#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

From karebear65 at GCA:

On the way into work this morning Clay was in studio with Bill and Lynda on 101.5. Bill noticed the stubble right away. Said it was a beard. Clay said "it’s not a beard.. its stubble" Talked briefly about TnT and the show on Monday. They usually record a longer interview and play snippets through out the day. Just wish it was longer this morning.

Crying is one of my most favorite songs on the album. I remember after the taping saying that I would never have believed after two iconic interpretations (Orbison and Lang) which I adore, that Clay could own this song, but he does. Honestly, I would love to hear him do it all alone, but the duet is also gorgeous. Her voice is perfectly suited to his. For once it isn't a yelling match (which he can do a hell of a job at too). She was a generous partner who let him shine instead of trying to drown him out. They both have clear, pure tones, and they sound wonderful together. At the taping Clay produced some sounds that were just otherworldly. I get that most on the recording with the high "crying" series that he does about mid-way and at the end, but I do think the live version was even better. Whether a recording could capture that, I don't know. Guess we'll see.

Is there an arrangement on this one? :cryingwlaughter: The vocals are just so amazing they overshadow the arrangement, as they should. This is one of the most beautiful, simple but profound melodies in all of song.

Some of the harmonies each of them chooses are so interesting, not your standard thirds. Then when they do thirds it's like a resolution, like coming home for a moment, and then it's back to harmonic tension, and back home again. It was interesting to read in the newsletter that they just came up with those on their own, and apparently just before the taping. Who mentioned all the key changes? KF, probably. That was the arranger's doing, but we know Clay loves his key changes.

This song I never want to end, I could play it over and over and over. :flirtysmile3:

jmh, yes I love the arrangement with the key changes, which keeps it from being a re-voiced clone of the original. But I have a question. Didn't I hear, or read, Clay or Linda say in one of these recent interviews (maybe Linda's newsletter?) that he had first recorded the song and she came into the studio later and recorded her part, and that Linda, herself, worked out the harmonies she sang? Anyway, unless I read it wrong, I'm thinking Clay recorded this as a solo in Hamburg and then the decision was made to make it a duet and Linda was called in. From early interviews, I was under the impression that Clay and Linda recorded this together in the studio, but now I hear him saying that he was IN the studio when she recorded her part to his prerecorded vocals. Hence, I have listened to this by focusing my hearing on Clay's voice only. I think it would have worked without Linda because his voice is dominant in the song, not to mention AMAZING, but as I said above, she was frosting on the cake.

But I have a question. Didn't I hear, or read, Clay or Linda say in one of these recent interviews (maybe Linda's newsletter?) that he had first recorded the song and she came into the studio later and recorded her part, and that Linda, herself, worked out the harmonies she sang? Anyway, unless I read it wrong, I'm thinking Clay recorded this as a solo in Hamburg and then the decision was made to make it a duet and Linda was called in. From early interviews, I was under the impression that Clay and Linda recorded this together in the studio, but now I hear him saying that he was IN the studio when she recorded her part to his prerecorded vocals. Hence, I have listened to this by focusing my hearing on Clay's voice only. I think it would have worked without Linda because his voice is dominant in the song, not to mention AMAZING, but as I said above, she was frosting on the cake.

I thought he said at the taping that they had just recorded it that day, but you could be right that he was just present when she recorded it. I do think I've heard him say that this is the first duet where both had been present at the same time. At one point he is definitely singing harmonies to her lead, so that would've had to have been added that day if the whole thing wasn't recorded then.

The Voice -- Linda Eder Official Fan Newsletter

Dream Duet

THE VOICE goes one-on-one with Clay Aiken!

CLAY: It was really interesting going in to the studio with Linda. I've recorded duets before, but never actually been in the studio when the other person sang. (the magic of the music industry, huh?) Linda is so laid back and casual in the studio that it was a breeze. She knows what sounds great, and she is so good that she doesn't have to put forth that much effort to be perfect. Some folks sing through songs line by line over and over and over and over to get things right. With Linda it was pretty much perfect the first time. There were a few times when she said, "Oh, I wanna do that over," and all of us in the control room just looked at each other with surprise because we already thought she had nailed it.

I ripped out the above link and quote from LdyJ's earlier post of the entire interview. At the "Dream Duet" link is this quote from Linda Eder:

The whole experience started with meeting Clay at Billy Stein's studio to record the song. He was very friendly and very talkative. He is the first to tell you that he talks a lot! I had been listening to Clay's recording of "Crying" and worked out some harmony while driving around in my truck. It really does make a very nice duet. ...

Billy Stein is Linda's keyboardist who is also a record producer and has a recording studio in Manhattan, where she recorded her part of the duet while Clay was in the control room.

Linda Eder and Billy Stein

I could've read the liner notes more carefully, D101. :cryingwlaughter: Did not know that Billy Stein was Linda's keyboardist! I still think if it was originally intended to be solo, they must've added Clay's harmonies to Linda's melody in later. (There aren't a lot, but they are there.) Unless he was varying the melody line at that point and she took that opportunity to take the melody. I'll have to listen again with all these thoughts in mind.

:GA_FCA:

I have not been around much, but I have been reading along while doing the hobbling routine. Thank you for your posts of concern. :wub:

This afternoon I put together a Carolina On My Mind blog that includes the WRAL and Insider interviews, screen caps, and two NJU stories.

Thnx for your comments/visits in the Internet Clay blogs. I can't tell you the numbers of people who drop by, right-click, save, and leave. At least I can see the visitors on the Carolina's live feed. :clay:

Thnx for the additional caps, bottle!

Oh my - his Spamalot story makes me teary. I was there that night - not the Friday, but the Tuesday & Wednesday when the People cover got leaked. So all that 'louder than ever' was at least in part my friend and I. Two nights I'll never forget. I'm thinking he must be remembering the weekend stage door though, because sadly, he never came out (and we were actually glad of it). We did get two very distinct waves from him on the stage though (had terrific third row seats), so he did know that we were there.

Lilyshine and I were there too, in the balcony, also making "louder than ever' noise. I'm glad to hear he felt the love.

I'm glad Clay saw and heard you guys. :flirtysmile3:

Quick post about Crying before I fall over on my computer.

I am insanely crazy about this version. It would be fantastic in a movie. They are both singing with such emotion and with such great voices. After UM and the sliding note , this was my WOW moment from the taping. I rarely find anything wrong with Clay's voice, so sue me.

DITTO!!! For me, the "Crying" duet and Clay's own version of UM are my favorites. It has taken me a while to narrow it down to these. Deep thoughts will have to be reserved for later. :snoopy:

Have a fantastic birthday, Couchie! :bdayparty2:

Have a great weekend, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

I could've read the liner notes more carefully, D101. :cryingwlaughter: Did not know that Billy Stein was Linda's keyboardist! I still think if it was originally intended to be solo, they must've added Clay's harmonies to Linda's melody in later. (There aren't a lot, but they are there.) Unless he was varying the melody line at that point and she took that opportunity to take the melody. I'll have to listen again with all these thoughts in mind.

Maybe it was meant to be a duet all along and Clay recorded it in mind to have someone take the lead in several places. It could have been recorded in a variety of ways by Clay and then fit with the other singer. Who knows? The one thing I do know and love about this duet is that Clay's voice dominates it, and beautifully so. I'm completely charmed by his voice and how her's intertwines so sweetly with his.

I lurrrves him in brown :flirtysmile3:

Thanks, bottlecap.

bottle... me too!!!!!!!! The one picture I have printed out and displayed at home is him at the ATDW signing in Hollywood. He was wearing his gorgeous chocolate brown suit/shirt/tie and I stared at him from 2 feet away. SLURP!!!

I was waiting for claylove to read her PM but I'm suffering from whiplash. I was so happy last night about Chicago and this morning had a wonderful roomie all lined up. And then I go to work and find out that the one day off the purchaser has in October is the 15th. I'm his only backup. I want to cry and hurt someone. Even a Laker win isn't helping me tonight.

JustClay - As a PK, The Blood was our go to choir song LOL. It's one of my favorite songs. I like Clay's version although I have a very soft spot for the full choir version that I listened to a lot growing up.

Cryin' and Suspicious Minds are my favorite songs on the CD. I've played both on repeat for hours. I third that movie idea.

couchie... it won't be as much fun, but it only takes 2 hours, timewise, to get back to SF from Chicago, so if you take the redeye and can function on redeye sleep, it could be done.

By the way... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :bdayparty2::bdayparty2:

Crying is my fave, absolutely! I really like some other and one of those that surprised me is Hush! Everytime I play the cd I like it better. Maybe cause it's uptempo and upbeat? I noticed the other day that the uptempo songs are all the odd numbers and the quiet yum ballads are the even numbers. LOL

Happy Birthday Couchie!; hope you are having a great day!

I always donate a copy of Clay's newest CD to our Library because they never order them...well today I was opening a box of CD's and DVD's and what do I see as I am going through them but....Tried and True! Could have knocked me over! I was so excited to see it! So now our Library has two copies and the copy I donated has already been checked out!

One thing I have been wondering...is there a way to calculate how many sales Clay has from stores and outlets that are not reported to Billboard?

Kim

ab01519bb4153d3762795ad4fe69d05d38b.gif

So sorry about Chicago Couchie. Do you think he'd change his mind if you offered him a kidney or something?

Hey gang!

This morning is the first time I've really had a chance to check here, even though I did have my smartphone working up a storm yesterday. We did lots of touring yesterday, so I'm still tired.

Happy belated birthday to my dear couchtomato.

Thanks to said smartphone, I knew Clay was to be on the Insider. So, I was flicking around channels yesterday morning while getting ready, and what do I find by "The Insider" on my TV! So I got to see the shorter interview. He's looking fine!

More touring today. See ya'll soon!

:GM_FCA:

2 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

5 Days until Clay is on Popeater!:yahoo:

19 Days until Clay is addressing The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

34 Days until The Timless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Song of the Day catch-up:

Cryin' - This one has really grown on me. I know I am in a small minority, but I didn't really care for it when I first listened. I'm not into recorded duets, although I like them in musical theater because, well, they make sense in the context of a story. Too often recorded duets by 2 lead singers come off as vocal duels to me. This one is a little different as Clay's voice dominates, it seems to my ear, which makes it a little easier to process. Still though, my first reaction was that I wish Clay were singing it alone. He sounds amazing on it, and that opening is exquisite. Linda Eder has a great voice, of course, but it's the duet thing that gets to me. Now, I don't need all songs to make sense. Some of my favorite songs are either silly or seem to be drug-induced phrases strung together because they sound good ("Can I kiss your dopamine?"). This song is so clearly a story, though, that I hear it that way. And then I think, well, they both still love each other, they said so, and they must hear that because they're singing it to each other, so why don't they just get back together and stop all that cryin'? I got past that after a dozen listens or so and am finally able to appreciate it for the vocal performances.

There's a Kind of Hush - This is on my short list. I LOVE it. Such a different treatment from the original, which I liked well enough, but didn't love. I love the cadence in the vocal. Love the band, especially the subtle percussion. I love the way Clay sings 'world.' I can almost hear a smile in his voice, especially in the first "of lovers in love." I hope we get to hear him sing this one live some time. Hoping the idea of a Tried and True tour becomes a reality.

Happy Belated Birthday, Couchie!

:GM_FCA:

This will be catch-up weekend on the song of the day again this weekend. A Kind of Hush was sadly neglected yesterday, even by me. We'll start a new song Monday and finish on Friday. I hope to see lots of catch-up posts, any of the first 10 songs. :listen:

:loveclaysbutt:

So how do I look? Still getting used to my new glasses, but so far not too bad!

There's a Kind of Hush....Love the way he sings "world"...this is just a fun song and I nice break from the slower songs on the CD!

Kim

Thanks for all the birthday wishes..... I went to work yesterday, rushed home on public trans -- took a shower, got dressed and went to my neice's big dance show last night. I can't believe how far she has come. She's part of the company now and she was such a big part of the show and she just nailed everything from the hip hop to jazz to tap dancing. She's totally confident in what she is doing too, at 7! She has another show tonight as well. And the funny part is she didn't want her mother in the dressing room helping her with costume changes. Happy Saturday!!

LdyJ hope you are having a blast! I love that city.

I love Kind of Hush because it's the only song on the album that speaks to a pure happiness in love. It's a happy happy joy joy fun fun song. The others express an array of hopefulness, longing, looking, crying, worrying, desperation, introspection, helplessness, imagination, and devotion to varying degrees. Kind of Hush is just upbeat, uptempo, and happily declaring a mutual love to the whole world. I like that a lot.

And for some reason, this song makes me conduct the orchestra, or BE the orchestra. I swear I do a mini-version of Jerry Lewis listening to this one. I just can't help it.