#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Ahhhh... ldyj... :BlowKiss::BlowKiss: I think I love you! :cryingwlaughter:

Ain't he gorgeous!!!! Now to go watch Vegas clack some more. I had to work today, but this clack has made it such a good day.

And, it keeps my mind off the fact that my son is up fighting that Santa Barbara fire. He called me from there on a break to wish me a Happy Mother's Day.

This site has tons of pictures (without watermarks) from the show last night. I'll try to pull the clay ones if people want them....

Oh, and that reminds me. Cher's outfit from last night? That's something she wore originally in 1989 for a music video (I think it's "If I Could Turn Back Time" -- it's one with her on a Navy ship with a bunch of sailors). Sure, I went "WTF" when I saw that, but then I thought...man, if she still can wear something like that after 20 freakin' years...well, I sure can't wear stuff I wore twenty years ago.

Clay looked awesome last night...did I mention that?

Great to see everyone checking in. couchie, I hope you get home soon.

I had a nice afternoon. I had lunch with my old friend, her mom, brother & SIL, luckiestdaughter and luckiestmom. Then headed home to the boys......who don't seem to get the concept of Mother's Day. Ah well, one out of three ain't bad. :cryingwlaughter:

This site has tons of pictures (without watermarks) from the show last night. I'll try to pull the clay ones if people want them....

I had them all saved from there last night. Let me know if they haven't been posted here yet.

:canfly:

Aw what the heck...if they've been posted, they haven't all been posted on THIS page, lol.

DavidFosterFriendsConcertZj2z3NeIuN.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcertqnmQa9_nI0.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcertlt73wmt2Jf.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcertKxkoXUeBnL.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcerthvOpaeNuUa.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcertDQDBFs797H.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcertDOp_exf5dS.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcertDgOgLRxYUZ.jpg

DavidFosterFriendsConcert5RthEiBX3i.jpg

Damn, he looks good in those jeans! :hubbahubba:

I love the dark suit with jeans look! Whomever dressed him, should dress him all of the time, lol.

Great to see everyone checking in. couchie, I hope you get home soon.

Thanks Lucky...I got back in the bay area around noon. Been at my sister's all day...celebrated Mothers Day by waching 3 episodes of The Wire LOL.

Loving all the pictures!

post-292-1242011200_thumb.jpgpost-292-1242011185_thumb.jpgpost-292-1242011210_thumb.jpgClay at the after party from CV:Taken by GrannyM

OMG I love love love his hair!!!!!! Best Hair evah!!!

Yikes! Dey's BIIIIIIIIIIIIG!!!

ETA: Track that dude with the camcorder down and get his clack people!!!!

Still enjoying the clack.

My oldest son called from the other coast to wish me a happy mother's day. He complained that he was trying to make a donation to the Bubel Aiken Foundation in my honor and couldn't tell if the donation went through. I told him not to worry that many people have had that problem, just check his card. He said any nonprofit that can't get their donation page working has a big problem. He does a lot of web design work. Anyway the thought was nice.

My youngest son came over to bring me a box of candy. He actually stayed for a half an hour, which is a lot of time from him.

And to top off the day my neighbor called us tonight to come over for some fresh strawberry pie topped with whipped cream. I hate to admit it but for brunch I had a cinnamon roll french toast with marscapone cheese. Bad eating day. But quite tasty.

Hee my daughter made me a pear and apricot tart that was delicious and she gave me some wind chimes which was very nice and they took me out to see Star Trek! No i'm not a fan but it was a really good movie and I even got some of the references.

Regarding the finale, "America's Song" -- was the official song of the Obama inauguration, written by will.i.am and David Foster. It was made available for download on Inauguration Day, and the recording featured will.i.am, David Foster, Faith Hill, Bono, Mary J. Blige and Seal.

Oh Scarlett the whole experience sounds wonderful and all too brief.

How easy was it to upgraded your tickets? I'm curious, never having had that experience.

Lotus, in last night's case Artquest gave up her better seat so that I could take clack. Upgrading comes in many ways, different every time and often with total strangers. There were people selling Row B tickets outside the venue (they were in the tiers but they seemed too low for the stage and possibly vulnerable for clack)

For any Clay Aiken show, I consider a ticket as "getting my foot in the door"; my minimum requirement is to be in the house and to hear him sing -- but Clay Nation has always come through every single time.

ETA: Getty link

Thank you, Scarlett. What a beautiful job you did! Your are truly a Clack GODDESS!

Hi! Just got home and checking in -- tired but v. v. happy. I'm not caught up but I hope my roomie got home from SJ airport?

I can finally say I've slept with Couchie!!! And unlike with Solo, she didn't make me sleep on the wet spot!!! (Ooops, was that TMI? Repeats to self, what happens in Vegas...)

Thanks for all the kind words -- what a weekend!!! We need more of this... is it bad form to say that he was fantastic and without peer, but it was too short and over too quickly? /jk

:BlowKiss: to FCA!!!

ps. It's nice to have good friends but when they call up my roomies to tell them that I'm NOT TO BE ALLOWED ANYWHERE NEAR A ROLLERCOASTER, it's a bit much! But I love y'all anyway, eHP!!! (and thank goodness I've already been all the Vegas coasters anyways) *blow raspberry like cute guy did on Leno*

ETA: *waves wildly at artquest* Your seat rocked!!! :thankyou:

Lotus, in last night's case Artquest gave up her better seat so that I could take clack. Upgrading comes in many ways, different every time and often with total strangers. There were people selling Row B tickets outside the venue (they were in the tiers but they seemed too low for the stage and possibly vulnerable for clack)

I wanted to drop by here and thank Scarlett for all the beautiful Clack, and then I saw this. I have to say that Scarlett's original seat was totally exposed. She wouldn't have lasted a minute, so I was glad to give her my seat, about 10 rows further down. On the other hand, the view from my new seat was awesome! A great shot of the stage, no one in front of me, Clay two stories high on the jumbotron up to my left (takes a moment, then takes another moment. Wait till Permaswooned uploads her jumbotron photos), no crowds, no bother. I think I got the better part of the deal.

So hugs to you, Scarlett, for the Clack, and a wave to Couchie, whom I missed completely.

Having finally gotten feelings back in her fingers from beating her fists against the wall in Frankfurt because she wasn't in Vegas, KAndre checks in...

My recaps of Shanghai and Frankfurt. And yes, I haven't actually finished Tokyo, but being erratic is one of my charms. Somebody told me that once and I choose to believe it.

I got up at a stupid hour on Friday. Drove to the airport without incident. Checked in at the airport (because of the Chinese visa thing) and of course missed my upgrade and was pissed. Plane left on time, circled Newark at little. and I made my 54 minute connection in time to board early. (Yes, a 54 minute connection in Newark is insane. Have you just met me?) I had a window bulkhead seat (as none of my tall friends were with me, and I don't care about other tall people), the middle seat still wasn't taken according to the seat map. and it looked like a cute guy had the aisle seat. I met the cute guy because he couldn't find a space in the overhead for his backpack and the bitch of a stewardess grabbed my bag and Was apparently planning on moving it to Timbuktoo - without checking with me. I objected strenuously. She gave me a look. which I returned with interest, and the bitch put my bag back. I told the guy to stick his pack under the first class dude's seat, he did, and we were cool. We agreed that the stewardess was a bitch and it turned out he was going to Shanghai for the weekend too! Same fare, same reasoning (Miles! status!) Our friends all thought we were insane. We were instant soulmates - it helped he was cute. For me, at least, instant male soulmates tend to be tall, height -weight proportionate and charming. Strange, how that works out. We celebrated the empty seat between us, and talked and talked until sometime over the Artic Circle. the bitch showed with a little Hispanic man and sat him between us! I don't think this was an accident. Heifer. The flirting continued anyway, and any subsequent annoying of the bitch stewardess was pure serendipity. I didn't see the point of mentioning to the bitch that Tim was gay and I was much more charming. she should really see someone about the teeth grinding though.

Saturday afternoon: Tim decides to follow me through the initial public transportation system as I have actually looked some stuff up and was bossy commanding acted like I knew what I was doing. Tim was staying at the Grand Hyatt (the tallest hotel in the world) and suggested we meet for drinks at the tallest bar in the world. Definitely my kind of guy. We hop off the plane in the newest, emptiest airport in the world. No one was in there. and there was only one, I repeat. ONE, immigration agent. Then a guy showed with swine flu forms. one guy. Maybe 50 forms. 400 passengers. I got forms for me and Tim with minimal bloodshed but much bitterness on other peoples part. People need to learn not to stress when I get my stuff. the immigration guy looked at me, checked a book, looked at me again, typed somethingin, looked at me harder land no. I am never wearing try passport hair again. Never.) and finally lets me through. off Tim and I go to the Maglev. As soon as we clear customs. we spot anATM, each get a thousand yen and startsearching for a phone place so I can get a SIM card for me and Tim can rent a phone. After passing a big ol' sign that said "phone rental" (in English, mind you) twice, I ask the people at the counter next to the phone rental people where I could rent a phone. They slowly pointed next doors.I channeled nay cat, and pretended itwas all planned. Tim was still willingto follow mislead. We found out thehard way that cash is still king in shanghai. But it was on to theMaglev. which didn't look that far. After about 20 miles of walking, and bitching 'We arrive at the Maglev station, which was cheap, easy and efficient, It make us optimistic for the subway. We get to the subway station and I spend ten minutes trying to figure out the damn ticket machines and yes they had English on them. finally the booth lady (who didn't have English and couldn't understand my piss-poor attempts at Mandarin) and a random dude sold us single-tickets. Tim is still treating me like the leader I am. I love Tim. We hop on the correct train (thank you very much). I have 4 stops to go; Tim is 2 more further along. I of course get off at the wrong stop, but hop in the next. Tim gets off at the right stop. My summates tined to be smart, too. Heh. I get at at the correct stop. prepared to be greeted by the usual sunshine of my vacation, audit is pouring dour. Not quite a deluge, but enough that 3 blocks will get yore soaking wet. And I can see my hotel, 3 blocks away. and no cabs. and the street vendors really didn't understand me or they wouldn't have tried to sell me umbrellas for 20 frickin' yen when everyone else was getting them for 5, so off I set for the Courtyard. Lord, I love Asian Marriots! There I was, soaking wet, trudging up the driveway dragging.two. roller bags,and the doorman leaps to open the door,a bellhop grabs my bags. and the deskclerk pretends everything is perfectly fine. I head for my room, where the first thing I do is call Tim. He answers with my name, because I am the only person in the world with the number, beside the fact the phone's text is in Chinese, which didn't occur to either of us. I explain that -thane to change from the skin out. and will meet each otter at 7pm. And those who know me knew I took a cab even though it was apparently only a few station stops away. Man, I thought the Courtyard was pretentious the lobby was on-the 54th floor someone open the door, someone else showed me the elevator (which I could clearly see from the front door), someone else

pushed the floor button, (I may have been a little dressed up. Maybe.) and so on and so forth. I called Tim from the lobby and he came and got me. I think I have more pictures of his room than of mine. It was gorgeous. I need to sleep more with people who redeem AMEX points. Just for me, Tim changes into clean khaki shorts and a blue t-shirt. We get our first surrepitious glances as we head to the bar. I will get lots more of those. Tim buys me overpriced drinks and I discover he is some sort of modified Libertarian, but the drinks are REALLY overpriced and he is sweet. I decline to go to his party because I didn't sleep on the plane. and have to shop tomorrow.

Sunday morning. I hit the Science & Technology museum by mistake, because the underground shopping doesn't open until 10 a.m. It was a great museum, and the food court was different. You buy a debit card, andeach food station has misleading food samples. It was good even though I still don't know what it was. So off I went to the bazaar. And yes, you really need to start your bidding at 10-20% of the seller's initial offer. Like I got a new suitcase, pseudo Samsonite, and the vendor started at 675 yen. Swear to God. I came back at 50. Had to walked 3 times but we agreed on 175 (and then claimed she didn't have 5 yen change. Ha! The pearl market was glorious (and I did the tooth rubbing but have no idea what I was feeling for) but watched them hand string my purchases- I should have done 3 days in shanghai and 2 in Frankfurt. I went to the Peoples Square, where some poor ignorant souls tried to run a tea ceremony scam on me. I wasted about 20 minutes of their time. It was classic the girl approached me, speaking English, and asked me to take a picture of her and her two friends. they took my picture. They asked where I was from. I said Houston. and mentioned Yao Ming. At, yes! They said. What was I looking for? Parties, culture? oh yes, I sez, I just came from the Shanghai Museum (which was much smaller than I expected). Would I like to attend. tea ceremony? oh yes, I sez. Well, come with us! oh no, I sez they attempt to convince me, I just smile and keep saying no. They finally go away. Heh. all the travel sites warn about. this for European men. I guess I was the exception. And random native people kept taking my picture, like I was an exhibit. The young girls would stand next to me and have their girlfriend snap a shot. I don't know who the hell they thought I was.

The tacky pedestrian tunnel was closed though. I have some good dim sum as it wasn't hairy crab season and drag my buys back to my hotel. Tim has worked out how to call me, and we decide to meet for lurch, hit the big observation deck and go to the airport together.

Monday morning. I piddle around until its time to meet Tim, and take a cab again. However, the idiot cabbie lets me out at the wrong entrance and I have to walk around the freaking building.to get into the hotel. I go to Tim's rooms we decide to do the observation deck first, since it was finally pretty out. So across the street we go, Tim having foundanother clean pair of khaki shorts. I clearly just LOVE overly fashionable men. this is another setup where we have a minion every 10 feet. Ando the elevator ride was straight ort of "2001". The views were gorgeous though. Back we go to the Grand Hyatt so Tim can buy me the buffet lunch. The desserts were to DIE for. We go to Tim's room, he takes a shower and finds some more khakis (or the same ones, it's kind hard to tell) and head off to the airport. Tim sees no reason to cab it 5 blocks to the subway, so he has to carry my bags along with his. Testosterone is a wonderful thing. We make it to the airport with no problem- though we aren't sitting together, because I was haggling with Samsonite chick during check in. But we will meet in Newark to hang out in the President's Club (and drink some more) so Tim can tip the bartender for me. I love Tim. I have the window on the exit aisle and two fucking banshees from hell. Who howled from rage all the was to Newark. It didn't help that I caught a cold in Shanghai, Never have flown with a cold before, and as God is my witness, will not do so again without serious medications. The pain in my ears was UNREAL. I thought I was going to have to tell the pilot that we can't land. And 1 had one more flight. oh damn. Happily. Tim was Johnny-on-the-spot with White Russians. And I found some decongestants that didn't help. Tim brought me my drinks and headed off to Orlando and I drank the drink's and headed off to Houston. Managed to survive the subsequent takeoff and landing but felt like I had ears full of water for the next 2 days.

Tuesday: I call to have my mother's Internet fixed because she refuses to listen to anyone else. I listen to the clean complain that I wasn't there to fulfill Chui every whim. I buy every decongestant known to Man, some sort of specialized airplane earplugs, and ransack my medicine cabinet to see if I have any Codeine 3 left from my last major surgery. Nonrefundable tickets call for desperate measures.

Wednesday: I get up at a decent hour. Decide to do the cheap thing and take the bus to the airport.Have cheeked in-the night before, but still don't get an upgrade because my final destination is Frankfurt and I keep the same flight number throughout. No problems to Newark except for the typical delay. It's only a 767 to Frankfurt which means the sucky in-flight entertainment. I had the window bulkhead seat again, and a guy again had the aisle seat. He tried to strike upa conversation. However, it was clear this was not a soulmate as I would be shocked to find out he made 5'3" If I have to do my own suitcases, it will never work. Besides, he sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher through the damn earplugs. The food is better on the trans-Pacific flights too.

Thursday: We land in the morning, and I have to admit, going through customs was a breeze. Caught the bus to the terminal with the train station, no problem. Follow the clearly marked signs down to the train. Stop in front of the ticket machine. Push-the butter for English. and am stymied. I seems you have to know where you are and where you're going (in German) and select one of 20 buttons (which are not translated). So I randomly pushed buttons or the machine until a helpful cop showed up. Have I mentioned how musket love helpful cops? He pushed the right buttons for me , explained the anyway to work the machine, drew a map to my hotel and walked me to the correct platform. Life was good. I actually got off at the correct station (yay me!) when up the escalator and found the correct bus (going the wrong way, of course). The bus driver (who was HOT!) told me to catch the same bus across the street. Lo and behold, it was the same driver. He grinned at me, and I got on, pointed to my hotel address and off we went. a few stop, later. he pointed out my hotel and let me off. I couldn't figure out when or how much to pay. oh well. I have discovered that "4-star" designations on hotels are completely arbitrary. This was a perfectly nice Best Western: nothing special . though they heed to get rid of the carpet. I can't believe that Best Western was listing this at over $150 a night. and people are paying it. I paid about $32 per night including a really good breakfast buffet.

to be continued...and any minions who wants to edit this stuff, hop to it! Though I want the vast amounts of white space acknowledged!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE - thanks to everyone for the recaps, of whatever kind. Goddesses Artquest, Scarlett, and all the bringers of clack and recaps--thank you all!! For not being there, I feel well and truly laid. And ready to go again. :DoClay: Clay sounded wonderful and looked wonderful. :flirtysmile3:

KAndre, lucky I'm not a minion because I'm tempted but ultimately white space is all that is required. Screw the typos. Thanks for the hilarity!! Man, what a wild ride! Hope you are over the poorly timed illness. Are you sure you went to the Shanghai Museum--the one shaped like a bronze vessel? I love Shanghai. :wub:

eleid at CV wrote:

Now on to the concert. The whole thing was amazing!!! Clay came on earlier than I expected and he was fantastic!!! He looked the best I have seen him in a long time. Yes, Toni, he was f*cking gorgeous!!! I loved the medley and it was over so quickly, but David said he would bring him back out for UM later. Whew!!! I can honestly say that I will buy tickets for next year's show whether Clay confirms or not. I really liked everyone who performed, except for the opera lady. I'm not a big fan of opera. My second favorite performance of the night was Paul Anka and Donny Osmond singing Puppy Love. What a surprise to see Donny there! My first real crush when I was about nine years old. Donny said it was the first time they had ever sung that song together live. Paul Anka was hilarious with the version of "My Way" that he wrote for David. Charise is so cute, so tiny, but goodness that girl can SING!!! Then it's time for the finale and there's Clay out with the artists. Doesn't he look gorgeous?? I really liked that song they sang. Clay started the song off, but even when the whole group was singing you could pick out his voice easily. Then the concert was over. I was disappointed that there was no UM, but it was still wonderful.

Then we head off to the RM Seafood restaurant for the David Foster afterparty. First person I see when I walk in the door of the restaurant is Robin Leach (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous). I head upstairs and meet up with our girls, ymarie, angelty, stilltheone, and two other girls not on the boards. All the booths upstairs were filled, so we just hung out and chatted. There was a piano in the corner and we stayed pretty close by. A guy claiming to be David Foster's neighbor was hob-nobbing with everyone. He did talk to us for a bit and said he wasn't really a fan of Clay, but he did really enjoy his performance that night. David was late getting there and when he did arrive he went back into a private room to eat a bite. So....we're thinking....will Clay be here? No, he won't be here. But maybe he will??

While David was downstairs, we were entertained at various times by Brian McKnight (and his boys), Peter Cincotti, and the Canadian tenors, who sang a wonderful version of Hallelujah. Charise made an appearance as well, but she didn't sing..we did. It was her birthday so we sang Happy Birthday to her. At one point, Angelty and/or stilltheone noticed that Jerome was standing by the bar. Oh...maybe Clay is here!! Hopes go shooting up to the moon. Later, we notice Jerome is gone. Hopes come crashing back down. Then angelty says Clay has been spotted!!! When David is finally coming up the stairs, Clay is right behind him. Ymarie spotted Clay first and gently nudged me that he was there. Then Clay turns around and heads back down the stairway and goes behind the bar back into the private room. Wait!!! Clay come back!!! David sits down at the piano and plays the theme from St. Elmo's Fire (I love the song and the movie!!). Then he says "where's Clay Aiken?" Someone says he's be right there. And then there he is....just a few feet away from us. Ymarie and I had originally been right up front, but some rude people pushed us back a bit, so I had a couple people in front of me, but we were still so close!!! Did I say he looked gorgeous?? It's funny, his hair looked red under the lights of the stage, but at the restaurant it looked more strawberry blond to me. Clay and David worked out their key issues and then Clay proceeded to sing a stunning version of "Unchained Melody". The crowd went wild when he hit that high note!!! Then the banter about the end of the song, and Clay was gone!!

Here's my friend's pictures from the post party. Be sure to double click...they are biggies!! These pics can travel.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Good Morning Everyone

Back to work for me today; I could really get used to staying home!

Glad to see everyone made it home safely...still praying for clack of UM!

3 Days until Clay's Unforgettable Performance on 30 Rock!

:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Good Morning, FCA! :BlowKiss:

Long time since I've posted, but I usually read several times a week. Students are keeping me busy, and our spring recital is next Sunday.

Beautiful banner, cindilu2! :clap:

Hope Sunday was a special Mother's Day for all. Looking down the road 7-10 days when I will become a grandmother again. Please keep your fingers crossed for us. :wub:

Thank you so much for the videos/audio, Scarlett , et al; the wonderful recaps shared throughout Clay Cyber; the gorgeous Getty pix! From the live feed on my blog, I can guarantee they are a hit; there's lots of right-clicking as people depart. :P

The current Carolina On My Mind is about the above, as well as recollections of Mama Mac, the real character in our family. There are two clickable interludes, so several artists are represented. :)

The sad but funny part of my story is that my zippy little laptop is entering its second week of "busted," and I am working on an older model with the cord duck-taped to its plug. My mother would have gotten a good laugh out of that, and I think a certain singer would, too. :lol:

This site has tons of pictures (without watermarks) from the show last night.

Thnx for the link, Idy. Just added it to the blog. :)

:hug: for all who need one.

Have an awesome week, all! :clay:

Caro