#47: That's not just any man... That's OUR man! You're a GOOD MAN, Clay Aiken!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• President Obama needed advice from a Stimulus Package Expert.
    • I will watch with Clay on it. And TIVO it, and wat it multi-times, and in freeze frame.
    • Let's celebrate what's good about him, his music, his philanthropy, his good looks, his great voice, his everything!
    • He was just a singer on a stupid reality show and would disappear like Kaiser Sose!
    • This guy is worth all the love we can bestow on him!
    • What a joy it was to sit right there and watch "naked" Clay singing "naked" songs.
    • Clay is Wicked Awesome!
    • Two words: Aiken Fog.
    • ...phone book...mumble...mumble...
    • Clay Aiken has wicked game
    • 6 years and counting and he's still curling toes.
    • My game is wicked...
    • No matter what Clay says or does, SOMEBODY will get their panties in a wad.
    • He's Clay Aiken. He sneezes in style.
    • Clay Aiken=Me fan Squared to the nth degree for life!
    • He is...therefore I fan.
    • The perfect mix of voice, comedy, and just plain humanity.
    • I never said I wasn't crazy. I just said that I wasn't a Claymate.

Do you have a job?

CAP MR/DD worker. I work with a 13-year old young man with autism.

Do you have any formal singing training?

Occasional coaching for auditions.

Where have you performed before?

School functions in high school. Host of the North Carolina Music Connection.

When did you first start to sing?

I've been singing for as long as I can remember. My mother would say I've been singing since 18 months.

What is your favorite song to sing?

"Unchained Melody".

What is the first concert you went to?

I don't really know.

What is the last concert you went to?

James Taylor.

What other talents do you have?

I can turn both of my feet around backwards.

If you don't make it on AMERICAN IDOL, what will you do?

Prepare for graduation and a career teaching students with special needs.

What are your goals in life?

Success, happiness, stability. I would love to be known as a generous and selfless person.

What album would your friends be surprised you own?

My tastes are pretty eclectic. I can't think much would surprise them.

What is the first CD you ever bought?

Don't know.

What is in your CD player right now?

"This Is Who I Am" by Jody McBrayer.

Who is your AMERICAN IDOL?

My mother is the strongest person I know.

What is your favorite type of music?

I love music with strong melodies where the singer really has to sing. I like jazz, some slow R&B and pop/country ballads.

What is your favorite song?

Don't know.

Favorite male pop artist?

Jon Secada or Peter Cetera.

Favorite female pop artist?

Country crossovers like Shania Twain and Faith Hill.

Favorite album?

I LOVE James Taylor's "Hourglass."

Who in the music world do you think your style is most like?

A little Harry Connick, Jr., a little Elton John, a little Jon Secada.

Most embarrassing moment?

Goodness, I've gotten so used to embarrassing myself that I don't really get embarrassed that often.

If you couldn't sing, which talent would you most like to have?

I wish I could draw like my friend Meredith. Even her handwriting is art!

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

I'm pretty dang proud of being in the final 32 of AMERICAN IDOL.

What is your definition of an AMERICAN IDOL?

Someone with a talent that leaves a mark on American society and inspires people to think, feel, love, act.

Why do you want to be an AMERICAN IDOL?

American celebrities have an amazing amount of influence on the way America thinks, feels and acts. I think that such influences should be used in the most positive way possible.

Do you think the audition process was fair?

Tough, but fair. I probably would have voted a different way a few times, but the judges' jobs were very tough. VERY.

Who is your favorite judge and why?

Randy. He is probably the best at giving truly constructive criticism.

Who is your least favorite judge and why?

I'm not stupid enough to answer thiss question.

What advice do you have for other hopefuls?

Believe in yourself and practice, practice, practice.

What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I don't really hide much. Not many surprises here.

Who did you think was going to win last season?

Probably Tamyra.

If you could be a performer from any era, which would you choose and why?

Big band in the 1940s. Music really brought people together during that era.

of course those were his choices 6 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Mom jmh, but I'm glad she's OK for now! Good luck with the caretaking...

As for Clay's "influences" -- I guess I've always thought that he really doesn't pay that much attention to WHO it is he likes, it's more the actual sound that he's trying to achieve. He seems to know what he likes sonically, and will take bits and pieces from all sorts of things to make a sound that fits him. JMO.

JMH so sorry about your mom. Very glad you had your family with you!! I know how much that helps. Good luck with work. Sending hugs your way.

I'm not sure of Clay's influences, probably a little bit country and a lot of the 80s and christian music - stuff he listened to growing up. He often feels like another era to me. I loved music in the 80s and I think that's why I love Clay so much. Couldn't give you an exact name of anyone -- he hasn't really said that much in that regard.

jmh, so glad to read that your mom is OK after her fall. She's a very lucky 95 year old.

I'm having my U-verse installation that day

:14:

As for musical influences, Clay certainly seemed to like Prince, or at least "When Doves Cry" (*wonder if he will recycle that on some future tour*)

Jmh glad your mom is okay

sending hugs to you :console:

as for the other conversation

soft songs and/or

big lights

to me it depends on the artist. I went to see Carrie Underwood and the opening act before them Blue Country was just two guys on stage singing & playing their guitars they were totally awesome. Actually purchased their cd after the concert.

I went to see Big &Rich in concert. There was a big light show, some things thrown out in the audience back up dancers.

Which show was better do me?

Both were just as good.

Luther Vandross sounded every bit as good in person as he did on a record. He's the person I've seen most in concert next to you know who.... a grand total of 6 times. There's quite the gap between first and second.

Somebody who can put on a show is Michael Jackson. Too bad he lost his mind.

Clay is the perfect mix of voice, comedy, and just plain humanity. I always walk out with a smile on my face. It's what I enjoy most - just seeing him on the stage.

claytonic
Did we talk about Sammy Davis Jr. before? I thought he had the most incredible voice. In college, my friends and I would sit in our dorm rooms listening to our favorite album of his. His voice was absolutley my favorite from the rat pack group.

I don't think we have discussed Sammy Davis Jr before. Mr D was a superb entertainer. It is tragic that he died prematurely but it was not surprising since he didn't look after himself. He chain-smoked and drank too much, and didn't eat enough. The irony is that his rider stipulated cooking facilities in his suite because he loved to cook, but he didn't eat his cooking, it was always for others. His voice was in a league of its own, I agree he was the best of the rat pack. Just talking about him brings back memories of his Mr Bojangles performance at the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House. You know, I thought of him when Obama was elected because if anyone had reason to punch a "YES" fist in the air, it was him.

I recall from the OMWH promo that he mentioned at least twice that one of the songs he did had a
James Morrison
vibe, or was it Morrissey (lead singer of an English group, the Smiths). He said something about the person being British, but that doesn't help because they are both British. Is this a current influence for Clay? And does anyone remember where he talked about this?

Could it be James Morrison, the famous jazz muso from Down Under? (Only kidding!)

Somebody who can put on a show is Michael Jackson. Too bad he lost his mind.

If I had a dying wish to see one artist in concert in a house seat, I might have to choose Michael Jackson over our beloved Clay. But it would have to be the Michael Jackson of the Thriller era. IMO, there just hasn't been any other artist (in their prime) quite that talented as an all-round entertainer. It does appear that he has "lost his mind", it is just so sad that he's still around but not really.

ETA: Someone who went to the premiere of THRILLER - LIVE at the West End Lyric Theatre said it was just brilliant. Some of the Jackson siblings were there as well.

I always loved Xtina's voice the most, of all the "divas". Except for the overdone melisma at times.

Of course, I think waaaaaay back to when I sorta liked Buffy Ste. Marie - maybe I used up all my tolerance for the warbly stuff!

I don't really have a favorite female singer, it tends to change but a lot of the time, I'd have to say CA (hey, same initials!) is the front runner. I also agree about the melisma, that's the reason I am not overly crazy about Mariah, and what I found also annoying about Guy Sebastian, the first Aussie Idol.

Tribeca's sig

I almost had a psychic boyfriend once. He dumped me before we met.

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Clay is the perfect mix of voice, comedy, and just plain humanity. I always walk out with a smile on my face. It's what I enjoy most - just seeing him on the stage.

Thread title!!

{{{jmh & family}}}

To me, Clay is just unlike anyone else - I don't hear any influence except...Clay. He's unique - a chameleon - adapting his voice and style to whatever he's singing. And they all work! I honestly can't think of another contemporary entertainer who can do that. He's a throwback, without question. In any other era but this jaded one I think he would have been unstoppable. It's funny - the artist I would compare him to is funny, can be bawdy, can act and when she is serious, can sing like crazy. Bette Midler.

Good Morning Everyone,

32 Days until Daylight Savings Time!

:yahoo:

44 Days until The First Day of Spring!

:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

(((jmh123)) and family Gosh, if the rest of your family are your size, I can imagine lifting was a struggle! Tell your brother to be careful! You don't need another invalid if he puts his back out.

The state of health care on both sides of the border is terrifying these days.

Clay's influences?....I believe he's always, in every way, tried to be the "one and only, original Clay Aiken"...and succeeded admirably. :)

Claytonic, isn't that funny re the initials! But yes, Christina is a favorite of mine as well. That girl can SANG!!

Yes cindilu2 Bette Midler is a great performer! I saw her in 1974 when she had the Harlettes as her back up singers. She was phenomenal! The next time I went to a concert was to see Michael Jackson in 1983 or 4. OMG 50,000 screaming kids in the Buffalo Bills stadium.....nightmare but my 9 year old daughter loved it.

That same year I saw both Barry Manilow and Willie Nelson. I don't like either of them but they did put on a good show.

Then I didn't go see anyone else until I saw the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels tour. The only thing I remember other than they were so loud was my DD wanted to know what the rather sticky sweet smell was, coming from all around us. Of course I had no idea what she was talking about*g* It was so bad we left our seats and stood for most of the concert.

Then I saved myself by remaining pure until HE came along. AI2 tour...yeah babee. And the rest as they say is history.

Clay will always march to his own beat and that's why he interests me so.

claytonic Did we talk about Sammy Davis Jr. before? I thought he had the most incredible voice. In college, my friends and I would sit in our dorm rooms listening to our favorite album of his. His voice was absolutley my favorite from the rat pack group.

For me, Sammy Davis Jr. = What Kind of Fool Am I. Anthony Newley stopped the show on Broadway every night with this song, his song, from Stop the World I Want to Get Off (at the Shubert Theater, btw) -- but nobody, NOBODY sang it like Sammy and even after Newley recorded it, and Tony Bennett recorded it with some success, then Sammy did it too -- and won the Grammy for Song of the Year. (ooooooo - another successful cover, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

It's a favorite from my early teens, but I always love a big, dramatic song with an emotional climax at the end - like Roy Orbison's Running Scared, for instance. I'm such a sucker for the schmaltz!

hee, I actually witnessed KAndre eating pate. (Well, at least for a second or two.)

Okay, so who's coming to merrieeee's party before the Clay concert in Houston? We need to start early, don't ya think? It may be cray-zeeeee but I'm down!

{{{jmh}}} :thbighug-1:

LdyJ-- I miss you!

Couchie -- You continue to amaze me. Just because I haven't been posting much lately, doesn't mean I'm not appreciating, cuz I DO.

This board has such an interesting collection of smart, independent, and crazy women. You.got.me.

Oh geez, now we're back to Clay's musical influences again? :cryingwlaughter:

I am a concert whore. I was going to concerts before Clay was even born. :P I can't begin to list them all......the artist I had seen the most times in concert, before Clay, was probably Paul McCartney a couple of times, or maybe Elton John a couple of times. I am going to see David Cassidy this Friday with some friends. I just love live music, always have.

Looks like I have something to add to the countdown! :yahoo:

EW Article

Clay Aiken to appear on 'America's Next Top Model'

Feb 4, 2009, 09:11 AM | by Lynette Rice

Categories: TV Biz

EW has learned exclusively that American Idol's season 2 runner-up Clay Aiken will participate in an acting challenge with the ladies -- and serve as a guest judge on the panel -- in an April episode of America's Next Top Model. Ciara will also stop by for a photo shoot that week but -- ah, who cares! Claymates set your Tivo now! The series' 12th cycle kicks off Feb. 25 on The CW.

Awwww.... I hate America's Next Top Model!

Clay Aiken will be broadening horizons for me, I guess.

ETA: APRIL??? *paces* Wonder what his hair's going to be like!

Awwww....
I hate America's Next Top Model!

Clay Aiken will be broadening horizons for me, I guess.

ETA: APRIL??? *paces* Wonder what his hair's going to be like!

OMG I HATE it too! At first I tried watching it because I figured Tyra was Clay's good friend... but it became just too painful, and there are far, far better programs on TV that I won't even watch!

But I'll wait for the Clay Aiken ANTM clip to show up on YouTube!!

I have to say, I have become slightly "hooked" on Amy Winehouse.

I knew she'd won 5 Grammys (Grammies?) out of 6 nominations in 2008, but the bad press and her awful image just killed any curiosity that I would normally have about such a runaway success.

Then I watched XFactor 2008 and one of the contestants did Amy's "I'm No Good" as her audition, and I just loved the song! I particularly loved the line "I cheated myself, like I knew I would". It reminded me of myself when I was a smoker. When I started smoking, a pack contained 20 cigarettes, so I'd say I smoked half a pack a day, then it became one pack a day. Then when the pack size increased to 50, I would continue to say "I smoke just a pack a day". Yeah, I cheated myself, like I knew I would. (I've long since quit smoking - my lungs and bank balance thank me.)

{{{{{{jmh & jmhmomma & jmhsiblings}}}}}} Stoopid people who won't admit they can't do something (small woman who was trying to lift your momma) frost my tutu.

tribeca... thanks for bringing over that profile. I hadn't seen it before and enjoyed reading it.

Ooooo... Clay and Tyra together again. I am so there. I can't wait to see what kind of acting challenge he's going to do with them. I bet it's comedy!

Oh geez, now we're back to Clay's musical influences again? :cryingwlaughter:

I am a concert whore. I was going to concerts before Clay was even born. :P I can't begin to list them all......the artist I had seen the most times in concert, before Clay, was probably Paul McCartney a couple of times, or maybe Elton John a couple of times. I am going to see David Cassidy this Friday with some friends. I just love live music, always have.

I haven't gone to many concerts in my life, remember going to see Tom Jones with my mother, she liked him too. But things have changed since clay came into my life,lol. I definitely plan on seeing him in concert, after seeing him in spamalot six times in a row, I even more hooked. I just can imagine how it will be to see him singing his songs live.

Ooooh, see I was one of those bad people who didn't like live music in general because it didn't sound like my 45 (and no, I wasn't an album person - I was always a singles person). A pop lovin' princess, that's me? The only exceptions were Prince and jazz.

Personally, I am not a fan of reality shows...find most of them to be pretty mind-numbing...but for Clay...he always manages to get me to watch shows I don't like...remember when he was on that Nick show...watched for two hours just to see him...I really must love the guy!

Kim