt he got paid enough to drag around his "people" or do that many arrangements. There was just not enough music. trudges off to look at last years short set list

*HUGS* to Lilyshine and Pookle. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show more. And thanks for being honest about what you thought!

I wish I were going again. :cry4:

hmmmmmm.... Easton is only an hour and a half drive......

What? Only an hour and a half? Amateur! I'm driving 8 hours to see him in Omaha! Heeeee.

:nana: for Gibby getting her tickets to Omaha!

It will be great to see you again, jamar! And BW , Couchie,, Meesa and Puddins, too. I think Scarlett and KAndre are going to Omaha, too, and I've never met either of them. I'm soooo looking forward to this concert!

Some opinions theories and thoughts:

Maybe Clay is wearing his glasses for other reasons rather than "having a wonky eye". Maybe he gets tired of everyone saying "he's hot" and wanted to go for a more dignified look. I've noticed he wears his glasses when making presentations to teachers and such. So maybe he's in "teacher/preacher" mode...

As for being one of the "random clack generators" - I don't "give up seeing the show" to take videos for the Claynation. Maybe some do, but as for myself, I rather enjoy seeing Clay through the camera lens. I have always taken photos and video of everything... I have closets full of them. One of our favorite things to do when the kids are here is look at and watch all that stuff from years ago. We are just one big nostalgic bunch!

I do try not to get caught and don't usually chance it if I think I will!! (I will not take a camera to Broadway, if I go. And I hope anyone to tries to take clack will not be detected.)

Clay's "vision" for this show was "Christmas from the Heartland" and I mentioned this before, but I don't think "HEARTLAND" refers to a geographic location. I think this is "Clay Shooting From the Heart". It's evident in his song selections, his staging, his story selections, his decision to have stories in the first place.

I always get excited when Clay tries new things because I know I'm in for a treat. It may not always be what I expect, but it is always what Clay intends to give. I think this tour is from Clay's heart and I want to accept it in that context.

I also think this is a change up from last year, just because Clay likes to change things up and try new things. I love him for that!

Even tho I miss the banter, I think he gave us enough over the past year's time to last until he gets back to his goofy side again!!

______

duckyvee - 1½ hours! PAH! I could do it in my sleep would not even consider not going!! Please say you are looking for a ticket!!

That Paul Simon concerrt sounds like a real winner, play. I had a similar experience when I went to see Bob Dylan last November. He walks out, sits stands at a keyboard, and starts singing. The singing is unintelligible, the keyboard is facing stage right. Not until the last 6-8 songs does he come out front and center to do some of his standards. The rest were from his new album, and unrecognizable to all but his most faithful followers.

______

I've taken hours to compose this post!! It's probably already been said by now!! HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYBODY!

Who's going to Williamsport?? We need to meet at the brewery across the street afterwards. I'll be the one with the big SMILE on my face!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

As for being one of the "random clack generators" - I don't "give up seeing the show" to take videos for the Claynation. Maybe some do, but as for myself, I rather enjoy seeing Clay through the camera lens. I have always taken photos and video of everything... I have closets full of them.

That's cool! I guess I was thinking of how I feel when I am the official photographer or videographer at an event....I never could enjoy it the same. I'm glad you can!

Clay's "vision" for this show was "Christmas from the Heartland" and I mentioned this before, but I don't think "HEARTLAND" refers to a geographic location. I think this is "Clay Shooting From the Heart". It's evident in his song selections, his staging, his story selections, his decision to have stories in the first place.

I always get excited when Clay tries new things because I know I'm in for a treat. It may not always be what I expect, but it is always what Clay intends to give. I think this tour is from Clay's heart and I want to accept it in that context.

I love this, so I just had to quote it. ITA.

From cfinger at CV:

We get part of the Sunday NY Times on Saturday. In tomorrow's Arts Section there is a HUGE ad for Spamalot using the same picture as the pamphlets that were at the Palace last night - same "What a difference a Clay Makes" and then Clay Aiken joins the cast on January 18. I got all teary when I saw it.I am sure hoping that the critics like him!!!!! Anyway, p 12. Arts Section, Sunday NYTimes. I have no idea how to scan it.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

*waits for stones*

Well none from me. And gosh, I hope none from anyone else. We should all be able to say what we think without having to dodge cyber projectiles :)

Amen sister. Thank you for all the thooughfully given opinions.

Happy Saturday everybody...

So many in Omaha..ahemmm... how's that pre party coming Jamar heh. And hopefully by the end of this weekend..we'll have definite plans for Minneapolis and Merrillville as well. god, it's so close.

I decided not to send out the stuff this week. I will wait until after my concert to see if I can pick the Spam a lot stuff and include it.

Obviously I don't have any problem disagreeing wtih anyone, but it is not personal, we all have our opinions. Granted, since there are yes and no sides to many opinions, there will always be more of people who believe one thing than another. Just the way it is.

Report from Lilyshine & Pookle about Albany.

Aww, my girls! I lurve you. It made me happy as hell to see you check in from your concert. Sorry you didn't like it as much as you'd hoped. But I'm really glad that you shared your thoughts!

We are not clones. And thank goodness for that.

You know, I will always appreciate that Clay wants to try some thing new and different. That's how an artist grows. Some things I will like. Somethings I won't. Some things Clay will like. Some things he won't. I think I said this before, but to me, the only way Clay fails is if he stops trying.

Personally, I think he could have accomplished the same goals he set out to accomplish and still have infused a bit more of his personality without turning into the comedy tour of last year. For example, how nice would have been if maybe in the first half we had fan stories (edited more because IMO they are way too long) and then maybe in the second half he could have had Angela, Quiana share a story and then he could have ended with one of his own. It still would have had the same feeling and he still could have involved the fans, but we also would have seen more of the performers in a personal way.

I also think the staging was too static. I think this may be one reason some become bored. I remember back in the day when I directed a few plays, one thing we were always careful of was staging the play in such a way that it did not become visually boring to the audience. That meant there had to be movement, something for the eye to follow. I think if Clay and the girls had more room - let's say one large platform rather than the 3 small ones - this would have allowed him more room to move while singing, especially during songs like the Winter - a.k.a. "Jazzy" - medley. If he and the girls had more of a chance to move, I think it would have made it more visually interesting.

Clay does seem very detached during this concert - even from those reading the stories or when A or Q sing their songs. He almost looks like he is thinking about what to have for dinner or what to watch on TV! One of Clay's greatest attributes as a perfomrer to me has been his ability to connect with the audience. I just don't think he does here. I completely appreciate the beauty of his voice and how singing the songs of Christmas seems to bring him such joy, but I don't think - at least TO ME - that he connects with his audience.

And I miss that.

And I still hate those glasses.........

Great discussion!!! and as always I think this comes when different opinions are presented...

I don't think I've ever disagreed as much with CG as to this point...last nights look was soooo not high school nerd Clay...that is a hot college professor...successful business man/diplomat...and totally hot Clay!!!

I think that is the best hairstyle for his glasses...EVAH...and I finally found a new avatar....YUMMMMY!!!!

as to her other points and those of lilyshine and pookle....

> I think I have an issue with people saying I miss Clay and his personality...cos this is SOOOOO Clay too. This is the Clay that goes to Washington and represents UNICEF. This is Clay in his most reverent mode. I see this as Clay the artist. This is part of who Clay is, he is not always the goof ball...he is a professional that can go from fart jokes to a show of such class and professionalism.

>I also disagree about the movement. I think its pretty easy to entertain people with all the bells and whistles of movement and easy jokes, but to entertain by virtue of his voice and the whole visual concept is much more difficult. I think his stillness invites people to look at the big picture to sit back and let the music envelope you. Maybe this is just not the type of show some people need right now...but I do think that if people will just let go of that...other vision they have for this Clay concert and just let the current vision in ...it might work.

I was totally impressed by the physical arrangement of the show...of Clay among the musicians. The beautiful lighting and just the vision of Quiana and Angela...so elegant and beautiful....I do believe this type of show is the one concert I envision for his future PBS special.

>I also know its a matter of taste...but I am totally in love with the way he is singing WTOW and MGUCL. I think he is getting ready for the theater because he is not just singing these songs but he is totally in character, he is acting...in the same way he did with POB. He wants people to listen to the words...the message. I just watch xxx4clay's WTOW from Albany and I really started to cry from the emotions I felt.

>I think its pretty easy to dismiss the stories that have some death in them as maudlin and say they are depressing. Its easy to tune it out that way. I only listened to the dead son story...but I wouldn't call that maudlin. If the story started out as a happy christmas then her son died and she was heartbroken...then yeah it would be depressing. But if people just gives that story a chance and truly listen to the message ...it is very very empowering. This woman didn't find peace and the joy in Christmas because friends cheered her up or she went to parties, she had to actively let the message of Christmas come in and help her find peace after her loss. I thought that was very powerful message of hope.

duckyvee...I think what a lot of people are missing is the feeling that they are part of the show...of the family. I think Clayzor is right...in order for him to expand his fan base...he will need to let go of this comfort zone where he can come out and just do anything to get an applause...because this will not fly when the audience is not predominantly Clay fans. Specially when he goes to spamalot. He needs to be very professional and not rely on being cute and goofy. The part may be so...but it is still a part in a play that relies on rehearsed lines and pacing with his fellow actors. He needs to learn to turn off the need to take attention to himself as part of a big ensemble.

I do believe this is a good show to have before Spamalot because it helps the fans get used to Clay playing a part and reacting to the other actors on stage instead of to them.

I am happy when people feel free to share their honest opinions in the board. I always wish everyone would enjoy their show...but I think that is pretty impossible. There will always be some people that will come out disappointed or not liking something and I really have fun seeing where different people are at. I will tell you something, I am pretty tired of DSIAFCD...and MCWL...I just wish he would drop it...but since he and a lot of other fans love it...I just deal.

Some like the forehead, some like the bangs... some like the glasses, some don't... some like the stories, some don't... you get the theme. Clay was right when he said he knew that no matter what he did, some would like it, some would pick it apart, so he was just going to please himself. Smart man!

Clay said he wasn't adventurous... I beg to differ. Taking risks makes one adventurous and he has been taking them since he tried out for AI. WE are adventurous for loving him, since loving someone is always a risk. We have changed our lives because of him in many adventurous ways. This whole journey is an adventure. What fun!

I still cannot get over the emotional impact of jojoct's WTOW from last night. It just rips at me. This tour feeds Clay's soul and for that reason alone, I love it. This gives him the heart to do his UNICEF work and deal with his celebrity and to be adventurous. This next year is going to be very full. Spamalot and new cd alone is a lot, but you know there will be more.

ClayAlbany8_filtered.jpg

THIS is beauty and feeds MY soul!

I'm glad you're able to enjoy your concert experiences, Cha Cha. Your videos are divine! Thank you so much.

My theory on the glasses is that he wears them when he feels he has to.

Take it with a grain of salt, but someone once told me they spoke with one of his staff members during the Jukebox Tour, who told him that a few nights earlier, Mary had accidentally scratched his eye (I think Clay joked about this on stage). Apparently, he was in such pain that they had insisted that he see a doctor. It turned out he had a corneal scratch, and was told not to wear contacts until it healed.

In LTS, there is that photo of Clay getting eye drops put in his eye to treat a sty. That could be a recurring problem, which might also make contacts inadvisable. We know he sometimes has problems with allergies, which could make his eyes watery or irritable. We also know that one eyelid tends to droop (his "wonky eye") when he gets tired. In short, it seems like he does often have problems with his eyes, which could also be why he finds flashes so physically painful.

I'll admit, I think he looks better without the glasses. I like being able to see his eyes more clearly, my favorite photos of him do not have glasses in them. However, I can't fault him for wearing them, just as I can't fault someone with a broken leg for walking around with crutches. This is just my theory. Maybe he simply chooses to go for a more professorial look. But knowing that he does occasionally have eye issues, I tend to think that he wears them for a reason.

As for the concert, I haven't been to one, and haven't even seen much clack. However, I did download the DC concert mp3, and I must say, I really enjoyed it. I found even the "sad" stories very moving. In fact, two of them brought me to tears, which perhaps wasn't the safest thing, as I was driving through a winding mountain road at the time. But I do appreciate everyone's perspective. We all have different tastes and preferences. If we didn't, it would be a very boring world.