#53: God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.

ldyjocelyn

Next Thread Title  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• I've never liked anything as much as I like Clay Aiken.
    • Is it "yet" yet?
    • How do you compare wonderful to awesome?
    • Clay is like a box of chocolates? (with a pickle on the side)
    • He's gonna look hot for decades.
    • I don't care what he sings. I just want a concert.
    • I love when he's in the mood!

I love a man who answers questions :whistling-1:

You can all thank me for going to bed at 10:15. :cryingwlaughter: But what a nice surprise to wake up to this morning. :wub:

I thought that we already knew that his chocolate "allergy" wasn't so much of an allergy (hives, swelling) as it caused him pain in his chest ("giving birth through his chest" IIRC). So maybe he just sucks it up and eats chocolate even though he knows it will make him feel pain. :shrug:

You know I just have to :rolleyes: at anyone who angsts over Clay's answers anymore (and no, I'm not seeing any of that here). Other than the TITN answer, which cleared some stuff up, all his answers re covers and Top 40 and stuff are nothing new. He's said it all before in different ways, but some people choose to twist it or not believe it or say he's lying or whatever. Same old, same old.

Sure sounds like he's teasing us with an upcoming blog with all the winkies. ;) ;) ;)

:GM_FCA:

58 Days until The National Inclusion Project's Champions Gala!:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

luckiest1 went to bed early, I went to bed early...ya'll need to thank BOTH of us for helping the cause last night. Hee.

Yesterday's photo tourney had a fairly high difference in votes, so the winner appeared fairly early. (Sorry to disappoint the profile lover fans...)

WangoTango7.jpg

Here's today's tourney. Hope you enjoy it...

Off to nominate something Scarlett said in the photo tourney as a thread title, and then off to find his answers. (Any help on question number to start with would be much appreciated...)

You know I just have to roll eyes at anyone who angsts over Clay's answers anymore (and no, I'm not seeing any of that here). Other than the TITN answer, which cleared some stuff up, all his answers re covers and Top 40 and stuff are nothing new. He's said it all before in different ways, but some people choose to twist it or not believe it or say he's lying or whatever. Same old, same old.

Yes, they are same old, same old. But I have grown to kinda lurve the predictability, like knowing just what kind of jokes a comedian will tell.

CMSU how he is Directed To Grow and Change (to fit MY idea of what he should do with his career/life/preferences) - but the minute he gives a different answer that is not the desired one, he has deliberately lied or misdirected or whatever.

No wonder he says answering questions is a chore. It IS a chore. Or, at least, the reactions are tedious.

I am pretty sure that if he is writing anything, no one will know about it unless he is happy with it. Do some artists get up every day and twitter that they have scheduled creative writing from 2 - 4 pm? Heeeee.....the way the fandom reacts, I would never tell anyone anything, just release it and turn off the computer.

Demographics - I think demographics is part of what has changed radio so much. I think the demographics thing is now like a snake eating its own tail. Everything is focused on that. No more just throwing music out there and seeing who likes it. A typical radio lineup used to be wildly differing kinds of music - how else would people hear new things? Not the top 40 (more like top three or four) radio, any more.

OK, nebbermind my last question...I found all the answers.

I'm like couchie in that one of my ideas about him was shattered. However, I'm just like "OK, cool. Whatever." OTOH, with more than a few of his answers, my ideas about him were reinforced. As luckiest1 said, he's told "us" more than a few times already that he hasn't ever really felt he's a top 40 artist, and also the kinds of songs he wants to sing. I accept that, have no problem with that, and thank God he wants to be true to himself.

I've actually heard of chocolate cake with sweet pickles. Still sounds disgusting to me though.

I'm like couchie in that one of my ideas about him was shattered. However, I'm just like "OK, cool. Whatever." OTOH, with more than a few of his answers, my ideas about him were reinforced. As luckiest1 said, he's told "us" more than a few times already that he hasn't ever really felt he's a top 40 artist, and also the kinds of songs he wants to sing. I accept that, have no problem with that, and thank God he wants to be true to himself.

I've actually heard of chocolate cake with sweet pickles. Still sounds disgusting to me though.

Yep. He gets to pick what he wants to sing... for me, the road is wide open. I'd much rather he be happy with what he's singing than not.

And my husband's family - chocolate cake, polish sausage and hard boiled eggs... :shrug:

I can find the questions but not the answers on the OFC. Furthermore, I can't get on CV. I'm stomping my foot here at THE FRONT OF THE DAM CLAY LINE, with frustrations..............at least I'm not at the back of the line like some irrational, over-emotional types!

I can find the questions but not the answers on the OFC. Furthermore, I can't get on CV. I'm stomping my foot here at THE FRONT OF THE DAM CLAY LINE, with frustrations..............at least I'm not at the back of the line like some irrational, over-emotional types!

The post number of his latest answer is always in the thread title "Questions for Clay" or you can go to the Rest Home where they are all archived.

Kim

I fear I need to go to the Rest Home! Thank you, I have seen them now - just got a little 'over-enthusiastic fan thing' going there for a minute or ten. I do think a hug from The Man might settle me right down....just saying.

it's funny how some long held beliefs of mine continue to be crushed. LOL. I love it.

I think Trenyce took the Quiana slot. Plus she looked 10 and that probably hurt her.

I don't care what he sings. I just want a concert.

What hurt Trenyce for me was her incessant tapping on the microphone. Drove. Me. Crazy. Well that and the fact that no matter what she did with her voice, her eyes were dead. It made everything she performed lack life/spark no matter how much effort and energy she put into it. Has that changed with new life experiences? I hope so.

This from WinkyDink at CH

Speaking of found music and Mozart (hee): Peeps, does anyone know anything about Wolfgang's Vault If you scroll down, you see Live Concert DownloadsHoly-moly, the offerings!

I just visited this site and Holy-moly is right!

Now am listening to Van Morrison's Ballerina which always vividly brings back those wonderful nights with my DH during those exciting times after we met as we lay listening to late night FM.

ETA: Which, BTW, at that time early 1992, was the only station in Vancouver where one could hear Van Morrison or Bob Dylan or Crosby Stills Nash and Young or any number of singers and groups who did not fit the Top 40 AM format.

I am pretty sure that if he is writing anything, no one will know about it unless he is happy with it. Do some artists get up every day and twitter that they have scheduled creative writing from 2 - 4 pm? Heeeee.....the way the fandom reacts, I would never tell anyone anything, just release it and turn off the computer.

:cryingwlaughter:

Has anyone been able to get into CV or know the status of when it might be up?

Kim

Kim

I can't access CV at work, but I suspect the server maintenance issues that d-mom posted about being done overnight are taking longer than the tech geeks said they would. None of the tech stuff ever seems to go smoothly for that board.

Kim

I can't access CV at work, but I suspect the server maintenance issues that d-mom posted about being done overnight are taking longer than the tech geeks said they would. None of the tech stuff ever seems to go smoothly for that board.

That is what I suspected...she is probably tearing her hair out by now!

Kim

Clay shatters tenets of the fandom every time he speaks. I don't mind telling you how much I love it. Several times back in my early days at OFC I'd make an observation and WHACK!!! it would get the machete treatment because "everybody" knows that Clay does or does not blah blah blah. Looks like Clay changes just like the rest of the world does, and that some long-held 10-Commandments-type beliefs were just wrong. I specifically recall being told that Clay didn't approve of his sexy characterization in the TITN video. Oh well.

As for Clay mentioning the best songs being written before he was born .... is that even debatable? Clay was born in 1978, as was my son. My guitarist son is continually discovering music from the 60's and 70's, all written before he was born, that he has become obsessed with playing: Creedence, Page, Link Wray -- the only current music he plays are his own compositions. Many of the greatest songwriters of the 60's and 70's were dead before Clay was born, and I include Jim Croce among them. John Denver wrote the bulk of his hits before Clay was born. Almost all of Elton's big hits were written before Clay was born. And James Taylor's too. But I'm not necessarily talking about recreating the big hits -- my point is that nearly every album I own from the Glory Days contain incredible songs that remain unknown, and that I've always preferred over the famous songs still played on classic radio formats. These songs are in another league both musically and lyrically from the stuff being written today. Just my opinion, of course, but there's a backlog of great unknown music waiting to be heard. And if Clay wants to sing some of those songs, or put his unique voice to timeless classics, I can love it, for all that it's worth.

So many of the songs he sang on Idol were written before he was born.

Songs written BEFORE Clay was born:

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

I Can't Help Myself

Grease

Build Me Up Buttercup

To Love Somebody

Unchained Melody

Solitaire

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Always and Forever

Everlasting Love

Here There & Everywhere

Mack the Knife

(I didn't include Vincent because Clay didn't choose that one.)

Songs Written AFTER Clay was born:

Open Arms (1981)

At This Moment (1981)

Tell Her About It (1983)

Somewhere Out There (1986)

Someone Else's Star (1994)

I Could Not Ask For More (1999)

Most of my favorites are in the BEFORE group, the glaring exception being At This Moment, which I adored.

I don't know how Clay wants to market himself in the future. Whether he wants to completely divorce his career from anything Idol, or if he wants to build on it to reconnect with long-lost fans are things I'd love to know. But .... if it's the latter, I do believe that Clay could have a huge seller on his hands if he recorded full length versions of some of these songs -- like DLTSGDOM, and Mack the Knife and Buttercup and especially, ESPECIALLY, To Love Somebody. He's never recorded Unchained Melody either.

Anyway, sweet pickles and chocolate cake? No thanks. I like pie. Just about any pie, except Sweet Pickle Pie.

:helloFCA:

Wow, I finished bringing in the groceries just in time. It's pouring down rain this hour. Supposed to be 5% chance at 2 p.m., so I guess I timed that trip just right. :whistling-1:

Kim

That is what I suspected...she is probably tearing her hair out by now!

Kim

I still can't get into CV either. Plus I'm on a new computer without the address for the emergency site. Can someone PM that to me? I wonder if the main CV address will remain the same. Guess time will tell. :imgtongue:

Off to catch up. Have a great day, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

Totally agree Keepingfaith; I actually posted something similiar at the OFC this morning...could we eliminate the word "cover" from the Clay vocabulary and just refer to them as "previously recorded songs"...I really hate the word "cover".

Kim

Totally agree Keepingfaith; I actually posted something similiar at the OFC this morning...could we eliminate the word "cover" from the Clay vocabulary and just refer to them as "previously recorded songs"...I really hate the word "cover".

Kim

I think most people would be surprised to know how many hit songs they assume are original recordings, were previously recorded once, twice or even three times before. It could be that the earlier recording(s) was/were before their time. Or the earlier recordings were in a different format (country, jazz, etc.) and rearranged for a different sound. Or earlier recordings didn't capture anyone's attention and lay dormant.

I especially love The Real Me, and don't give a whit* that it was recorded first by Natalie Grant.

ETA: This is for the time capsule, but being an R&B lover, I definitely recall when a couple of my Rod Stewart-loving friends didn't know that "I'm Losing You" was not a Rod original. Hard to believe, but true. And not only had it been a hit five years before for the Temptations, but Rare Earth recorded it a year before Rod. People only know what they are exposed to -- and there's a big wide world of music out there.

* What is a "whit" anyway? Whatever it is, I don't give one.

* What is a "whit" anyway? Whatever it is, I don't give one.

whit - the smallest part or particle imaginable.

Or was that a rhetorical question :hysterical:

Anyway, I liken it to flying fig or rat's ass:lipstick:

Ooooh, speaking of ass ...