#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

::pets Kandre...just because::

Enough of the doom & gloom already!!!! The guy has a KA album and it is going to be around for a while.

He will be fine and so will we!!! Rah Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah!!!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

So as they say in England....keep your pecker up!!!! (that means chin by the way..what were you thinking? Tsk Tsk!!)

OUCH! for Spam.... therethere.gif

So as they say in England....keep your pecker up!!!!

Bwah.... thread title?

Clay is doing what every one else is doing in the music industry. I wish he could buck the trend but it isn't going to happen. But I'm hoping he will buck the Clay Aiken trend of having a few strong weeks and disappearing after a few of months. It's a great album so I'm going to believe until I can't believe no more that it will find its place and be heard. And then I'll move on to the next thing and there will be a next thing. I can see now why record companies are wanting peices of the touring pie. Fortunately for Clay, he can put butts in seats well enough to have a tour.

As for Spam, just like the numbers looked bad after Clay's opening week when we all rushed there and then fell his second week ..I can hope that after the phenomenal last few weeks of his run as we rushed to get there, things will settle down and get better for them. That is a fabulous ensemble, with our without Clay.

I'll join in the RAH-RAH-GO-CLAY-GO!!!! chant. This is a time for excitement, not doom & gloom. WORD to cindilu2's entire post. Fans who continue to second guess him and his team aren't doing him any favours. Grrrrrrrrrr, I'd like to smack them upside the head with a rolled up blog. :imgtongue:

Can't wait for Leno tonight! It will be the first promo appearance I've been able to watch live. Right now I am heading out to the ball diamond for my son's first game of the year.......and layering up, because I think it's gonna be a cold one. But at least the rain has stopped! But I'll be home in time for Leno, yay!!!

I think part of the problem is that only those who have seen him in concert have seen rockin' out Clay and that's why they think he's a poser when he sings the faster songs. Have they all forgotten his first hit was Invisible??? He is sooo in the ballad boy box it isn't even funny.

I, do, however, really feel that the label and his management firm are behind a change in image and slowly but surely things are going to change for him.

As far as tomorrow goes, at first I was, "he has to go over 100,000". Now, I'm, "he has to be in the top 5". We'll see if he's either, but nevertheless, look at whose company he is in at the top of that chart... he's still ok, IMO. I trust that as more people hear this cd, more will buy it. Also, a stroke of luck could come along and put one of his songs somewhere really good and bingo, off it will go.

After 5 years and a lot of bumps in the road, Clay now knows who he is, who he is perceived to be and, I believe, will work to make it all work. He's a very smart man.

And now for something completely different....

Leno Report from Spot:

Clay looks gorgeous! His hair was straight but not plastered down. He got couch time - one segment. He was very cute and funny. He talked about Spamalot. Very cute and animated (at one point she thought he was going to fly off the couch). Lots of funny stuff. Song sounded really good.

:clap:

Radio interview with WKVIL 103.7 in Texas

And now for something completely different....

Leno Report from Spot:

Clay looks gorgeous! His hair was straight but not plastered down. He got couch time - one segment. He was very cute and funny. He talked about Spamalot. Very cute and animated (at one point she thought he was going to fly off the couch). Lots of funny stuff. Song sounded really good.

:clap:

Oh...squeeeee! :flirtysmile3:

---

I'm sorry, but I just can't get worked up about the numbers. It's a different world than where ya' come from, ya'll. The times...they are a changin'. And other appropriate adages. The CD is on it's last legs and radio is limping....badly.

Clay is in much better shape than 90% of the artists out there.

For those that read my tales of woe about looking for OMWH yesterday..and wanted me to go back and get them a poster... I did. Yay..and guess what...the album rang up at 11 something rather than 15 something sticker.

I recognize some names on other boards who seem to come out when fans are on edge. At this point it makes me laugh as they are so obvious, trying to get everyone worked up.

I just can't get too worried about Clay. He has more talent in his little finger than many other so called "singers". And those worrying about Clay not singing again. Now thats funny. He would sooner stop breathing than stop singing. JMO

I'm hopelessly behind! I was gone all yesterday helping my Mom celebrate Mother's Day, and we had a great time together. I just got back from work, and I only have time to make a few comments:

Scarlett says to say Hi, but she's abandoning us for guys who really like her biker chick outfit.

Missed y'all! I did try to make it in time to say that SL is pretty but the silent auction included this neat new ice cream maker & set of dishes that look like waffle cups and 4 different sauces, so I had to wait until bidding was over.

Scarlett, that sounds like a pretty cool night. Wish you could be with us though. Don't you have a Blackberry and and iPod though?

LdyJ, there were speeches and videos and awards and so it would have been really rude to pull out the smartphone. :( I was thinking of how much fun you were having.

So glad you came back to tell us about your evening, Scarlett! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for the Leno reports! Can't wait to see cute, funny and animated Clay. Sounds like it will be great clack!

And I'm not going to get caught up in worrying about album sales, either. The market is changing so much that those numbers are only part of the story about the success of an artist. Looking at the BIG picture, looks like Clay is doing just fine.

And now, I'm off to the back yard to dig a grave for DD#2's recently departed bearded dragon (lizard). *sniff* And then we're off to the pet store to look at more reptiles. We won't buy any just yet, but looking around will help her to feel a bit better.

I'm interested in other people's numbers, actually.

Leona Lewis so far is #3 two weeks in a row

Madonna and Mariah dropped three and four places, respectively, since their debut week

Carrie Underwood's newest cd rose 19 places in one week AND her OLD cd entered the chart after an absence at #39! Her new music made people want to have her old music, too!

Maroon Five, that ultimate coolio cool band, shows up with 7,000+ cds sold at spot #48...

Jack Johnson, Daughtry, Jordin Sparks, Alicia Keyes...moving up or holding steady....sales week after week.

THAT's what I hope for OMWH...I don't care if in the first week Clay burns the charts...I just want that cd to have long freakin' legs!

NOW IN: 64.66%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 81,791

HOME BEFORE DARK

-- 2 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 78,660

35 BIGGEST HITS

3 3 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 53,244

SPIRIT

1 4 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 51,279

HARD CANDY

-- 5 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 49,792

ON MY WAY HERE

2 6 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 39,765

E=MC2

-- 7 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 35,223

AWAKE LIVE

-- 8 GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 30,998

GAVIN DEGRAW

-- 9 DIERKS BENTLEY CAPITOL NASHVILLE 30,916

GREATEST HITS 2003-2006

8 10 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 23,444

VARIOUS ARTISTS

18 11 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 23,163

TROUBADOUR

9 12 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 21,319

TAYLOR SWIFT

21 13 JAMES OTTO WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 18,706

SUNSET MAN

16 14 COLBIE CAILLAT UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 17,536

COCO

-- 15 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 16,616

TASTE OF BUBLE

19 16 JACK JOHNSON BRUSHFIRE/UNIV REPUBLIC 16,046

SLEEP THROUGH THE STATIC

36 17 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 15,940

CARNIVAL RIDE

23 18 JORDIN SPARKS 19/JIVE/ZLG 15,865

JORDIN SPARKS

-- 19 LUIS MIGUEL WARNER MUSIC LATINA 15,431

COMPLICES

14 20 ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS RAZOR & TIE 15,104

SOUNDTRACK

-- 21 TYE TRIBBETTE COLUMBIA 14,612

STAND OUT

27 22 DAUGHTRY RCA/RMG 14,491

DAUGHTRY

29 23 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 13,828

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

33 24 ALAN JACKSON ARISTA NASHVILLE 13,592

GOOD TIME

30 25 ALICIA KEYS J RECORDS/RMG 13,382

AS I AM

6 26 DEF LEPPARD ISLAND/IDJMG 12,550

SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE

11 27 JUNO RHINO 12,194

SOUNDTRACK

17 28 HANNAH MONTANA WALT DISNEY RECORDS 12,032

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS CONCERT

4 29 LYFE JENNINGS COLUMBIA 11,888

LYFE CHANGE

-- 30 RASCAL FLATTS LYRIC STREET 11,510

STILL FEELS GOOD

49 31 TRACE ADKINS CAPITOL NASHVILLE 10,953

AMERICAN MAN: GREATEST HITS V2

-- 32 BLAKE SHELTON WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 10,691

PURE BS

-- 33 KENNY CHESNEY BNA/SBMG NASHVILLE 10,350

JUST WHO I AM: POETS & PIRATES

-- 34 GARTH BROOKS PEARL RECORDS 10,340

ULTIMATE HITS

22 35 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD EPIC 10,317

POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE

28 36 LADY ANTEBELLUM CAPITOL NASHVILLE 9,964

LADY ANTEBELLUM

41 37 KEYSHIA COLE GEFFEN 9,801

JUST LIKE YOU

44 38 KID ROCK ATLANTIC 9,008

ROCK N ROLL JESUS

-- 39 CARRIE UNDERWOOD 19/ARISTA/RMG 8,521

SOME HEARTS

-- 40 SUGARLAND MERCURY NASHVILLE 8,492

ENJOY THE RIDE

37 41 DANITY KANE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 8,438

WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE

43 42 MARY J. BLIGE GEFFEN 8,409

GROWING PAINS

26 43 JONAS BROTHERS HOLLYWOOD 7,590

JONAS BROTHERS

34 44 SARA BAREILLES EPIC 7,281

LITTLE VOICE

24 45 RICK ROSS DEF JAM/IDJMG 7,241

TRILLA

-- 46 MAROON 5 A&M/OCTONE 7,129

IT WON'T BE SOON BEFORE LONG

38 47 AMY WINEHOUSE UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 7,073

BACK TO BLACK

15 48 CARLY SIMON HEAR MUSIC 6,812

THIS KIND OF LOVE

5 49 ROOTS DEF JAM/IDJMG 6,764

RISING DOWN

-- 50 LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 6,742

MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

I recognize some names on other boards who seem to come out when fans are on edge. At this point it makes me laugh as they are so obvious, trying to get everyone worked up.

Hee. There does seem to be a bit of a rush to drag OMWH onto the cart, doesn't there? You could almost forget that Clay's making an appearance on the highest rated late night TV show this evening, where he gets couch time and gets to promote that new CD.

"I am not dead yet, I can dance and I can sing. I am not dead yet, I can do the Highland Fling..."

Waits for muski to come and correct my Not Dead Fredism. :imgtongue:

One of the things I have noticed is that whether a review is "good" or "bad", the reviewer is operating on the assumption that Clay is an artist with a career. "This time", "next time", "looking for this" - whatever, it seems to me that Clay is established and not expected to fade away by any except for some of his fans, and to me that is just whistling in their own personal dark. The assumption is pretty much that he will be making CDs for quite a while, and yes, he is doing better than 98% of the other artists. He was absolutely correct in saying the MOAM sales would skew things, and he was right, but looks like that is being disregarded.

I am not surprised by the country sales, those are always good. I am more appalled that Neil Diamond is projected for only 135K - and by Madonna's numbers - she is on TV, touring, etc. - and where she used to sell millions, it looks like she won't even get to one million. Latin CDs - normally huge sellers - Latin CDs as a whole sold around 3 million last year, down from around 4 million the year before. Both of those numbers seem low to me, but I got them from a Reuters article - Latin Music sales plummet in 2007

I would not extrapolate the HDD numbers for Clay on their own, but as a percentage of sales for that year.

Clay is not going away - some fans may, and that is just natural. And personally, I love a few other artists madly, but I never care when the latest CD comes out, I just buy it when I see it, I don't worry about the first week.

The fan-initiated business direction stuff has actually gotten sorta humorous - it would be funnier if they didn't actually try and manipulate things. This fandom had a knack for sucking the happy out of things for me, until I got used to it and just ignore it. Not that I ever believed the doom and gloom, it was just such a downer.

I think they should sell Tshirts at the OFC that say "Clay Aiken - not a rocker - get used to it!" I have had enough people in my personal life who used to tell me I should have done this or that in order to fit their vision of being happy or successful. It wasn't about me, it was about their version of me. They are gone now, I am much happier.

I guess I am not really interested in what some say Clay should have done in order to fit the box they built for him, I am only interested in what he is actually doing.

Haha! A quick perusal of other boards - Clay should talk about different things, should have released the CD at a different time, should have had a different first single, should have gone to more parties........Bwahahaha! This is classic! Fear, you are so right! The trick is to imagine a little bada-bing! drum thingie after each predictable comment.

From the CB via the CH:

QUOTE("Ms Marmalade")

QUOTE("Kitty4Clay at CB")

Hi!! I'm home from Leno, and OMG he's SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!!! Perfect hair, smooth and silky looking, tall long and lean in dark jeans, dark jacket, thin vertical stripe shirt over a black t-shirt. Clay & Jack Black sort of played off each other a bit, sort of like he did with Howie Mandel before. Jack Black had sung a verse to a song he wrote about his baby, and Clay came out and said, "I was gonna sing that song!". Leno asked him about seeing that Clay compared himself to Justin Timberlake, and Clay was really funny when he said, "we obviously look alike and can dance, but other than that, there's no comparison!" Leno said you don't dance, Clay said NOOOOOOOOOO and that's when all the fans made a roar like "YES YOU DO" so Clay explained that he was in Spamalot and there was a difference between DANCING and choreography. He talked about acting and said that he was cut from his high school musical, and he REALLY wanted to say the teacher's name like "neener neener" but he wouldn't... then he just blew a raspberry into the camera!! SO CUTE! Of course there was a lot more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

There was a full house, a good representation of fans and we tried to be as loud as possible, but I know there were quite a few non fans there as well.

OH YEAH he sang the shortened TV version of "On My Way Here".

OMG I FORGOT TO SAY!! He was asked about his british accent and HE TALKED FOR A SECOND IN HIS ACCENT!!!!!!! WOW!!

QUOTE("ncsupack88 at CB")

spartus90 calling back and said they taped 3 promos and in one of them Leno said "coming up the comedy team of Black and Aiken!" And in another promo Clay did karate chops! I hope I get to see that!

The promos sound cute!

I'm interested in other people's numbers, actually.

Leona Lewis so far is #3 two weeks in a row

Madonna and Mariah dropped three and four places, respectively, since their debut week

Carrie Underwood's newest cd rose 19 places in one week AND her OLD cd entered the chart after an absence at #39! Her new music made people want to have her old music, too!

Maroon Five, that ultimate coolio cool band, shows up with 7,000+ cds sold at spot #48...

Jack Johnson, Daughtry, Jordin Sparks, Alicia Keyes...moving up or holding steady....sales week after week.

THAT's what I hope for OMWH...I don't care if in the first week Clay burns the charts...I just want that cd to have long freakin' legs!

I hope that too, but......

Leona Lweis - radio play

Madonna - legend (and probably radio but I don't listen to stations that would likely play her)

Mariah - radio (and I guess in a way legend, plus she got a lot of press by getting married!)

Carrie - radio

Maroon Five - radio

Daughtry - radio

Jordin Sparkes - radio

Alicia Keyes - radio

Jack Johnson - I bet he gets radio too

Detect a pattern?? How does this album sprout wings without radio? I know AC radio takes forever to happen but there does seem to be a resistance to playing Clay on the radio - just because he's Clay.

I know people say radio doesn't matter, that no one listens to the radio but then why is it that those who keep selling long after their albums drop all get radio play - and usually lots of it.

Out of curiosity I was listening to WJBR, an AC station out of Wilmington, DE on my way home. I would say 9 out of 10 songs played were old - like as much as 10 years old. I have noticed this on other AC stations. How does a new song break into a format that doesn't seem to play anything current?

I have no argument with the choice of OMWH as the first single. One - I like it. But I have also noticed that in more than one review or NJU story, it is often mentioned as one of the favorites. I also think if radio is ever going to play Clay they are not going to start with something that isn't what they think Clay should sing. I think that song makes sense on so many levels. But how do you get it played? All these radio interviews yet none of the stations seem to be playing his single!

Its a mystery and I doubt anyone in this fandom has the answer - no matter what they may think. We can all think of ways to get this album heard. He could sing or have his song use on SYTYCD - or any prime time show. Perhaps have a song used in a movie or a soap opera. But as he said, just because you want something like that doesn't mean it will happen.

I dread the reports that are sure to come. "Clay Aiken's 15 minutes are up!" and other pearls of wisdom. And if the album doesn't sell, why would any PD on the edge choose to play it? Why would he/she think people would like it if the CD doesn't sell? Its like a vicious cycle!

None of us have the answers and I in no way think this means the end of Clay's career, but it does concern me. He has a hard enough time getting respect and being taken seriously in this business. He has a bigger battle to fight than most. For once I just want him to win.

Poor Spamalot. I know it will be ok though. Its too good!

Haven't stopped by to post in a while. Just needed to come here to escape the angst.

This CD is freakin' brilliant and I love every song on it. After one finishes, I want to hit "replay," then I remember how good the next song is and I want to hear that one, too!!

In an interview not long after MOAM, Clay talked about how difficult it would be to replicate those sales figures and said that if he made a CD he was proud of, he would feel that it was a success regardless of sales. Well, this CD is one HUGE success. I also happen to think that it is going to continue to sell as word gets out about how great it is.

If you want to feel good, go over to Amazon and read the reviews (yeah, I know most are fans, but still--he is the only artist in the top few to have 5 stars and over 90 reviews).

Well, have to take a quick nap before Leno. I am thrilled that he will sing--thought he was just getting couch time. And yes, I love OMWH for his first single and I think that he sings the shit out of it!!!

There are also tons of examples of people who gets lots of radio and can't sell or get no radio and sell. They'll just have to find another way..although I'm not counting radio out just yet. TC knows of the radio challenge. Hopefully they will continue to use the internet in some form or fashion. Anyway, not just with Clay but they better start coming up with some new paradigms. I know it's not the old way anymore..but I think we're in some weird in between place that maybe we'll come out of in a few years. As someone else said..just look at all the new releases. Everybody is in the same boat.

I love this CD..listened to it lots today. I just love it.

CG...I'm sort of surprised by your doom and gloom about this cd and figure it must be because, as you said, you REALLY LIKE it and so are more invested in its success. But I don't quite get the Maroon 5 example. They weren't ON the chart of top 50 last week and only charted at #48 this week. That's GOOD? :blink: Is that their debut week numbers? Even with all the radio play and their appearance on AI and their tour coming up (sharing headline with Counting Crows, by the way)...

Oh,heh, I have been reporting bad reviews at Amazon - bad in not a review or obscene, etc , They do clean themup there.

Here is an idea - did anyone feel rushed in the listening party? Maybe we can do comments on one song a day in greater detail to get us through the angst. Mind you this had nothing negative about the listening party, but it was so much fun, I would kind of like to extend it. If I had enought Time (a year) I might actually be able tomake reasonable remarks. And it could be a "release" as well as a celebration.

YUP beautiful CD...I need to listen to it more.

I just wonder what people fear about the low sales...Lets say the worse scenario is that he won't even sell gold this time...do people really think RCA will let him go???? Do people really think this will be the last CD???? if so WHY? why are people listening to the haters...to the too cool critics??? Why can;t we trust our OWN taste...our OWN instincts ....our OWN opinion. We love this...and lots of others will love it too. Isn;t it enough that we have something great to listen to for the next few months??? Why do we have to worry about everybody else loving it.

Clay will be fine....even if he does not get radio play...he will still have a good touring career in the end of this. Consistently averaging 3 to 4k audience is something that a lot of artist would envy...

Clay is a career artist...I expect to be buying his CDs for many decades to come.

Oh,heh, I have been reporting bad reviews at Amazon - bad in not a review or obscene, etc , They do clean themup there.

Here is an idea - did anyone feel rushed in the listening party? Maybe we can do comments on one song a day in greater detail to get us through the angst. Mind you this had nothing negative about the listening party, but it was so much fun, I would kind of like to extend it. If I had enought Time (a year) I might actually be able tomake reasonable remarks. And it could be a "release" as well as a celebration.

YEs I like that idea....we can start a new thread for detailed discussion of the songs. I guess we don't really have to be listening together...

or should we just do the discussion here so that we don;t spilt up the discussion....

I like this idea, Play

i had to come here to cheer up after reading some posts on other boards, although claygasm, you are depressing me. i love this cd and even though i'm not happy about the numbers, i see that overall, the numbers are down for everyone. and i do hope this cd has legs because it is such a great cd.

i did read those posts from what i consider backseat drivers, who drive everyone nuts. i thought it was funny that someone was posting that he should have released the cd in the fall, when during atdw, some people, probably the same ones, were asking why he was releasing it then. thank god clay doesn't try to cater to the fans because he'd drive himself crazy. all i know is that i will be along for the ride as long as he is because he is so worth it.

djs111, i love your whole post, but this one i can really relate to:

I have had enough people in my personal life who used to tell me I should have done this or that in order to fit their vision of being happy or successful. It wasn't about me, it was about their version of me. They are gone now, I am much happier.

i have 3 sisters who have all done this to me, as well as an ex, which is why they are no longer in my life. and that should be a sad thing, at least for the sisters, but i'm actually relieved right now, because as i was trying to grow, they were trying to hold me back because of what they thought i should do or want. and i am much happier also because its almost freeing.

enough about me. clay should continue to be himself, and his fans either need to accept him as he is, or find someone else who suits them better. that sounds mean, but i don't understand why anyone wants to spend their time on someone that they constantly want to change.