#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

Eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh!!!! The National Inclusion Project has moved into the Top 30 on the Christie Cookie Contest! :twinklewhore:

Christie Cookie contest

It was also brought to my attention that your OFC membership includes a valid email address...which would be yourusername@clayonline.com.

If Canadians would like to vote with a genuine US email address....that would be one! :)

For those of you who have already used the addresses they have....please also use your OFC address!

Question: I already voted using my own email address, so how do I vote using my OFC email address when I've already voted and given my name with the email address??? Or does it matter that I vote with my name twice? Has it been shown that the votes from our regular email addresses haven't been counted?

Thank you FromClaygary. I was able to vote once again.

Canfly, I wish there was something I could do to help you. My husband and I volunteer at a school with very low income students too so they appreciate whatever anyone can bring in, including cookies I bake. This year the volunteers dropped from 20 to 9 so they are short on everything.

Well, I ain't bakin' no danged cookies, lol (CF hates baking) but one thing Mennonite moms can do is BAKE. Sadly, they don't "get" nutrition and send junk food in lunches. I do buy stuff like duotang folders, stickers, little whiteboards and the cheapest whiteboard markers that I can find for practising Word Wall words on...and a shitload of books.

Except for 4 or 5 ladies who rotate for the snack program, we have NO volunteers. Our parents do NOT volunteer in the classroom. I don't think that I've had a volunteer in my classroom in over 10 years. Reason? We have a HUGE majority of Mennonite families. They are Low German-speaking Mexican Mennonites, which means that they migrated to Mexico...originally from Russia, I believe and then from Mexico to Canada and many travel down to Mexico for the Winter, which is like a 3 day drive from Ontario, Canada. Low German is a spoken language, so many of our parents are illiterate and those who have had some schooling. Many of the kids are not allowed to go to regular High School (cuz they might get corrupted dontcha know), so they go to Grade 10 in a special wing of our school devoted to "life skills" like job resumes and computer skills. Luckily we have a full bank of computers, which all work.

I have one boy, who doesn't really talk and only knows 2 letters of the alphabet. I just had 2 new little girls start yesterday...sisters, 5 and 6yrs old. They have never been to school before and do not speak English. Luckily, I have lots of little translators in my class. All of my class but 1, has Mennonite ancestry. Some may be 3rd generation, some 2nd generation, some are just learning English.

This would all be fine, ifffffffffffffff... I didn't have one major ADHDHDHDHD boy. He's gonna drive me to drink. Yesterday, I was like "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Don't scare the girls!" He's all over the place and always has to be doing SOMEthing he shouldn't be doing. Worse is that he gets MAD, when he gets caught doing something and lies that he didn't do it and acts like he's all bent out of shape because I'm accusing him of something that he didn't do. Nuh, uh kiddo. I saw ya do it. Nice try. It's weird. It's like he actually believes his own lie. Now I understand why his teacher last year said that he scared her (for his future) because it's like he's a little patholigical liar.

Just thought I would share

240226890_4q4wX-M.jpg

I have never seen that one before! Nice tongue!

Eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh!!!! The National Inclusion Project has moved into the Top 30 on the Christie Cookie Contest! :twinklewhore:

Christie Cookie contest

It was also brought to my attention that your OFC membership includes a valid email address...which would be yourusername@clayonline.com.

If Canadians would like to vote with a genuine US email address....that would be one! :)

For those of you who have already used the addresses they have....please also use your OFC address!

I went and read the contest rules, and you are right, it's legit! One vote per valid email address. So whether or not you are Canadian, if you have any valid email addresses that don't link to a Canadian ISP (like Sympatico, etc) then vote, vote, vote! I have a gmail and a hotmail I can use as well as my clayonline one. Wheeeeee! :twinklewhore:

This would all be fine, ifffffffffffffff... I didn't have one major ADHDHDHDHD boy. He's gonna drive me to drink. Yesterday, I was like "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Don't scare the girls!" He's all over the place and always has to be doing SOMEthing he shouldn't be doing. Worse is that he gets MAD, when he gets caught doing something and lies that he didn't do it and acts like he's all bent out of shape because I'm accusing him of something that he didn't do. Nuh, uh kiddo. I saw ya do it. Nice try. It's weird. It's like he actually believes his own lie. Now I understand why his teacher last year said that he scared her (for his future) because it's like he's a little patholigical liar.

You have pretty much just described Stuart. I can understand the "drive me to drink" part. :cryingwlaughter: However, have you been given any special training in how to handle ADHD kids? For some of the more severe kids, there can also be other learning disabilities involved that might not have been identified yet. Perhaps you can get your kid in for some educational and/or psychological assessments? It's quite common for ADHD to be comorbid with something else. I spent all 13 years of Stuart's school life (K to 12) in a battle with the school authorities to have his disability recognized and accomodated. It took me 9 years to get accomodations officially in place, and then only with the added diagnosis of clinical depression and anxiety disorder, and then the remaining 4 years busting my butt to be sure that the teachers were aware of the accomodations, and were implementing them. It annoys the shit out of me that ADD and ADHD is not treated as a legitimate disability in the Ontario public school system. These kids need help and support and lots of positive encouragement. If we can get them through grade 12 (which is a real challenge for both teachers and parents) then they can be recognized at the college level for assistance. Thank God.

*gets down off soap box*

The volunteers at our school are not parents but employees of companies who belong to the Chamber of Commerce or retired people. This school is not a popular one to choose because it is off the beaten track in a run down part of town. It takes us about a half an hour each way to get there. Fortunately the volunteer coordinator appoints us consecutive sessions since we tutor two kids each.

I have the same little girl for the third year. She is very tall and is bullied on her bus, so we spend part of the time talking about how to handle it. The other child is a kindergartner who probably didn't test well. Obviously, I haven't met him/her yet. We start this coming week. I hope I have the energy with my "part time" job, which has grown.

luckiest, i hope your son continues on. I had to get a private tutor for my son when he was in middle school due to his atypical ADHD/ADD. He is doing pretty well as an adult as far as I know.:idk:

ldyjocelyn, did you share a birthday with ATDW? Happy Birthday belated birthday to both. Still enjoy ATDW.

And I am so loving the photo tourney. What surprised me about myself, however, is my reaction when one of my personal favorites of all time lost a few days ago (clay sitting on a stool, great jeans, black shirt, open stance). I realized that I am really, really attached to some of my images of Clay. And although we all love clay, those personal favorite images differ. There is no universal agreement on any pic to my knowledge.

keepingfaith, when you mentioned the White Album, I remember, I think it was last year, that there was a syndicated public radio show through prx (?) where, for two hours, a group of musicians, music critics, etc. took each of the White Album songs played it, talked about their impressions of each song then and now and the influences on the songs, etc. It was a fascinating two hours. I know it was made available as a podcast but I can't find it.

I remember Personal Best. I thought it was well done. I am thinking of a movie that doesn't quite fit into this genre but it had a funny, poignant scene (at least to me) that dealt with parents discovering that their daughter might be gay. It had "Beckam" in the title and it co-starred a very young Kiera Knightly. It was about a girl's soccer team in England. Anyways, the parents of the Knightly character thought that she was gay and the mother was in tears trying to come to terms with this new reality. The father comforted the mother by reminding her that she still loved Wham even after she found out that George Michael was gay. Through her tears, mother nodded in agreement and all was accepted in movie fashion.

You have pretty much just described Stuart. I can understand the "drive me to drink" part. :cryingwlaughter: However, have you been given any special training in how to handle ADHD kids? For some of the more severe kids, there can also be other learning disabilities involved that might not have been identified yet. Perhaps you can get your kid in for some educational and/or psychological assessments? It's quite common for ADHD to be comorbid with something else. I spent all 13 years of Stuart's school life (K to 12) in a battle with the school authorities to have his disability recognized and accomodated. It took me 9 years to get accomodations officially in place, and then only with the added diagnosis of clinical depression and anxiety disorder, and then the remaining 4 years busting my butt to be sure that the teachers were aware of the accomodations, and were implementing them. It annoys the shit out of me that ADD and ADHD is not treated as a legitimate disability in the Ontario public school system. These kids need help and support and lots of positive encouragement. If we can get them through grade 12 (which is a real challenge for both teachers and parents) then they can be recognized at the college level for assistance. Thank God.

*gets down off soap box*

:preachit: Yayyy I actually found a smilie that I wanted. The problem too with ADD and ADHD, if there are no other learning disabilities, is that people just assume it is a bad child or bad parenting. It is a rather invisible disability but a disability or certainly a challenge, nonetheless.

ETA: I was talking to my niece the day before yesterday and she has an child with autism in her class this year and, so far, no teaching assistant (I guess she is supposed to have a full time one just for him). She says she is spending her days holding him so he won't hurt the other children because, I guess, he lashes out at them. She is pressing for a teaching assistant so that he can remain in the class full time and she is able to teach all the children.

Just thought I would share

240226890_4q4wX-M.jpg

ncgurrl... thanks for sharing! I'll try not to drool all over it! :cryingwlaughter:

My oldest grandson is ADD. He just started college. He was in a special program thru grade school, but he didn't want to be in HS, so he struggled. We were so proud of him cause as a senior, he got a C average. The three years prior he always flunked classes cause he didn't do the homework, tho he got Bs on the tests.

It's a tough road for these kids and their families, that's for sure.

ldyjocelyn, did you share a birthday with ATDW? Happy Birthday belated birthday to both. Still enjoy ATDW.

ATDW was officially released the day after my birthday. However, it was totally a birthday present for MEEEEEEEE -- I went to one of the release parties, and I was also one of the few that had NOT listened to the spoilers, which had been released about 2 weeks beforehand. Therefore, on the way home that night, by myself, in my car, I had the pleasure of listening to the entire album for the first time. It was a great experience. (Almost drove off the road the first time I heard Clay sing one of those low "goooooo" in HYCA, but that's a different story...hee).

And I am so loving the photo tourney. What surprised me about myself, however, is my reaction when one of my personal favorites of all time lost a few days ago (clay sitting on a stool, great jeans, black shirt, open stance). I realized that I am really, really attached to some of my images of Clay. And although we all love clay, those personal favorite images differ. There is no universal agreement on any pic to my knowledge.

I totally agree with this. There have been days when I've been certain one picture would win over another, because that one was truly one of my favorites...only to have it trounced. And some of the battles I would have never predicted their closeness. I like that this tourney is showing exactly as you say -- no universal agreement.

cagney, it was Bend It Like Beckham. Excellent movie!

Yes -- and the main character was played by Parminder Nagra -- who went on to portray Neela on "ER." I love that movie!

Well, birthday weekend is getting back on track. Yesterday, except for breakfast out, hubby and I stayed home. Hubby ended up running a fever yesterday afternoon! No shopping and dinner out for us at all. It seems his fever has broken though, so we're going to Granite City (a Midwest chair brew pub) for their Sunday brunch, and then to see "The Informant" with Matt Damon.

Topic: I wonder how Reed likes taking care of Clay when Clay's sick...

Another ATDW fan here and damn proud of it :wub:

(Almost drove off the road the first time I heard Clay sing one of those low "goooooo" in HYCA, but that's a different story...hee).
:flirtysmile3: Me too!! I was in the middle of one of those crazy eight interchanges between freeways and it HIT ME! HYCA is one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite CD's by my very favorite singerman!!!

Happy belated anniversary to ATDW!!! :clap:

I love ATDW (and every other thing Clay's ever done!).

Reed's tour is done--wonder if he's on his way home to Clay?

He is in *my* world.

*g*

ATDW has some of the best vocals Clay ever recorded and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Feeding a whole bunch of people today from out of town and have been cooking all morning but before I leave until later tonight just want to say that I am also a ATDW lover. Before OMWH came out I had the CD in my car playing all the time. One of the best vocals on that CD is WY. I love that song and the way he sings it and loved hearing it in concert more. There is one song I really did not like at first and that EYGA. Then I heard him sing it live in Sterling Heights and fell in love with it. Clay will take a song and sing it live and it melts me.

Well, I just voted 8 times in the cookie poll, using my 5 email addresses and my parents Yahoo! email addresses. :hello: I might be able to remember some more old free addresses that may or may not be defunct. We'll see. Has the cookie poll news been spread to other boards?

(Now I really want some cookies...)

Well, I just voted 8 times in the cookie poll, using my 5 email addresses and my parents Yahoo! email addresses. :hello: I might be able to remember some more old free addresses that may or may not be defunct. We'll see. Has the cookie poll news been spread to other boards?

(Now I really want some cookies...)

Yaaaaayyyy!!!! :)

....and me too.....:)

I wonder if they would deliver some to us at the Gala??? hmmmmm......

:GE_FCA:

I love that the ATDW anniversary fell on the weekend when Clay's fans are amassing votes for the Inclusion Project, so I made it the theme of the new Carolina On My Mind blog.

Included is an interlude of ATDW graphics (** waves to cindilu2**) plus a short montage by LovesClaysVoice that you can add to Facebook, MySpace, etc., pages.

What a great way to celebrate love in ATDW!!! :twinklewhore:

Another ATDW fan here and damn proud of it :wub:

(Almost drove off the road the first time I heard Clay sing one of those low "goooooo" in HYCA, but that's a different story...hee).
:flirtysmile3: Me too!! I was in the middle of one of those crazy eight interchanges between freeways and it HIT ME! HYCA is one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite CD's by my very favorite singerman!!!

Happy belated anniversary to ATDW!!! :clap:

Love this! :Iluvclaysbutt:

Have an awesome week, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

Christie Cookie contest

I went and read the contest rules, and you are right, it's legit! One vote per valid email address. So whether or not you are Canadian, if you have any valid email addresses that don't link to a Canadian ISP (like Sympatico, etc) then vote, vote, vote! I have a gmail and a hotmail I can use as well as my clayonline one. Wheeeeee! :twinklewhore:

Well, I already voted using my gmail one, so all that's left is my clayonline one. Should I throw one in using my local email addy or is that pointless?

School stuff for luckiest, GDG, H2O and teacher-folk coming up...feel free to scroll...

*gets down off soap box*

Things seem to be worse as far as getting an early start in identifying kids because they won't even LOOK at a kid to formally identify them until Grade 3. That frustrates the HELL out of me because it's pretty easy to tell, even in Grade One, who the kids are, who are going to have difficulties. It doesn't take a crystal ball. Why not intervene earlier?

On the PLUS side, our board is really quick with severe cases. We had a little boy come into Kindergarten 3 yrs or so ago, who was one of those kept in a closet horror stories. The kid obviously was dysfunctional. He'd been bounced from foster family to foster family. Horrible. His Grandmother took him in and was his guardian. When he started with us, he couldn't speak, was extremely aggressive and somewhat volatile...the whole nine yards. They had an EA pulled from elsewhere and in there with him within 2 days. Whew. She was awesome with him because she had her own ADHD behaviour child at home. Last year and this year, he's been in a special class trying to give him the skills to integrate him back into the classroom. Last we saw him, it was the end of Kindergarten and he was allowed to play on the yard without his EA and I could actually understand him a bit, when he came to me, when I was on duty. He spoke somewhat like a deaf child because of his lack of socialization and a speech issue. He'll get integrated back in next year.

Back to my little darling... Here's where I can say things are better as far as identifying kids. They can't be formally tested or put on a formal IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) BUT they CAN be put on an Informal IEP, which the boy in my class already has been. He already has accomodations listed. I just gotta go through them all. I know that he was given a "doodle book" for carpet/listening times, so he can go to a table and doodle instead of be-bopping all over the carpet and kicking and knocking into kids (mostly not done on purpose...he just can't sit still). That seems to help. The other thing he has is this wedge-shaped rubber "wiggle seat" that's supposed to help him get the wiggles out BUT that DOESN"T seem to work and last year's teacher concurs. He ends up with it in his hands and fooling around with it. I think I'm going to get him one of those smaller dollarstore squishy toys that he can squeeze and see if that works. The teacher last year warned me that he needs a lot of structure. I'm not so sure...from what I can see, he needs a chance to go for a walk once in awhile, a chance to move around (which is OK in my room because it's tables not desks) and the option of a desk in a quiet corner. Most of the time, I've been asking if he needs a quiet place to work by himself. It's better if he choses it vs me telling him to move. I did turn it around because he was packratting inside the desk, lol. Another boy asked me if he could sit there Friday, so that's good too...if it's a quiet place for whomever vs just for he, who makes me count to 10...repeatedly.

Only "on the job" training so far for me luckiest. I'll keep my eyes open for workshops. I'm not consulting the behaviour specialist lady for our area. Been there. Done that. She's clueless. I had a major behaviour kid about 7 years ago and her solutions were not very helpful or practical. She's been "out of the trenches" for way too long.

The volunteers at our school are not parents but employees of companies who belong to the Chamber of Commerce or retired people. This school is not a popular one to choose because it is off the beaten track in a run down part of town. It takes us about a half an hour each way to get there. Fortunately the volunteer coordinator appoints us consecutive sessions since we tutor two kids each.

I have the same little girl for the third year. She is very tall and is bullied on her bus, so we spend part of the time talking about how to handle it. The other child is a kindergartner who probably didn't test well. Obviously, I haven't met him/her yet. We start this coming week. I hope I have the energy with my "part time" job, which has grown.

luckiest, i hope your son continues on. I had to get a private tutor for my son when he was in middle school due to his atypical ADHD/ADD. He is doing pretty well as an adult as far as I know.:idk:

Our school is "off the beaten track" also but we're "in the sticks" so to speak. When they amalamated some school boards a few years back, that put my tiny country school to be the furthest most Southwest school in a huge board. It's an hour from the board offic and extremely hard for people coming from there or from Toronto to find...lots of zigzagging due to concessions on weird angles to each other. On the plus side...it's a good "hiding place", lol. We have no volunteers of any kind. We do have 2 ESL EAs due to our "clientele". We used to have 3 ESL classes before I started there. By the time I went there in 1995, there was only one, which was a Jr/Intermediate class. 3 Years ago, they decided that the ESL kids should be integrated and the ESL teacher replaced by 2 EAs. It was a shock for the poor Intermediate teachers. Imagine suddenly having kids in your class, who were functioning at a Grade 1 to 3 level in Reading, Writing and not much better in Math. It benifited our Primary Classes because now we have an EA devoted to US but made it tough for the Jr/Int classes because the Jr/Int EA is spread between 5 or 6 classes (depending on the year).

:preachit: Yayyy I actually found a smilie that I wanted. The problem too with ADD and ADHD, if there are no other learning disabilities, is that people just assume it is a bad child or bad parenting. It is a rather invisible disability but a disability or certainly a challenge, nonetheless.

ETA: I was talking to my niece the day before yesterday and she has an child with autism in her class this year and, so far, no teaching assistant (I guess she is supposed to have a full time one just for him). She says she is spending her days holding him so he won't hurt the other children because, I guess, he lashes out at them. She is pressing for a teaching assistant so that he can remain in the class full time and she is able to teach all the children.

That's so wrong. The school boards need to get their heads out of their asses and realize that a situation like that is waaaaaaaaaaay too stressful for the teacher/the autistic kid and the rest of the class and screw the paperwork and get an EA in there STAT!

:rant:

This boy in my class isn't as severe as that but DOES take up a lot of time...and that's hard with 3 ESL kids, who need my attention for a different reason. "luckily" he's ESL, so he can get help from both sets of EAs and also he's a year behind academically. I think he's a bit weak but I think most of it is due to his inability to focus. I don't think it's because he has another learning difficulty...other than, your typical boy, who's not an "academic" child.

We shall see. Reading, I can help him with one on one, I have no doubt of that. It's just gonna take me pulling him out of Library on my prep for 10min when I can. Him reading in a Reading Group...I can already tell, that's gonna be rough.

I shall refrain from commenting re: ATDW, lol. I'll be good and just say...

OMWH rocks!!! (the CD, not the song, lol)

(the CD, not the song, lol)

Bwah!

The National Inclusion Project is at #8 y'all!!! Just under 3,000 votes. Not bad for getting such a late start :twinklewhore:

:yahoo:And my SF 49ers KICKED ASS today! Wiped the field with the Seahawks :dancetom:

content: Clay has a nice ASS

Canfly said:

We shall see. Reading, I can help him with one on one, I have no doubt of that. It's just gonna take me pulling him out of Library on my prep for 10min when I can. Him reading in a Reading Group...I can already tell, that's gonna be rough.

That is what I admire about teachers, going the extra mile for their students. Although I love working with kids, I can't handle more than one at a time. I hope you have a great year.

Canfly said:

That is what I admire about teachers, going the extra mile for their students. Although I love working with kids, I can't handle more than one at a time. I hope you have a great year.

It'll be a challenging one, that's for sure but my little friend is the only real behaviour issue. Last year, I had 4 and 2 of them were those defiant and "I don't want to" types. Really only two things push my buttons: lying and defiance...out and out refusal to do something simple and reasonable that I ask them to do.

The principal walked in to ask me something when I was reading with a kid last week and she asked where the rest were and I said in Library and she said, "You're reading with kids on your prep?" shook her head somewhat disapprovingly and walked away. Our preps are supposed to be for prep but frankly, it helps me to read with some kids during my prep. It's too hard for some in a group/classroom setting, plus I gotta get these DRA (Developmental Reading Assessments" done by the end of September, so gotta start those this week. Way too hard to do during class time unless there is an EA in the room. BTW, our Principal's daughter is in Grade 1 at another school, so there will be lots of "consulting" this year, I'm sure, lol.

I am however gonna be a very bad teacher on October 17th, lol. :whistling-1: