#39: "The little man is healthy, happy, and as loud as his daddy"

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• New car...See Clay in Spamalot...New car...See Clay in Spamalot..
    • Clay makes spending money on him so enjoyably easy ... and irresistible.
    • I am still here and I still adore this man and have no idea why.
    • Clickables and lickables!!!!!!!!! Life is good again.
    • He's this wonderful mystery. With a great package.
    • WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
    • With Clay Aiken we've already won the Lotto!
    • Never boring. Always expensive. And worth every cent!
    • He simply makes me smile when I see him.
    • Its not that I don't have a life, its just that these Clay things are so much damn fun!

Playbiller..what the hell are my coke rewards LOL. I signed up..NOW WHAT. Lord the things I do for me to see Clay. Although still, nothing more embarassing than buying that jr cosmo. LOL.

Well,, first you need to buy some coke, then you look for numbers inside the boxes, or caps.......

Playbiller..what the hell are my coke rewards LOL. I signed up..NOW WHAT. Lord the things I do for me to see Clay. Although still, nothing more embarassing than buying that jr cosmo. LOL.

Well,, first you need to buy some coke, then you look for numbers inside the boxes, or caps.......

oh, crap..I just bought coke yesterday but I bought those little mini cans.

Been trying to catch up since I got back Thurs. night. Painted 500 miles of road. Stencil used with spray paint and placed a marking on every turn, and when the riders will be on a long stretch, painted a straight marking, a feel good marking to assure that you are on the right road. My rt. arm is sore from opening the van door and shutting it after getting in and out of the van. At least I have the whole route in memory so I never have to look at a map while I am riding. It took up two full days to do this, both days we painted for 12 hours.

I am another one who is in love with FIEKY, that is one song that I repeat often.

When I left last week the announcement was just made about Spamalot. I know that I will never get to see this, but I look forward to nightly reports and of course stage door video. I really feel that it is an honor to be asked back. I hope they are paying him well.

Welcome back, gbmifan! That sounds like a quite a job.

From CV:

Here is a scan of the Time Magazine mention:

scan0001.jpg

Am I the only one who wishes OMWH got half the publicity the pending birth and subsequent birth of Clay's baby has?

Why does it seem the "gossip" surrounding Clay always gets more publicity than his work??

And to me, Clay will NEVER be known as Parker's father. Parker on the other hand will always be known as Clay's son!

But in a "gossip" culture - that's never going to happen.

I think I've seen Tom Cruise's couch jumping moment way more times than I've seen ads for any movie.

???

ETA:

OMG! I think the last bit on that page with Matthew McConaughey's placenta planting is hysterical!

But in a "gossip" culture - that's never going to happen.

I think I've seen Tom Cruise's couch jumping moment way more times than I've seen ads for any movie.

???

ETA:

OMG! I think the last bit on that page with Matthew McConaughey's placenta planting is hysterical!

True, true. "Reality" news has taken over as entertainment. The actual entertainment is secondary.

And I bet Matthew got the idea from that interview Clay did with Ryan back when he did the appearance on Days! :lol:

Do I "wish" for that CG? Sure. I think the album is great, and would love for more people to hear it. But, as Cotton said, the media culture today isn't interested in that kind of stuff, they want gossip, and possible scandal, and personal stuff.

IMO, I think the media about Parker has been really rather good, and I've been mostly happy with it. And, in time, this story may make way for more, better media about Clay -- and his music. Of course, it may not. I'm just talking out of my butt, as usual.

I saw the Time magazine thing on Saturday, and I laughed. I thought it was pretty cute.

I remember the interview with Clay and Ryan and talking about the placenta. Is it really a southern tradition? I had never heard of it before the interview.

Should make myself get to bed, have to work twelve hours tomorrow and I already know our census is down and I will be pulled to neonatal intensive care. They have really been busy lately. I have a really hard time being in one room the whole day, with about six babies. I usually get put in the grower room, so most of this little ones are about three pounds or more who just got to prove they can gain weight and keep it on. When I was younger I use to say this fullfilled my need of wanting another baby. I stopped after three and if I would of felt we could of afforded more I would of had another. So holding babies and feeding them all day is not really bad, I just get a little stir crazy.

OMG, I remember back in the hippie days--I knew someone who COOKED the placenta and ate it.

I gagged for a week just thinking about it.

I googled it and who knew? the practice of burying the placenta seems to be an international custom -- Japan, Turkey, South Pacific Islands, Native Americans, and that was the first page. Didn't see anything about Southerners per se. Maybe it's a Native American tradition still practiced in the south/southwest.

I am in love with FIEKY. Seriously in love. Can't get enough of it. :wub:

It didn't "grab" me and felt "unsettled" or something for the first part, so I didn't even burn it to my CD for the car. I loved IIEOOU though. I had to burn it for the Survivor Game at the Shed, so it grew on me. I can't sing along with it in the car though. It's sad that Clay can sing higher than I can, lol.

I'm all about ALAWH! I wub that song! :wub:

That Time Mag thing is goofy IMO, lol.

Luckiest1, I've had Father and Son on the brain all day, and that's a good thing. I think it's Cat Stevens' masterpiece. Maybe because I like it even better than Hard Headed Woman, and he could melt a 20-year-old kf with that one. Father and Son, it stunned me the first time I heard him sing that song. The line, "from the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen" was so riveting and "you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not." Still W-o-W. Killer song:

ETA: What the heck, I'll throw in a little Hard Headed Woman, too. It's always good for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-gBnv_FSmg

{{{Muski}}} You reminded me. After the C-section question I was going to ask next--What is it like in the beginning? What's it like to bring home a newborn baby and take care of it? Besides laundry and diapers, what else do you do? Feed it. Cuddle it a lot, sounds like. Do people show up right away to check out the baby? All your friends and family? Did you have a mother or a friend there? Was your husband helpful? I'd love to hear bringing home baby experiences.

{{{Muski}}} You reminded me. After the C-section question I was going to ask next--What is it like in the beginning? What's it like to bring home a newborn baby and take care of it? Besides laundry and diapers, what else do you do? Feed it. Cuddle it a lot, sounds like. Do people show up right away to check out the baby? All your friends and family? Did you have a mother or a friend there? Was your husband helpful? I'd love to hear bringing home baby experiences.

OMG jmh! The floodgates are gonna open! When I arrived home with the twins, everybody and their brother wanted to see them. In fact, they didn't even wait, they came to the hospital to see them! A neighbor across the street, an older married lady with no kids, offered to watch them for an hour or so and let me go to the grocery store or whatever, and I jumped on that offer like a duck on a junebug!!

As for what you do? Well, (of course I had two, and nothing to compare it with...) my grandmother had told me something I'll never forget. "One baby takes takes up all your time, so how can two take up any more?" It's true, both ways! And my mother told me some sage advice also, "Forget about the house, sleep when they sleep!"

It seemed to be back-to-back feeding, diapering, bathing, powdering, soothing, finally getting them to sleep and then just as you think you have 5-10 minutes to get dressed or brush your teeth, it starts all over again!

My sister came twice a week after teaching school and stayed til mrchach got home. I would either go out, or stay in and let her and her two daughters help as much as they wanted! My MIL came once a week and usually brought dinner and woudl do a little tidying up. It was a zoo! Others would drop by "just to see the babies" and once when the minister came to call, I had to tell him, "Don't sit there, that's a baby."

Once I came back from being out and both babies were hungry and I had to nurse both of them at the same time. Talk about hectic! I didn't have do that very often.

Let's see, what else did you want to know? I got to rambling!! Oh yeah, it was imperitive that mrchach help me! For night feeding he'd bring me the first one and take her and then diaper her while I nursed the second one. He is a fast learner!

Clay-related.... I'm sure he's exhausted and hasn't had much sleep, and I hope he gets some before the 19th of September! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

What was it like with the newborn? Sometimes I feel like the last of the old time people...babies simply weren't all that new to me...between my aunts and uncles and cousins, there's always been new babies every year and whoever was there fed, changed, patted, burped. I remember my ex trying to keep Paul and me to himself, but hell, my grandmother was there the first week. But even when it was just me and Paul, it just wasn't that constant for me. He mostly slept the first month, and I slept right along with him. And yes, he was in the big bed with me - I don't even really remember waking up to nurse him. Most of the newborn part was easy - for me the only hard part was when he was sick - that was constant - I hated the little blue bulb to suction out his nostrils almost as much as he hated it.

Heh - I'm packing! Taking off early Thursday morning!

Luckiest1,
I've had
Father and Son
on the brain all day, and that's a good thing. I think it's Cat Stevens' masterpiece. Maybe because I like it even better than Hard Headed Woman, and he could melt a 20-year-old kf with that one. Father and Son, it stunned me the first time I heard him sing that song. The line, "from the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen" was so riveting and "you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not." Still W-o-W. Killer song:

Father and Son always reminds me of Cat's in the Cradle by Harry Chapin. This is one of the most powerful songs about parenting, and lends strong credibility to the saying "Your kids may not always listen to you but rarely do they fail to immitate you".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHdjjHNEC8

Harry Chapin: Cat's in the Cradle

My child arrived just the other day

He came to the world in the usual way

But there were planes to catch and bills to pay

He learned to walk while I was away

And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew

He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad

You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon

Little boy blue and the man on the moon

When you comin' home dad?

I don't know when, but we'll get together then son

You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day

He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play

Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today

I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"

And he walked away but his smile never dimmed

And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah

You know I'm gonna be like him"

When you comin' home son?

I don't know when, but we'll get together then son

Well, he came home from college just the other day

So much like a man I just had to say

"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"

He shook his head and said with a smile

"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys

See you later, can I have them please?"

I don't know when, but we'll get together then dad

I've long since retired, my son's moved away

I called him up just the other day

I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"

He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time

You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu

But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad

It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as he hung up the phone it occurred to me

He'd grown up just like me

My boy was just like me

I don't know when, but we'll get together then dad

ETA:

I'm glad that there are people in the world who are "baby people". Sadly, I would not be one of them. Wish I was. I'm not.
:unsure:

Cept for this baby:

NAJNTpurdylarger.jpg

:wub:

canfly172, I like that baby too!!! And in that pic, he's a sizzling babe!!!

What's it like to bring home a newborn baby and take care of it?

...stepping off a cliff and landing in an alternate universe?

My oldest was colicky so I spent most of my time just trying to get him to stop crying, to go to sleep or hoping he kept his food down. I had just turned 20. I wouldn't have made it if my Mom hadn't been there for a week.

I was 22 with my first, and pretty green. The baby was quite colicky too. I remember walking around in circles with her (we had a tiny apartment.) The movement soothed her the most. I also remember getting no sleep at all, and being so relieved when my then hubby, now ex, came through the door in the evening, that I practically threw her at him. He was on the night shift, LOL. It got easier with the next two, because I wasn't so paranoid about every.little.thing. I even let them learn how to cry themselves to sleep (not for any extended period, mind you, but 5 minutes of whining until they drop off doesn't hurt them). I don't remember having a lot of help with the baby itself....my mom was unfamiliar with newborns and quite leery of them, as my brother and I were both adopted, but she was a godsend when it came to cooking, tidying up, watching the other kids, or doing the laundry. My two grandmothers were around at times, though, which was also great. Hee, my kids had a lot of grandparents/great grandparents in the early days. Unfortunately, that has translated into a lot of funerals for them at a pretty young age. They still have one grandfather and three grandmothers left.