#52: "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."

jmh123

Thread title poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I am so grateful for a board that is celebrating The Clay!
    • We have no idea in hell what Clay is up to. We hope he's happy.
    • God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.
    • He's made a changed woman out of me!
    • Clay Aiken - Better than burnt weinies!

:GM_FCA:

107 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I agree that seeing Clay is concert is very memorable. His reactions with the audience is something that keeps every concert different. Before I saw Clay for the first time I had gone to a concert of a well known Country singer, who I had heard was very good. My hubby and I were looking forward to it. I was so disappointed. It was about 90 degrees that night. He came out in a turtle neck and blazer and from the very beginning to the end never moved from one spot. Did not interact hardly at all with the audience. We both felt we could of put a CD in and listened and got just as much out of it. Seeing him live did not entertain us at all. Shortly after that I saw Clay and what a difference. I have enjoyed every concert by Clay that I have attended, and hope to God to see him many times more. I need to hear him sing.

I agree that seeing Clay is concert is very memorable. His reactions with the audience is something that keeps every concert different. Before I saw Clay for the first time I had gone to a concert of a well known Country singer, who I had heard was very good. My hubby and I were looking forward to it. I was so disappointed. It was about 90 degrees that night. He came out in a turtle neck and blazer and from the very beginning to the end never moved from one spot. Did not interact hardly at all with the audience. We both felt we could of put a CD in and listened and got just as much out of it. Seeing him live did not entertain us at all. Shortly after that I saw Clay and what a difference. I have enjoyed every concert by Clay that I have attended, and hope to God to see him many times more. I need to hear him sing.

I can so relate to this!! I went to see Jackson Brown and fell asleep at his concert. This is someone whose music I love, but he was so boring! He just sat on a stool and sang - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

On the flip side, I went to see Carole King and, while I love her music, I was very concerned about it - just figured she'd sit at the piano and sing. WRONG!! She was funny and charming and wonderful in concert.

The first time I had the opportunity to see Clay (other than AI2 tour) was at JNaT - Merrillville 2006 (can I pick them or WHAT!?!). He just walked on the stage and I was mesmerized (we won't go into graphic detail). He sang and I was mesmerized. He opened his mouth and started talking and I was in love all over again. Funny, charming, handsome and a voice like no other. I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED A TOUR!!!

About Clay concerts... (I've been to a few...) :cryingwlaughter:

What always gets me is I can't stop grinning and watching his every move, even if it's thru a camera,

and if it is thru a camera, I am usually holding my breath a lot, or just definitely trying to control the breathing!

And I can't stop thinking about what it must be like to HIM, seeing all these fans staring up at him with all the SEG's on their faces.

I think the quality of the performance goes up according to the positive feedback from the audience. Especially with Clay. :snoopy:

PaulClay.gif Concerts in general,

I've been to a bunch, and Clay is at the top right next to Paul McCartney!

Who I am seeing in 3 weeks at CitiField in Flushing!! w00t!! :dancingpickle:

And then again in DC at FedEx Field!! d0uble w00t!!

:04:

On the home front, I have been up to my elbows in vinyl this past few days, making a tonneau for the Morgan.

After a few setbacks and sewing machine malfunctions (the damn things hate me!) I've got blisters on mah fingers...

and I'm almost finished. One Over-the-door flap and about a dozen special-type grommets to go!!

This is what I wanted to do to the sewing machine yesterday! :breakpc2:

We are taking the newly-improved Morgan to our annual meet this year, it is almost totally back together!

(Those who were paying attention last summer may remember the drama involved with getting the parts back

from the paint shop last year and putting it back together in time, which didn't happen!)

Here's what it looks like, as of a few months ago... it now has doors and stuff! (and a tonneau!)

th_DSC03227.jpg

HAPPY FOURTH EVERYBODY!

We'll be away at our Morgan Owners Gathering... :BlowKiss:

eta: forgot to say Welcome Newbies!!! dancing-welcome.gif

and... Happy Birthday to all I've missed!!

pushingcake.gif

I am so jelous of all of ya'll :D cause I have never been to a concert before, so I can't have an opinion. ^_^ I really hope to go to one at some point. Although as in odds of going to one a (Clay concert) are around 1% cause I can't afford to travel outside the city or state. And I don't mean to bash anyone but whoever sets up tours for him sucks. I mean Clay's one of the idols who has'nt had international concert or anything for his international fanbase. And hell there are some states that have never seen Clay either.

Sorry for the "I wish I can see Clay rant" but that's the truth to me.

The Official Blog of the N.C. State Fair Press Office

Behind the scenes with…Mike Pleasant, concert manager (Part 1)

The N.C. State Fair kicks off in a few months, but there’s a ton of preparation already in motion. We’ll bring you behind-the-scenes interviews with fairgrounds employees working to bring you “A Whole Lotta Happy” when the gates open Thursday, Oct. 15.

<snip>

Because he has so much interaction with these stars, I had to ask him what his favorite shows over the past few years have been.

That is a hard question. We have had some good shows in Dorton the past seven years and it’s hard to pick just one. I will give you my top five.

Brad Paisley - They put a boat on stage and he had the place rocking that night. He is a super great guy and he and his entire group were great to work with. He was our first sell-out show.

Clay Aiken - It was a hard show to work because for the first time we had two shows that day. The first show sold out in 9 minutes and the second show sold out in 11 minutes. There was such a buzz in the arena before the show that you could just feel the excitement. People came from all over the U.S. to see this show. There were as many people from out of state as there were from N.C. We had big screens set up on both sides of the stage and people taped the show from all angles. It took the crew 7 hours to build the set for the stage. They put in an elevator to raise him up through a clam shell with fog and he walked down a set of stairs to the stage. I will never forget how loud the crowd got when they saw him come up out of the fog. The stage was beautiful and the light show was unbelievable.

MercyMe - Our first sell out Christian concert. Everyone was into the show and singing along with the music. They also delivered a great message that night. I still have people to tell me how much they enjoyed that concert.

Kellie Pickler - Her show was good but it is what she did after the show that impressed me the most. She stayed for two and a half hours and signed autographs and had pictures taken with fans. She was very humble. When she had finished signing all the autographs she wanted to have her picture made with all the police officers and my crew for herself. I thought that was nice.

Chris Daughtry - He created a buzz and had a packed house. It was so loud that night that you could hardly think inside the arena. People had a great time that night and got their money’s worth.

<snip>

Watch the video and let us know–who are you hoping to see in the concert lineup come Monday?

The first time I had the opportunity to see Clay (other than AI2 tour) was at JNaT - Merrillville 2006 (can I pick them or WHAT!?!). He just walked on the stage and I was mesmerized (we won't go into graphic detail). He sang and I was mesmerized. He opened his mouth and started talking and I was in love all over again. Funny, charming, handsome and a voice like no other. I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED A TOUR!!!

You sure can pick them, I was at that concert too! He so funny that night, looked amazing..I do miss the long hair and when he hit the note in All Is Well...that was a moment I will never forget. I remember sitting there and the whole audience willing him to make that note...you could have heard a pin drop and when he did...the whole place erupted! I still get chills when I watch it.

Interesting Clay story from that night...while we were waiting in line to get it, we started talking to a couple in front of us. Turns out they were on their way back home from a day out, were driving by and saw Clay's name on the marquee and decided to stop and see if they could get tickets. They were embarrassed because they weren't really dressed for a concert (we all thought they looked fine!) Anyway, we (and when I say we, I mean myself and the group I was with) talked Clay up and told them how good he was. When we caught up with them after the show, the wife was crying and the husband was visibly moved...they couldn't say enough about Clay and the show.

Haven't kept in contact with them, but I hope they are still fans and I really hope Clay comes back to Merrillville at some point...that has become my favorite place to go for a Clay concert!

Kim

*wistful sigh* Someday I'd like to see a Clay concert. Clack is nice in the meantime. I sorta wish he'd come right to where I live, but the closest he'll probably get to me is Nashville or Atlanta. Birmingham would be nice...

I'm sad. I found out today that one of my favorite singers (Reba McEntire) uses Auto-Tune. :( Think anyone has ever tried getting Clay to use Auto-Tune? I hate AT, which is why whenever my friends tease me about how much I like Clay and other AI alums, I just say that at least we know they can sing.

I'm unfamiliar with AT, clayzy. Can you elaborate for me please? I'm not a Reba fan but I always thought she could sing pretty well. This sounds interesting to me.

She had a Broadway role and I doubt she used it then, clayzy. What's the source of this information? Sometimes on people's album notes it will mention ProTools, but it's being used for other reasons that correcting someone's pitch. Don't know what exactly, but Clay usually has ProTools listed in his liner notes and he clearly doesn't use it for pitch correction.

Wow, clayzycoffin, Reba?! A quick Google confirms the possibility.

According to the Boston Herald, "Country stars Reba McEntire, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw have all confessed to using Auto-Tune in performance, claiming it is a safety net that guarantees a good performance."

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I saw her in concert in the 80's and she was probably not (at that time) using anything to alter or improve her voice. I suspect her aging voice may need more technical support than it did then, but you simply can't outright fake a voice like hers. Don Williams opened for her and he was superb.

For a humorous look at what autotune can do, check out

Contains profanity, but it's pretty funny. Nice to see he can laugh at himself. hee

Caro, your new blog is lovely, thanks for the memories :)

Thank you, CM. I've been going through my DIRECTV movie stash this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised to learn Cotton emailed me her new July 4 graphic. This has since been added to my Independence Day blog entry. :whistling-1:

Have a great evening, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro listen.gif

-----------------------

Greetings from Carolina On My Mind

That T-Pain thing is too funny.

My Clay don't need that stuff lol.

If anyone likes tennis ESPN is replaying the instant classic match from this morning right now beween Serena Williams and Dementieva. It had me on the edge of my seat.

I have a question for Daily Show watchers. When they do their special Indecision shows -- is it a special where the political content takes up the entire show or is just a segment type thing... Indecision 2000 ---where maybe they do little clips for the entire season? I hope that question makes sense.

ETA: never mind..found the info.

sneaking in one tiny little blend (which is embarrassing because I know there's REAL graphic artists here and I'm more a slap it on the page kind of gal) but I just gotta put this out there because they look soooooooo so so so much alike :wub:

th_theguys3.jpg

Lovely job, Sue! You did a great match-up of their expressions. Clicking to see it larger in your photobucket was a treat. :14:

Got put on the spot tonight over Clay *again* -- daughter was telling how her hubby bought Round-Up to kill weeds in their lawn, and she warned him "Only a few spots" it would not be, once he got started. Sure enough, now their lawn has all these pale yellow spots. So I said, "I can understand that; it's like saving pix of Clay to my computer." Daughter rolled her eyes and said, "I knew it would only be a matter of time before you'd mention him." :boredsmiley:

And I thought I was doing SO well, too, barely mentioned Clay at all the last few times I saw them and the grandkiddies. Oh well, may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb -- I'll wear my CLAY SHIRT to the zoo with 'em tomorrow!!

:tongue57:

:offtobed:

I've seen many many many people in concert - everyone from The Ramones to Barry Manilow (I actually saw The Brady Bunch in concert *insert blushing emoticon here*)

What Clay has that no other performer I have ever seen has is his rapport with the audience. I have never seen anyone interact the way that Clay does. He pays extremely close attention to the audience members and makes them part of the show. He's not just someone standing on stage, singing his songs and then getting the hell out.

He puts on an amazing show every night - not by using fancy flash pots, or lights, or half naked background dancers - but with his mind, his wit, his heart and that amazing voice.

Just my two cents (do I need to put IMHO and YMMV here???)

ETA: YAY!!! 20 POSTS!!!!

Oh shoot, I lied -- no way can I hit the bed without saying AMEN and WORD on that. :naughtywag:

From the very first time I saw Clay in concert, I've always thought, "He's having SUCH a great time up there! and I am too!" He really does a great give and take with the audience -- sheesh, it's almost like genuinely making love, if I may be so bold? He makes the EFFORT to greet the audience, to entertain with all his talents. The only other performers I've seen who came close to Clay in that were John Denver and Harry Chapin.

Ooh, a Clay shirt. My mom thinks having his face on my chest is too obsessive, though, unless I got a concert tee. So, he needs to do a concert!

Oh, and treenuts AT is Auto-Tune, which is a digital enhancer for singers. You can hear an extreme case with Cher's Believe or, as shown above, T-Pain and even Jamie Foxx when he squawks sings. Mostly, though it is used to enhance bad singing and make them sound passable or make mediocre singers sound good.

:/ I can see why singers use it, but to my mind, the "boner" notes are nice in their own right. (How magical would Merrillville have been if he hadn't had a boner the night before?) I was ranting about AT to my mother and said I'd probably give up music altogether if Clay ever used it and my mom said she didn't think he did because he has some boner notes. I'm so glad I have a chance to put Clay and 'boners' in the same sentence. :hubbahubba:

You sure can pick them, I was at that concert too! He so funny that night, looked amazing..I do miss the long hair and when he hit the note in All Is Well...that was a moment I will never forget. I remember sitting there and the whole audience willing him to make that note...you could have heard a pin drop and when he did...the whole place erupted! I still get chills when I watch it.

Interesting Clay story from that night...while we were waiting in line to get it, we started talking to a couple in front of us. Turns out they were on their way back home from a day out, were driving by and saw Clay's name on the marquee and decided to stop and see if they could get tickets. They were embarrassed because they weren't really dressed for a concert (we all thought they looked fine!) Anyway, we (and when I say we, I mean myself and the group I was with) talked Clay up and told them how good he was. When we caught up with them after the show, the wife was crying and the husband was visibly moved...they couldn't say enough about Clay and the show.

Haven't kept in contact with them, but I hope they are still fans and I really hope Clay comes back to Merrillville at some point...that has become my favorite place to go for a Clay concert!

Kim

OMG, yes, Merrillville 2006, what PERFECTION that night was. Magical any way you can define it. I'm from Arkansas, near Memphis, and a Claybud in Missouri and I drove up together despite *dire* warnings from other fans and family about the snow and ice. We had no trouble and were so happy we defied "good sense." One of my all time best memories of Clay at Christmas. He put on such a show, sang all that time, and then did AIW -- for his ENCORE. I was amazed when Jane whispered "This is the song that he missed the last high note on last night" -- you could indeed have heard a pin drop as everyone willed him to make it, and then just pandemonium.

The story of the "casual couple" coming out so moved is so very touching and not at all rare, I'm sure. Clay is a *discovery* no matter how or when you discover him.

:GM_FCA:

Husbands...sometimes you just have to laugh...mine works nights and last night he headed off to work as usual, only to discover that he has today off for the holiday instead of Monday as he thought...so he drove an hour to work and then had to drive an hour home. Good thing I wasn't totally asleep yet and heard him telling this to the kids, other-wise I would have been freaking out wondering who was climbing in bed with me at Midnight

Off to do my usual errans this morning, grocery shopping and the bank. Then I need to come home and do some serious gardening...need to weed and prune and generally tidy things up. Also need to harvest some lettuce and spinach and pick some rhubarb. Should be a nice day for it; after two days of cool temps and cloudiness, it is supposed to be sunny and near 80!

106 Days until The BAF Gala! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

:helloFCA: So glad I don't have to work today. It looks like a pretty day outside!

ETA: OTOH, it's also nice to stay indoors and render stuff. I'm almost sorry I already did Frisco. Would love to re-do that today.